Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours (4735 Views)

Transfer Gossip Column: Stones, Balotelli, Ramos, Young, Wenger / Transfer Gossip Column / Daily Transfer Gossip Column (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 11:46am On Apr 10, 2008
Thursday's gossip column

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Chelsea could take Manchester City's Andreas Isaksson or Thomas Sorensen of Aston Villa on emergency loan to cover their goalkeeping crisis (The Guardian).

Dundee manager Alex Rae has dismissed Liverpool's interest in 19-year-old midfielder Kevin McDonald, saying "sitting in the reserves won't help him" (The Independent).

On-loan striker Dougie Freedman hopes to extend his loan at Leeds rather than return to Crystal Palace (The Independent).

Manager Roy Keane says Sunderland are "beefing up" their European scouting network because of high transfer prices in Britain (Daily Star).

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi says it is "very likely" striker Andriy Shevchenko will return to the club from Chelsea. Berlusconi is godfather to the player's first son (The Sun).

Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor says there will be big changes at the end of the season following their Champions League failure (Daily Star).

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy has agreed a new £40,000-a-week contract to stay until 2011 (Daily Mail).

Preston are set to move for out-of-contract Dundee United midfielder Mark Kerr but face opposition from Aberdeen and Hearts. (Various)

Manchester United could provide the opposition for the game where Motherwell rename their main stand after the late Phil O'Donnell (Daily Record).

Avram Grant is under pressure in Israel to stand down from management duties for the second leg of Chelsea's Champions League semi-final as it falls on Holocaust Memorial Day (The Times).

Defender Rio Ferdinand had blood visibly leaking through his boot during Manchester United's win over Roma (Daily Star).

Newcastle's Mark Viduka could give up playing for Australia to extend his Magpies career (Daily Star).

England's friendly away to Trinidad and Tobago on 1 June could kick off at 2230 BST because it is cooler in the evening (The Sun).

Rangers striker Lee McCulloch says team-mates David Weir and Allan McGregor should have been among the shortlist for the players' player of the year. (Various)

Rangers fans travelling to their game with Sporting Lisbon gave emergency medical help to Chelsea player Paulo Ferreira when he collapsed at Lisbon Airport (Daily Record).

Blackburn's David Bentley says he began gambling at the age of 14 and was placing up to 100 bets a day before his girlfriend helped him overcome his addiction (Various).

Former Arsenal striker Dennis Bergkamp, who still lives in England, is to start a coaching course in London after admitting he is "starting to get the itch" to return to football (Various).

Cash-strapped Rotherham's administrators are selling off paintings of their 1996 Auto Windscreens Trophy victory and 2001 promotion campaign to raise funds (The Sun).

The managers of Irish Premier League sides Ballymena and Lisburn Distillery have been banned from going within half a mile of their own grounds after a pitch-side bust-up (Daily Express).
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 1:24pm On Apr 10, 2008
Amuneke Dumps Saudi For Manchester United

Former African Footballer of The Year, Emmanuel Amuneke has quit his job as chief coach at Al Hazen of Saudi Arabia and is now a scout for Premier League champions, Manchester United.

Amuneke disclosed to brilafm.net in an exclusive telephone chat from his base in Spain that he decided to dump the oil-rich Middle East for Europe because of the job’s immense opportunities.

“I was having a happy time in Saudi Arabia, but it’s not the same kind of feeling you get when you are in central Europe.

“It’s not that I did not enjoy working in Saudi, but I feel that my ability would be better felt in Europe, and I am happy doing something for football as a scout of Manchester United,” he stated.

The former Zamalek of Egypt, Sporting Lisbon of Portugal and FC Barcelona of Spain forward revealed further that he was at the last African Cup of Nations in Ghana to check players and has recommended some to the Old Trafford giants but refused to reveal their identities.

“I was in Ghana to see things for myself, and I was able to spot some talents, who I aim to work with in the coming years. These things cannot be rushed, but I believe something will soon work out for those that I was able to recommend to Manchester,” the former left-wing-bomber explained.

