Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria (26059 Views)

5 Places To Learn Free Programming Lessons Online / Ask Me Any Question About Career In Dubai / Best Places To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
Table Leg :

I dont think they are "Top 5" though .....

I just think they are "some of the best" or "some of the top" ..... Not top 5!!!

I never said 'Top 5' or '5 best'. I used 'Great'.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 4:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

Thanks. I meant to use engineering as example of technical.

Ok cool.

Cheers
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by buchito1(m): 4:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
kneatswan: nonsense. Waisted mb
Stingy tin!!!!!!!! Aka aradite!!!
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by maclatunji: 4:51pm On Apr 18, 2013
i-smoke-weed:
@op : this is a good thing you did here. It is wise for a human being to want to excel in their area of expertise. And those companies are good in their own various fields, do you know that over twenty million people apply for various jobs in those establishments during their recruitment excercises?

well i think that there are over 600,000 unemployed graduates with internet facilities who will read this post on nairaland and SHARE it to a further 10,000,000 other unemployed graduates who will still sit down at beer parlours or the HOT STREETS and tell it to over 20,000,000 other unemployed graduates. And we know that at least over 2,000,000 NYSC members will join up to the numbers above by december this year.

To cut it short, the career pointers you listed in your post is not enough for our unemployed citizens today and it is very sad. I think a person should just build up from anywhere he/she is able to fix a stable foundation on, in the long run all fingers can never be equal, things change and time waits for nobody.

Even if those companies sack/retire their entire present staff in nigeria, they WILL get replacements for every single vacant position within a week and at the most hire just under 5 million graduates.

I wonder what the others would do . . . KEEP ON SUBMITTING CV'S of course

or what do you think?

True #LOL
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
You wonder why many graduates don't get jobs and the answer is not far-fetched.A great lack of attention to details and the inability to understand simple grammar.

Jarus wrote '5 Places To Start Career in Nigeria'. Some persons have now added several adjectives like 'Top','Best' just to discredit the topic.He never indicated that you will be a failure if your career does not begin in any of the aforementioned companies.The topic is not meant to discredit those who did not have the opportunity to work there.

Make meaningful contributions or just go and lick soup.THANK YOU.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 5:06pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

I never said 'Top 5' or '5 best'. I used 'Great'.

You modified the topic jare but whatever ... Good piece still!
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
Table Leg :

You modified the topic jare but whatever ... Good piece still!

No, I did not. That has been the title since I penned it.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

No, I did not. That has been the title since I penned it.

Ok. I get what you are saying.

I used '5 Great Places to Start career in Nigeria', which is still how it appears in my blog.

But the moderator on NL here used '5 Places to start career in Nigeria'

The mod did the modification (on NL, not on my blog of course).
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

Ok. I get what you are saying.

I used '5 Great Places to Start career in Nigeria', which is still how it appears in my blog.

But the moderator on NL here used '5 Places to start career in Nigeria'

The mod did the modification (on NL, not on my blog of course).

Ok cleared...It is the way we see it but i must commend you, well done.... hopefully people will benefit from the key messages in the content!

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by jummy05: 6:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus: For majority of young Nigerians, pay is the bottomline in job hunting. Other factors such as job satisfaction, career advancement opportunity, work-life balance etc. come secondary. This is understandable. In a country where poverty level is high and people toil to get themselves educated, you can forgive the young graduate that thinks pay is all that matters. In this article, I have compiled 5 great companies that offer great platforms to start one’s career in Nigeria. The definition of greatness is not necessarily by the short term returns, but more of medium to long term benefits. The companies listed are basically for non-technical graduates (i.e may not too useful for engineering graduates, for example).

1, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC): PwC is a professional consulting firm that offers services like auditing, tax consultancy, financial advisory and lots more. To me, if you want to be a thoroughbred professional accountant, financial consultant or tax practitioner, PwC is your best bet for solid footing. It is not for nothing that a good percentage of top finance executives in big corporations in Nigeria are PwC alumni. PwC is a great training ground for many professionals. The firm is also highly regarded for its integrity in business dealings. The pay for entry level may not be so juicy, but it is a firm that gives you the best of training as a young graduate and the return from that investment will serve you for life, as you become hot cake when you seek to move ahead in the future.

