Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria (26060 Views)

5 Places To Learn Free Programming Lessons Online / Ask Me Any Question About Career In Dubai / Best Places To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 9:12am On Apr 19, 2013
Pls you don't need this argument to derail this important thread.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by eminikansoso(m): 9:19am On Apr 19, 2013
that is why many nigerian youth always look for white cola job.
waka go china, korea, germany and many developed countries of the world and see where their youth start career.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by networkrecharg: 10:28am On Apr 19, 2013
How do I get a job. Even for forty k. Am in port harcourt, good in supervising hospitality industry.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by john365: 11:28am On Apr 19, 2013
please all these companies are financial in nature. the place to start your career should depend what you want to be.
if everybody works for these companies then how do we groom telecoms engineers, network engineers, petroleum engineers, automobile engineers, sales reps and agents and others.

All these companies mentioned are they better than Chevron, Total, MTN, Huawei, Ericson, Etisalat and the rest of them.

There are fields where you have to pay yours dues in terms of gaining experience before start enjoying yourself but you will end up with a reasonable or better career.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by uglyBetty1(f): 6:55pm On Apr 19, 2013
What of Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN), it's nt in ur list. Why na, don't they pay well.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 19, 2013
For non-technical grads, it may be true.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 19, 2013
Try Dataville Solutions - google it to know more
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2013
Please,tell us how career progression is in the aforementioned companies?Do they promote one at definite intervals?Do they give one the opportunity to work closely with top management of companies?Do they recruit every year and how many do they recruit each year?Did Ericsson stop their Graduate Trainee program?How many times have Huawei or MTN or Etisalat put up adverts for entry-level engineers and how often do they do their engineers do 'real' engineering work or do they just climb masts?I would like answers to these questions.Looking forward to your reply.Thank You.
john365: please all these companies are financial in nature. the place to start your career should depend what you want to be.
if everybody works for these companies then how do we groom telecoms engineers, network engineers, petroleum engineers, automobile engineers, sales reps and agents and others.

All these companies mentioned are they better than Chevron, Total, MTN, Huawei, Ericson, Etisalat and the rest of them.

There are fields where you have to pay yours dues in terms of gaining experience before start enjoying yourself but you will end up with a reasonable or better career.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by rhymz(m): 1:50am On Apr 20, 2013
i do not realy agree with the op's suggestions.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by gpjt(m): 7:37am On Apr 20, 2013
We need a paradigm shift in dis country.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by MacLovington(m): 9:52am On Apr 20, 2013
gpjt: We need a paradigm shift in dis country.

You will sooner shift Mount Kilimanjaro than paradigm in naija.

Nobody wants to innovate.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 20, 2013
Phonon: Please,tell us how career progression is in the aforementioned companies?Do they promote one at definite intervals?Do they give one the opportunity to work closely with top management of companies?Do they recruit every year and how many do they recruit each year?Did Ericsson stop their Graduate Trainee program?How many times have Huawei or MTN or Etisalat put up adverts for entry-level engineers and how often do they do their engineers do 'real' engineering work or do they just climb masts?I would like answers to these questions.Looking forward to your reply.Thank You.

Nice questions.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by DisGuy: 11:38am On Apr 20, 2013
Phonon: Please,tell us how career progression is in the aforementioned companies?Do they promote one at definite intervals?Do they give one the opportunity to work closely with top management of companies?Do they recruit every year and how many do they recruit each year?Did Ericsson stop their Graduate Trainee program?How many times have Huawei or MTN or Etisalat put up adverts for entry-level engineers and how often do they do their engineers do 'real' engineering work or do they just climb masts?I would like answers to these questions.Looking forward to your reply.Thank You.

me too

and where are the indigenous companies; they are not interested in grooming future talents ..?
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2013
There are so many top companies here that make it a de facto company policy not to recruit openly for entry level staff,and I mean graduates with ZERO experience.

