Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,769 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial (1835 Views)

Photos Of Abba Moro Arriving Court Today For Trial / I’m Not Ready For Trial, Says Dasuki / Photos: Asari Dokubo And MASSOB Leader Hold Private Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 1:55am On Apr 20, 2013
The Supreme Court, Friday, gave the
Attorney General of the Federation,
AGF, Mohammed Adoke Bello, SAN, the
nod to prosecute the leader of the
Movement for the Actualization of the
Sovereign State of Biafra, MASSOB,
Chief Ralph Uwazuruike and six others,
for allegedly committing treason
against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
A five- man panel of justices of the
apex court led by Justice Mahmud
Mohammed, dismissed an appeal
before it by the accused MASSOB
members, saying that their “trial should
proceed with dispatch.”
However, the Supreme Court’s decision
triggered angry reactions from Igbo,
most of who described the Federal
Government position on MASSOB as
absurd, especially in ‘’view of the kid
glove approach it had adopted in the
case of Boko Haram adherents who are
being considered for amnesty.’’
Aside Uwazurike, the other accused
persons the apex court directed the
Abuja Division of the Federal High
Court to promptly commence their trial
included Ambrose Anyaso, Augustine
Ihuoma, Chibuike Nwosu, Kelechi
Ubabuike, Chimankpa Okorocha and
Benedict Alakwem.
The Federal Government had on
November 8, 2005, arraigned the
accused persons before the Federal
High Court, on a four-count criminal
charge bothering on treasonable
felony.
The government had alleged that the
accused persons who it said were top
officials at the MASSOB headquarters
situated at Okwe, Onu-Imo Local
Government Area of Imo State, on
diverse dates between January 2004
and October 2005, at Owerri and other
places in Nigeria, “with intent to levy
war, overawe and overthrow the
legitimate government of Nigeria,”
conspired to commit felony to wit:
treason against the Federal Republic of
Nigeria, contrary to Sections 37 (2),
62(2) (1) 64, 237 (1) of the Criminal
Code Act Chapter 77, Laws of the
Federation of Nigeria 1990 and
punishable under Sections 37 and 63 of
the same Act.
Besides, they were accused of
belonging to a militant group called
MASSOB Army and undergoing training
with the intent to levy war in order to
overthrow the President and
government, as well as, formed,
managed and assisted in the
management of an unlawful society of
more than 10 persons whose aim was
to incite acts of violence and disturb
peace and order in the country.
The accused persons had pleaded not
guilty to the charge and urged the trial
court to quash it for being incompetent
and baseless, contending that there
was no proof of evidence indicting
them to the commission of any crime
known to law.
Their Counsel, Festus Keyamo,
however, challenged their arraignment
despite a subsisting order of the
Federal High Court, Owerri, made on
January 18, 2005, which had restrained
the Federal Government from
infringing upon their fundamental
human rights.
Following the refusal of the trial judge,
Justice Binta Nyako to either quash the
charge or release the accused persons
on bail, Keyamo, took the case before
the Appeal Court in Abuja, which on
May 15, 2008, granted them bail, but
also refused to dismiss the charge.
Dissatisfied, the accused persons took
the case to the Supreme Court.
According to Justice Bode Rhodes-
Vivour who delivered the lead
judgement, “this appeal to my mind is
unnecessary and clearly a waste of
precious judicial time since all the
information imaginable that the
appellants’ would need for their
defence has been available to them
before they appealed to the Court of
Appeal.
“Courts are set up with the sole
purpose to do substantial justice
between the parties… The argument
that the charge should be dismissed
because it was not accompanied by
proof of evidence is a mere technicality
designed to defeat the course of
justice.
“In the light of the fact that the proof of
evidence has been filed and is
available to the appellants, trial should
proceed with dispatch. This appeal is
dismissed,” he added.
Other members of the panel who
concurred with the lead verdict were
Justices John Afolabi Fabiyi, Mary
Ukaego Peter-Odili and Kumai Bayang
Akaahs.
However, reacting to the judgement,
Emeka Umeagbalasi, Chairman of
International Society for Civil Liberties
and the Rule of Law, said, “I wonder
the circumstances under which
Uwazurike and his MASSOB colleagues
should be tried for treason. MASSOB is
a non-violent organization that has not
at any time taken up arms against the
Federal Government like the other
groups such as Boko Haram and the
Niger Delta militants had done.
“Despite taking up arms against
government and killing people and
destroying the economy of the country,
these groups have not been made to
face any trial.
“The decision to try Uwazurike and
members of his group shows the
inequality that exists in Nigeria and we
condemn the court pronouncement on
this matter because it is an extension
of war against the Igbo using judicial
mechanism.’’
“Igbo have been suffering economic,
social and political marginalization, but
they still want to go further to provoke
them. This ruling should be condemned
because this kind of ruling does not
encourage peace in the country.”
Also, Elder Chris Eluomuno, President,
Ohaneze Ndigbo in Anambra State,
said, “We have to study the case and
see what the charges against the
MASSOB leader and his members are.
Treasonable felony is not a small
allegation and it is only when we get
the details that we can react
appropriately.”
The state Chairman of All Nigeria
Peoples Party, ANPP, in Imo State, Chief
Vitalis Orikeze Ajumbe, described the
judgement as “most surprising,
especially as loyalists of MASSOB and
their leader, Chief Uwazuruike, do not
carry arms and have never killed
anybody.”
According to Ajumbe, it was ridiculous
that the Federal Government was
presently trying to pacify members of
the Boko Haram, despite the atrocities
committed by the group on
defenceless citizens.
“Honestly, I am in deep shock over the
Supreme Court judgement. The Federal
Government is trying to pacify the
Boko Haram, despite the despicable
atrocities committed by the group.
MEND killed several people in the past
and have again resumed their
onslaught and none of them was tried
for treason.”
Chief Uwazuruike neither picked nor
returned the calls put across to him by
Saturday Vanguard, but a friend of him
said that he was not yet aware of the
judgement as at 4.10pm yesterday,
pointing out that he would however,
call his lawyer to confirm the story.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/alleged-treason-s-court-okays-massob-leader-uwazuruike-six-others-for-trial/
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 2:04am On Apr 20, 2013
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by pazienza(m): 2:32am On Apr 20, 2013
Is this a joke or what?
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by manny4life(m): 2:55am On Apr 20, 2013
What sort of perpetrated evil is this?

