Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,597 members, 7,801,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

Story: Taking Chances - Literature (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: Taking Chances (392064 Views)

10 Bestseller E-novels For The Taking / "Taking My Chances" Episode One / Taking Over(a Play) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 1:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
Did it inspire you to want to take chances in the future? My hand no dey oh grin

thanks for reading and commenting, good luck with your Daisy-searchwink
Re: Story: Taking Chances by kingphilip(m): 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
princesa: Did it inspire you to want to take chances in the future? My hand no dey oh grin

thanks for reading and commenting, good luck with your Daisy-searchwink
so lemme go for my Daisy search too?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
Err... No embarassed
Re: Story: Taking Chances by kingphilip(m): 4:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
princesa: Err... No embarassed
did i jst caused dis? Neva meant to i was only joking
ok i'm sorry and av modified it too
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 4:15pm On Nov 06, 2013
grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by kingphilip(m): 4:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
princesa: grin
tnx dearie
hope u make it to the nxt close up awards wit dis ur white teeth

so are u starting the nxt story nxt week?
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 4:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Next week ain't feasible dear, ASUU is not even helping matters sad
Re: Story: Taking Chances by kingphilip(m): 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2013
princesa: Next week ain't feasible dear, ASUU is not even helping matters sad
no worry dem de plan call am off by friday

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by Perfecter4real(m): 11:05pm On Nov 08, 2013
Thanks princess for this mind blowing story.....I was entertained & educated...hope to see more of your work....which of your stories would you suggest i read next? cheesy
Re: Story: Taking Chances by mimifavour(f): 4:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
Princess I So much luv dis story...... more wisdom n strength to u to carry o. U rock kiss kiss kiss grin
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 8:44pm On Nov 09, 2013
Thanks both of you for commenting.smiley

@perfect, ain't got no story yet, this was my debut piece.

@mimi, thanks and amen
Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 10:49am On Nov 15, 2013
IzyLuv: I don't understand why everyone is running to defend Daisy.

She acted pLain stupid, forcing herself on a man who clearly didn't give a kobo about her. Simply becuz she was told that he was living a wayward life...

What was she expecting That d man would become all peachy nd bubbly with her??... For God's sake, Jide had a LIFE that was snatched from him by a nosy grandma nd a selfish girl who only cared about gettin wat she wanted and probably felt she could change him.

Who does she think she is D Holy Spirit.
Even him, cannot change a man who wouldn't yield.

Daisy forgot one thing- A woman should always marry a man who loves her (weda she luvs him or not), not d oda way round...

And So far, daisy has not even exhibited any trait dat would knock Jide off his feet... I mean, who sits home all day doin nutin but food nd t.v? D only productive thing she does, is to cook...

I've got so much venting to do buh i'll save it since Daisy is fictional...no girl cld possibly be dat idiotic.

Princesa, keep up d good Work...

Daisy ooooo, Get a Life!!!

i know i am a late reader.

But if u dont mind, could you throw more light on d theory

that a woman must marry a man that loves her and not d other way around
Re: Story: Taking Chances by repogirl(f): 3:45pm On Nov 15, 2013
chinedumo:

i know i am a late reader.

But if u dont mind, could you throw more light on d theory

that a woman must marry a man that loves her and not d other way around

Mr. Chinedumo, the great debater, 'akshually' I can't help but say something here...... I also used to think this theory was right but seriously.....it was quite naive of me ..... fact is, a man can act like he loves a woman....men (sorry to say) deserve the Oscar award when trying to capture a lady's heart (and whatever else).....he might actually really love her but then I betcha when he's gotten the goods, he won't work so hard at love any more.... He might begin to misbahave and change into someone else.

Love is no guarantee, it diminishes depending on factors affecting the relationship, both parties have to continually work at the relationship, if you just let it go, the love of one person isn't enough to sustain it forever.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2013
repogirl:

Mr. Chinedumo, the great debater, 'akshually' I can't help but say something here...... I also used to think this theory was right but seriously.....it was quite naive of me ..... fact is, a man can act like he loves a woman....men (sorry to say) deserve the Oscar award when trying to capture a lady's heart (and whatever else).....he might actually really love her but then I betcha when he's gotten the goods, he won't work so hard at love any more.... He might begin to misbahave and change into someone else.

