Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? (12228 Views)

Why Can't I Access My Perfectmoney Account From My Bb Phone? / Steps To Forming Saving Habit And Financial-Freedom / Tips On Saving For Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Twenty5: 9:12am On Apr 20, 2013
I just discovered that no matter how hard i try to save in a month other things of necessities must come up,i am not even talking of my wife to be who is not even demanding.I have read books on finance.i have applied them and it works but within the past three months have not being able to maintain this useful principles i derived from books.

Can someone help me out on what to do and also share with me any story of yours that can help?
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by uboma(m): 9:37am On Apr 20, 2013
Twenty5: I just discovered that no matter how hard i try to save in a month other things of necessities must come up,i am not even talking of my wife to be who is not even demanding.I have read books on finance.i have applied them and it works but within the past three months have not being able to maintain this useful principles i derived from books.

Can someone help me out on what to do and also share with me any story of yours that can help?

The key word here is discipline. Without it, even if u earn a million naira on a monthly basis, u still won't be able to save. I have a friend who worked in one of the banks (well before Sanusi Lamido became the CBN governor), then the salary and allowances was so attracting. He worked for 4 years before buying his first car. I remember some colleagues then used to call him names like 'stingy fellow' and the like. He will always ask for a lift from colleagues after work. He eventually bought his car in the fourth year with no bank loan. He single handed ly bought the car from the investments he had. He had a lot of shares then and other businesses that were doing well and it was from the dividends then that he bought a car worth 1.5 million naira way back in 2006. The lesson here is that he remained focused and disciplined himself to save and avoid going into debt like his colleagues who were always assessing car loans and the like.

15 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by dearestsewa(f): 11:54pm On Apr 21, 2013
@op, I thot i was d only one wtout d discipline to save. I wonder if pple can gv us further advice abt it. Pls OP, what bks did u read? I read RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Twenty5: 12:20am On Apr 22, 2013
dearestsewa: @op, I thot i was d only one wtout d discipline to save. I wonder if pple can gv us further advice abt it. Pls OP, what bks did u read? I read RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON.

my friend,it was thesame that i read o,bt jus like what you guys said that discipline is the key word,thanks i appreciate
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Twenty5: 12:21am On Apr 22, 2013
uboma:

The key word here is discipline. Without it, even if u earn a million naira on a monthly basis, u still won't be able to save. I have a friend who worked in one of the banks (well before Sanusi Lamido became the CBN governor), then the salary and allowances was so attracting. He worked for 4 years before buying his first car. I remember some colleagues then used to call him names like 'stingy fellow' and the like. He will always ask for a lift from colleagues after work. He eventually bought his car in the fourth year with no bank loan. He single handed ly bought the car from the investments he had. He had a lot of shares then and other businesses that were doing well and it was from the dividends then that he bought a car worth 1.5 million naira way back in 2006. The lesson here is that he remained focused and disciplined himself to save and avoid going into debt like his colleagues who were always assessing car loans and the like.

thank ou for this piece,i love it
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2013
Twenty5: I just discovered that no matter how hard i try to save in a month other things of necessities must come up,i am not even talking of my wife to be who is not even demanding.I have read books on finance.i have applied them and it works but within the past three months have not being able to maintain this useful principles i derived from books.

read more and pass more exams!
it's obvious your lifestyle and your remuneration are not in sync. i don't believe in suffering myself in order to live a good life. if it's not enough, have it at the back of your mind you can make more money - follow that pathway and the mouthwatering job shall be yours!
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by mysticgal(f): 5:19pm On Apr 22, 2013
uboma nailed it,i dont get like big money,but i make sure i save,no matter how it pinches,and even though i forfeit some wants.disciplines helps alot.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Pennywise(m): 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

read more and pass more exams!
it's obvious your lifestyle and your remuneration are not in sync. i don't believe in suffering myself in order to live a good life. if it's not enough, have it at the back of your mind you can make more money - follow that pathway and the mouthwatering job shall be yours!

And if that mouthwatering job doesnt come, you wallow in abject poverty? Nonsense advise. Insanity.

No amount of money is ever enough if you are not prepared to sew your coat according to your cloth

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by benswagtt(m): 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2013
The fact is dat, if u cant save money wen u dnt have, there is 80% probability dat u'll nt save wen u hav more

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by okoraforaboy: 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2013
re-shape ur life and the way u spend.minimize ur spending,then plan ahead.try give ur wife some money to keep for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2013
Well, first reduce the no of girlfriends you have. embarassed
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by cremeandchic: 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
PAY YOUR TITHES!

