Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,954 members, 7,799,239 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship (2375 Views)

American News Media Huffington Post-biafra Nationhood: Unfinished Decolonization / My Support For PMB: Beyond Partisanship And Politics! / PHOTO: 1940 Mugshot Of 'criminal Lesbian' In USA, When Homosexuality Was A Crime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 2:09pm On Apr 19, 2013
Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney praised President Barack Obama's remarks on Thursday at an interfaith service remembering victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Asked if he would consider working on a security commission to study the terror attack and design steps to avert future attacks, Romney said he wouldn't turn away from a call to prevent violence.

He also referenced his time serving on the Homeland Security Advisory Council, a panel comprised of a range of leaders from both the private and public sector who advise the secretary of homeland security, under the George W. Bush administration.

"In my heart of hearts, what I understand is, it is intelligence work. And by intelligence, it's not just meaning the CIA and the FBI and wire taps. It is also people who are watching what's going on, reporting what's going on, combing that information such that we can prevent the worse things that are occurring," he said. ....

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/18/romney-obama-gave-a-superb-speech/

Meanwhile, back home in Nigeria, some have refused to participate because the president did not come to their house to beg them. These are the same people that have been shouting amnesty. SMH!

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2013
That's America for you. A country where all the political parties and interest groups even though they may have different ideologies but these ideologies are geared towards a common goal which is to make America better. Had it been in NIgeria that a president made a speech or pronouncement, the opposition will rush to condemn it whether they support what he's saying on not. It seems the only way for people to know an opposition party in Nigeria is only when they oppose everything that's said by the party in power no matter how laudable it is. If PDP says they're giving free education to Nigerian youths, ACN will see free education is not the best but instead it should be paid Qulaitative education even though a lot of people in that party benefitted from the free educational policies of Awolowo. All of a suddent, thye same free education will become the worse thing after satan...If ACN governments are embarking on regional integration, PDP will say they're causing division in the country despite the fact that the same America is divided into regions that may not be constitutionally explicit but the states in the regions work together to achieve a common goal. we have to learn to put our countries interest first before any premordial, sectional or party sentiments.

4 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 2:41pm On Apr 19, 2013
@OP

Wow!! In your wildest imagination, you deduced Nigeria is a nation. Nigeria is a country not a nation and it is attempt in awful futility to have Nigeria and USA in this same discussion where issues of unity and patriotism are at stake.

3 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 4:02pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1: @OP

Wow!! In your wildest imagination, you deduced Nigeria is a nation. Nigeria is a country not a nation and it is attempt in awful futility to have Nigeria and USA in this same discussion where issues of unity and patriotism are at stake.

Well, as much as I understand what you are trying to say, the reality right now is that we are stuck with each other. Until something finally separates us, we might as well pretend we are a nation
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 4:03pm On Apr 19, 2013
Afam4eva: That's America for you. A country where all the political parties and interest groups even though they may have different ideologies but these ideologies are geared towards a common goal which is to make America better. Had it been in NIgeria that a president made a speech or pronouncement, the opposition will rush to condemn it whether they support what he's saying on not. It seems the only way for people to know an opposition party in Nigeria is only when they oppose everything that's said by the party in power no matter how laudable it is. If PDP says they're giving free education to Nigerian youths, ACN will see free education is not the best but instead it should be paid Qulaitative education even though a lot of people in that party benefitted from the free educational policies of Awolowo. All of a suddent, thye same free education will become the worse thing after satan...If ACN governments are embarking on regional integration, PDP will say they're causing division in the country despite the fact that the same America is divided into regions that may not be constitutionally explicit but the states in the regions work together to achieve a common goal. we have to learn to put our countries interest first before any premordial, sectional or party sentiments.

+100
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1: @OP

What point are you trying to make?

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 4:19pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Well, as much as I understand what you are trying to say, the reality right now is that we are stuck with each other. Until something finally separates us, we might as well pretend we are a nation

Good you realized Nigeria is inhabited by people who have no business staying under one roof. Nigeria is a dysfunctional entity and should not be mentioned in a sentence with USA.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 4:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

What point are you trying to make?

TCgirl,

My point simply stated that Nigeria is not a nation or pseudo-nation.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 4:31pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

Good you realized Nigeria is inhabited by people who have no business staying under one roof. Nigeria is a dysfunctional entity and should not be mentioned in a sentence with USA.

