Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook (21488 Views)

Ogun Pastor Prays Recharge Card Into His Church Members Phone / SA Pastor Who Makes His Congregation Eat Snakes, Beaten, His Church Burnt Down / 5 Reasons Why Should Always Pray In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by vedaxcool(m): 9:59am On Apr 24, 2013
A priest who has allowed Muslims to pray in his church has told how he has been hit by a barrage of abuse by internet 'trolls'.

St John's Episcopal Church became the first church in the UK to share their building with Muslims after Rev Isaac Poobalan saw members of a neighbouring mosque praying outside in the snow because of a lack of space.

Hundred of Muslims now pray in the Aberdeen Church's main hall and chapel every week, but the news has not been well received by some Christians, who have taken to the church's Facebook page to blast the decision.

One user said that the church were "sharing Christ's table with Satan" before others another predicted a "flood" of Muslims moving to Aberdeen to convert the church into a mosque and said Rev Poobalan needed to be given the "boot" before it was too late.

Another posted: "I would leave this so called "church". Allah is Satan, and no God

"They (the church) have nothing to say about persecuted Christians, but invite Satan in.

"We are dealing with evil people that bow down to Allah and lost their belief in Jesus a long time ago.

"Allah has no son."

But Rev Poobalan said he would not sever his relationship with the nearby Crown Street Mosque.

He said: "I keep seeing these Facebook comments coming up on my email account, but I will not back down.

"We have developed a relationship with the mosque and we will not be breaking that up.

"These people have reacted spontaneously, but over time I hope they will change their minds.

"There is a huge religious cultural gap between the two, and if it takes time for them to be brought together then that's the way it is.

"With our media culture these days one can easily make comments and respond to things instantaneously, you just have to live with it."

One user even criticised Rev Poobalan for being a Good Samaritan to just be "liked" and said there was nothing "courageous" in his actions.

Rev Poobalan insisted he was not interested in a popularity contest.

He said: "What governed my human response was the Christian teaching 'love your neighbour as yourself' and that was honestly my first thought, 'I have to help them as a neighbour'.

"Jesus Christ wasn't one who wanted to be liked and I don't expect people to like me or the Church for what we do.

"We don't go into this blindly, we go into this knowingly and we don't go around trying to please people.

"It was simply a gut feeling to let them in after seeing someone in the cold praying and I believe that prayer is never wrong.

"There is nothing wrong with making them comfortable."
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/21/scottish-church-abused-after-allowing-muslims-in_n_2922783.html

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Areaboy2(m): 10:12am On Apr 24, 2013
I know that church!!! its just off market street grin grin

LOL!! well, given the number of churches that are now nightclubs in Aberdeen (priory, slains castle*, Soul bar, etc...) I can imagine how this priest is trying to improvise to save his parish grin grin grin grin

I can see the priest trying to bridge the gap between both faiths and try to reduce prejudice towards Muslims. People can go on and on about how Muslims will not do this, ask yourselves what would Jesus do? allow those guys to pray out in the cold? or help anyway they can. You guys don't know how cold Aberdeen can get tongue

On a more serious note, It is quite sickening to see so much Islamophobia on those facebook messages. Aberdonians dont go to church (except old ppl), Only Africans here go to church. Saying that will lead me to conclude easily that 80% of the posts on that facebook are by Africans and other minor ethnicity. Stupid if you ask me cos they all cry of racism but when they put out stupid statements like these, they don't see it as something similar..

Religion has really brainwashed the common man. My heart bleeds for my continent cry cry

Yet i'm the atheist and I'm supposed to have no moral compass undecided. Delusion is not hereditary, it is taught

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 12:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Area_boy:
Religion has really brainwashed the common man. My heart bleeds for my continent cry cry
The thing tire me..

On Nl, Islam also gets its share of vitriol from our Jesus followers.. sometimes, atheists post comments on Christian topics and Allah gets abused..

The ignorance is sickening, but to live in the UK and still remain the same way... damn.. dat one pass delusion o...