Amuneke concluded by disclosing that he is interested in coaching any of the Nigerian national teams, but declared emphatically that he would not beg for the job.

”I believe that I really demonstrated my commitment to Nigeria during my days as a player. This I was able to do by taking many risks while playing for the Super Eagles.

“If that was not enough to convince the officials that I am capable of doing something for the country in other capacities, I will not force them to consider me. It really is up to them to make their judgment and their choices,” he stated.

Source: http://www.brila-fm.net/index.php?r=news&v1=2008-04-09_amuneke-dumps-saudi-for-manchester-united
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 1:26pm On Apr 10, 2008
Chelsea Make Sensational Henry Approach

Chelsea have made tentative enquiries to see if they would have any chance of succeeding with a sensational summer bid to sign Thierry Henry from Barcelona, according to a report.

The Blues have followed the Frenchman's progress at Camp Nou and believe that he could be tempted back to the Premier League and London at the end of the season," Sport state.

Henry moved to the Catalan giants last summer and was ushered in as one of the players to bring back the glory days to the club mas he formed part of what the media called 'the Fantastic Four' alongside Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto'o.

Instead, he has looked out of sorts on the pitch and has stated that he misses his daughter, Téa, who still lives in London with her mother Claire Merry.

Coupled with that, Barça's tactic of short passing and the lack of space afforded to Henry in the left-wing role he has been stationed in have not enabled him to excel.

Whether the Blaugrana would even consider allowing him to leave having spent so long attempting to acquire him from Arsenal is questionable as his contract runs until 2011.

Henry's personal life is seen as they key factor, however, and if his desire to see his daughter more often outweighs his desire to stay in Barcelona, then Chelsea may be able to tempt him back to England.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=651140
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by nateevs(m): 2:04pm On Apr 10, 2008
Bros why don't you just post ithis in the Chelsea thread. . . If we all post all the news we have in the thread it will make the thread more intersting and we make more people come to the thread. Everytime you post something outside the thread you take more and more new members out of the thread.

Now the Henry gists. . .

What I heard was that Barca were open to offers for Henry . . and not particularly Chelsea interested. . Anything with Chelsea interests sells . . and so it makes sense to link Chelsea with even Nuns. .

Personally i think it's a disaster to even be thinking about him. . he's 30 . . will be 31 when the season kicks . . . he is currentl valued at £16m . . and he will have astronomical wage. . . he will turn out to be the spokesman for the team. . . he will talk about everything that's not good at chelsea. . . he will want to be captain. . highest goal scorer. . . he will complain about global warming . . his daughter living in ukraine. . you what I mean. . We are above that era. . . You think I am wrong just try remember what happen the last time we bought a 30million 30 yr-old striker.
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 7:53pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]Berbatov: Milan Talk Is Flattering[/center]

Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov admits he would be flattered if Milan made a bid for him.

Dimitar Berbatov is a wanted man - wanted by most of the biggest clubs in Europe. But Tottenham say they have no intention of letting him go.

However, that has nevber seemed to deter Berbvatov's agent from letting potential new employers know that the Bulgarian would willing to listen to any overtures.

And it seems Berbatov has now sparked renewed speculation about his future whilst talking to the local media in Bulgaria.

Berbatov was in Sofia to receive an award and promote the launch of his own sporting foundation. Whilst in his homeland he was asked about his future by the local media.

And he revealed that there was already interest in him from AC Milan.

"All I can say is that there was an interest from the Italian club, that is all I can say," said Berbatov when asked about Milan.

"If it produces negotiations I will be flattered."

He was also asked about Manchester United's known admiration of him, replying: "I know that Sir Alex [Ferguson] wants me for a quite a while, but at the moment I am a player of Tottenham."

His future at White Hart Lane will no doubt be the subject of considered discussion by Tottenham's coach, Juande Ramos, in the summer.

