Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:03 PM

The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia (17083 Views)

Gov Okorocha Commissions Shoprite In Owerri (pix) / Governor Okorocha, The Economics Teacher (Photo) / Bomb Blast At Zoo Road,Near Shoprite In Kano!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by emindu: 11:09am On Apr 23, 2013
The recent foundation laying ceremony of the Abia Mall, at the old Garki area of Umuahia, has led to appreciable excitement among residents of the state; especially as Africa’s biggest retailer, ShopRite, is touted as one of the partners of the project.

The state government entered a strategic partnership with Pall Mall which involves a joint funding of the project to achieve its set objectives. In a recent interview, Governor Theodore Orji confirmed that the state government has paid its own part of the funding. “ShopRite is coming to Abia State,” he said. “We have completed everything, paid our own counterpart funding to them and it is left for them to come onboard.”
This development, according to analysts, is a major significant socio-economic gain for the hitherto under-developed state. In terms of direct and indirect employment, this project when completed stands to significantly depopulate the labour market in Abia State and convince hesitant investors to take the plunge.
Samuel Eke, a financial analyst, commends the state government for proactively engaging the retail giant and fast-tracking talks to get to this stage. “Last year, ShopRite announced that it would be investing N32 billion on property developments in Nigeria to overcome lack of infrastructure and capitalise on rising consumer spending,” he said. “Responsible state governments took note of this and began to put in place incentives to attract the retail giant.
For Abia, it is indeed a coup to have secured this partnership as apart from Enugu, the retail giant is not present in any other South-Eastern state in the country. I must commend Governor Theodore Orji for taking this step and ensuring that speed is of importance. If this tempo is sustained, we may see the mall commissioned soon. The benefits of this development to residents of Umuahia and indeed surrounding towns cannot be over-emphasised.”
ShopRite operates a policy of augmenting dependence on international suppliers by sourcing, promoting and procuring local products. In Abia, local industries thrive and have gained increased visibility in recent times. Some of the entrepreneurs are looking forward to possible partnerships with the retail giant.
Ndidi Achonu operates a small factory inside the Aba Leather Cluster zone where African-themed shoes and handbags are produced. “I relocated to Abia from China with my husband in 2009 to start this and I can sincerely say that there are no regrets,” she said. “Things were tough initially but I am gradually making an impact here and can now boast of seven employees. If ShopRite comes to this state, I will certainly explore ways of taking this business to the next level because I am confident that my products will make their shelves.”
A survey of 700 consumers conducted by Business Day Nigeria during October 2012 found that while price was still crucial to the Nigerian consumer, health considerations were becoming more important. 50% of respondents said that they read the labels of packaged food and beverage products before purchasing them. 39% said that they would like to see more nutritional information, including calorie counts, on restaurant menus.
In an era of more sophisticated Nigerian consumers, the development also comes as a relief to residents of Abia, a state notorious for counterfeiting of high-target brands. “For me, I consider this one of the state government’s recent economic initiatives that has really tricked down to the people,” said Ifeyinwa Obodo, a civil servant in the state. “To be able to go to a shop where you have the peace of mind that everything there is guaranteed and you have the luxury of options is a very welcome development. I urge the state government to hasten work on the site so that this can be opened soon. I thank Governor Theodore Orji for making this dream come true.”

http://theyoungnews..com/2013/04/the-economics-of-shoprite-in-abia.html

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Gudiza(m): 4:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
A survey of 700 consumers conducted by Business Day Nigeria during October 2012 found that while price was still crucial to the Nigerian consumer, health considerations were becoming more important. 50% of respondents said that they read the labels of packaged food and beverage products before purchasing them. 39% said that they would like to see more nutritional information, including calorie counts, on restaurant menus.

SEEN..

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Gistben: 4:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
seen too
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by devigblegble: 4:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
Gbeautiful
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by emmanwandud(m): 4:40pm On Apr 23, 2013
armed robbers on the go gettin ready .......got some places to hit

4 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by devigblegble: 4:40pm On Apr 23, 2013
Seen three

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by hrmkz: 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
emmanwandud: armed robbers on the go gettin ready .......got some places to hit

Nigeria security agents should tag you.
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by ebamma(m): 4:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
devigblegble: Seen three
Seener four
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by yuzedo: 4:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
Are you saying Aba people aren't entitled to a new place they can go and take pitures? angry angry

Drive for 3hrs from you village in your best aba cloth to snap picture and buy one loaf of bread for N120. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
They will close within a few months unless their good's is as cheap as ariaria goods. Abia people no follow for show off.