2, KPMG: KPMG is another great place for a young, non-technical graduate to seek to start career. They have almost all the features listed for PwC above and engage in same range of services. The short-term reward may not be as juicy as some banks will offer, but you can be guaranteed of medium to long term returns. KPMG puts high premium on professionalism and work ethics. It is a fantastic place for one to start career.

3, Accenture: Probably because their work is not one you see on the street, many graduates may not even have heard of Accenture. The sports buff may know Accenture as one of the principal sponsors of golf legend, Tiger Woods, but may not even know they have business in Nigeria. Accenture is another great place to start career in Nigeria. The technology and management consulting firm is a great brand. They are very professional and give young intakes value-adding training that will continue to be of benefit throughout their career, whether in Accenture or elsewhere.

4, Shell: Now, the big fish! Yes, that’s what everybody has been waiting to see. Shell is the signpost of multinational oil companies in Nigeria and it almost naturally comes first whenever a young Nigerian student reels out his wishlist. Getting job in Shell is seen as ‘money ritual’ and it is seen as the pinnacle of making it for a young graduate. This notion is driven by pay. Ironically, what makes Shell tick, compared to other IOCs operating in Nigeria, is not its pay, but its training. In fact, Shell is one of the least paying of the big IOCs, and some independent oil companies almost match its entry level pay package. But it is almost unanimously believed in the industry that Shell offers the best training for its young intakes. That is why IOCs like Total that pay more ‘poach’ Shell staff, who would have undergone great learning under Shell. Shell is also to a large extent merit-driven. Shell is another great place to start career.

5, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB): Some of us are not fans of professional banking career. But for those who crave banking job, GTB is the best around. GTB is strong, stable and highly professional. They are not doing badly in terms of pay either. So if pay is your motivation, you still have a dream in GTB. If personal development and future career is your motivation, GTB is still fine. Job security they guarantee too.

http://jarushub.com/2013/04/18/5-great-companies-to-start-career-in-nigeria/

I would want to disagree with you, Jarus. I don't think there is actually a particular place to start up one's career. Basically it depends on you and your orientation. It is not the company name that matters but you as an individual. You may get a job that has nothing to do with your career and you see no way it would mould u or even come close to moulding u into the individual u want to become.

The best thing to do is sit down and plan your career. See where you want to be in 5, 10 and 20 years, and then figure out how to get there. That should determine where you start from. If for example you only want to work for 5 years and then start your own business, then you may want to start where you will acquire a lot of experience and exposure. If, on the other hand, you want to have a long career, then you want to start where you stand the gain the experience, promotion as well as exposure.

I believe you should just be focused and know what you want and don't waste time to go for it. Lets talk about starting a business of your own too. Nothing surpasses working for yourself. Building a business and watching it grow over the years is very sweet and should be the dream of every responsible person. You may never understand the meaning of freedom until you start your own business. When you have more time to devote to your family and your creator in service..Soory to my Lagos colleagues who wake up as early as 4.30 pm (to meet 8.am resumption in the office) and get home as late as 10.30 pm (sometimes 11pm).

All those ACCENTURE, GTB, SHELL, PWC, KPMG and other similar companies where started by someone. The first step is to get a proper education in a practical course or get experience from an apprenticeship in a good career. Lots of Nigerians have made it in business, IT, etc. Making it in life involves a degree of wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by RealMccoy2(m): 7:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
jummy05:

I would want to disagree with you, Jarus. I don't think there is actually a particular place to start up one's career. Basically it depends on you and your orientation. It is not the company name that matters but you as an individual. You may get a job that has nothing to do with your career and you see no way it would mould u or even come close to moulding u into the individual u want to become.