Ramos will be overhaul the Spurs squad, despite their success in winning the Carling Cup, with both the entrance and exit doors at the Lane expected to be busy.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=653857

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]Berlusconi Reveals Ronnie Talks As Inter Lurk[/center]

The pieces of the jigsaw in Ronaldinho’s summer move to Milan continue to fall into place, as President Silvio Berlusconi reveals that talks with Barcelona have been planned. However Inter could be set to spoil the party.

Barcelona star Ronaldinho has endured a torrid season, disrupted by injuries and a loss of form, and he is expected to leave Camp Nou this summer.

Milan

Over the past week or so, reports in the Italian press have been strengthening that the Brazilian will be signing for Milan.

Indeed Silvio Berlusconi admitted on Tuesday that both Milan and Ronaldinho wanted to sew up the deal.

Now the former Italian prime minister has revealed that talks had been planned between Vice President Adriano Galliani, and Barcelona President Joan Laporta regarding the transfer.

"On Monday, Adriano Galliani should have dined with Joan Laporta, but at the last moment it was cancelled because the president of Barcelona had to go to the United States," explained Berlusconi.

Talks are now expected to be rescheduled for a later date. Ronaldinho will not play again this season due to injury, meaning that he may have already played his last game in a Barcelona shirt.

Inter

However Milan are not the only team interested in Ronaldinho, and the Gazzetta dello Sport is today claiming that Inter are prepared to pay 25 million euros, 5 million more than Milan, in order to sign the 28-year-old.

This report has been strengthened by claims made by Inter director Ernesto Paolillo, who despite ruling out a bid for the star earlier in the week, has now seemingly made a u-turn.

"This is a time when you look around and you try to understand what the market offers," he explained.

"Our money men will do their sums at the end of the season, and then we will really move.

"Ronaldinho? Maybe we could make a call , We have our ears open to everything that moves."

Meanwhile the Corriere dello Sport says that Ronaldinho's brother and agent Roberto de Assis would prefer that the Barcelona man moves to Inter, rather than Milan.

Both Inter and Ronaldinho are sponsored by Nike, which would make for the perfect commercial partnership, while Milan are sponsored by German sportswear rivals Adidas.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=653895

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 7:58pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]Adebayor: There Will Be Changes At Arsenal
[/center]
Emmanuel Adebayor believes that Arséne Wenger is planning to make changes to his Arsenal squad in the summer after their Champions League exit to the hands of Liverpool.

The Togolese striker admits to not knowing if he will be safe, but recognised that new faces were required if the Gunners want to continue to progress on all fronts.

This season, Adebayor has repaid the faith that Wenger paid in him by scoring some crucial goals, but he knows that the team needs strengthening to succeed.

"At the end of the season in every club, there is a lot of changes and there will be here," he told The Sun. "But it is up to the boss to decide who is going to stay and who is going to leave the club.

"I am enjoying it here and a lot of players are happy here. But we have to stay focused and keep on going until the end of the season."

Adebayor believes that Arsenal must use their defeats as well as their wins to learn from and gain experience from the feeling experienced after a bitter reverse like the one tasted this week.

"We have learned a lot of things this year. Defeat can be painful and, hopefully, we can learn from this one," he continued.

"We have to pick ourselves up. It is better now to focus on the game [against Manchester United] on Sunday. It will be another big game for us and we will see what we can do."

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=653906

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 8:30pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]Hicks calls for Parry resignation[/center]

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has written to the club's chief executive Rick Parry calling for him to resign.

Hicks is thought to feel that Parry is siding with co-owner George Gillett in the club's ongoing power struggle.

The latest twist comes on the day Dubai International Capital said it will wait for the saga to be resolved before pursuing its interest in the club.

BBC Sport understands Parry is highly unlikely to resign and that Hicks lacks boardroom support for his shock move.

With the club ownership split 50-50 between the two Americans, Hicks would need approval from Gillett to force Parry out of his position.

But in a brief statement, Parry, who has yet to see the three-page letter, said: "It is my intention to remain focused on the job of serving Liverpool Football Club to the best of my abilities at this very important time of our season."

