Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,598 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability (21025 Views)

Mobile Number Portability In Nigeria: Advantages & Disadvantages / NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by awodman: 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Here are 15 things you need to understand how the
service can better work for you:

1. MNP allows subscribers to migrate from one mobile
service provider to another without changing their mobile
phone number. It empowers subscribers to terminate their relationship with their current network service provider if they are dissatisfied with the quality of services provided.

2. The service is provided by all GSM mobile operators in
Nigeria- MTN, GLOBACOM, ETISALAT, and AIRTEL- free of
charge. This, however, does not apply to Fixed Number
Portability, FNP, or any other form of number or service
portability.

3. All mobile phone users, no matter the type of your
subscription or plan – pre‐paid/pay-as-you-go, post‐paid/
contract, simple/single number or complex/multi number –can take advantage of the service. Individual numbers are ported separately as separate transactions using the same procedure as for a single number account except that the numbers may share the same porting request form.

4.Subscribers must visit the customer care office, retail
shop or outlet of their chosen new service provider to
request to port their number. Porting cannot be done via
telephone calls, text messages, online or other electronic
means. Deferred or delayed porting is not permitted. Only
real-time porting of numbers is allowed.

5.You must present valid identification documents-
passport, driver’s license or an official identity card that has your picture on it- as for proof of identity. A webcam is used to capture your image in the absence of proper
identification documents.

6.Your new network needs to check for credit worthiness to ensure that the request to port a number or numbers is not malicious.
7. To port your number, you would be asked to complete a Port Request Form. You would then be asked to send a text message with the word “PORT” to a short code “3232”.Porting is completed within 48 hours.

8. A new SIM card is issued every time you port your
number to a new service provider. Your old SIM card ceases to be useful once the porting process has been completed.

9. Subscribers to any network can port at any time and as many times as they like in a given year. However, porting to a third operator or back to your original operator is restricted within 90 days of a previous port. You would need to follow the same procedure each time you decide to port your number or return to your previous service provider.

10. Information on the progress of your porting request is
sent via SMS. You can change your mind at any time
before you receive confirmation SMS is sent. Cancellation of porting request or porting process is not acceptable once you receive confirmation.

11. Service from the old service network operator may be
lost within an hour of notification by SMS of completion of
porting request.

12. Your call charges may change to reflect the tariffs of
the new network operator.

13. Voicemail, SMS, MMS and ancillary services would need to be reset with the new service provider. Messages sent to you prior to porting may be lost.

14. Pre‐paid subscribers cannot take outstanding credits
while switching to the new service providers.

15. Post‐paid subscribers must settle outstanding bills to
their previous service provider, including any early
termination fees, before the porting process can
commence. A final bill for usage up to the time the number is ported would be sent to the new operator.
COURTSEY:PREMIUM TIMES

14 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by wawaboy1(m): 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2013
Abeg story to long. I will remain with mtn. They are not all that bad.

11 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Basic(m): 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
wawa_boy: Abeg story to long. I will remain with mtn. They are not all that bad.
Or better yet, I'll swap SIMs within 1 minute. I already have all four SIMs. So, porting can sit down for now.

15 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by andresia(m): 1:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
Make sense
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by awodman: 1:49pm On Apr 24, 2013
The process is too cumbersome..so I will have to waste precious time to get τ̅☺ a customer service center before I can port

5 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
This portin poo is not in d interest of d subscribers, what's d need of havin more than one sim and goin tru dis tidious process wen one intends to port out? A simple text msg shud be enuf and less than one hour port-completion period! 90 days is too much! Anytin naija do must get K-leg!

10 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by didisky(m): 2:27pm On Apr 24, 2013
This portability came too late.i have all the network sims so why would i want to port ?

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Okijajuju1(m): 2:28pm On Apr 24, 2013
One question:

Say I am an MTN suscriber with a 0803 111111111 Number, and I teleport to Etisalat, will my number now be 080 (9) 11111111 or will I still maintain the 080 (3) number only that it will be managed by Etisalat now?!

