Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway (8651 Views)

Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway / Mile 2-lagos Badagry Expressway Closed For Reconstruction / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
Lagos-badagry Expressway: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony

BY OLASUNKANMI AKONI

April 23, 2013 | 12:16 am

…Hold FG responsible, says Lagos

RESPITE seems not to be in sight for road users and residents along Lagos-Badagry Expressway, no thanks to the deplorable state of the road which has become a perpetual nightmare.

Motorists and concerned citizens have always stressed the need for immediate intervention on the road, without any hope in sight.
What is even more worrisome is the declaration by the state government which ruled out possibility of any palliative on the road since there is an unending rehabilitation and expansion project being undertaken in collaboration with World Bank. This involves a 10 lane carriageway that will incorporate Light Rail Transport, LRT, on the median and also the Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, system.

Despite the fact that the roadis an international route that links Nigeria with other West African countries starting with Benin Republic, it has been abandoned by concerned authorities.

Most deplorable is the section from the International Trade Fair Complex all the way to Volkswagen area, extending, to Iyana-Iba.

Several man-hours are wasted on the road, and more often, heavy duty vehicles break down, spilling their contents and aggravating traffic situation in the process.

In other cases, car owners and buses usually get stuck in the mud while trying to use the set-back of the road as escape route.
Miscreants also lurk around to ‘assist’ any unfortunate motorist whose vehicle got stuck or developed any mechanical fault, for astronomical fees. In the night, some of them transform into robbers, dispossessing motorists of valuables like cash and mobile phones at gun point.

Men of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, and Police Traffic wardens, apparently overwhelmed by enormity of the chaotic situation, find respite in near by kiosks or any available hideout to cool off.

Lagos State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure,Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, in his recent comment during the 2013 ministerial briefing on the activities of his ministry as well as marking the sixth year of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s administration, accused the Federal Government of owing the state government N51 billion spent over the years for the rehabilitation of federal roads.
When his attention was called to the plights of motorists and residents on Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Hamzat, emphatically, ruled out any form of assistance from the state government, saying, there was no budget for such in the fiscal allocation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/lagos-badagry-expressway-unending-reconstruction-unending-agony/

3 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 23, 2013
** 10-lane Lagos-Badagry road to be ready June – Fashola

January 8, 2013 | 10:04 pm

* Flags-off light rail

BY MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO

LAGOS — GOVERNOR Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Tuesday, said the first section of the 10-lane Lagos-Badagry Expressway will be completed this June.

This came as the governor flagged-off the track work of the blue light rail at Alaba Suru, Coker-Agunda Local Council Development Area, LCDA, of the state.
Fashola who spoke during an inspection of the projects across the state, noted that the level of work on the National Art Theatre and Alaba-Mile 2 rail stations were in advance stage.

According to him, “in order to finish the road, the contractor did not go on vacation during the festive period, all these are geared towards ensuring that the project is delivered on time for residents’ use.”

The governor explained that the first section of the road which begun from National Theatre, Orile-Iganmu to Mile 2 Bus Stop Amuwo-Odofin Local Government, would be fully completed with the tracks laid.

He said “While the construction work continues on the rail project from Orile-Iganmu to Marina, the expansion work on the road from Mile 2 to Okokomaiko will also be intensified. This is what we do with the loan collected by the state government.

We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure; all we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would benefit the residents.”

Fashola declared that “when the project is completed, the state would be at par with other major cities of the world.”

The governor added the type of transport system he desired for the state was that in few years, his “dream transportation system wouldhave begun to manifest in the state.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/10-lane-lagos-badagry-road-to-be-ready-june-fashola/
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 4:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
Even with the assistance of World bank, they cant fulfil their side of the bargain to get the road completed.

What is Fashola and Tinubu doing with N30/40billion monthly revenue?

4 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 4:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
'Eko oni ba je' crew how far na?

What is Fashola doing with N30/N40billion monthly revenue? Talk is cheap

8 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: 'Eko oni ba je' crew how far na?

shut up abeg! I live in that axis and i can say there is tremendous improvement on that road. From Maza Maza/First gate to Abule Ado is swampy which makes the sand filling taking much of the time. I went to festac town on Saturday via Agboju and i was happy to see the marvellous job CCECC is doing. For now, i think it's the Chinese construction company handling the project. Julius Berger i don't know what happened to them.