DIC is said to be unwilling to do business while there is so much turmoil at the club.

"You have two partners who do not see eye to eye. And we decided that we pull out completely. Let them sort out their problems," DIC chief executive Sameer Al Ansari told Arabian Business Magazine.

He added: "We will continue to be interested and would love to own the club but we are not going to put ourselves in a difficult situation where we make the investment but we have no control over the destiny of the club and we cannot influence the success of the club.

"Unfortunately, the terms that have been put on the table do not allow us to do that."

Only last month, Parry asked for the Liverpool co-owners to resolve their differences.

"If they're not able to co-exist then there needs to be a solution where one buys and one sells, or both sell," Parry told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"There aren't too many other possibilities but it's pretty clear that to carry on with the status quo is going to be extremely difficult."

Hicks is said to be unhappy with those comments and was not at Anfield on Tuesday night to watch Liverpool defeat Arsenal in the quarter-final of the Champions League.

Gillett was shown on TV world-wide sitting next to Parry in the Liverpool directors' box.

BBC Sport understands that Hicks feels that the club needs a fresh injection of commercial clout in an attempt to boost their off the field revenue.

Hicks believes the club is falling behind the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea in those areas but the American also feels that Parry has failed to deliver strength and direction in the transfer market.

It is also understood Hicks is aiming to take sole control of the club with his relationship with Gillett described as "unworkable".

But although Gillett is willing to sell, it is thought that he is unwilling to sell to Hicks.

The pair have had a tough time since taking control of the club in February 2007.

Despite seeing the club enjoy some success on the pitch, with Liverpool reaching last season's Champions League final, Hicks and Gillett's relationship with manager Rafa Benitez has often been strained.

Benitez has become increasingly frustrated with the lack of transfer funds made available to him over the past year, although he was able to bring in the likes of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel.

The American pair have not endeared themselves to Liverpool supporters who idolise Benitez and have shown their backing for the Spaniard with a series of rallies.

Plans for a new stadium in Stanley Park have also had to be downsized due to rising costs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7341190.stm
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 8:34pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]'Outcast' Lehmann blasts Wenger[/center]

Out-of-favour goalkeeper Jens Lehmann claims he could have prevented Arsenal going out of the Champions League - if only he had been given the chance.

In German magazine Kicker, Lehmann, 38, hit out at manager Arsene Wenger and first-choice keeper Manuel Almunia, 30, after the defeat by Liverpool.

"For me it is a tragedy since I did not have a chance to prevent it," he said.

"I stayed here to win the competition and saw good chances to play but I've not had them. It makes me very angry."

During the Bundesliga's winter break, the German number one rejected a return to Borussia Dortmund in an effort to regain his starting place with the Gunners.

But this has not happened and Lehmann is concerned that a lack of first-team action could cost him any chance of playing at Euro 2008.

"To be sitting on the bench behind somebody who only started to play when he was 30 is not funny," he added. "I am very angry."

He also laid into Wenger over his handling of the situation.

"If the coach had spoken to me before the start of the season then I would have been able to decide if I wanted to sit on the bench," he stated.

"He has a different opinion and I don't really believe he can be happy with it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7340652.stm

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 8:37pm On Apr 10, 2008
[center]Flamini sidelined by ankle injury[/center]

Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini has been ruled out of action for three weeks with an ankle injury.

The 24-year-old limped off before half-time during the Champions League defeat to Liverpool on Tuesday.

Brazilian Gilberto will replace the Frenchman for Sunday's crucial Premier League showdown with leaders Manchester United at Old Trafford.

"It is a big blow but Gilberto has a lot of quality and experience," Wenger told the club's official website.

"Gilberto can come in and help the team recover and focus."

Arsenal are third in the table, six points behind Manchester United, and need to win on Sunday to stay in the title race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7341164.stm

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 7:04am On Apr 11, 2008
[center]Kaka: Cristiano Ronaldo The Best[/center]

Milan star Kaka believes Cristiano Ronaldo is the best in the world and he has tipped Manchester United to win the Champions League.

