Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,969 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos (19906 Views)

#5000 promise to unemployed Graduate has no impact in Buhari Election Victory / N5000 To Unemployed: Murray-Bruce Sad Over APC's Rejection Of Motion / Drama At Senate Over Buhari's #5000 Promise To Unemployed Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by bethnals: 3:53am On Apr 22, 2013
Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos

Residents of Wole Madariola Street, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos have been asking questions about what pushed Chidike Oyeka, a graduate of Madonna University, Anambra, to stab himself repeatedly thereby taking his own life.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the Chidike on April 19, 2013, took a kitchen knife and stabbed himself repeatedly until his intestines were disembowelled.

Our correspondent, who visited his parents’ home where the incident occurred, learnt that the victim recently concluded his National Youth Service Corps programme.

A relative, who wished to remain anonymous, said the 25-year-old had been depressed for some time.

She said, “He did his NYSC in Delta State and only returned in February. Upon returning, he started to act strangely and we noticed that he was no longer sociable. Most times he would sit at a corner by himself and when we asked him what was wrong, he would say he was not happy.

“When the symptom became persistent, his parents took him to a hospital but nothing was discovered to be wrong with him, so we took him back home and continued to monitor him.”

Narrating what transpired on the day the victim died, the relative said it happened after everyone had gone to sleep.

She said he went into the kitchen, took a kitchen knife and stabbed himself three times.

She said, “I do not know the time it happened exactly but everyone had gone to bed while he stayed in the parlour. Around midnight, he was found lying in a pool of blood and the knife soaked in blood.

“His intestines were on the floor as well. From what we deduced, he stabbed himself three times without screaming because no one heard any noise. At daybreak, we went to Aguda Police Station to report the matter.”

A neighbour, who craved anonymity, said the deceased had once complained that one of the reasons why he was unhappy wasthat he was unemployed.

He said people advised him to be patient since he had only just completed his NYSC.

Our correspondent, who visited the parents’ home on Sunday, saw residents coming in droves to console the family particularly the victim’s mother.

Another resident, while consoling the deceased’s parents, said the family should have taken him to see a psychologist instead of a general medical practitioner when he complained of depression.

Mrs. Oyeka however said the circumstance surrounding her son’s death was metaphysical. She said she had left the matter to God but was pained that all her struggles to bring up her son were in vain.

“He was my first born and we did all to make him happy but sadly he took his own life. We counseled him on numerous occasions but this did not prevent him from committing suicide.

“I do not think someone can stab himself to death except he is under spell. I leave everything to God because He knows best.”

Meanwhile, it was learnt that the deceased would be buried on Thursday.

When contacted on the telephone, the acting spokesperson for the state police command, Damascus Ozoani, said the matter could not yet be classified as suicide until autopsy was concluded.

“Although the family claimed he killed himself, the police will have to do their own independent investigation to ascertain what really happened. We will wait for the outcome of the autopsy and this will determine our next line of action,” he said

RIP young one.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/graduate-stabs-self-to-death-in-lagos/
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by PrettyPrisca(f): 4:23am On Apr 22, 2013
R.I.P.......d guy is under a spell.I need an extra tissue pls......

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Nobody: 4:35am On Apr 22, 2013
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Gamji007: 5:00am On Apr 22, 2013
He finished NYSC in february, and then commit suicide in April because he's unemployed? In Nigeria??

Abeg, na village people follow the guy joor.

Poor boy! sad

5 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by anonimi: 5:18am On Apr 22, 2013
Gamji007: He finished NYSC in february, and then commit suicide in April because he's unemployed? In Nigeria??

Abeg, na village people follow the guy joor.

Poor boy! sad

What sort of primitive talk is this?
The guy was "depressed" according to the interviewed relative and said he was unhappy.
He should have been taken to a psychiatrist for proper evaluation and follow up, which could have avoided his suicide.
Africans and our lack of responsibility for our own actions.
We need to change our attitude to MENTAL health.

Attributing everything to spiritual causes does not help individual and societal growth.

15 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by slap1(m): 6:15am On Apr 22, 2013
He must have encountered something during his NYSC. Stabbing oneself to death because of depression is not what I will relate to an Igbo man, no way!

