Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? (760 Views)

Traveling To Ghana Via Abc Transport / Food Item Not Allowed To Take When Traveling From Nigerian To Other Country / Experience With Immigration When Traveling With Our Nigeria Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by GeorgiaPeach84(f): 9:43am On Apr 23, 2013
Hey folks.

I'm an African-American traveling to Nigeria sometime this year and need to know the deal.
My life revolves around eating holistic and organic foods and I NEVER take pharmacy drugs.
I'm know the US media is forever presenting false information about the African continent
and I don't know if Malaria is something that is actually an issue to be concerned about.

If Malaria is a valid travel concern, are there any natural/holistic alternatives to taking Malaria pills?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by Caracta(f): 9:57am On Apr 23, 2013
Why take pills when you are not ill? You can prevent mosquito bites though. You'll be fine. Nigeria is not as bad as people paint it. Just get repellents, mosquito net, etc. Depends on the area you want to stay though.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by justwise(m): 10:32am On Apr 23, 2013
GeorgiaPeach84: Hey folks.

I'm an African-American traveling to Nigeria sometime this year and need to know the deal.
My life revolves around eating holistic and organic foods and I NEVER take pharmacy drugs.
I'm know the US media is forever presenting false information about the African continent
and I don't know if Malaria is something that is actually an issue to be concerned about.

If Malaria is a valid travel concern, are there any natural/holistic alternatives to taking Malaria pills?

You really need to see your doctor/GP and get some medication before traveling, not just malaria, change of environment will hit your system, water, food, weather etc. You take those medications prescribed by your doctor to help your body adopt to the new environment. Forget about what you read or heard in the media, this is real.

Enjoy your stay in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by Naijalastborn(m): 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2013
justwise:

You really need to see your doctor/GP and get some medication before traveling, not just malaria, change of environment will hit your system, water, food, weather etc. You take those medications prescribed by your doctor to help your body adopt to the new environment. Forget about what you read or heard in the media, this is real.

Enjoy your stay in Nigeria
WELL
GeorgiaPeach84: Hey folks.

Well, you gotta need those Pills and Other Prescription they have asked you to get before you come down here to Nigeria.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by chukxie(m): 6:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
It's recommended you take shots against malaria and other related diseases . Prevention is better than cure. Have a nice time in Nigeria !
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by Originalsly: 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
There are....when you arrive they will tell you more.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 24, 2013
The funny thing is, I've stayed in Nigeria all my life, and I've never had Malaria. Not even once.. But I guess it depends on where you're staying. Like Justwise said, see your doctor before coming... Have a nice time in Nigeria.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 1:23pm On Apr 24, 2013
Like justwise said you will need some booster shots before you leave. As for the malaria pills, you can get them in Nigeria if you get sick.
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by worry359(m): 9:25am On Apr 25, 2013
I would rather take medicine Bought from a pharmacy in America than risk anything bought or prescribed in Nigeria.
Even if it came from a hospital or Doctor, too much corruption and fake drugs.
But it's your death!
Re: Do I Really Need Malaria Drugs When Traveling To Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 25, 2013
worry 359: I would rather take medicine Bought from a pharmacy in America than risk anything bought or prescribed in Nigeria.
Even if it came from a hospital or Doctor, too much corruption and fake drugs.
But it's your death!
You're an id1ot.. [size=20pt]YOU'RE WHATS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To Nigeria-lagos The City Of Excellence / Help!! A Friend In Russia Needs A New Passport / “lagos, Nigeria Is Worst Place To Visit On Earth” – Yahoo Travel Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.