Nigeria is a nation recognized by the United nations. It can and will always be mentioned in the same sentence with the USA. Leave out the rhetoric and discuss reality. I certainly dont wanna be in the same country with you, but the reality is that I am stuck with you. So I must make the best of this forced marriage.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 4:39pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Nigeria is a nation recognized by the United nations. It can and will always be mentioned in the same sentence with the USA. Leave out the rhetoric and discuss reality. I certainly dont wanna be in the same country with you, but the reality is that I am stuck with you. So I must make the best of this forced marriage.

Please, do not get twisted out of human on a simple academic exercise. It is funny you have already exhibiting ignorant and offensive demeanor peculiar to Nigerians. Academically, there is a difference between a country and nation. Believe me, I would not want to have you as a compatriot.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Eziachi: 4:51pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:
Meanwhile, back home in Nigeria, some have refused to participate because the president did not come to their house to beg them. These are the same people that have been shouting amnesty. SMH!

Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.

The FBI, state and local police went to work straight with the aid of the public. While in your own case, they changes on who the sponsor of the terror is on a daily basis, mainly their political opponents, while the masses are being murdered. The masses cannot aid the security agencies because they are their enemy number one.

Obama allowed the security agencies to do their job, while they brief him daily. In your own case, even when the dust of the Abuja bombing is yet settled, Jonathan announced that MEND wasn't responsible it. In that case, where do you expect the security agencies to go from there, after such a pronouncement?

In the United State, the security of the masses is number one priority, in your own case their security is at the bottom of the list.

You don't compare a mango to a cassava, as we always rip what we invest. And by the way, Nigeria is not a nation, simply an enterprise.

13 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

Please, do not get twisted out of human on a simple academic exercise. It is funny you have already exhibiting ignorant and offensive demeanor peculiar to Nigerians. Academically, there is a difference between a country and nation. Believe me, I would not want have you as compatriot.

Dud, get the gist. You cannot just go on and on trying to spread negativity. You must also be seen to proffer solutions. Great men are not men who point out the problems but those who creat and implement solutions, sometimes, to their own undoing. Some of you just specialized in throwing tantrums online as if it solves anything. It solves absolutely nothing. It is just what it is. Rants! Leave out the rethoric and put forward solutions so we can go from point a to point b. If it is war you believe will solve it, then by all means start one. At least do something instead of just ranting!

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi:

Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, [size=18pt]it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.[/size]

The FBI, state and local police went to work straight with the aid of the public. While in your own case, they changes on who the sponsor of the terror is on a daily basis, mainly their political opponents, while the masses are being murdered. The masses cannot aid the security agencies because they are their enemy number one.

Obama allowed the security agencies to do their job, while they brief him daily. In your own case, even when the dust of the Abuja bombing is yet settled, Jonathan announced that MEND wasn't responsible it. In that case, where do you expect the security agencies to go from there, after such a pronouncement?

In the United State, the security of the masses is number one priority, in your own case their security is at the bottom of the list.

You don't compare a mango to a cassava, as we always rip what we invest. And by the way, Nigeria is not a nation, simply an enterprise.

Dman

+100
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

I think the term "country" is used more than "nation" because not every country is a nation. Nigeria is definitely not one. There are nations in Nigeria and nations inside nations in Nigeria but Nigeria has not gotten it's act together to be called a nation. That Nationalistic feeling is not just there yet. We're just a country barely existing.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 19, 2013
As for the boko haram sponsors, is it likely that they're being blackmailed/threatened to sponsor?
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Dman

+100

What has that got to do with you serving your country? are you serving your country because of what GEJ does or say? It shows you are just not intelligent and have only proving the topic right. So you will join to save lives only if GEJ does things perfectly? Just hear yourself. You just confirmed the topic that these people are playing politics with peoples lives
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Who would be appointed to a sensitive security committee in the US without his/her consent? Whether you folks accept it or not, this administration is clueless. It's an insult to just appoint without consultation. How are you even sure they are not preoccupied with other stuffs to start with? And when sensible folks rejected such a silly appointment, the blame was passed on not to government?