Sickcere 9gerian,you know nothing about that road so don't you dare argue about what you don't know.

5 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: shut up abeg! I live in that axis and i can say there is tremendous improvement on that road. From Maza Maza/First gate to Abule Ado is swampy which makes the sand filling taking much of the time. I went to festac town on Saturday via Agboju and i was happy to see the marvellous job CCECC is doing. For now, i think it's the Chinese construction company handling the project. Julius Berger i don't know what happened to them.

Sickcere 9gerian,you know nothing about that road so don't you dare argue about what you don't know.
The DATE and TIME of the Vanguard report is clear. Vanguard must have toured the road before publishing the report TODAY. Its not about me, this is a Vanguard report written TODAY. Except you'll know prove to us that Vanguard is telling lies.

2 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The DATE and TIME of the Vanguard report is clear. Vanguard must have toured the road before publishing the report TODAY. Its not about me, this is a Vanguard report written TODAY. Except you'll know prove to us that Vanguard is telling lies.
and am telling you as a resident of that area, construction of that road is at top gear. Stop meddling lies just to score cheap points. Am surprised that Vanguard didn't support their stewpid write up with pictures. smh

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 23, 2013
Pictures of bad portions of Lagos-Badagry road courtesy Vanguard

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
That particular place is volks bus stop. infact i passed there today. So the Vanguard newspaper couldn't post pictures of the other part of the roads under construction from mile 2 to Agboju? Too bad! besides, that particular place is not that bad. because of the heavy traffic on that road, some drivers take the untarred side of the road to beat traffic and they get stuck in the mud. there is a U turn on that Volks junction used mainly by heavy trailers going to Alaba international.that is the main cause of the traffic congestion and not the road. Get your facts right!

3 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Sibrah: 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
You call Badagry Expressway expansion endless then East-West must be eternal project.
don't forget 50km+ times 4 lanes is well within the scope of East-West road in terms of size before you unknowingly blow you own trumpet.

7 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: That particular place is volks bus stop. infact i passed there today. So the Vanguard newspaper couldn't post pictures of the other part of the roads under construction from mile 2 to Agboju? Too bad!
If you look at the title again you'll see "unending construction". Why? Despite N30/40billion every month?

2 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
If you look at the title again you'll see "unending construction". Why? Despite N30/40billion every month?
keep complaining! I have told you several times you need to go on ground and see things for yourself before you come online to spew trash. Staying by your computer and believing every trash you read online just to score cheap political points won't help you. stop being deluded my friend. get a life!

3 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by peekayo: 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

So all of the allocation should be spent on the road abi?

2 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: keep complaining! I have told you several times you need to go on ground and see things for yourself before you come online to spew trash. Staying by your computer and believing every trash you read online just to score cheap political points won't help you. stop being deluded my friend. get a life!
Look in the mirror and you'll see those exact words fits you perfectly.

Meanwhile, why do you ask questions of other politicians but when questions are asked of the politicians you love, you suddenly become agitated? Since you reside in that area, I thought you should be calling on the govt to expedite action on the road? Why are you shielding the Lagos state govt from scrutiny? Why shouldn't the same scrutiny applied to the federal govt also apply to the states?

Meanwhile, there's no point attacking me. If you must defend your first love at all cost, direct your attacks at Vanguard. I dont work with Vanguard

5 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by StPete: 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: shut up abeg! I live in that axis and i can say there is tremendous improvement on that road. From Maza Maza/First gate to Abule Ado is swampy which makes the sand filling taking much of the time. I went to festac town on Saturday via Agboju and i was happy to see the marvellous job CCECC is doing. For now, i think it's the Chinese construction company handling the project. Julius Berger i don't know what happened to them.

What the writer wrote isn't any far from the truth. That road i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ deplorable aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ the amount of useful man hours aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wasted daily commuting thru that route. I think Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ should get your own facts ♈ig♓t cos I go through that entire axis to ♍♈ house at Agbara. The level of construction i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ fair but I believe more Çα̲̅ŋ ßέ done

2 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Look in the mirror and you'll see those exact words fits you perfectly.

