Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,719 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? (926 Views)

Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? / How To Handle Problems Over Relatives Staying In Your House ? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? by azzima(m): 3:09am On Apr 22, 2013
After many years abroad,I decided to move back to Nigeria 4 years ago.I listened to the call for Nigerians to come back home like many other families in the diaspora.3 weeks ago,we[myself,wife and teenage children] were traumatized by a gang of about 10 armed robbers in our estate which is supposed to be one of the most secured in Lagos[VGC].It was an experience that my family will never forget.When the police came to the house after the incident,the DPO was just making an issue of how he had to come all the way from iyana ipaja to VGC. They did not enter the house to even look at the crime scene to see if any evidence could have been left behind by the robbers .As an Ex NYPD police officer, this should have been standard police procedure anywhere in the world,very basic. I was asked to come to the station to make a statement.Now just imagine that after the trauma and loss of money and other things, I was being given the impression that I should SETTLE them when I got to the station. Is this what this country is about now?Brothers and Sisters in the diaspora should please get ready if you ever plan to relocate or it will be a shocker how things are being done here.few months ago,I went to police headquarters zone2 to file a petition on an unrelated issue.Can you imagine that I was asked to SETTLE before anything could be done?the sense of entitlement is alarmimg here in Nigeria. I go to the Airport and starting from the immigration to customs to NDLEA to ticketing agent,we have to settle everytime or they will just delay you.Kidnapping in Lagos is another story. My question is ,is it really worth it staying back here and exposing yourself and family to all these vices? Most of my siblings have moved back abroad after tasting how Naija is and I am considering moving back to relative PEACE. Forget the so-called Home is Home nonesense. Please I need everyone's candid unbiased opinion. Thank you guys
Re: Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? by NSNA: 3:30am On Apr 22, 2013
move your family to wherever you feel safest. Keep your house as a holiday home.
Re: Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? by Nobody: 4:19am On Apr 22, 2013
So sad you and your family went through such agonizing trauma, my cousin went through something similar just few months after arriving nigeria, although, the robbers where not after him, but his vehicle was about 3cars behind the bus that was robbed and this was in broad day light in the morning when he went to drop his daughter at school, the shock was really had on him, coupled with other inconveniences in nigeria like the issue of settlement in various strata of nigeria polity, he has relocated back abroad, honestly, l dont blame him, home cannot be home when you live in fear 24hrs in your fathers land, l will suggest you move your family back abroad, it is better you live in a sane society and fufill your God given destiny/potential than live where your life/family can be cut short so easily. Please plan/prepare well and move your family back. Thanx. this is just my 2cent advise.
NSNA: move your family to wherever you feel safest. Keep your house as a holiday home.
Re: Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? by MMotimo: 5:00am On Apr 22, 2013
Poster is M.I.A

1 Like

Re: Is Staying In Nigeria Really Worth It? by santafe(m): 8:33am On Apr 22, 2013
Take your family and get out. Home is anywhere your family is safe

(1) (Reply)

My Parent Hate My Husband Because Is A Handicap Man / 74-year-old Man Set To Marry Goat He Is In Love With / How To Guard Your Man Properly By Michelle Obama (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.