9 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 6:48am On Apr 22, 2013
aye mojuba ooooo.na remote control dem use control d guy.no b small thing ooo

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 22, 2013
onatisi: aye mojuba ooooo.na remote control dem use control d guy.no b small thing ooo
not every thing is aiye. we that never gets public or private job after 10 years of graduation never kill our selves, still we thank God of what we are today .
Why can't He start from the scratch.to build small bussiness? if his parents can avoid such a school,then he can be assisted or He Can further his education.
Rip to him sha.
onatisi:
my guy i dont mean to be callous or mean but i think u have a spiritual problem urself ,10 solid years without doing anything and u think that is normal?
even me that i was unemployed for just 1 year i left nigeria to this west african country to find a job to do,how can u feel comfortable in ur condition?
@ onatisi,
I HAVE TO EDIT THIS POST BECAUSE OF YOUR COMMENT BELOW . UNDERSTAND ENGLISH VERY WELL. NOT EVERY ONE WILL GET EMPLOYED IN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR. I AM SELF EMPLOYED AND I PREFERS IT LIKE THAT . I NEVER SAID I AM NOT WORKING AND I AM NOT SEARCHING FOR ONE EITHER .SO EVERY ONE CAN'T BE WAITING FOR PAYSLIP THAT CAN'T TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY EITHER, MOST OF THE TIME.
I HAVE BOTH OFFLINE AND ONLINE JOBS THAT GIVE ME COOL CASH MANY TIMES . SO IF YOU DON'T KNOW, AM SELF EMPLOYED THAT IS BEING PAID IN DOLLARS. I CAN'T EXPOSE EVERYTHING TO YOU.
AND I am not attacking you but,FOR YOUR INFORMATION ,I MARRIED BEFORE I CLOCKED 28 LONG TIME AGO (WITH 2 KIDS NOW) PROBABLY BEFORE YOU EVEN GAIN ADMISSION TO HIGHER SCHOOL..
SO YOU WILL ALSO SAY THIS SITE OWNER HAS A SPIRITUAL PROBLEM BECAUSE HE IS NOT IN PUBLIC OFFICE, SMH. SO YOU SEE MY SPIRITUAL PROBLEM LEVEL.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by saintneo(m): 7:07am On Apr 22, 2013
Two months after NYSC he committed suicide, that's very lame. It's high time we had Shrinks in every hospital. The economy of Nigeria will get worse and people - especially educated people will be committing suicide. Considering the investments in education, investment in private universities, not getting a job within six months of graduation will be terrible.

Nevertheless, this is beyond unemployment. He must have been involved in something that conflicts with his conscience and it ate deep inside his soul.

7 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Nobody: 7:18am On Apr 22, 2013
They should arrest his girl friend and question her. Maybe he had a heartbreak in his love life.some guys attaches so much importance to this free Toto life called boyfriend-girlfriend affair making it difficult for most of them to dust up and start afresh whenever breakdown occurs. No job in two months interval would never push a guy to take his life.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Henix(m): 7:24am On Apr 22, 2013
Quite a sad story! RIP
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 22, 2013
So sad.. But it beats my imagination that a young man who has a bright future as a graduate would allow the temporary situation around him force him to take a permanent action.

When people complain about being unemployed, the first thing i ask is what steps have you taken? How many companies have u applied for as just a free intern. Every graduate wants to end up in chevron even though they dont know how to use a photocopier. People should wake up abeg, the boardroom is way different from the classroom.

So sad that that guy wld rot in hell.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 22, 2013
4bobo:
not every thing is aiye. we that never gets public or private job after 10 years of graduation never kill our selves, still we thank God of what we are today .
Why can't He start from the scratch.to build small bussiness? if his parents can avoid such a school,then he can be assisted or He Can further his education.
Rip to him sha.

Hey Boss! U mean like 10 yrs? As in 10 yrs? My my my!!!
Gods gracious goodness; so what hv u been doing?
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 7:35am On Apr 22, 2013
this case is spiritual ,lets call a spade a spade.this is africa and not usa ,which kind yeye depression will make a young man stab himself thrice ,cut his intestines out and yet not shout for help.u think na small thing to kill una sef.he was remotely controlled
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 7:37am On Apr 22, 2013
4bobo:
Rip to him sha.
my guy i dont mean to be callous or mean but i think u have a spiritual problem urself ,10 solid years without doing anything and u think that is normal?
even me that i was unemployed for just 1 year i left nigeria to this west african country to find a job to do,how can u feel comfortable in ur condition?