Meanwhile, why do you ask questions of other politicians but when questions are asked of the politicians you love, you suddenly become agitated? Since you reside in that area, I thought you should be calling on the govt to expedite action on the road? Why are you shielding the Lagos state govt from scrutiny? Why shouldn't the same scrutiny applied to the federal govt also apply to the states?

Meanwhile, there's no point attacking me. If you must defend your first love at all cost, direct your attacks at Vanguard. I dont work with Vanguard
bomb dey your head i swear! I could remember sometime ago on this section when a poster called watchinglagos created a thread about this particular road. I also complained bitterly about the road. within some days, some emergency work was done on that same volks axis on the road at the right side going to mile 2.now i have seen by myself that the road construction is not at a slow pace.

this is the last time i will reply you on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 23, 2013
St_Pete:

What the writer wrote isn't any far from the truth. That road i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ deplorable aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ the amount of useful man hours aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wasted daily commuting thru that route. I think Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ should get your own facts ♈ig♓t cos I go through that entire axis to ♍♈ house at Agbara. The level of construction i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ fair but I believe more Çα̲̅ŋ ßέ done
the only place you encounter traffic is volks and i have said my reasons for the heavy traffic on that axis. do you wanna also tell me from mile 2 to Abule Ado has not improved?
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by otokx(m): 6:44pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sibrah: You call Badagry Expressway expansion endless then East-West must be eternal project.
don't forget 50km+ times 4 lanes is well within the scope of East-West road in terms of size before you unknowingly blow you own trumpet.

The east west road is now a prayer & fasting point; despite the billions of dollars sunk in, it is not more than 13% complete.

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by gunuvi(m): 7:44pm On Apr 23, 2013

You are very strange! How can you defend such eyesore. Don't let me rain curse on you cos you don't know what we Badagry folks go through daily on that road. For your information, I spent 6 hours yesterday on that useless road between Okoko and Alakija. If I had boarded a public tp I would have rather walked. Pls stop politicizing everything.

5 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by gunuvi(m): 7:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: the only place you encounter traffic is volks and i have said my reasons for the heavy traffic on that axis. do you wanna also tell me from mile 2 to Abule Ado has not improved?
Shut up joor, did they say Mile2 -Abule Ado?, the news is about Lagos-Badagry. Pls kindly keep quiet if you don't have facts.

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 23, 2013
gunuvi:
Shut up joor, did they say Mile2 -Abule Ado?, the news is about Lagos-Badagry. Pls kindly keep quiet if you don't have facts.
olodo! So Mile 2 to Abule ado is not part of the Lagos -Badagry expressway? bomb sef dey your coconut head. I simply said the road construction is in progress and you don't expect it to be finished in one month. next time if you experience the traffic, carry your car on your head. ajagirigwe!

4 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by emiye(m): 11:17pm On Apr 23, 2013
That is a federal road, the FG should be the one fixing that road, but as usual,the FG is missing in action.
At the moment, the FG has also failed to pay the LASG 51 billion naira, it currently owes her.

At least we see what lagos state does with the 30bn montly revenue, construction works all over , debt servicing e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Reptyle(m): 11:32pm On Apr 23, 2013
I reside in Satellite town and use the said road to and from work on the Island everyday. The work on that road is moving on at an impressive rate. Work has gotten up to Agboju but is been slowed down by the very swampy terrain of that area. There is however, no day I go to work and return without noticing progress on the road. The engineers are fully on site so I do not know why the OP is dramatizing. As usual with road construction projects anywhere in the world, there will be traffic glitches here and there owing to diversions and feeder road blockages...nothing new there.

The hold-up coming from the Badagry/Agbara axis on the road is usually from volks bus stop to Agric bus stop. It never gets to Abule - Ado not to talk of Alakija. The expansion project has not gotten to those locations yet. Essentially, it is originally a federal government road so why don't you encourage FERMA to go fix the bad portions for now pending when the expansion work will get there?