Love is no guarantee, it diminishes depending on factors affecting the relationship, both parties have to continually work at the relationship, if you just let it go, the love of one person isn't enough to sustain it forever.

wow.
Am really amazed.
Thanks. I have learnt a lot.
I am happy to know that there is no hard feeling
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 10:22am On Nov 16, 2013
Well repogirl has helped outsmiley

welcome back ma.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 12:44pm On Nov 16, 2013
I just finished reading.

Nice writer
great story.
prodigious concept.

Obviously your first princesa.
What a great way to start!

It doesnt add up that the wayward and womanizing jide had just grace as his ex.

Grace was not portrayed as a fling.
The relationship with Grace was portrayed as rich.

I wonder how a playboy would take the pains to maintan such a relationship.

I have failed to see how daisy is a better woman when compared with Grace.

I take this to mean that the title 'taking chances' was deduced from daisy's last attempt to save her marriage.

She put her husband's infedelity aside and took the bull by the horns. Hence taking her chances.

Taking the risk.

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by Culin(f): 12:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
I had so much in mind to say(type) bt immediately i started typing i lost evrytin.. Good work gal, keep it up nd u'll go places...atleast ve learned forgiveness, communication and companionship helps in a rltnshp
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 2:59pm On Nov 16, 2013
chinedumo:
It doesnt add up that the wayward and womanizing jide had just grace as his ex.

Grace was not portrayed as a fling.
The relationship with Grace was portrayed as rich.

I wonder how a playboy would take the pains to maintan such a relationship.

I have failed to see how daisy is a better woman when compared with Grace.

I take this to mean that the title 'taking chances' was deduced from daisy's last attempt to save her marriage.

She put her husband's infedelity aside and took the bull by the horns. Hence taking her chances.

Taking the risk.
okay you're right, maybe it doesn't add up. But i didn't utterly portray Jide as a playboy, did i? Guess am confused with his character. It was actually a week break he took for himself to soar his wild oats that landed him in the marriage trouble, you can therefore deduce that he was kind of cool headed before then?

Yeap, you're right, Grace isn't a fling, i never portrayed her as that, their relationship was great, so lets just say, it wasn't her destiny to marry Jide grin

people reach their snapping points i think, and one day, he woke up and realised that he wanted more out of life. Isn't that a good reason? smiley

And yeah, Daisy isn't a better woman than Grace, infact i am all for Grace in this, she's the one who's been spited, she should get all the pity not Daisy! Too bad my readers thought otherwise. Oh well, its freedom of choice.

The title, am just seeing it in this light, me was thinking the fact that she left Boston to come take a chance at Love with Jide, describes the title for me, but ur point is totally worthy, she also took a chance in her marriage.

Thank yousmiley
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2013
Culin:
I had so much in mind to say(type) bt immediately i started typing i lost evrytin.. Good work gal, keep it up nd u'll go places...atleast ve learned forgiveness, communication and companionship helps in a rltnshp

oh no Culin, i really wish it hadn't disappeared. I need these corrections to iron out the gray areas when i finally take a look at the work again. Pls type something down will you? smiley

Thanks for reading.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 3:41pm On Nov 16, 2013
If her highness won't be so pissed, The playboy i am refering to is life before marriage.