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by ElCaballa(m): 7:43am On Apr 22, 2013
As an unemployed graduate since 2010,why am i still alive when others who passed out yesterday are killing themselves?

2 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Mustay(m): 8:03am On Apr 22, 2013
teeo: Every graduate wants to end up in chevron even though they dont know how to use a photocopier. People should wake up abeg, the boardroom is way different from the classroom.

Love this part!

Whatever the case is, we do need to evaluate the use of mental institutions in the country. There's this stigma like it's only for mad people. Inference could be linked to his unemployment issue but opening up and being counselled ccould have helped a lot!

Similarly, the Federal Government's policy of posting corps members to places not parallel to their career line is condemnable.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by holyvirgin: 8:08am On Apr 22, 2013
El Caballa: As an unemployed graduate since 2010,why am i still alive when others who passed out yesterday are killing themselves?
Just be patient a better job is coming your way. Killing yourself aint d best thing to do just hang in there.
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 8:09am On Apr 22, 2013
if i am not mistaken i have read up to at least 3 posts from 3 different ppl claiming to be unemployed ,one is 10 yrs unemployment ,another is 3 yrs .i will make my comments later as more ppl contribute to this post.i think this post can serve an eye opener to some ppl
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by baynix(m): 8:11am On Apr 22, 2013
4bobo:
Why can't He start from the scratch.to build small bussiness? if his parents can [size=40] avoid [/size] such a school,then he can be assisted or He Can further his education.
Rip to him sha.

You Really Need To Avoid Gbagaun O! tongue tongue
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by strangest(m): 8:13am On Apr 22, 2013
Well its really stupid if one will kill himself cos of no job after graduating... Instead of concentrating on gaining more skills... I 've been my own oga since graduating and it is better for one to be an entrepreneur than to be a under someone.. RIP though they should have taken him to church for deliverance.. Attached is the guys pic pulled from fb

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by PeeDaVinci: 8:14am On Apr 22, 2013
from what i can deduce from the story, this is not a suicide, somebody definitely killed him
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 8:20am On Apr 22, 2013
PeeDaVinci: from what i can deduce from the story, this is not a suicide, somebody definitely killed him
i don talk am b4 ,na aiye do am.
awon iya agba
aiye mojuba
that guy had a bright future but for reasons best known to the killers they killed him b4 he could achieve anything.maybe he would have been the one to elevate his family name
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by kokoA(m): 8:25am On Apr 22, 2013
The guy was suffering from serious depression which might be as a result of a heart break or something not mentioned in the article. A good phycologist would have saved his life, but his parents over-looked this option. We need to start taking our mental helth seriously in this country rather than attribute cases like this to some none existing "spiritual forces".
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 8:30am On Apr 22, 2013
kokoA: rather than attribute cases like this to some none existing "spiritual forces".
na grammar u dey blow,u just allow dem to deal with u for 5minutes ,u will want to eat every food in one minute.you dont know anything

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by funnyx(m): 8:31am On Apr 22, 2013
The guy was depressed and since there is no proper mental health care in Nigeria he committed suicide. The system failed him, its nothing to do with aye, witches or wizards.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by onatisi(m): 8:34am On Apr 22, 2013
funnyx: The guy was depressed and since there is no proper mental health care in Nigeria he committed suicide. The system failed him, its nothing to do with aye, witches or wizards.
i am sorry for u,pls can i ask u a question,what causes depression?
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by Afam4evaIsASlut: 8:34am On Apr 22, 2013
slap1: He must have encountered something during his NYSC. Stabbing oneself to death because of depression is not what I will relate to an Igbo man, no way!

Lmaoooooo........

Wow!!!
Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by batstan(m): 8:42am On Apr 22, 2013
the guy served in Delta where they cultivate weed/we-we/igbo/blaze/ marijuana......hmmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by funnyx(m): 8:49am On Apr 22, 2013
onatisi:
i am sorry for u,pls can i ask u a question,what causes depression?

Be sorry for yourself dude, use google it helps ignorant folks like you.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed-Graduate Stabs Self To Death In Lagos by eagleeye2: 8:51am On Apr 22, 2013
strangest:

please can you take his picture down. A little respect for the dead and his family. Thank you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#UKElection2015: Jonathan Congratulates David Cameroon / Nigeria's Ruling Party Pledges To 'keep America Safe' - UK Independent / Final List Of Candidates For Ekiti Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.