BTW, OP we are still suffering a near zero supply of power in Satellite town...can you help us?

9 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Reptyle(m): 11:58pm On Apr 23, 2013
Motorists and concerned citizens have always stressed the need for immediate intervention on the road, without any hope in sight.
What is even more worrisome is the declaration by the state government which ruled out possibility of any palliative on the road since there is an unending rehabilitation and expansion project being undertaken in collaboration with World Bank. This involves a 10 lane carriageway that will incorporate Light Rail Transport, LRT, on the median and also the Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, system.

Lagos State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure,Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, in his recent comment during the 2013 ministerial briefing on the activities of his ministry as well as marking the sixth year of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s administration, accused the Federal Government of owing the state government N51 billion spent over the years for the rehabilitation of federal roads.
When his attention was called to the plights of motorists and residents on Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Hamzat, emphatically, ruled out any form of assistance from the state government, saying, there was no budget for such in the fiscal allocation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/lagos-badagry-expressway-unending-reconstruction-unending-agony/[/quote]

Seems to me like the writer is actually indicting the federal government for failing to patch the roads especially in areas on the road not yet reached by the expansion project. The commissioner only turned down an appeal to help the FG fix the road (as usual) because the FG has refused to reimburse the State for similar interventions in the past. Are you sure you read this post before posting or did you just read the headline and decided it would be a good one to ridicule the LASG with?

3 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by phantom(m): 8:09am On Apr 24, 2013
otokx:

The east west road is now a prayer & fasting point; despite the billions of dollars sunk in, it is not more than 13% complete.
please where does the east west road start and where does it end? What sections have been done? If your ijaw okrika brothers didnt go on a rampage killing julius berger workers, where would we be today on the Ph section.you stay within the confines of uniport typing rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by Scarpon(m): 9:10am On Apr 24, 2013
this project has been on for like 3years and no improvement awa government bad o

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by dridowu: 9:19am On Apr 24, 2013
@op, what is d diff btw benin-ore road, lagos-badagry road.
Most of your post are biased , if truly u are sincere 9jarian, dn u most not sentimental in ur judgement.
Pls open anoda NL account and let ur username reflect ur loyalty to PDP rather dan call ursef sincere 9jarian
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by JahMan1: 9:21am On Apr 24, 2013
berem: That particular place is volks bus stop. infact i passed there today. So the Vanguard newspaper couldn't post pictures of the other part of the roads under construction from mile 2 to Agboju? Too bad! besides, that particular place is not that bad. because of the heavy traffic on that road, some drivers take the untarred side of the road to beat traffic and they get stuck in the mud. there is a U turn on that Volks junction used mainly by heavy trailers going to Alaba international.that is the main cause of the traffic congestion and not the road. Get your facts right!
You live in that part of Lagos?
No wonder you are this aggressive and rude.
I can see that most NLers are yet to learn how to manage their individual conditions and so release their resentments on the net.
Self control may also be attained by yielding to Christ and not by age and maturity alone.

1 Like

Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by kponkedenge(m): 9:23am On Apr 24, 2013
Am geting ready 2 comment
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by redcliff: 9:26am On Apr 24, 2013
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by dridowu: 9:27am On Apr 24, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: 'Eko oni ba je' crew how far na?

. Talk is cheap as u said , but pls my man think next time b4 posting. B4 Yaradua/Goodluck came into power dy promise us state of emmergency in power sector, but u&i knows d result, no matter d party ACN/PDP/CPC/LP/APGA etc, dy will promise us heaven and earth, but dy have noting to offer us, dy are bunch of criminals.
A "REAL" SINCERE NIGERIAN DOES NOT HAVE PARTY AFFLIATION, SO I GUESS WITH ALL YOUR POST ON NAIRALAND YOU ARE "INSINCERE NIGERIAN"
Re: Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway by MarieSucre(f): 9:34am On Apr 24, 2013
*just passing by*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 8th Senate Launches Chatbot Service To Showcase Tenure Activities / Lawmakers To Vote On VAT, Power Devolution, Others / Atiku Meets Nigerian Guild Of Editors And Other Media Organisations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.