The example you provided is a disgrace to comparison. Romney was asked if he would welcome such an assignment, he was clearly not told (ordered) to be in such hypothetical committee. Jonathan administration continues to shoot itself in the leg with avoidable mistakes here and there. What I expected his administration to have done is simple: address a press conference that the President had talked to Buhari, Datti Ahmed on several occasions asking for their support to quench the insurgency but have all flatly refused to lend support. Let him put the blame on them, let him put sway the public opinion against them but not clearly acting foolish and then expect Nigerians to say eeyah, can't Datti Ahmed figure out he should have jumped at that opportunity?
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 5:02pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Dud, get the gist. You cannot just go on and on trying to spread negativity. You must also be seen to proffer solutions. Great men are not men who point out the problems but those who creat and implement solutions, sometimes, to their own undoing. Some of you just specialized in throwing tantrums online as if it solves anything. It solves absolutely nothing. It is just what it is. Rants! Leave out the rethoric and put forward solutions so we can go from point a to point b. If it is war you believe will solve it, then by all means start one. At least do something instead of just ranting!

I do not know how long you have being on this forum. However if you have navigated this site for more than one month, you should not have raised a poser about my solution. My solution to the cesspit called Nigeria is disintegration. There are no bases for any sort of repair because the country called Nigeria is an accident of British imperial suzerainty.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think the term "country" is used more than "nation" because not every country is a nation. Nigeria is definitely not one. There are nations in Nigeria and nations inside nations in Nigeria but Nigeria has not gotten it's act together to be called a nation. That Nationalistic feeling is not just there yet. We're just a country barely existing.

Look Afam, I understand you perfectly. But we can sit here all day and debate the grammar or get off our azz and go do something about it. One thing I have come to see about Nigerians is that we are very cowardly and lazy and will rather engage in the blame game than act to solve our problems. That is the whole point of this thread. What do we as individuals contribute to the process. I laugh with the way we talk about government in Nigeria. Obama said clearly yesterday that the most important factor to solving the the case was the peoples input and called on everyone to participate. Here, we just say it is government responsibility as if government is aso rock. I have been to several countries and I cantell you that it is only in Nigeria and a very few other nations people talk like that
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

What has that got to do with you serving your country? [size=18pt]are you serving your country because of what GEJ does or say?[/size] It shows you are just not intelligent and have only proving the topic right. So you will join to save lives only if GEJ does things perfectly? Just hear yourself. You just confirmed the topic that these people are playing politics with peoples lives

Are you for real? lol
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Who would be appointed to a sensitive security committee in the US without his/her consent? Whether you folks accept it or not, this administration is clueless. It's an insult to just appoint without consultation. How are you even sure they are not preoccupied with other stuffs to start with? And when sensible folks rejected such a silly appointment, the blame was passed on not to government?

The example you provided is a disgrace to comparison. Romney was asked if he would welcome such an assignment, he was clearly not told (ordered) to be in such hypothetical committee. Jonathan administration continues to shoot itself in the leg with avoidable mistakes here and there. What I expected his administration to have done is simple: address a press conference that the President had talked to Buhari, Datti Ahmed on several occasions asking for their support to quench the insurgency but have all flatly refused to lend support. Let him put the blame on them, let him put sway the public opinion against them but not clearly acting foolish and then expect Nigerians to say eeyah, can't Datti Ahmed figure out he should have jumped at that opportunity?

You have typed absolute nonsense as expected. You cheaply gave yourself away at the bolded. First the man was actually preoccupied with bashing GEJ and calling for amnesty for the last several months. That was his preoccupation and song. Secondly, how can anyone in Niegria say he is preoccupied if called to serve in the most important task at hand right now. Apart from maybe medical reason, how can any one and a northern leader at that say he is preoccupied with other things when asked to help find a solution to BH. You are too slow, honestly
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Afam4eva(m): 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Look Afam, I understand you perfectly. But we can sit here all day and debate the grammar or get off our azz and go do something about it. One thing I have come to see about Nigerians is that we are very cowardly and lazy and will rather engage in the blame game than act to solve our problems. That is the whole point of this thread. What do we as individuals contribute to the process. I laugh with the way we talk about government in Nigeria. Obama said clearly yesterday that the most important factor to solving the the case was the peoples input and called on everyone to participate. Here, we just say it is government responsibility as if government is aso rock. I have been to several countries and I cantell you that it is only in Nigeria and a very few other nations people talk like that
I agree with you but Nigeria is not like the US. In Nigeria, you could get arrested for saving a dying accident victim. You could get killed by reporting a criminal to the authorities. It's even the police that with rat out out. Our system is dysfunctional and the best we can do is to protest and hope that the government will do the right thing. That's if we're not shot at. We all agree that the ordinary Nigerian has a role to play.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:12pm On Apr 19, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Are you for real? lol

Am I for real? ... grin

Please run along if you have nothing to say
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

Am I for real? ... grin

Please run along if you have nothing to say

Seriously, why create a thread if you're just going to abuse everyone for having an opinion different from yours?