The best thing to do is sit down and plan your career. See where you want to be in 5, 10 and 20 years, and then figure out how to get there. That should determine where you start from. If for example you only want to work for 5 years and then start your own business, then you may want to start where you will acquire a lot of experience and exposure. If, on the other hand, you want to have a long career, then you want to start where you stand the gain the experience, promotion as well as exposure.

I believe you should just be focused and know what you want and don't waste time to go for it. Lets talk about starting a business of your own too. Nothing surpasses working for yourself. Building a business and watching it grow over the years is very sweet and should be the dream of every responsible person. You may never understand the meaning of freedom until you start your own business. When you have more time to devote to your family and your creator in service..Soory to my Lagos colleagues who wake up as early as 4.30 pm (to meet 8.am resumption in the office) and get home as late as 10.30 pm (sometimes 11pm).

All those ACCENTURE, GTB, SHELL, PWC, KPMG and other similar companies where started by someone. The first step is to get a proper education in a practical course or get experience from an apprenticeship in a good career. Lots of Nigerians have made it in business, IT, etc. Making it in life involves a degree of wisdom.
I couldn't read your whole thread but discrediting Jarus list is not fair. He stated the fact, its left for Nigerian youths to grasp it. PWC is a great company to work for, Accenture also looks good in resum'e or CV. This is a well researched article, here in the states those companies are hot bed for young graduates. Read and comprehend before defeating the purpose of this thread.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Gabrielsylar(m): 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
U talk as if one will just wake up and trek inside accenture and pick a desk and start working and collecting salary....dis places re not even accessible to d ordinary graduates....
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by MosD: 8:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
I only wish people have options on where they can start their career in Nigeria
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: U talk as if one will just wake up and trek inside accenture and pick a desk and start working and collecting salary....dis places re not even accessible to d ordinary graduates....

What do you mean by ordinary graduates?

Definitely not someone that has good CV - with 2.1 or First - in any course, irrespective of who you are. Meet their age limit and good enough to scale recruitment process. No big deal.

And in all humility, the CEO of Accenture is my personal mentor (right from university). He mentored me from my university years and still in touch till today.

I interviewed him here: http://jarushub.com/2013/03/31/i-failed-math-in-year-1-because-i-thought-what-worked-in-secondary-school-would-work-in-university-niyi-yusuf-ceo-accenture-nigeria/
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by cdamsel(f): 8:35pm On Apr 18, 2013
Did u see KPMG's employment advert last week?they were looking 4 pple with max 15yrs experience & 6yrs min,so its nt a good place 2 start undecided
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
Really?For Graduate Trainee?That is quite some allegation.This is the same thing I was writing about.ATTENTION TO DETAIL.Jarus was referring to places where you can START your career.
cdamsel: Did u see KPMG's employment advert last week?they were looking 4 pple with max 15yrs experience & 6yrs min,so its nt a good place 2 start undecided

2 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by sixteen08(m): 9:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
Life is not fair, if you are expecting the good things in life without fighting and competing for it then you must be kidding.

Not everyone is cut out for entreprenuership jare and let's not hide under the clout of entrepreneurship because most people are lazy(I know the economic situation isn't helping matters) abi how do you explain attention to detail deficiency syndrome of our people,do you think its gonna be possible to be an entrepreneur if you can't run other people's business that your being paid to run effectively or even help the business run fine even if you have nothing to contribute to the business.

The thing is if you are cut out for entrepreneurship you'll definitely be one someday and if you think entrepreneurship is the highway to freedom and less work then you are just gonna end up in the subsistence cadre of the society.

