Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,927 members, 7,806,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? (14071 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / The Scary Thing A Couple Received As Wedding Gift (photo) / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by 2legit2qwt: 1:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
Do you keep a joint account only or do you have a separate accounts or a combination of both? Do you split the bills if y Money can't be ignored in a relationship and it's even more challenging when you both work and make a lot of money.
Do you split the bills in that situation? Who spends money on what?
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Pampers: 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
What works for a couple might not work for another. It all depends on the parties involved...

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Pampers: 1:16pm On Apr 18, 2013
What works for a couple might not work for another. It all depends on the parties involvd and what foundation they have built.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by TableLeg(m): 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2013
Pampers: What works for a couple might not work for another. It all depends on the parties involved...

Absolutely ... There is no set standard or criteria!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by 2legit2qwt: 2:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
Pampers: What works for a couple might not work for another. It all depends on the parties involvd and what foundation they have built.
I understand that but ideally, are there expectations as to who does what? We all know the power of money and i'm all up for couples stating their intentions for clarity, commingling finance is big deal.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by akinreals: 2:13pm On Apr 18, 2013
Pampers: What works for a couple might not work for another. It all depends on the parties involvd and what foundation they have built.
Dats true. When we got married newly and my wife's salary was higher dan mine, she was d one in charge of food and i pay rent and all d utility bills, even at dat i always borrow from her, but now, my pay is like 4times her pay, and we have moved to our own house, i told her to keep her pay but she will not listen, we have separate accounts but i can access her account and she can access mine anytime.

29 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Pampers: 3:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
2legit2qwt:
I understand that but ideally, are there expectations as to who does what? We all know the power of money and i'm all up for couples stating their intentions for clarity, commingling finance is big deal.
. Expectations as far as I am concerned still boils down to mutual cooperation and understanding if they are both sincere to one another, whoevers purse is larger ofcourse bears more responsibility. That's y its just best to marry ur friend.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by nairaman66(m): 4:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
The lady should be stingy with her punnano, in other to avoid too much babies!! undecided
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by onitshaigbo(m): 4:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
I don't. I keep and manage what I make. I give her weekly allowance, but she cannot control or even know about my own money.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by badmarket: 4:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
Pay as u go method.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by jummy05: 5:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
it is the husband's responsibility to make provisions for the whole house even if the wife is earning income.....chikena
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Kzinne: 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
is it ur business? people come here to ask all sorts of questions- how to go to the toilet, how to eat, how to toast a girl, how to get a husband- and yet the jobless mods wud put it on frontpage

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Geomac: 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
She is the manager.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by neksummi(m): 5:05pm On Apr 18, 2013
An observer here.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by kokoye(m): 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
May God continue to provide o...because that lady likes to shop!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Sweetapple007(f): 5:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
Did u marry her because of her money? A man is the head of a family, family responsibilities re f men, woman helps if she feels like. Or do u expect a woman after passing hell in child birth, nursg, ad house chores to give u all her money, do ur part ad forget womans money.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by FXKing2012(m): 5:21pm On Apr 18, 2013
Kzinne: is it ur business? people come here to ask all sorts of questions- how to go to the toilet, how to eat, how to toast a girl, how to get a husband- and yet the jobless mods wud put it on frontpage
See vexing ooo
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by RiKKies: 5:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
jummy05: it is the husband's responsibility to make provisions for the whole house even if the wife is earning income.....chikena

So she should not contribute?
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by dayokanu(m): 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
kokoye: May God continue to provide o...because that lady likes to shop!

Bros i see you ooo

No be only you sha. I prefer joint account where both contribute to household expenses

and an individual acct where you can spend the money you earn anyhow you want after taking care of joint expenses
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
He makes the money,I manage it,Its his preference.My federal govt allowee,I spend on anything I deem fit.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
Well I believe you just want people to share ideas.

As for me o... We would soon create an account which might be joint or not for the purpose of savings. If I earn more, then I contribute more.

At the moment we do everything together. For example, if we want to buy a new set of chairs and it cost 150,000 I will drop 100 and she will drop 50. That's how it is.

At the same time I or her might just decide to buy without another partners contribution but she hardly does that except by certification from me.

You can try figure out what I'm trying to say.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Ayoobscom(m): 5:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
She wouldn't have to work and if she insists her money belongs to her
I'm the man and I love being in charge.,all bills are mine to pay including money for tissue papers
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Fishout(m): 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
man is responsible for all,bt if she feels to assist,why am l stop her.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by jhydebaba(m): 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
Wives should be submissive to their husband, hence, she declares all her earnings and forward same at the end of the month while I take care of the expenditure, determining which comes first on the scale of preference.

Men are born to lead tongue

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Fishout(m): 6:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
man is responsible for all,bt if she feels to assist,why am l stop her.on account ,we run diff accounts bt i know her balance
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by xynerise: 6:03pm On Apr 18, 2013
I have an account before I met her and she does too. I dont think its necessary to operate a joint account. She has her own business account and I have mine too. Even our baby has his own account which is like a fixed deposit until he is eligible to operete a bank account.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by omiobo: 6:11pm On Apr 18, 2013
Kzinne: is it ur business? people come here to ask all sorts of questions- how to go to the toilet, how to eat, how to toast a girl, how to get a husband- and yet the jobless mods wud put it on frontpage

Mr man get off this thread. It is a genuine question.

9 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by Temismith(f): 6:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
A good Budget does it.
Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by vizion: 6:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
Sweetapple007: Did u marry her because of her money? A man is the head of a family, family responsibilities re f men, woman helps if she feels like. Or do u expect a woman after passing hell in child birth, nursg, ad house chores to give u all her money, do ur part ad forget womans money.

and what of women that are not fortunate to give birth, what should happen in their case? what should a woman use her money for??

in my opinion, husband and wife should come to an agreement on how to spend money earned, irrespective of who ends more.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by salt1: 6:41pm On Apr 18, 2013
jhydebaba: Wives should be submissive to their husband, hence, she declares all her earnings and forward same at the end of the month while I take care of the expenditure, determining which comes first on the scale of preference.

Men are born to lead tongue
Argument starter! Looks like you're not married. No husband becomes a millionaire by taking his wife's salary. Most men who move far assume the role of provider and leave the woman to support at her discretion. If the woman buys clothes for herself and her children, she's contributing.

In my home, we run personal accounts but each is a signatory to the other's account. It is good for us that way because if there is an emergency or death, the other can access the funds without any legal tussle with the banks.
People who act secretively over money sometimes put their spouses and children in trouble in the event of sudden sickness or death

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by feminineA: 6:42pm On Apr 18, 2013
We don't have joint account in our names but we operate a joint account. I have 3 account 2 in my maiden name and he has 3 also all income is brought together and bills paid, some go for investment, tithe, the rest is shared between the two of us as our pocket money.
I run the account in my account in the home. My hubby isn't too intrested. All he wants is that each needs get its quota.
However what works for me might not work for you!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Your Finances As A Couple? by newacca: 6:57pm On Apr 18, 2013
She get her purse,I get my Gucci wallet. Na diff pocket

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Men Whose Wives Have Big Booobs! / What Will You Do If Your Partner Is A Chronic Liar? / Have You Seen Kemisola Uthman Ogunyemi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.