Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,832 members, 7,806,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location (978 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? / Where's Your Car From? Automobile, And Their Origins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 18, 2013
Good day Nairalanders,

I believe its time i share this burden. I wanted to share it sometime last week but things cropped up and i relaxed. I feel its more than necesary to do so now.

What led to this is because (Dr Joe)fell for a victim cos he bought a very faulty car (Peugeot 307). By the way, I want to share this real life experience I had.

One Nairalander who does not reside here in Abuja saw a car i put up for sale here on Nairaland and called me. I arranged for inspection and took the car to someone he trusted here in Abuja. To the best of my knowledge, the car is very sound. No vibrations in d engine, moves very well etc.

The guy saw the car, said it was ok. We took the car to a mechanic friend of his and the mechanic certified that the car is very ok.

...Now the issue...

The wahala now started when the mechanic said we must give him some money if not he will tell the owner that the car is in a bad condition and that will discourage him from buying. After much argument, we agreed to give the mechanic N20,000. I thought it was all over, that the deal was sealed. Then the man's trusted friend started behaving funny. He said we must give both of them (him and the mechanic) N50,000. We refused totally (I and my friends). He said he will tell the man not to buy the car because the man is his IN-LAW. After much talking, we told them that we will give both of them only N30,000. Since it was business.

Now, my major concern was this: what if the car had issues. I mean real issues. Thats how this car would have been sold.

Please my advice to everyone buying a car from a far place is this: Travel and check the car yourself. If its not possible, send someone that you trust his judgment whether he collects his commission or not. But I tell you, most people you send will ask for their commission.

Pls dont mind my grammar.

Regards.

3 Likes

Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by Emperoh(m): 2:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
Very useful and insightful.

Often times, our desire to make money clouds the need for sincerity and honesty.
As a dealer, priority will continue to be that i sell cars without issues thereafter and to the glory of God, this has been the case.

I think the idea will be to set up a list of Nairaland certified vehicle inspector in most cities where people buy and sell cars. So that if a buyer likes a car, he can contact of the certified inspector, pays a little token, say N5k if the deal doesn't fly and N15k if the deal flies to the inspector.

The risk with this is that assuming the inspector certifies all ok and payment is made and issues are discovered later, he loses his position. For Abuja based resident, I can nominate Ikenna, Chiebube and my humble self. For Lagos, any credible dealer or auto savvy person can indicate interest to handle. I can also appoint my partner who is also an inspector in Lagos to stand in.
Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by omicron(m): 9:18pm On Apr 18, 2013
chiebube: Good day Nairalanders,

I believe its time i share this burden. I wanted to share it sometime last week but things cropped up and i relaxed. I feel its more that necesary to do so now.

What led to this is because (Dr Joe)fell for a victim cos he bought a very faulty car (Peugeot 307). By the way, I want to share this real life experience I had.

One Nairalander who does not reside here in Abuja saw a car i put up for sale here on Nairaland and called me. I arranged for inspection and took the car to someone he trusted here in Abuja. To the best of my knowledge, the car is very sound. No vibrations in d engine, moves very well etc.

The guy saw the car, said it was ok. We took the car to a mechanic friend of his and the mechanic certified that the car is very ok.

...Now the issue...

The wahala now started when the mechanic said we must give him some money if not he will tell the owner that the car is in a bad condition and that will discourage him from buying. After much argument, we agreed to give the mechanic N20,000. I thought it was all over, that the deal was sealed. Then the man's trusted friend started behaving funny. He said we must give both of them (him and the mechanic) N50,000. We refused totally (I and my friends). He said he will tell the man not to buy the car because the man is his IN-LAW. After much talking, we told them that we will give both of them only N30,000. Since it was business.

Now, my major concern was this: what if the car had issues. I mean real issues. Thats how this car would have been sold.

Please my advice to everyone buying a car from a far place is this: Travel and check the car yourself. If its not possible, send someone that you trust his judgment whether he collects his commission or not. But I tell you, most people you send will ask for their commission.

Pls dont mind my grammar.

Regards.
thanks
Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by wwwkaycom(m): 9:25am On Apr 19, 2013
I had this same experience three weeks ago. I advertised a car in Akure, a buyer in Eket, was interested, since he wouldnt want to waste his money in case the car has issues, he asked a trusted friend of his to inspect the car for him. This his so-called friend came, checked the car and asked for N30000, I told him to get lost. I could do this because I am not a car dealer, I am an FG employee, I was only trying to sell a spare car to raise some money. But this is what fellow nairalanders who are auto dealers go through everyday, what can we do about it?
Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by Emperoh(m): 11:37am On Apr 19, 2013
And i ask the question again; will people (buyer and seller) willingly pay a token fee to an independent inspector to check out vehicles for potential buyers? If yes, what happens if the car is said to have issues? Will they keep paying for such services assuming the cars they inspect do not meet up?

How will you punish an inspector who compromises his integrity?
Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by Ikenna351(m): 9:54pm On Apr 19, 2013
Emperoh: Very useful and insightful.

Often times, our desire to make money clouds the need for sincerity and honesty.
As a dealer, priority will continue to be that i sell cars without issues thereafter and to the glory of God, this has been the case.

I think the idea will be to set up a list of Nairaland certified vehicle inspector in most cities where people buy and sell cars. So that if a buyer likes a car, he can contact of the certified inspector, pays a little token, say N5k if the deal doesn't fly and N15k if the deal flies to the inspector.

The risk with this is that assuming the inspector certifies all ok and payment is made and issues are discovered later, he loses his position. For Abuja based resident, I can nominate Ikenna, Chiebube and my humble self. For Lagos, any credible dealer or auto savvy person can indicate interest to handle. I can also appoint my partner who is also an inspector in Lagos to stand in.

Am not sure am comfortable with this your suggestion o! I have done it for people for free. But am begining to be discouraged, especially for Nigeria used cars. I once helped someone bought a Peugeot 406 D9 Nigeria used. Weeks later after the purchase, i crawed under the car to replace oxygen sensor for the fellow, only to realise that some wires were disconnected, folded and hidden directly under the engine/gearbox. At a point, the electrical abuse started to affect the BSI unit, such that it one time lock the engine ECU and stopped it from sending ground pulse to the injectors until it was unlock with PP2000. Since then, i stopped inspecting Nigerian used cars for people. Because no matter how good one is, some abuse or issues may be hidden , considering how Nigerian clowns love abusing EFI systems.

Ikenna.
Re: Read This Please...Buying A Car From Places Far From Your Location by Emperoh(m): 10:30pm On Apr 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Am not sure am comfortable with this your suggestion o! I have done it for people for free. But am begining to be discouraged, especially for Nigeria used cars. I once helped someone bought a Peugeot 406 D9 Nigeria used. Weeks later after the purchase, i crawed under the car to replace oxygen sensor for the fellow, only to realise that some wires were disconnected, folded and hidden directly under the engine/gearbox. At a point, the electrical abuse started to affect the BSI unit, such that it one time lock the engine ECU and stopped it from sending ground pulse to the injectors until it was unlock with PP2000. Since then, i stopped inspecting Nigerian used cars for people. Because no matter how good one is, some abuse or issues may be hidden , considering how Nigerian clowns love abusing EFI systems.

Ikenna.

But what do we do?
A sort of disclaimer?

(1) (Reply)

2014 Toyota Corolla Revealed / How Much For EOD Radio? / An Accident Dat Happened Just Outside My House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.