Umunna na umunne'm, ekene m'unu,

Anyi atago afufu nke ojoo e, kedu nke mbu na ndi ochichi Nigeria agaghi arapu anyi ka anyi kwulu onwe anyi? Obi na ewute'm, nke'a adirozi mma, oge elugo mgbe anyi ga azoputa onwe anyi. Osisi nulu na ha ga egbutu ya kwulu, mana ndigbo nulu na mba ozo choro i gbu ha, anyi agaghi ekwe ka nke a mee. Anyi ga na akwado maka ife ga eme nu, ndi nwelu nti ga anu.

Daalu nu.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Willy7(m): 3:12am On Apr 20, 2013
Nigeria,the country where the tail wags the dog.Though i dont support lawlessness,but why is it that the Nigerian state is quick to action whenever it has to do with peaceful groups?How many mosque has Massob bombed?How many govt institutions have they attacked or bombed?How many muslims have they killed in pursuit of their agenda?Is Massob a terrorist organisation?What have this group done to warrant the constant persecution they recieve?I'm asking all these questions because i believe there is a limit to tolerance.Even a lamb can bite when pushed to the wall.We already have enough at hand to contend with,lets not compound our problems.Lets allow peace to reign.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OgbuefiNegro: 5:11am On Apr 20, 2013
It is a treasonable felony to fly a flag of another country in competition for sovereingty over the flag of the Nigerian Government.