5 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by tintingz(m): 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2013
Abeg MOD... plaster this thread for front page... smiley

2 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by saintvc(m): 4:24pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thats catholic for you,no discrimination
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by deSika(m): 6:30pm On Apr 24, 2013
one question for vedaxcool and others.

Can or will a muslims do this. allow christians hold a service in a mosque
(shirk things on ur mind)

question2: cann a church be allowed in saudi arabia

19 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by kaytytty: 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2013
god bless u pastor because even d prophet mohammed(s.a.w) used to allow christians use a mosque on sundays to worship.

8 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by vedaxcool(m): 8:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
kaytytty: god bless u pastor because even d prophet mohammed(s.a.w) used to allow christians use a mosque on sundays to worship.

Thank you chairman, no muslim insulted Muhammad pbuh when he offered christians a space to pray in medinah the second holiest mosque . . . The prophet was light years ahead unfortunately the questions/comments that christians should be asking/making are not quite hitting the point, namely is it proper to insult your religious leaders because you hate muslims? Is it theologically acceptable to offer muslims prayer space? Etc! Not the non starter desika is rambling if your points are important then address them someplace else but this thread speaks clearly of intolerance of your christian brothers, diverting the attention from the main issue at hand is very poor judgment indeed and shows subtle support for the mannerless behavior of your christian brethren!

10 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by ParisLove2(f): 9:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
They never fall to tell us how their prophet was giving out mosques during his time yet somehow no church is allowed to stand on Islam holiest ground.

vedaxcool: Wahabi king visits Vatican;

Pope Benedict XVI met on November 6 with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia: the first meeting ever between a Roman Pontiff and a Saudi monarch.

In a formal statement released after the meeting, the Vatican said that the Pope's 30-minute talk with King Abdullah, held in the library of the apostolic palace, had been conducted in "a cordial atmosphere," allowing the two "consider questions close to the heart of both sides."

Prior to the meeting, Vatican officials had quietly confirmed that the Pope would press the Saudi monarch to ease restrictions on religious freedom. The Saudi monarchy, which takes pride in its role as custodian of Islam's holiest shrines, at Mecca and Medina, forbids any public manifestation of other religions. The 1.2 million Christians living in the country (most of them foreign workers) are not allowed to build churches, hold public services, or wear religious jewelry and insignia.

The official Vatican account of the Pope's meeting with King Abdullah referred only obliquely to the question of religious freedom, saying that the two had discussed "inter-religious and inter-cultural dialogue aimed at peaceful and fruitful coexistence." The statement also mentioned the "positive and industrious presence of Christians" in Saudi Arabia.

King Abdullah stopped in Rome during a tour of European cities. At a dinner hosted by Italy's President Giorgio Napolitano on the eve of his visit with the Pope, the Saudi monarch had said that he was hoping to strengthen inter-religious dialogue. "If everyone followed the principles of their religions, and did what Allah ordered, the world would be freed of conflicts," he said.

The Saudi leader has taken a keen interest in the peace process in the Middle East, and the Pope's talk with Abdullah included a discussion of "the need to find a just solution to the conflicts affecting the region, especially that between Israelis and Palestinians," the Vatican reported.

Although no Saudi king had ever visited the Vatican before today's historic meeting, Abdullah himself had met with Pope John Paul II in 1999. At that time, although his formal rank was crown prince, Abdullah was the de facto head of the Saudi government, since his brother and predecessor, King Fahd, had been crippled by a stroke in 1995. Abdullah became king upon Fahd's death in 2005.

After his meeting with the Pope, King Abdullah spoke separately with the Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, and with the Secretary for Relations with States, Archbishop Dominique Mamberti.

Saudi Arabia is one of the few countries in the world that does not have formal diplomatic relations with the Holy See.

www.catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=54597

paris-love:
So has the mornarch agreed to ease the religious retriction imposed on Christians? Are they now allowed to build churches, hold public services, wear their religious insignias without any fear of persecution?