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Danykooko: 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
contact me for tips on that
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by 50calibre(m): 5:26pm On Apr 22, 2013
Compulsive Spending Addiction. Seek professional help if you have access to one. If you don't, then you might want to hand over your finances to your wife.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by gbollykore: 5:26pm On Apr 22, 2013
maybe your expenses is more than your income ( omi po ju oka lo ) hotwater is more than yamflower
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Curiouscity(m): 5:27pm On Apr 22, 2013
If you can't save, don't kill yourself. Some people are just wired not to have a saving account. But you can invest the money directly. Depending on what you are saving for, you can start paying for it every month as your salary comes.
House: Get a trusted agent and deposit an agreed amount every month for the land. Then start buying blocks and other things in bits every month.
Marriage: Make your engagement official. Start paying for items one after the other. My good friend bought his wedding items over two yrs, one at a time. Involve you fiancee and get her committed to buying her stuffs whenever you give her money.
Car: Locate a trusted car dealer and agree on an amount to deposit every month.

In that way you don't go back to get the money for your 'immediate' needs.
But hope of saving is not lost, as you can try the style I used when I started saving.
Open a separate saving account(different from you salary account) in a bank that is not you regular bank and doesn't have a branch near you. Don't collect any ATM card for that particular account. Commit yourself to depositing a fix % of your salary into this account the very day you get your salary alert. It helps sometimes!!

Good luck!!

11 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by dagentility(f): 5:30pm On Apr 22, 2013
Hmm,sorry oo,maybe you need deliverance cos somtimes it a spiritual matter.
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by blaise26abj(m): 5:31pm On Apr 22, 2013
U need a mission to save.You just don't save for saving sake. Remember growing up and the piggy bank and the irresistible urge to want open the damn thing to remove money for sweets. But if ur pops told you that to get you a bicycle, save 50 naira, nothing will make u remove money. Have a plan for the money you want to save then other necessities will not bulge ur resolve.

6 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by CocoLoca(f): 5:33pm On Apr 22, 2013
I can help you save 1/3 of your money. Just send to me every month end for safe-keeping wink *runs away*
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by merciie(f): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2013
I suggest you join a sort of cooperative society, where your money is deducted from the source, that way you won't have a choice than to "manage" the remaining you have at your disposal. That way you can now withdraw your savings at the end of a particular period and use it for something tangible

8 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by manny4life(m): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2013

Reading finance books with applying it is just waste of time, like @uboma said, financial discipline is required. I have this conversation with my co-workers ALL THE TIME, ALWAYS separate your "WANTS" from your "NEEDS". Your needs are very important and should be taken care of, any other extras are just wants and should be discretionary. Also, if that doesn't work, employ the "MANDATORY MEASURE", have your employer, bank or whatever institution remove money as soon as it hits your account. This will force you to live within your means knowing that you savings somewhere.

To reiterate

A. Separate your wants from needs. Every need (housing, and feeding etc) is mandatory, meanwhile wants such as added luxury is just what it is. This has worked well for me - why spend $8 daily to buy lunch at Chipotle for 5days a week when I can use 1/3rd of same money to prepare my own lunch.

B. Mandatory measure. If you cannot save, let someone enforce you to do so. Go to your employer, bank, setup a savings account, if you get paid on the 1st of every month, tell them to setup an automatic withdrawal on the 2nd based on certain parameters, and don't forget to tell them that they should institute a penalty upon withdrawal.

I talk about this because it has helped me save a whole lot.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2013
i spend to the point of bankruptcy. its a bad habit. embarassed sad
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Burger01(m): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2013
Personal savings could be quite difficult and challenging unless forced or helped to do so. How do I mean? If for instance you have a govt job, organised private job or any job at that that has a good personnel and payroll system then 'savings' is just a matter of you joining a cooperative and instructing your organisation to deduct so so amount from your gross pay and credit the deducted amount to your cooperative account. The net pay would be your take home. By doing this you gradually build up on your saving habit. I've seen workers bought cars, plots of land, paid travelling expenses et al from such savings.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by coogar: 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2013
Pennywise:
And if that mouthwatering job doesnt come, you wallow in abject poverty? Nonsense advise.

you are a miserable cünt....
so degrading himself like a pauper is his only means of saving money? are you a slave of money or money is your slave?

No amount of money is ever enough if you are not prepared to sew your coat according to your cloth

the op is not careless with his money
read his comment very well - he said no matter how hard he tried he finds it difficult to save at the end of the month. indiscipline is not his problem, the income is the problem.

6 Likes

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2013
Discipline is the key. If you really wanna start saving, you have to deprive yourself of certain things

1 Like

Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Pennywise(m): 5:38pm On Apr 22, 2013
coogar:

you are a miserable cünt....
so degrading himself like a pauper is his only means of saving money? are you a slave of money or money is your slave?

the op is not careless with his money
read his comment very well - he said no matter how hard he tried he finds it difficult to save at the end of the month. indiscipline is not his problem, the income is the problem.

Gerrhout. Go look for your playmate
Re: Why Can't I Maintain My Saving Habit? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
coolYou need self descipline nd focus too cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SEC On Lockdown Over Attempt To Reinstate Suspended DG, Gwarzo / Upwork Account price slash to 2k / FG To Sell Nigerian Communications Satellite –BPE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.