Massob and Uwazuruike are guilty of competing the Biafran flag against the green/white/green.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by okosodo: 5:23am On Apr 20, 2013
@ oguefi negro, do you think if massob decides to go armed now, you will be talking about treasonable nonsense. Any way, its just a way to split this dysfunctional union, i know this will lead to war.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by saintneo(m): 7:26am On Apr 20, 2013
Ogbuefi_Negro: It is a treasonable felony to fly a flag of another country in competition for sovereingty over the flag of the Nigerian Government.

Massob and Uwazuruike are guilty of competing the Biafran flag against the green/white/green.
Hey Dudu-Negro.....nice new handle

Back to the topic
What is Biafra? What is Biafran flag? If Enyimba FC flies a flag similar to the Scots, is that treason? Book Haram has gone against the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, they've killed many, they've challenged the FG and its military. The Supreme Court is yet to try these Book Haram set.

I think it is high time we demand for Amnesty.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 20, 2013
MASSOB dey fall my hand o! They are missing in the whole show going on in this country. Don't they also deserve to be given Amnesty like others? Uwazuruike should better use his head and think! I don't see why MASSOB cannot also secure a contract to protect pipelines in the Southeast. Federal Government is really taking them for a ride. The National Cake must be shared equally! Uwazuruike! wake up from your slumber and stop being a fool!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 20, 2013
Ogbuefi_Negro: It is a treasonable felony to fly a flag of another country in competition for sovereingty over the flag of the Nigerian Government.

Oh please shut the hell up! we have seen more treasonable offences in this country and nothing was done. Why should the Federal Government always shy away from heinous crimes and go after innocent people? I don talk am before, MASSOB dey fall my hand o! when one bomb goes off in a mosque in igbo land and MASSOB claims responsibility, then FG will know that igbos are not cowards!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by onyeego(m): 8:10am On Apr 20, 2013
They are to go on trial, they have not been sentenced to death wink

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Napoleondegreat: 9:30am On Apr 20, 2013
Shame unto Jonathan's Nigeria. A country where terrorist are given amnesty, thieves receive state pardon,etc has no option than to go after the innocent since what it cherish (violence) is exactly what the innocent don't do.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by ecosanders: 10:51am On Apr 20, 2013
berem: Oh please shut the hell up! we have seen more treasonable offences in this country and nothing was done. Why should the Federal Government always shy away from heinous crimes and go after innocent people? I don talk am before, MASSOB dey fall my hand o! when one bomb goes off in a mosque in igbo land and MASSOB claims responsibility, then FG will know that igbos are not cowards!
Berem, i use 2 lik u o, until u start goin viral, y did u kip wishing a bomb goes off in a mosque? Bera nt wish 4 dat o, cos i dnt want 2 hear another Massacre/Genocide complain o.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by alfaman2: 11:03am On Apr 20, 2013
2015 cannot come soon enough.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by alfaman2: 11:05am On Apr 20, 2013

Oya go die.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OneNaira6: 11:13am On Apr 20, 2013
They must be out of their damn mind. What a disgrace of a country. Na Massob una want persecute.
As for massob, judging from some actions, I know there are members of massob on this forum so I go say this to una, Massob that una leader is a bonafide FOOL. Pass that message to him, he's a bonafide FOOL that needs to be slapped and beaten silly, maybe then some sense would return to his head. You better pick up arm oo,I don say am before, I go say am again. This is a nation you do not use a democratic form of protest. They no sabi civilization, you better get uncivilized oo. Una better get ride of your non-violent stanch and pick up some damn arms. Your f2king headquarters is in Onitsha for Godsake. You can find arms in the damn main market. Take the mend and BH for example and notice a pattern. You know no naija now. You better pick up arms ooo. If I see una go media to cry foul for this new persecution, instead of fighting back, I'll personally make sure the entire youth and Igbo population turn against una and beat una till each of your senses return.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 20, 2013
MASSOB gets a treasonable rap sheet for indulging in planning activities “with intent to levy war, overawe and overthrow the legitimate government of Nigeria,” while Boko Haram receives an invitation to dine at the high altar of negotiations for amnesty.