Obliviously, you're waiting to agree with a viewpoint that aligns with yours.

And if you seriously can't grasp how your president's functionality affects how patriotic a citizen can be, then .....
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:17pm On Apr 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
I agree with you but Nigeria is not like the US. In Nigeria, you could get arrested for saving a dying accident victim. You could get killed by reporting a criminal to the authorities. It's even the police that with rat out out. Our system is dysfunctional and the best we can do is to protest and hope that the government will do the right thing. That's if we're not shot at. We all agree that the ordinary Nigerian has a role to play.

Afam, you are only strenghtening my point with these excuses. It is nothing but an escapist rhetoric. No policeman will shoot you because you are saving a life. There might be isolated incidences of police mishaps but we all go to the police station every now and then and these things dont happen like that. We are all just looking for reasons not to act. It is an inherent laziness and weakness. It is the real problem of Nigeria.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

I do not know how long you have being on this forum. However if you have navigated this site for more than one month, you should not have raised a poser about my solution. My solution to the cesspit called Nigeria is disintegration. There are no bases for any sort of repair because the country called Nigeria is an accident of British imperial suzerainty.

If that is your solution, why not start a war. My position is you should do something, even if it is termed negative. You should act. Not just talk. Thats my take
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

You have typed absolute nonsense as expected. You cheaply gave yourself away at the bolded. First the man was actually preoccupied with bashing GEJ and calling for amnesty for the last several months. That was his preoccupation and song. Secondly, how can anyone in Niegria say he is preoccupied if called to serve in the most important task at hand right now. Apart from maybe medical reason, how can any one and a northern leader at that say he is preoccupied with other things when asked to help find a solution to BH. You are too slow, honestly

This type of reasoning you have shown is what,unfortunately, has come to characterized this present clueless administration. Why has GEJ not appointed all his critics to this committee since your criterion is basically that of criticism? So in your intelligent mind, anyone that criticizes a government is actually not preoccupied with any other stuffs and thus should readily jump into an assignment in which he was neither consulted nor briefed on what to do? GEJ is a superstar, highly competent and adeptly strategic in navigating troubled waters. Are you happy now?
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 5:22pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

My grandpa said that anybody who does not remember where the rain started beating him\her shall never know where the rain stopped. People such as you who seemed apathetic to historic facts tend to commit the same blunders over and over again.

If you are such a patriotic Nigeria, one wonders what is still holding back from setting up examples.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 19, 2013
Eziachi:

Obama was in Boston within 48 hours in person with his wife to reassure the city and the citizens, in your own case, it took your president 2 years to reach Borno state, only after being blackmailed into it by the opposition governors.

Still the best reply here by far cool
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by thelastPope(m): 5:28pm On Apr 19, 2013
Dede1:

My grandpa said that anybody who does not remember where the rain started beating him\her shall never know where the rain stopped. People such as you who seemed apathetic to historic facts tend to commit the same blunders over and over again.

If you are such a patriotic Nigeria, one wonders what is still holding back from setting up examples.

I am setting examples, for sure. And I will continue to contribute my quota until we either get it right or disintegrate. Interestingly, I am all for disintegration, but I will not sit back and do nothing but just talk.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2013
My personal impression is that the committee will fail. The composition does not reflect what can work and the precedent (MEND amnesty) the country seems to be following has next to nothing in common with this political statement written with Islamic pen called Boko Haram. I know someone like Bolaji Akinyemi, also on the committee, would know ultimately that the committee is dead on arrival. He accepted probably to learn more about the sect.
Re: Lessons From The USA - When Nationhood Supercedes Partisanship by Dede1(m): 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2013
thelastPope:

If that is your solution, why not start a war. My position is you should do something, even if it is termed negative. You should act. Not just talk. Thats my take

I do not believe in the school of thought which states disintegration could only be achieved through war. Countries such as USSR and Czechoslovakia did not engage in a war before breaking up. I have been in a war already during an attempt to disintegrate Nigeria. As it stands now, I am doing my best to keep the desire to disintegrate Nigeria alertly alive among my people.

Was it not my negative contribution get you twisted a little while ago?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Women Resort To Using Pepper Spray As A Defence Mechanism / Christiano Ronaldo Beg Nigeria Fans To Vote Change / OBA Of Lagos Has Finally Clarify His Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.