Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon (1070 Views)

EFCC Traces N17.5bn To Accounts Of Ex-naf Chiefs’ Wives / I Did Not Award Any $2 Billion Contract For Procurement Of Weapons - Jonathan / FG To Sign $7 Billion Contract For Mambila Power Plant This Month!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by LocalChamp: 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2013
Imo’s N1b contract palaver: EFCC traces funds to Lebanon

Posted by: Yusuf Alli on April 19, 2013

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested and grilled Imo State Commissioner for Finance, Deacon Okafor Chike John and Accountant-General, Eche Ezenna George over alleged N1.15 billion contract scam.

The two officials were being detained as at press time for interrogation

But the anti-graft commission has recorded a breakthrough by tracing a huge chunk of the contract funds to some accounts in Lebanon.

The money laundering accounts are being linked to one or two government officials.

According to sources, the Commissioner and the Accountant-General were arrested and brought to Abuja for quizzing on Wednesday.

A brief on the investigation said: “The Commissioner and the AG were picked up yesterday and are currently being questioned at the commission’s office in Abuja.

“They were arrested following petitions in respect of the over N1billion construction contract awarded JPROS International Limited for which the former Deputy Governor, Jude Agbaso was recently impeached.

“Investigation has revealed that due process was not followed and the contract value was paid to the contractor even before the commencement of the work.”

But investigation revealed that a huge chunk of the contract sum had been traced by the EFCC to some accounts in Lebanon.

A reliable source said: “As a matter of fact, we have discovered some slush accounts in Lebanon where a part of the contract sum was lodged.

“This is a pure case of money laundering which we are already investigating. One of the accounts has been linked to a brother-in-law of a government functionary in the state.

“You can understand why the contractor is central to the ongoing probe of the N1billion. We will interact with more officials connected with the contract.

“Those who have no case to answer will be set free but others who abetted the alleged laundering of the contract sum will certainly face trial.”

The Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren confirmed the arrest of the two officials.

Uwujaren said: “We have the two government officials with us; they are still being questioned by operatives from the relevant desks.

“The contractor was earlier interrogated before the government officials were invited.”

Asked if the agency would interact with the recently-impeached Deputy Governor, Mr. Jude Agbaso, he added: “I won’t be specific but more personalities would be invited.”

Uwujaren was silent on whether the contractor was still in detention or had been released on administrative bail.

In the last two months, there had been feud in the state over the award of about N1.15billion contract to Messrs JPROS Nigeria Limited and Timik Construction Coy.

The contract was meant for the following projects: (a) Ware-house Orlu Road junction; (b) Odunze Aba Road; (c) Amaigbo Street to old Nekede Road; and (d) Dualization of Orlu Main Town.But the contract was greeted with alleged bribery scandal which led to the impeachment of Agbaso, who denied involvement in the scam.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/imos-n1b-contract-palaver-efcc-traces-funds-to-lebanon/
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Dede1(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2013
This is one case I would not want the authorities to shove under the rug. There are serious political implications riding on this case. If this case turns out to be a masterminded political screw job, the entire Imo state government functionaries must be sacked
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Nkemtreasure: 3:25pm On Apr 19, 2013
I am in full support of the EFCC if they do this job well. It was the Gov who asked that d money be paid in FULL even though the job hadn't started yet it was the dep Gov that was impeached and nothing was even done to the company who gave the bribe. I'm no politician and hate being deceived.
Pls EFCC, get to the root of the matter
God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by oshyno(m): 3:31pm On Apr 19, 2013
Rochas this is happening under ur nose and u cant claim ignorant of this. I knew it that the whole brouhaha was about 2015 after all. Deputy refused to join APC, Rochas plotted his removal to put in a loyalist. I believe more will still be exposed as d former deputy gov broda is a political heavy weight. Keenly watching I swear.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 19, 2013
I suspected foul play from day one. Rochas is becoming a huge DISAPPOINTMENT.

Anyway, I hope the EFCC will get to the bottom of this saga.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Tolexander: 6:30pm On Apr 19, 2013
EFCC can't get to the bottom of any saga. Where has been the outcome of the previous scandals?
Where is Maina?
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 20, 2013
Tolexander: EFCC can't get to the bottom of any saga. Where has been the outcome of the previous scandals?
Where is Maina?
I tire o! abeg help me ask dem!
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Marotzke(m): 6:20am On Apr 20, 2013
berem: I tire o! abeg help me ask dem!
If you ask dem, Na who dem go come ask? Dis matter wey you de see so heavy o. Hmnn.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by GOZILLA(m): 7:56am On Apr 20, 2013
Things fall apart. The unraveling begins......
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Abagworo(m): 9:01am On Apr 20, 2013
I wonder why they would deliberately do all this just to set the deputy Governor up. That's too bad. I don't think there's any case here. The contractor paid the money into his(contractor's) own account and bore false witness that he paid it to the DG. I think this is more of ICPC than EFCC job unless he'll be arraigned for money laundering but according to the DG, the money was transferred to help facilitate credit from the Lebanese bank to Jpros.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Marotzke(m): 8:37pm On May 23, 2013
N.a. wao. Rochas just de exhibit his true colours.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Lordjunta(m): 11:17pm On May 23, 2013
I came to knwn d true Rochas whn he sacked sacked and dissolved d entire Imo state including d elected LG chairman and 10,000 civil servants employed by d past administration referring to dem as ''Politically Motivated'' and ppl including d deposed Deputy Governor wer clapping for him. More revelations ar yet to come,dnt drink tombo,red wine is on d way.
Re: Imo’s N1 Billion Contract Palaver: EFCC Traces Funds To Lebanon by Marotzke(m): 9:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
And you accused Ikiri of being corrupt. n a wao.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of The US Navy Testing Their New Laser Weapon System / Goodluck Jonathan 2015 Click Like To Support A Man With Democratic Values / Photo: Govr Fashola Buying Boli (roasted Platain )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.