Waiting to see just how this irony is packaged, to be resold...

Boko Haram's onslaught: MASSOB vows to defend Jonathan
Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has stated its preparedness to rise in defence of President Goodluck Jonathan's administration against the unending menace of the radical Islamic set, Boko Haram.
http://nigeriahornnewspapers.com
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Ngwakwe: 11:38am On Apr 20, 2013
How is it that the Ogoni group which declared independent recently were never arrested, detained or charged to court for felony?

Who are fooling who in Nigeria?

Thank God this development will help to create the cohesive Unity for Ndigbo's final exit from this Cursed Assembly called Nigeria.

All things happens for good to them that have vision for independence

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Ngwakwe: 11:46am On Apr 20, 2013
My interpretation to Supreme Court judgement is those Bigots (Mary Odili inclusive) in the Supreme Court have declared an un-ending war against Ndigbo.

I hope this war will lead to Sovereign National Conference or to bulkanisation of Nigeria.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Noiseless2: 11:47am On Apr 20, 2013
We are all aware that the massob leadership and uwazuruike are clueless and their cluelessness has turned them into nigeria govt tools.

So if uwazuruike and co want us to believe they are no longer some clueless nigeria govt tools, and are facing persecution by the nigeria govt they work for then they have alot of convincing to do.

Uwazuruike is a govt agent, let him prove us wrong.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Ngwakwe: 11:49am On Apr 20, 2013
Ndigbo are patiently waiting for their arrest today or tomorrow.

The question will be, who will order the arrest and who will execute it?

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 20, 2013
Onye kpotere nwagu no na ora, mgbe agu ga abia agbakwala oso. Ogbunigwe ka dikwa ya o
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by pazienza(m): 12:43pm On Apr 20, 2013
Noiseless2: We are all aware that the massob leadership and uwazuruike are clueless and their cluelessness has turned them into nigeria govt tools.

So if uwazuruike and co want us to believe they are no longer some clueless nigeria govt tools, and are facing persecution by the nigeria govt they work for then they have alot of convincing to do.

Uwazuruike is a govt agent, let him prove us wrong.

Uwazuruike is a clown,one which any sensible igbo person must disassociate himself/herself from. Ndiigbo have many questions begging for answers, Uwazuruike is not the answer. Let him die of his folly,since he has refused to adapt to the nigerian enviroment.

It's only natural that any organism that failed to acquire features that would enable it survive/thrive in it's enviroment,no matter how harsh and brutal the enviroment might be,would soon or later become extinct to be replaced by a more adapted organism.

Uwazuruike and his silly massob need to die, they have simply failed to adapt to their enviroment,nobody can save him.

The vaccum the death of massob will create in igboland,would be filled by a more adapted group,as nature abhors vaccum.

Ndewo nu.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by ak47mann(m): 1:14pm On Apr 20, 2013
Nothing will happen is just one of those news that end up with no action,we have heard it before so is just another false alarm.Federal Govt knows what Massob can do. cool cool
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by ak47mann(m): 1:24pm On Apr 20, 2013
ecosanders: Berem, i use 2 lik u o, until u start goin viral, y did u kip wishing a bomb goes off in a mosque? Bera nt wish 4 dat o, cos i dnt want 2 hear another Massacre/Genocide complain o.
this is not 1967 i dont no why you people refuse to accept that things have changed for good? this time around who will help you or support you?nigeria is more divided than ever,this time around it will be a different song you lot will be singing all together....
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OgbuefiNegro: 1:26pm On Apr 20, 2013
berem: MASSOB dey fall my hand o! They are missing in the whole show going on in this country. Don't they also deserve to be given Amnesty like others? Uwazuruike should better use his head and think! I don't see why MASSOB cannot also secure a contract to protect pipelines in the Southeast. Federal Government is really taking them for a ride. The National Cake must be shared equally! Uwazuruike! wake up from your slumber and stop being a fool!