The Rossoneri playmaker won the Ballon d’Or and the World Player of the Year last season for his great year with Milan which saw him drag his side to Champions League glory.

Kaka however feels that the Portugal international needs to show more if he is to win the Ballon d’Or and he also believes that Manchester United will win the Champions League.

“Manchester United are playing the best football at the moment, but anything can happen, but for me they are favourites to win the Champions League,” Kaka told Sky Sport Italia.

“I am not surprised that all the English teams are doing well as they have become used to it in Europe.

“There could even be an all-English final and Chelsea could be the team to face off with United as the Blues are used to all the big games.

“It’s also true that Cristiano Ronaldo is the best football in the world at the moment.

“He is world class but to win the Ballon d’Or there are other factors to take into account, the Euros could provide further proof."

Kaka has also opened the San Siro door for both Lionel Messi and Fernando Torres by revealing his fondness for their ability.

“It’s a shame that Messi is injured but I really like him as well as Fernando Torres,” he revealed.

Kaka will no doubt be hoping his side can qualify for the next edition of the Champions League as they are currently a worrying four points off fourth place in the league with just six games left to play.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=654788

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 7:57am On Apr 11, 2008
[center] Friday's gossip column[/center]

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Aston Villa have issued a hands-off warning to Chelsea over England midfielder Gareth Barry. (Daily Mirror)
AC Milan and Fenerbahce have both held talks with Barcelona over the proposed sale of Ronaldinho after it emerged Man City were offered the Brazilian in January. (Daily Mail)

Chelsea have, not for the first time, lined up a £20m move for Valencia's Spanish striker David Villa. (The Sun)

Portsmouth are setting their sights on a £10m bid for Liverpool striker Peter Crouch. (Daily Star)

Obafemi Martins has snubbed a £15m move to Arsenal because he wants to fire Newcastle into Europe. (The Sun)

Ipswich have moved to block Wigan's interest in midfielder Owen Garvan by offering the 20-year-old Irishman an improved contract. (Daily Star)

Blackburn are ready to snap up striker Jason Lampkin from Manchester United. (Daily Mirror)

Preston are set to raid neighbours Blackpool to sign Latvian centre-half Kaspars Gorkss in a £250,000 deal. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has lined up another striker from the Championship - Sheffield United's former England hitman James Beattie. (The Sun)

Arsenal want to sign 14-year-old Portsmouth hotshot Aaron Spear. (Daily Mirror)

Tottenham are eyeing up Real Madrid's 20-year-old Spanish midfielder Esteban Granero, currently on loan at Getafe. (Daily Mirror)

Spurs are interested in Chelsea midfielder Jack Cork, son of ex-Wimbledon striker Alan Cork. (Daily Mail)

Leeds defender Rui Marques, 30, has told the club to meet his wage demands or he'll quit for nothing in the summer - he is wanted by Sunderland. (Daily Mail)

OTHER GOSSIP

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has admitted he is "desperate" for Michael Owen to extend his contract at St James' Park. (The Times)

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has returned to training, less than a week after requiring 50 stitches in a facial wound after a training ground clash with Tal Ben Haim. (Daily Mail)

Portsmouth will wear their home kit and they have chosen the East dressing room for their FA Cup final clash with Cardiff. (The Sun)

Everton are heading for a row with Nigeria after defender Joseph Yobo was put on standby for their Olympic squad in August. (Daily Mail)

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck refused to confirm whether boss Avram Grant would be in charge of the club next season. (Various)

England boss Fabio Capello has revealed Theo Walcott's display in the Champions League on Tuesday for Arsenal against Liverpool was "incredible". (The Sun)

Indeed, so incredible that Walcott will now start England's next match against USA on 28 May at Wembley. (Daily Star)

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson admits his boss Thaksin Shinawatra wants a "big-name striker" to help fill their stadium. (The Sun)