5 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by caringchi(f): 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2013
Mr. Patrikobi trying harder to promote T.A. Orji.
Besides why is ds post on front page, hope d governor has not also started paying NL, as he pays for footage on our televisions? If yes, watch out for more!
'lubbish'

4 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 23, 2013

Abia no be Lagos.. Nothing like arm robbery for Abia. Is been long that kind of nonsense happened.
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nnemco22: 4:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
good development atleast TA orji can boost a little
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by obi123: 4:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
devigblegble: Gbeautiful

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as in eh una no go kill person honestly
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
seen
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Lilimax(f): 4:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
Are you sure you are not one . Of all things to comment it is armed robbery that crossed your mind. Idi egwu o!

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nnemco22: 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2013
u are a suspect
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
Me ole waku
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Zonacom(m): 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
This is good news i hope. Gov obi also claims he is making plans to build one or two in anambra. How i wish the major owners of these malls are nigerians
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by ninja4life(m): 5:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
Can some1 explain in simple term to an ignoramus like me how dis will affect d people of abia positively and if it will affect d price of garri at aba if not dis is no news cos its not an ordinary man dat will be patronising their high prices goods
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by ninja4life(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2013
Can some1 explain in simple term to an ignoramus like me how dis will affect d people of abia positively and if it will affect d price of garri at aba if not dis is no news cos its not an ordinary man dat will be patronising their high prices goods.kov
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by naUgotire: 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2013
There's nothing good about a big super store chain anchoring in a city. Their presence means sure death to many mom and pop businesses that sell those products that people can easily get from the super store. Always try to see both pros and cons of a government action instead of emphasizing only on the pros all the time.

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Afam4eva(m): 5:07pm On Apr 23, 2013
I wonder why the governor hates Aba so much. This should be in Aba and not Umuahia.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
Misplaced priorities. When i remember that State Universal Basic Education offices were demolished for that project, i laugh.

So we get shoprite in exchange for relocating Umuahia main market into the bush.

##Ihe ne eme, Ebe le be nya**
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 23, 2013

Not in Abia state. You can only talk of places you have visited.
Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 23, 2013
yuzedo: Are you saying Aba people aren't entitled to a new place they can go and take pitures? angry angry

Drive for 3hrs from you village in your best aba cloth to snap picture and buy one loaf of bread for N120. grin grin grin

Iberibe is allowed.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by stolenstone: 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2013
thanks okpara ugo for that input! Them gree see am frm that perspective?? Allow the main market to be where it is, allocate the old timber market land to shoprite, let there be healthy competition, and not squashing life out of our local market by relocating them to a hinter, trust me! Come xmas pple will be gnashing their teeth cos there will be huge influx of money to the white man and our fellow country men will cry of poor patronage and poverty.

3 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Orikinla(m): 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
More shopping malls, more jobs for the jobless.
And that is that matters to Nigerians now.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Parnassuss(m): 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2013
gboss4sure: They will close within a few months unless their good's is as cheap as ariaria goods. Abia people no follow for show off.

Utter bull! The mall will make serious bank there

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
Good move -- Finally, a Place for the guys to get cash strapped

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 23, 2013
We should be careful with these over-zealous quest for foreign investments, 'cause we might end up being slaves in our own land. I see no reason why nigerians can't run malls of international standard, why nigerians can't handle big road projects and so on.

3 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Shoprite In Abia by stolenstone: 5:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
shoprite go sweet ooo, make e no be like say i get bad belle, shopping under a central AC cooling environment, no houseflies flying around, no stepping into puddles and yama-yama water, getting fresh produce, but my main worry is our local industry and our local market, Umuahia is a city thickly populated by middle class self employed traders and of course civil servants, why take away the life stream of the local economy(the market) to a faraway land only to bring in a white man's venture in place of it. There will be a huge polarity in the movement of funds and equities. Economic gurus in d house correct me if i'm wrong. then again u're using provision of jobs as an excuse, how many dem wan employ as clerks, receptionists, cashiers, shop attendants etc?? E reach the number of pple wey dem go displace frm the main market?? TA Orji if u wan build market for Uzoakoli pple build for them, no go build market wey dey very far away dey expect pple to drive several kilometres to get there and buy a packet of Klin Omo when there is a sweet conducive environment at shoprite. Make we face d reality, mama emeka and iya Basira and papa ejima wey dey for ishi gate market go suffer big time when shoprite starts fully. My 2 cents opinion

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nasarawa: Bodies Of 25 Policemen Found In Mass Grave / Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men / Buhari May Unveil Transition Committee Members This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.