From chapter 7
Mama smiled shaking her head. It wasn't going to be hard afterall, she thought.
'Daisy, ni suru, mo ni pe ko Je kin soro tan' mama calmed the agitated girl. (Daisy be calm, i told you to allow me finish)
'quite alright, Jide is the reason for this discussion now, but nothing
bad as you think has happened to him. omo jati jati yen wa da da ni,
tori yen lon fin she yeye si nigeria' mama said raising her voice in the
last statement. (that silly boy is very fine, and that's the reason
he's misbehaving in Nigeria).
Daisy heaved a sigh of relief. Her man of dream was okay, then what was wrong she thought.
Mama continued. 'my son called me, and he was relaying to me how irresponsible Jide has become, especially with women, Jide ngbe awon Omo oloriburuku obirin to po si ile eko!(jide mingles with iresponsible
women that are all over Lagos) can you imagine that, at his age, he's
not settled down, omo mi Adekanbi was married and has given birth to him
and his brother at that age. Yet he feels sleeping around is best for
him...'mama was shaking with anger now.
'pls calm down mama, are you sure of this...' Daisy cut in, she was
hurting with all mama was revealing and still worried over her working
herself up because of her health.
But Mama was not deterred. There really was no stopping her when she
became like this.
'...ofcourse am sure! And to think his father and i are working hard to
see the company grow and see that our family name is untainted, yet he
disobeys him and even refuse to come to work, he keeps late night, going
from club to club, dancing around his life! ah! Ko ni da fun gbogbo
won, i swear!' (it will not be well with all of them) mama completed
heaving with anger and a tear stained eyes.

i am yet to see the bad activities that jide was involved in that daisy helped him cure.

A start could be his temper.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 3:56pm On Nov 16, 2013
chinedumo:
If her highness won't be so pissed, The playboy i am refering to is life before marriage.

From chapter 7

i am yet to see the bad activities that jide was involved in that daisy helped him cure.

A start could be his temper.

for one, Mama was only acting on the words relayed to her by her son, she could have blown the description out of proportion just to get Daisy to agree to the marriage. Remember she's over dramatic?

And Like I said, It was just a week of careless adventure that had nailed Jide so, it might not totally be his everyday behaviour. He had a girlfriend, flirted when was required, didn't hang out much, he wasn't really a playboy. Maybe in his university days, but definitely not now/then.

And his temper, i think that was cured, or atleast mellowed down with the way he started acting of late...

Anything else? smiley
Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2013
princesa:

for one, Mama was only acting on the words relayed to her by her son, she could have blown the description out of proportion just to get Daisy to agree to the marriage. Remember she's over dramatic?

And Like I said, It was just a week of careless adventure that had nailed Jide so, it might not totally be his everyday behaviour. He had a girlfriend, flirted when was required, didn't hang out much, he wasn't really a playboy. Maybe in his university days, but definitely not now/then.

And his temper, i think that was cured, or atleast mellowed down with the way he started acting of late...

Anything else? smiley

if mama is being overdramatic then what was the need of daisy in jide's life?

Daisy took care of mama. I was thinking the reward should be a good man and not a bad man(more responsibilities)

Did grace refuse to get married?

how does portraying her grandson as very bad attract daisy?

Is daisy attracted to bad guys?
So daisy married jide to change him?

Please if you are not comfortable with my questions message me and i will stop.

Thank you.

Have a blessed dominion sunday tomorrow
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 4:09pm On Nov 16, 2013
^maybe All her overdramatic tendencies was actually to convince Daisy more to go Marry Jide and maybe save him, remember she and Daisy are like mother and daughter and she had want no one else for her son, lets just say she was pre determined to get her favorite grandson settled with her favorite friend.

Grace wasn't in the family picture ever before the marriage, mama never knew her and Jide's father didn't even like her. Then, there was Jide who didn't pop the marriage question before Daisy was thrusted at him.

Grace was the bad loser in the whole game of love, so what more can I say, life itself is complicated. undecided
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 4:15pm On Nov 16, 2013
Daisy isn't attracted to bad guys, Jide was the love of her life, her teenage crush that became more.

She wanted to help save him like mama suggested, and maybe get him for herself before anyone else did.

Love make us do silly things.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by clemcykul(f): 9:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
u did well for starters i must say. Though try n mke the dialogues briefThe story line is quite interesting. You are good at narration but improve on ur description of the characters personality to give the reader a perception. Give intricate details on environments. My opinion " i really dont feel jide loved daisy". This is a romance story, it ought to be romace parked giving the readers, a thousand butterflies in their belly. Enough said, i enjoyed every chapter. Just a little touch up and ure good enough for consumption. I love explicit bla bla bla wink
Re: Story: Taking Chances by princesa(f): 9:36pm On Nov 19, 2013
clemcykul:
u did well for starters i must say. Though try n mke the dialogues briefThe story line is quite interesting. You are good at narration but improve on ur description of the characters personality to give the reader a perception. Give intricate details on environments. My opinion " i really dont feel jide loved daisy". This is a romance story, it ought to be romace parked giving the readers, a thousand butterflies in their belly. Enough said, i enjoyed every chapter. Just a little touch up and ure good enough for consumption. I love explicit bla bla bla wink
@explicit bla bla bla grin