Danny Cullip has been offered a permanent contract at Gillingham after impressing manager Mark Stimson. (Daily Star)

Wigan boss Steve Bruce wants to offer Paul Scharner a long-term contract - to stop him leaving for free at the end of next season. (Daily Mirror)

Gareth Southgate is considering ditching the role of club captain at Middlesbrough (Daily Mail)

Sheffield Wednesday have escaped a points deduction for having too many loan players in a match-day squad but were fined £2,000. (Daily Mail)

AND FINALLY

The Daily Star's chief football writer Danny Fullbrook believes Liverpool's Fernando Torres should be the footballer of the year, not Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo.
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by Emperoh(m): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2008
This thread should be dubbed COPY AND PASTE

We tell you say we no sabi link go BBC abi Dailymail?
Make una stop this ooh!!!
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by topeorekoy(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2008
this is what i read every day on bbc sport.
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 3:06pm On Apr 11, 2008
Emperoh:

This thread should be dubbed COPY AND PASTE

We tell you say we no sabi link go BBC abi Dailymail?
Make una stop this ooh!!!

Why you no come dey share them for here Big HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

topeorekoy:

this is what i read every day on bbc sport.

Congratulations. Always try to share news with others.
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 3:09pm On Apr 11, 2008
[center]Ronaldo tops PFA nominations list[/center]

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo leads the nominations for the Professional Footballers' Association players' player of the year.

The Portuguese international, 23, who has scored a phenomenal 37 goals this season, also won the award last term.

Arsenal pair Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor are also up for the prize, along with Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres.

The final nominee is Portsmouth's England goalkeeper David James.

Ronaldo, Fabregas and Torres are also in the running to be the PFA young player of the year - a title which Ronaldo also walked away with last season.

They are joined by Aston Villa duo Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young and Manchester City's England defender Micah Richards.

Ronaldo is being strongly tipped to be named Fifa world player of the year later on this year, after finishing behind AC Milan's Kaka and Barcelona's Lionel Messi last time around.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7342574.stm

Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by anusule(m): 4:14pm On Apr 11, 2008
maybe u should have done a summary in your own words, instead of copy and paste. grin
nice thread though, wink
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 4:22pm On Apr 11, 2008
the links are there for all. Why should i modify?
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by mavtrevor(m): 9:54am On Apr 15, 2008
Nigeria's hunt for a new manager led them to Molten Spartan South Midlands League Division One side Kentish Town and their manager Clement Temile. The former African Player of the Year did not get the job after admitting he was "not ready". (Times)

see thread http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by mavtrevor(m): 1:19pm On Apr 16, 2008
Valencia striker David Villa is poised to reject a move to Chelsea in favour of Arsenal. (The Sun)

Good news to all Arsenal fans,
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by mavtrevor(m): 1:22pm On Apr 16, 2008
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has vowed to spend in the summer, saying he is unafraid to pay big money for players he thinks are worth it. (Daily Star)

I guess Wenger has learnt the hard way!
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by mavtrevor(m): 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2008
Arsenal and Chelsea fear they could miss out on Villarreal defender Martin Caceres after Real Madrid opened talks with him. (Daily Mail)
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by mavtrevor(m): 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2008
The Gunners are also on the trail of Guimaraes' Algeria striker Kamel Ghilas. (Daily Mail)
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by A40(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2008
If him like make im no spend? I heard Villa wants to come.Ben Arfa as well Wenger its time you bring out those cheque books
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by pein(m): 7:25am On Apr 17, 2008
why do you ppl keep gawking urselves?!!!!wenger said he'll get experienced players,not spend 30 mil on one player so its still the shit he's been doin only this time he's not going for younger players.yes ben arfa and vila wnt 2 come but does wenger want them?ribery,torres,babel all wntd to go to arsenal yet we all knw what happened and where are they today?
open your eyes ppl ,wenger'll keep doin what he's been doin and nothing will change bout it!!!
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by lalaboi(m): 3:39pm On Apr 17, 2008
Arsene doesnt learn! he will not spend!
or do u guyz think he wil pay 25million for villa?
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by vikiviko(m): 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2008
Arsene Wenger will still go ahead buy 16 years olbd kids to play premiership next season.

