Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? (17902 Views)

Adorable Photos Of A Nigerian Father Blow Drying His Daughter’s Hair / Proud Father! Vincent Enyeama Groom’s His Beautiful Daughter’s Hair (photo) / A Father Cradling A Baby And Styling His Daughter's Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by DIYTechnologies: 6:09am On Apr 24, 2013
My daughter is a year and 3 months. Her hair at the back area of her head is not growing like the one in the front area, which is growing well. Infact the hair at the back of her head is almost non-existent, in spite of all the thing my wife and I are doing to make it grow. Some people have suggested we cut it and allow it to grow out proportionally.

Shoul I go ahead and cut her hair? Will it all grow out proportionally as they said it would? OR are there things we can still do or use to make it grow without cutting it?

Thank You
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by bigtt76(f): 6:43am On Apr 24, 2013
If you have never cut her hair since birth, then please do. It will help.
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by dominique(f): 1:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
I'll also advise you to cut off all the hair to have uniform growth. Apply a generous amount of sheabutteer and coconut oil on the scalp, that should enhance ome growth. Pls don't experiment with any chemical based product to stimulate the growth not even hair cream. The scalp is still tender at that age.

3 Likes

Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by feminineA: 3:52pm On Apr 24, 2013
Please don't bother yourself. Its normal with babies boy or girl. Reason is because they mostly sleep with their backs flats so the hair doesn't grow. That's why its recommemded you teach your baby how to sleep with the chest. At times till 3years the hair might remain that way but with time and change in sleeping posture the hair will grow well. You need to see my baby's hair lol

3 Likes

Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 24, 2013
Many kids don't get much hair until they are 2 or 3, her hair will grow in due time.

Cutting her hair will only make it thicker, not any longer.
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by DIYTechnologies: 3:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
Her hair is so thick even as it is. Do you mean cutting will make it thicker? That is scary! Maybe I should wait a littlle then... Am just confused
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by meetmal03(f): 6:55pm On Jun 06, 2015
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by veave(f): 7:58pm On Jun 06, 2015
Na wah for you oh metmal03. Na ontop baby hair dey wan rub all that thing?

Op una no get wahala. For that I thank God on una behalf...
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by EfemenaXY: 10:32pm On Jun 06, 2015
DIYTechnologies:
My daughter is a year and 3 months. Her hair at the back area of her head is not growing like the one in the front area, which is growing well. Infact the hair at the back of her head is almost non-existent, in spite of all the thing my wife and I are doing to make it grow. Some people have suggested we cut it and allow it to grow out proportionally.

Shoul I go ahead and cut her hair? Will it all grow out proportionally as they said it would? OR are there things we can still do or use to make it grow without cutting it?

Thank You

If you're that worried, then dip your hands in your pocket and go see a qualified dermatologist to take a look at your baby's scalp - rather than cut corners by taking unsolicited advice from online strangers and their strange products you know nothing about that.

Surely your daughter's health is worth more than the few bucks you'll save by going cheap and taking advice from Nairaland of all places?

1 Like

Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by Onegai(f): 11:18pm On Jun 06, 2015
It's common in babies. But what you could do is minimise washing her hair a lot with Johnson's baby wash ( it's drying on black hair) and moisturise it more. After every bath, don't rub her scalp with your nails, use the pads of your fingers, blot the hair with a towel (don't rub it roughly). When it is still damp, put Coconut oil or Olive oil on it and leave it to dry. Use the oil to massage the bald spot and use a big wide-toothed comb only on her hair softly when it's damp (no dry combing). Below is a picture of the type of comb you should use on her hair.

Hair length and look is genetic. Don't braid her hair or put it in tight puffs with rubber band. Use Alice bands instead to decorate her hair.

I have natural hair and babies have natural hair, so it should be about the same type of hair care we do. And African hair is actually quite dry and needs moisture and gentleness more than anything else. So try this out and let us know if it works.

1 Like

Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 06, 2015
From my little experience, i won't say your child is suffering from alopecia areata { gradual loss of hair}, He/She is still a child and some children have difficulty growing long hair when they are little, but later in life, you'll be amazed with the hair transformation. Or mayb its hereditary from either you or your wife.

On the other hand, Protein is essential for healthy hair growth. Just make sure he/she eat the right amount. Hair is largely composed of keratin, a protein made up of amino acids. To grow new hair, your body must produce more amino acids, which it can only do from consuming protein, with other Vitamins.

But I'm 100% certain that your child's hair will grow. Just Chilax...
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by Onegai(f): 12:58am On Jun 07, 2015
2chainz:
From my little experience, i won't say your child is suffering from alopecia areata { gradual loss of hair}, He/She is still a child and some children have difficulty growing long hair when they are little, but later in life, you'll be amazed with the hair transformation. Or mayb its hereditary from either you or your wife.

On the other hand, Protein is essential for healthy hair growth. Just make sure he/she eat the right amount. Hair is largely composed of keratin, a protein made up of amino acids. To grow new hair, your body must produce more amino acids, which it can only do from consuming protein, with other Vitamins.

But I'm 100% certain that your child's hair will grow. Just Chilax...

It's best not to overdo the protein and vitamins. Your essential parts of your body will take what it needs first before sending it to other non-essential parts of your body. What this means is that the last place the excess protein will go to is your nails and hair (even if you up the amount you take normally) and for babies, please OP don't take nutrition advice from anyone on NL.

If you're worried, take her to the doctor (one of my brothers is a clinical dermatologist and he said if you don't see ANY skin issues on the scalp, then let things be) but first try and adjust your method of caring for her hair. Because I know most people tend to do the wrong techniques when caring for children's hair (too tight braiding with excess hair decorations and even attachment on baby hair that may be so soft it slides all these things off).
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by meetmal03(f): 9:45pm On Oct 14, 2015
Re: My Daughter's Hair Is Not Growing At The Back Of Her Head. What Can I Do? by meetmal03(f): 12:43pm On Jul 30, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Why I Don't Want A Girl Child - Ayeni Faith Damilola / 'Beating My Wife Is A Parable' - Pastor's Jackson's Wife Defends his Statement / 13 hypocrisies and Idiosyncrasies of Polygamy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.