thanks for reading, your corrections are noted. Will make use of them smiley

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by frenddy6(m): 9:28am On Nov 23, 2013
princesa: 'I told you! They look so like Jay and Bee' Amaka's friend whispered excitedly. She had seen the light tone of Daisy's skin and the dark hue of Jide's, then offcourse with the almost levelled height, the slim dark girl needed no other signs to confirm her insinuation.

'na made in heaven things indeed!' Amaka whispered, then eyed her friend.

The two ladies giggled briefly at their secret gossip and star- comparism before they diverted their attention to the waiting passengers.

Out in the runway, as Jide, Daisy and other passengers trudged towards the airplane in a file, Daisy's thoughts slowly drifted to another time, another situation and another companion.

It was the day she arrived Nigeria for the wedding.

Slowly, all the forgotten and suppressed memories started springing up, so much so was the intensity of the deja vu feeling that Daisy had to shake herself just so she could ascertain that she wasn't anywhere close to that time of her life.

The smile that had crowned her face all morning suddenly fizzled out and in its place was a mixture of fear, doubt and anger. Daisy tried to push the thoughts and feeling away, but couldn't. For the sudden thoughts seemed determined to keep up a mind game with her.

As she quietly battled with this new emotion that threatened to engulf her, she felt Jide gently squeeze her hands. Then Slowly, she raised sad, doubtful face at him, while his was smiling peacefully, oblivious to the inner struggles of the woman beside him.

Daisy noticed now that they were closer in the queue and it would soon be their turn to board the plane.

'i guess...happily ever after awaits us, sunshine' Jide said smiling down at her.

Then slowly, Daisy's previously lost smile creeped up, back on her face.

The magical spell wasn't more about what Jide had said, but totally about the way he had said it. It had been so open, so loving, so giving, so sincere. All of which, didn't seem to be hidden under a mask of pretence.

Daisy's smile spread wider all through her body now. The significance of the word he had said to her made her so. It was actually the longest he had spoken to her since today, and she never knew him to believe in 'happily ever afters'. All of this lifted her fear and doubts about the future that had seemed uncertain. And so finally, she won the mind game.

The new Daisy, the one that had arrived Nigeria months ago to chase an uncertain dream, had stopped believing in happily ever after's. But if it ever still existed, she mused, then it was guaranteed with this man whose eyes had entranced and held her forever.

And so gently she squeezed his hands too. 'and i can't wait to live it with you' she replied softly.

Jide said nothing, there wasn't much left to be said. Instead he drew his wife closer, placed a kiss on her forehead, then helped her mount the steps to the plane. Unconcerned with how the other passenger would interpret his gesture.

And so, this became the beginning of a marriage adventure for them, they would live through their lives, taking chances to achieve the happiness that existed between the ups and downs that life would surely throw at them. But the best of it all, was that they had grown wiser, learning from the school of life, friendship, love and family. And their love which had been tested and proven to be resilient under the heat of fire, could surely stand the rain and weather the storms of marriage till death would do them part.

***the end*** smiley

#throws away pen and paper, then dances finally into the sunset.# I love sunsets! cheesy
I love u princesa. I wish u'll b my daisey and i ur jide. I luv ur write ups keep it up
Re: Story: Taking Chances by frenddy6(m): 9:28am On Nov 23, 2013
princesa: 'I told you! They look so like Jay and Bee' Amaka's friend whispered excitedly. She had seen the light tone of Daisy's skin and the dark hue of Jide's, then offcourse with the almost levelled height, the slim dark girl needed no other signs to confirm her insinuation.

'na made in heaven things indeed!' Amaka whispered, then eyed her friend.