-Aviat Networks
-Statoil
-Almost all the investment banks
-GE(forget their Early Career Development Program.You rarely hear anyone who got the job as a fresh graduate from a Nigerian university )
-MTN
-Etisalat
-Huawei
-Motorola
-Oracle
-Alcatel-Lucent
-Subsea 7 etc

These are companies that have operations in Nigeria but how many people have you heard got entry-level jobs there via an open process.Great companies but if you don't have the opportunity to compete for a place,then what good are they to job applicants?

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 1:24pm On Apr 20, 2013
Waiting for the guy's answers...
Jarus:

Nice questions.

1 Like

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by rhymz(m): 5:57am On Apr 21, 2013
The fact is there is hardly any blue chip companies that has opportunities for entry level, if you are lucky to have one, it will not be because you merited it but based almost entirely on inside connections and your smarts. An engineering graduate in manufacturing for instance, will have to gain experience with many of these Indian, Chinese or Lebanese companies, and even the technical skills you get there is limited to technician job and nothing serious as they have their expertrates taking care of the important aspects, not that they are extra-ordinary but they seem to prefer it that way. To gain competetive skills you just have to dole out huge cash enrolling in over-priced skills aquisition programmes and seminars but person wey no come get nko?
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by john365: 9:23pm On Apr 22, 2013

the truth is that most of this telecoms companies hardly take in graduates or people without experience, this is because as soon as they grab the experience they will start jumping from one telecoms company to the other. most times it cost the company alot.
as for climbing mask there are many field of expertise in telecoms, those that climb mask are called riggers they enjoy but i see as suffering. there is VAS, Planning, Optimization, IT, HR, Database admins etc. in my own opinion the real engineering work is done by the RF network planning and Optimization engineers-seniors are in the office always while juniors sometimes go to the field but jst to tell those that climb what to do when they are up there.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 22, 2013
I work for an independent E&P company and no single staff here is entry level. I moved from Oando. Many others moved from Shell, Mobil etc. And for finance guys, they were poached from PwC, KPMG and Deloitte, except a couple of us from the industry before.

No time to train trainees. I'm not aware of any single person that is entry level. Ok, maybe one or two.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by DisGuy: 9:29pm On Apr 22, 2013
john365:

the truth is that most of this telecoms companies hardly take in graduates or people without experience, this is because as soon as they grab the experience they will start jumping from one telecoms company to the other. most times it cost the company alot.
as for climbing mask there are many field of expertise in telecoms, those that climb mask are called riggers they enjoy but i see as suffering. there is VAS, Planning, Optimization, IT, HR, Database admins etc. in my own opinion the real engineering work is done by the RF network planning and Optimization engineers-seniors are in the office always while juniors sometimes go to the field but jst to tell those that climb what to do when they are up there.

moving from one company to the other is not unusual- BT engineers hop off to rivals with favourable working
the cost is an investment
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Phonon: 8:08am On Apr 23, 2013
Trust me,I know about whatever jobs engineers do in a telecommunications company.
john365:

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:56am On Apr 28, 2013
My cousin has actually worked for 3 companies listed above. Started with KPMG as a youth corper and was retained after service, moved to PWC and is currently with Shell (he's at the Hague at the moment). Has also worked for Zenith Bank, MTN and Totalfina-Elf.

Dude worked in all this places within 6 years from graduation. Has been with Shell since 2006.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Koffies(f): 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Jarus:

What do you mean by ordinary graduates?

Definitely not someone that has good CV - with 2.1 or First - in any course, irrespective of who you are. Meet their age limit and good enough to scale recruitment process. No big deal.

And in all humility, the CEO of Accenture is my personal mentor (right from university). He mentored me from my university years and still in touch till today.

I interviewed him here: http://jarushub.com/2013/03/31/i-failed-math-in-year-1-because-i-thought-what-worked-in-secondary-school-would-work-in-university-niyi-yusuf-ceo-accenture-nigeria/

Hello Jarus, I read your thread and agree that these firms are great places to start one's career. Please I really am interested in financial or risk advisory and would love to work with Accenture. I'd be the first to apply for a graduate trainee job there if there were vacancies. Do you by any chance know their recruitment process? Please I'd appreciate a response
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 15, 2014
Koffies:

Hello Jarus, I read your thread and agree that these firms are great places to start one's career. Please I really am interested in financial or risk advisory and would love to work with Accenture. I'd be the first to apply for a graduate trainee job there if there were vacancies. Do you by any chance know their recruitment process? Please I'd appreciate a response

Follow their website.