The only national cake uwazuruike is going to share is plates of beans in kirikiri prisons. cool
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OgbuefiNegro: 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2013
berem: Oh please shut the hell up! we have seen more treasonable offences in this country and nothing was done. Why should the Federal Government always shy away from heinous crimes and go after innocent people? I don talk am before, MASSOB dey fall my hand o! when one bomb goes off in a mosque in igbo land and MASSOB claims responsibility, then FG will know that igbos are not cowards!

yeah, Happy New Year to you too dear. Im wishing you prosperity and matrimony with a Yoruba man. grin
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OgbuefiNegro: 1:31pm On Apr 20, 2013
saintneo:
Hey Dudu-Negro.....nice new handle

Back to the topic
What is Biafra? What is Biafran flag? If Enyimba FC flies a flag similar to the Scots, is that treason? Book Haram has gone against the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, they've killed many, they've challenged the FG and its military. The Supreme Court is yet to try these Book Haram set.

I think it is high time we demand for Amnesty.

lmao. tell your brothers in mod office to stop banning negro......i thought i spelt it out in the amnesty request to seun. all tribalists and bigots must be released from ban! angry
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Dede1(m): 1:52pm On Apr 20, 2013
I warned MAASOB and its leadership that barking without displaying fearful fangs will not cut it in the jungle called Nigeria. Most Nigerians do not tend to follow historical events. The angry posturing of groups such as OPC, MOSOP, MEND and Boko Haram can not be equated to the marked history of Nigeria that trails MASSOB and its members. Such historical facts send chills to the spines of most Nigerians whose benevolent spirit of nepotism cracked their palm kernel would want the battered ship-Nigeria to sail along.

I do not blame the idiotic justices of the so-called Supreme Court of Nigeria because Ndigbo have gone into deep slumber in the accident called Nigeria.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by OgbuefiNegro: 2:01pm On Apr 20, 2013
Dede1: I warned MAASOB and its leadership that barking without displaying fearful fangs will not cut it in the jungle called Nigeria. Most Nigerians do not tend to follow historical events. The angry posturing of groups such as OPC, MOSOP, MEND and Boko Haram can not be equated to the marked history of Nigeria that trails MASSOB and its members. Such historical facts send chills to the spines of most Nigerians whose benevolent spirit of nepotism cracked their palm kernel would want the battered ship-Nigeria to sail along.

I do not blame the idiotic justices of the so-called Supreme Court of Nigeria because Ndigbo have gone into deep slumber in the accident called Nigeria.

if i hear you, ever again, band OPC in same category as you just did with terrorists, you will become the 8th accused person on this felony trial.

i want to see you jubilate now as youve always done when talking about trumped up charges of treasonable felony against awo and enahoro.
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by mekaboy(m): 2:14pm On Apr 20, 2013
You will not empower igbo youths with scholarships, skills and capital to make igbo land great. You won't set up factories and better infrastructure, create employment for igbo youths.

Your busy flying flag, gathering touts in the name of massob. Looking for who will contribute monthly income for you and your touts.

If na when he enter kiri kiri that he will know he is on his own on this massob rubbish.

If they are found guilty let them do the time so that the FG will have no reason to grant amnesty to Boko Haram, since these ones are doing time.
Ndi ara
Re: Supreme Court Okays MASSOB Leader, Uwazuruike, 6 Others For Trial by Dede1(m): 2:18pm On Apr 20, 2013
Ogbuefi_Negro:

if i hear you, ever again, band OPC in same category as you just did with terrorists, you will become the 8th accused person on this felony trial.

i want to see you jubilate now as youve always done when talking about trumped up charges of treasonable felony against awo and enahoro.

I have known your foolery is legendary. I guess the Igbo man who was convicted along with Awolowo does not count. It is very delightful when watching you flaunt ignorance in the public arena. By the way, who in his\her right senses will lose a sleep because OPC is making a noise? We know them by their roots.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Present Your 19 Governors, Presidential Aide Dares Amaechi / Photo Of The Day: Young President Goodluck Jonathan / Discovering Nigeria's Educational Excellence Of Achebe's There Was A Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.