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by fankasibe: 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
From Glo to Etisalat activated
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Samelfisha(m): 2:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Ok
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Basic(m): 2:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Okija_juju: One question:

Say I am an MTN suscriber with a 0803 111111111 Number, and I teleport to Etisalat, will my number now be 080 (9) 11111111 or will I still maintain the 080 (3) number only that it will be managed by Etisalat now?!
Your number will be the same 08031111111, but you'll be using the etisalat network.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by theozobby(m): 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
Long thing joor nah to swap sim better pass

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by sammyyoung2(m): 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
we know..thks
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by devour129: 2:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
Jenams: This portin poo is not in d interest of d subscribers, what's d need of havin more than one sim and goin tru dis tidious process wen one intends to port out? A simple text msg shud be enuf and less than one hour port-completion period! 90 days is too much! Anytin naija do must get K-leg!
I totally agree with you ! I also want to ask how it will help improve services cos I trust our telecom ,there mind set will be if you like port from here to Australia and you will still get the same crappy service. I think they have made a lot of money already and believe that Nigerians prefer what we already have so they won't lose a customer or a sleep over who ports or not.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
where r the supporters of this rubbish. make una go line up for customer care. hhury up.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Yhemmy11(f): 2:34pm On Apr 24, 2013
port nikan ko, portharcourt ni

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Tunjman(m): 2:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
With Four SIM China phone, you're as good as porting...Abeg, no time to check time!

10 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by robinicule(m): 2:37pm On Apr 24, 2013
pls what do we need all this for grin

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Okijajuju1(m): 2:38pm On Apr 24, 2013
Basic:
Your number will be the same 08031111111, but you'll be using the etisalat network.

You too much!!

Thanks a lot..

No time to waste time.. I already have sims on all the networks, so na only my sim cards dey port from phone to phone.

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by yhemini: 2:39pm On Apr 24, 2013
niaja i hail thee!!! you are just insatiable!

the process is too cumbersome, i love the process, i hate the process...... ahn ahn which one na!! I know how most of y'all were jumping up and down and shouting on here when dis news about MNP just came out. it's not freaking compulsory to port!
and by the MOD thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by drberry(m): 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
This is good. To hell with all networks who think they can mess with my phones' emotions. At last "shakara don end"... Hehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Barthx(m): 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
Okija_juju: One question:

well i think your number would remain the same. Part of the goal of this telePORTING stuff is for one to be able to change service providers and still have your contact reach you on the same number.
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by RedLight1: 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
Opening an offshore account isn't even this cumbersome... Abeg screw mnp

i dnt think there is any network in nigeria that worth this kinda stress

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by slimyem: 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2013
I don port o...!!cheesycheesy
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by ckkris: 2:41pm On Apr 24, 2013
1. Please Sir, is porting compulsory?
2. How much dem go give me if I port?
3. Are they doing favours, or this one go still increase their already excessive profit?

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by slimyem: 2:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
That 90 days restriction is too much though.defeats the purpose of the portability.All these networks aint that reliable.
It should be reduced to 30 days.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by 1stola: 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2013
Even tin now, i still dont understand. undecided undecided undecided
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by teejayomoalaja: 2:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
Why Popular Etisalat Ambassador SAKA dumped Etisalat for MTN...Read Reason here http:///gJaTv
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by laCapri: 2:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
Jenams: This portin poo is not in d interest of d subscribers, what's d need of havin more than one sim and goin tru dis tidious process wen one intends to port out? A simple text msg shud be enuf and less than one hour port-completion period! 90 days is too much! Anytin naija do must get K-leg!

I'm not sure u understood what u read. Maybe u should go back & read it slowly b4 replying.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by lacasa: 2:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
90days intervals

Form collection and submission

Essentially switching network operators whilst maintaining your original number cheesy

**sticking to my 2 handsets or better still use a phone wt 2 sim capability***

smiley
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by Nobody: 2:44pm On Apr 24, 2013
Its interestin but d process is too long. I think NCC shud review it
Re: What You Need To Know About Mobile Number-Portability by slimyem: 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2013
1st ola: Even tin now, i still dont understand. undecided undecided undecided
na so you dull reach?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience In The Hands Of MTN Nigeria Whatsapp Care [see Pictures] / Airtel Is At It Again. Free Browsing / Easybuy Phone Of 50k Stolen After One Wk Purchase On Credit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.