The two ladies giggled briefly at their secret gossip and star- comparism before they diverted their attention to the waiting passengers.

Out in the runway, as Jide, Daisy and other passengers trudged towards the airplane in a file, Daisy's thoughts slowly drifted to another time, another situation and another companion.

It was the day she arrived Nigeria for the wedding.

Slowly, all the forgotten and suppressed memories started springing up, so much so was the intensity of the deja vu feeling that Daisy had to shake herself just so she could ascertain that she wasn't anywhere close to that time of her life.

The smile that had crowned her face all morning suddenly fizzled out and in its place was a mixture of fear, doubt and anger. Daisy tried to push the thoughts and feeling away, but couldn't. For the sudden thoughts seemed determined to keep up a mind game with her.

As she quietly battled with this new emotion that threatened to engulf her, she felt Jide gently squeeze her hands. Then Slowly, she raised sad, doubtful face at him, while his was smiling peacefully, oblivious to the inner struggles of the woman beside him.

Daisy noticed now that they were closer in the queue and it would soon be their turn to board the plane.

'i guess...happily ever after awaits us, sunshine' Jide said smiling down at her.

Then slowly, Daisy's previously lost smile creeped up, back on her face.

The magical spell wasn't more about what Jide had said, but totally about the way he had said it. It had been so open, so loving, so giving, so sincere. All of which, didn't seem to be hidden under a mask of pretence.

Daisy's smile spread wider all through her body now. The significance of the word he had said to her made her so. It was actually the longest he had spoken to her since today, and she never knew him to believe in 'happily ever afters'. All of this lifted her fear and doubts about the future that had seemed uncertain. And so finally, she won the mind game.

The new Daisy, the one that had arrived Nigeria months ago to chase an uncertain dream, had stopped believing in happily ever after's. But if it ever still existed, she mused, then it was guaranteed with this man whose eyes had entranced and held her forever.

And so gently she squeezed his hands too. 'and i can't wait to live it with you' she replied softly.

Jide said nothing, there wasn't much left to be said. Instead he drew his wife closer, placed a kiss on her forehead, then helped her mount the steps to the plane. Unconcerned with how the other passenger would interpret his gesture.

And so, this became the beginning of a marriage adventure for them, they would live through their lives, taking chances to achieve the happiness that existed between the ups and downs that life would surely throw at them. But the best of it all, was that they had grown wiser, learning from the school of life, friendship, love and family. And their love which had been tested and proven to be resilient under the heat of fire, could surely stand the rain and weather the storms of marriage till death would do them part.

***the end*** smiley

#throws away pen and paper, then dances finally into the sunset.# I love sunsets! cheesy
I love u princesa. I wish u'll b my daisey and i ur jide. I luv ur write ups keep it up

1 Like

Re: Story: Taking Chances by merit12(f): 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2013
Please also Read my romantic love story,I promise not to disappoint you cos it supense ,romance story

This actually my first post on nairaland I need your comments,critize nd help

https://www.nairaland.com/1527536/love-
chemistry-101
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Chuksemi(m): 11:46pm On Nov 24, 2013
Really princess, I am in love with your writing ability. But, I think Daisy let Jide off the hook easily, I mean after she caught him with grace. If this was a real life scenario, such an easy forgiveness after a betrayal of that magnitude will paint a picture of an obsessed wife, to whom he can cheat on and get away easily. Atleast silent treatment for that day would have been a bit acceptable. Let Jide feel remorse, I mean alot of it. But all the same, it is a story. I like.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by chinedumo(m): 6:10am On Nov 25, 2013
^they had no relationship yet for jide to betray.

They had a marriage that jide had yet to consumate.
Re: Story: Taking Chances by Chuksemi(m): 4:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
chinedumo: ^they had no relationship yet for jide to betray.

They had a marriage that jide had yet to consumate.
Not an excuse, jide was trying to build the marriage and the next thing he is suckling a woman in his sitting room? What if grace comes to tempt him again, he will fall, surely. I still insist that daisy forgave him too easily, to easily, I say.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (Reply)

Captor Of My Heart: The Tamers. / Meant To Be / When Love Speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.