It'd really suck to know that the custodian of islam holiest shrine misunderstands the religious freedom they claim islam preaches. sad

4 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by bethnals: 3:50am On Apr 25, 2013
lmao ive prayed friday prayer in that church before oooo
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by mu2sa2: 10:16am On Apr 25, 2013
Muslims and christians there attend the same schools, eat at the same restaurants, live side by side in the same neighbourhood. That muslims are allowed to use a church for just a few minutes for their prayer should therefore be no news at all. But we live in a world full of bigotry and hypocrisy, so the hullabaloo is not unexpected: the same fellows that tag one religion a religion of violence would cause even more atrocities under one guise or another. Kudos to this priest for his steadfastness; he is a shining example of tolerance - let the self-righteous hypocrites learn from him.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Burger01(m): 10:16am On Apr 25, 2013
kaytytty: god bless u pastor because even d prophet mohammed(s.a.w) used to allow christians use a mosque on sundays to worship.
For real!!
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by tintingz(m): 10:18am On Apr 25, 2013
Burger01:
For real!!
yepp
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
Don't worry very soon fight will start. Nd 1 religion must leave. The man doesn't knw wat he is doing

1 Like

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by SlyIg(f): 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
Good that it isn't in Nigeria cos it would have been a very good target point.
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by gramci: 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
Do not be equally yoked with unbeliever, especially terrorist

6 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by mazaje(m): 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
While some christians are allowing musims to worship in their churches, some very powerful muslims imams are calling for the destruction of all churches in the arabic peninsula. . .

8 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Omen100(m): 10:19am On Apr 25, 2013
RELIGION, THE THREAT TO MANKIND. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by BlackPeni5: 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
[size=18pt]The day a nut rises up from that Muslim congregation,his head will be the first to be chopped off.
Mumu parading as a priest
Maybe na closet Muslim
Christians living in sharia lands can't even gather to pray freely and here is a so called Christian turning a house of worship into a den of thieves.
[/size]

5 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Lilimax(f): 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Are you serious How come this is not happenening in the Northern Nigeria where Christians are being massacred in churches by Islamic Boko Haram members

3 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Akpaife(m): 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Is it a Bad tin 4 a Muslim 2 pray in d church we all serve d same God u guys wat 2 start a religious crisis

1 Like

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by eriegua83: 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Right step in the right direction. Someone should pls tell those witnesses not to disturb fellow xtains, these are the people that needs the message to be converted. It should not be forced down their throat but with love nd patience they will gradually see the light just as the priest ve done.

1 Like

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Flygerian1(m): 10:20am On Apr 25, 2013
Whether u pray in the church or mosque, are we not serving the same God? undecided The fvck is wrong with those complaining? They should pls grow up!

3 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Lilimax(f): 10:22am On Apr 25, 2013
Akpa ife: Is it a Bad tin 4 a Muslim 2 pray in d church we all serve d same God u guys wat 2 start a religious crisis
Point of correction, we don't serve the same God. tongue

9 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 25, 2013
Very soon the people u offer shelter to will be the ones to bomb you and your church.

1 Like

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by pomporiking: 10:24am On Apr 25, 2013
Who caresreligion is meant to be a personal relationship btw God Allah or whoever they serve.all dis rubbish talk is a waste of time.
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by SlyIg(f): 10:24am On Apr 25, 2013
We're no longer in the days of your prophet mohammed. You guys have turned his religion into something else so change your comment.

6 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 25, 2013
[size=18pt]I hope we don't read his obituary soon in the hands of the same Muslims[/size]
That is how these stories normally end up

4 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by okpurukata(f): 10:30am On Apr 25, 2013
saintvc: Thats catholic for you,no discrimination

That is not catholic. At all.

5 Likes

Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 25, 2013
It can only happen in a more secular country.
Re: UK Priest Allows Muslims To Pray In His Church, Hit By Abuse On Facebook by DandeNumeruno(m): 10:31am On Apr 25, 2013
What a disgrace. That undercover Muslim that is masquerading as a Christian priest Should be relieved of his post Asap before he turns the church into a full scale mosque.

The Islam threat is real!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Redeemed Christian Church Of God (RCCG) Official Anthem mp3 / Pastor Jimmy Odukoya Raised Funds During Service To Help Some Of His Members(vid / Understanding Mathematics Is Demonic For Primary School Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.