Arsenal will miss out in the David Villa deal because Arsene talks toomuch and never buys in the open market.

He enjoys selling.
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2008
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is to reconsider whether William Gallas will continue as his skipper next season.

Gallas sat on the pitch after full-time when the Gunners let in a late penalty in a 2-2 draw at Birmingham and his style of captaincy has come under fire.

"I cannot answer that (captaincy) question at the moment. I want to analyse the season after the season."

Wenger has also given Mathieu Flamini until the end of April to decide on signing a new deal or leaving for free.

Midfielder Flamini's current contract expires at the end of the season and Wenger wants an answer so he can clarify the situation as he starts preparations for the next campaign.

The Arsenal boss has some key decisions to make, notably over his fellow Frenchman Gallas.

Gallas, 30, also kicked an advertising hoarding after Arsenal conceded the penalty at Birmingham in February and stood in the other half of the pitch as James McFadden scored from the spot.

The two dropped points reduced Arsenal's then lead at the Premier League summit to two points and many believed Gallas' actions undermined Arsenal's title challenge.

They have since won just two games out of 10 as they have capitulated in the league and been knocked out of the Champions League by Liverpool.

"At the moment he (Gallas) will be my captain until the end of the season," said Wenger.

"I believe he has learned a lot this year and I can only say that his commitment and desire to do well was exceptional.

"I made that decision and I have to stand up for that decision, I have to protect the team and the individuals as well at the moment.

"They get criticised and maybe we deserve critics at the moment but overall the team has made good progress this year."

We have set ourselves a target until the end of the month of April to finalise the (Flamini) situation, one way or the other

Arsene Wenger

The development of the combative Flamini, who has been linked with Juventus, has been one of Arsenal's consoling factors this season and Wenger want the uncertainty over the player's future resolved.

"We are getting close to yes or no," said Wenger. "He says he wants to stay and I believe him.

"But as long as he has not signed, for me he is free to sign where he wants.

"We have set ourselves a target until the end of the month of April to finalise the situation, one way or the other.

"That's an absolute deadline because afterwards we have to make decisions because if you have to move on the market you don't have much time left."

Wenger has stated how much he wants the keep his current crop of players but his determination not to break the wage structure at the Emirates could be a stumbling block to the Flamini deal.

"That's my first target, to keep the team together," he said. "We want to continue to respect our wages structure because I feel that is very important."
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by dipo2much(m): 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2008
@mukina2

U get mind o. Abi no be u disable response on my thread. Wetin enter your head?
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 9:53am On Apr 21, 2008
Juventus have offered Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini, whose contract expires at the end of the season, a five-year deal worth £3.5m a year. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney may have to have a painkilling injection to be fit for Wednesday's Champions League game against Barcelona. (Daily Telegraph)
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by bluehorizo(m): 11:07am On Apr 22, 2008
Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins is on the verge of signing the biggest boot deal for an African player. Adidas will pay him £1.7m for a three-year deal. (The Sun)
Re: Gossip Column/Transfer Rumours by Zedman(m): 9:59am On May 05, 2008
Manchester united bid for Jose Bosingwa for 15.8m pounds but Porto want 22m.

Rafa plans summer clear out of Peter Crouch, John Arne Riise, Jermaine Pennant and Xabi Alonso, interested suitors lining up for them such as portmouth for Crouch, Juve for Alonso.

Wenger makes 15m pound bid for Obafemi Martins, also bidding for Niko Krankjar to replace Hleb. Flamini in Milan putting finishing touches to his contract.

Madrid makes a 25m pound bid for Michael Essien and a 24m pound bid for david Villa(bad news for Tottenham)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Is Now A Father / The Top 10 Worst Ever Hairstyles In The English Premier League / Ex Super Eagles Defender Spotted Loading Buses At Enugu Park.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.