Email me on jarushub@gmail.com too
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by TheCode(m): 3:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
Hmmm... of a truth, common sense is not as common as the name implies. I dont know why many people failed to comprehend the message jarus was passing across. Besides phonon and some other smart people judging by their posts, the rest have just been saying what my dad would call 'bla-bla'.

The op mentioned 5 places that would be great for one to start ones career and gave his reasons. He also mentioned that his list is baised towards non-technical graduates (only shell would interest most graduate-level engineers on that list). HE NEVER SAID if you don't start with these, you are done. HE NEVER SAID these are the best or top 5. HE NEVER SAID they pay the highest - 'pay' wasn't even a criterion for his list. Phew.

For those saying there are no jobs, we have been hearing it like forever yet some people are still getting employed by merit every year into those big IOCs and MNCs that most people only dream of.

It is similar to some lamenting that admission into good Nigerian universities by merit is impossible, yet I and many others in my time made the first list and got admitted to read our respective courses of choice without knowing even the gateman.

It's all about competition, no one would offer you a job (or anything competitive for that matter) till you demonstrate you are better than the other person. So please, stop whining and make concerted efforts to develop yourself into a 'must-have' individual or (early) professional.

For those preaching entrepreneurship as if it is a gateway to freedom from hardwork, work-related stress, financial stress and long hours, please do not be deceived.

Every real and serious entrepreneur puts in much more. You dont just open a business today and start relaxing and raking in cash the next. A lot of people that think this way, and always having something cheeky to say to those who opt to commence their career by getting employed somewhere, are usually entrepreneurs in theory only and grossly misinformed. The rest are unserious.

Whether you are working for yourself or for someone, the truth is that you will have to work real hard in the beginning, but later you will get more relaxed.

Also, to be a successful entrepreneur, u need the experience and the capital. That is why some decide to get a salaried job first.

You can be working and running something else on the side (even something as simple as owning your own blog). That is also entrepreneurship. You wouldn't believe the amount of work that goes into maintaining ones personal blog.

If you are led to start something of your own from the start, great! Go ahead but don't think it will be a bed of roses, don't think your mates who opted to become employees first have inferior intellects or have made a wrong choice for Africa, and don't feel superhuman yet (not just yet). Be aware that some start and fail and that competition is in every endeavour, so make up your mind to fight and stand out.

Please let us read and comment with wisdom. If you don't understand the thread, ask for clarification or look for another thread instead of saying 'bla-bla'.

Nothing personal.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by jaklad(m): 5:39am On Jan 23, 2015
The time to take our lives and destinies into our hands is now.... delivery @ ur door step...very quality production ...the new 2015-2016 ICAN study texts... the phone nomba to contact is 07066391995....Grab ur copy now and start preparing ahed 4 may 2015 diet coz early preparation is d key to blasting professional exams especially ones like ICAN...... @ JaKLad Inc. We realize ur professional dreamz. Contact us today and u'll be very glad u did.
Re: 5 Places To Start Career In Nigeria by Ademat7(m): 3:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
In the midst of multiple counsel their is wisdom,just 3months n a week left to NYSC I left a petrol attendant job to join an sister who work(computer business) n study in UI(D.L.I) alas different advice 1.stay in dat job at least u earn something(I have zero skill o) 2. You dnt knw anyone in UI (but am like nobody learn by sitting at home)... I have a dream to be in tourism industry and investor in oil n gas,Agriculture,and building construction but it demand wisdom and knowledge at the expense of pay jobs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is There A Decent Way He Could End This Affair With His Married Boss? / Sacked For Sending Official Mail With Blackberry / Recession: Construction Firms Sack 65,000 Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.