If you can't be faithful,diligent and steadfast in little things please explain to me how you want to survive in a perfectly competitive world of today.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by cdamsel(f): 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
Phonon: Really?For Graduate Trainee?That is quite some allegation.This is the same thing I was writing about.ATTENTION TO DETAIL.Jarus was referring to places where you can START your career.
u also pay attention 2 details,my comment was based on their ad last week,check the guardian,its no allegation besides hw often do dey call 4 graduate trainee
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
cdamsel: u also pay attention 2 details,my comment was based on their ad last week,check the guardian,its no allegation besides hw often do dey call 4 graduate trainee
I think they do but you have to be 23 years old or less I believe but you can always get a new birth certificate at any local government council. grin
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by cdamsel(f): 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
saxywale:
I think they do but you have to be 23 years old or less I believe but you can always get a new birth certificate at any local government council. grin
I'm nt looking 4 a job,already ve 1,was shocked wen I saw a position dat dey were asking 4 15yrs working experience undecided
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 18, 2013
cdamsel: u also pay attention 2 details,my comment was based on their ad last week,check the guardian,its no allegation besides hw often do dey call 4 graduate trainee

Bros, na wa o. So because we say kpmg is good place to start career, you expect them to fill experienced positions like the advertised one with fresh graduate, or you don't expect them to have experienced openings
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 18, 2013

Kpmg recruits fresh grads every year. In fact they go to universities to conduct tests for final year students.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by cdamsel(f): 9:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
Jarus:

Kpmg recruits fresh grads every year. In fact they go to universities to conduct tests for final year students.
jarus shey u no c F 4 there?I no b bros abeg.

Well I didn't know dey did,like I said making reference 2 d ad I saw
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 18, 2013
cdamsel: jarus shey u no c F 4 there?I no b bros

Don't mind me, damsel
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
cdamsel: I'm nt looking 4 a job,already ve 1,was shocked wen I saw a position dat dey were asking 4 15yrs working experience undecided

^^^

Current KPMG Graduate Trainees
Recruitment 2013 in Nigeria

KPMG has worked for clients in the public and private sector in Nigeria and in several
other countries, helping to transform
business performance and operations.

Do you like to challenge assumptions? Are
you looking to work in a varied
environment that enables you to discover what really makes business tick? A career in
KPMG could be for you.

We are looking for young, vibrant and
forward looking Graduate Trainees in the following position:

Job Title: Audit Graduate Trainee

Qualifications
Show adaptability, willingness to learn new skills and commitment to exceptional delivery
Exceptional oral and written commuication skills
Be innovative and creative
Be emotionally intelligient
Not be more than 26 years old
Have a minimum of 5 O’ level credits
( including English & Math)
Have a degree in any discipline
About to complete or completed National
Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme

Application
Closing Date
April 30, 2013.

Method Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs and applications to:
careers@ng.kpmg.com with Audit
Graduate Trainee - AUD-GRAD 107 clearly stated as the subject of the email.

You don't expect HR to recruit starters for an experienced position. When there is a vacancy to fill, it can be advertised for QUALIFIED people to apply.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by cdamsel(f): 10:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
Mustay:

^^^

You don't expect HR to recruit starters for an experienced position. When there is a vacancy to fill, it can be advertised for QUALIFIED people to apply.
I hear u boss
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by scobaba: 10:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
Guinness Nigeria is one place to start, remain and end career in Nigeria.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Symphony007: 3:10am On Apr 19, 2013
The number one. I think is nigerian LNG, that company is phenominal. Nice pay, nice housing, nice perks, everything...shell shouid have never made an appearance on that list, it's glory days are history.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 6:39am On Apr 19, 2013
I wonder o.
Jarus:

Bros, na wa o. So because we say kpmg is good place to start career, you expect them to fill experienced positions like the advertised one with fresh graduate, or you don't expect them to have experienced openings
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TableLeg(m): 8:40am On Apr 19, 2013
byns:
dis guy na original olodo, comon engleesh u cannot spoken nors understandings shocked undecided
do u want it in pidgin version undecided
Can you see below, the acknowledgement from Jarus?
don ever quote me again until you grow some brain cells, learn some proper english and can use your head plus apply the english you must have learnt!
Dunce!

Jarus:
Thanks. I meant to use engineering as example of technical.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is There A Decent Way He Could End This Affair With His Married Boss? / Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry / Recession: Construction Firms Sack 65,000 Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.