Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. (2463 Views)

In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice / Autosbay, Bemshawn And Obdshawn - Are We Banning Them Or What? / Hidden Features You Didn't Know Your Car Had? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 24, 2013
I've decided to start this thread, due to post censorship, and posting privilege revocation.

I have started quite a few threads in the Car Talk section since it was introduced. Some of these are technical, informative, fun, while others have covered my own projects.

Now the issue here is the criteria that has to be met, in order not to have posts tagged by the Spambot, or lose poster privileges. Many may have noticed I have not really updated my project thread, or responded to queries on the Audi - Volkswagen Issues Resolution thread. Now, my lack of response and enthusiasm is not down to me choosing to ignore Nairalanders who need my assistance, it's more to do with having my posts hidden, and my posting privileges revoked.

A few days ago, I updated one of my Project threads, added images from my Photobucket account as I always do. Now, I'm not a fast typer, and so I take my time when it comes to adding content. I posted, refreshed and lo and behold, found I'd been banned. My post was also hidden. I used the "Report To Moderator" button to call the Moderator's attention to the thread, but nothing happened. I also sent a PM to the same effect. No response.

The post remains hidden, as shown below:

https://www.nairaland.com/850228/sachi-motorsport-audi-a4-quattro/6

I was consequently unbanned the next day (when the ban period expired). But nothing was done about my hidden post. This makes it difficult, hidden posts ruin the essence of any thread, worse when members post after the hidden post, if and when the hidden post is released, the thread makes little or no sense.

What I find really annoying is there are threads blatantly advertising all sorts - LED headlamps for motorcycles, electric pumps for tyres etc. Or even non-commercial Spam that doesn't fit anywhere, yet remains visible.

I appreciate Moderators have their work cut out keeping things straight, but that's what they signed up for. It would be good if Nairalanders had direct contact to Moderators, so in the event of things like hidden posts and loss of posting privileges, there is someone to relay the information to. The PM system on Nairaland is just about the worst I've come across on any forum.

I have emailed Seun in the past with regards hidden posts, and loss of posting privileges. He used to act on these emails, but not of late. Nothing gets done, and emails remain unacknowledged, which in my book is very poor. This is no different from bad Customer Service. Nairaland needs subscribers to maintain decent content, members are exactly that - subscribers. I may get a ban for posting this, and that's tough. No big deal.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered issues such as I've stated here. I have never posted Spam, or even advertised here, and it's my opinion members need to be treated with a bit more respect. Without subscribers, a forum will not exist.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
I think the mod should be explicit as regards the rules on the cartalk section. Once and for all.
Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by lungwun(m): 4:54pm On Apr 24, 2013
I was actually going to talk about this. I received an updated topic notification on your thread and lo and behold I saw that your post had been hidden.
I also come across many threads that have a whole section of 'this post has been hidden'
As a current member and power user of UK's AVFORUM the differences between that forum and this are quite glaring. But then so are many things when you compare the UK to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by gogodaye(m): 5:42pm On Apr 24, 2013
Again we a fast response (even if for pidgin english) to these issues highlighted from both Seun & Ikenna, please. I hope giving and making available the best in terms of long term service delivery to nairalanders is NOT being sacrificed for the short term allures of the present everflowing money from advertorials.
Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by Seun(m): 5:56pm On Apr 24, 2013
The AntispamBot is one thing and the rules of the section are completely different and unrelated things, so let's not mix them up.
Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by Ikenna351(m): 6:33pm On Apr 24, 2013
Why do we have to be doing this all over again? There is a complaint thread meant for issues like this. If everyone starts opening thread like this to lay complain, then the whole section will be a mess. I had to go extra mile to be permitted to sticky the Forum rules in this section for everyone to see and not claim ignorance. How many sections of Nairaland have the forum rules stickied? If i had removed this thread, everyone would call me "arrogant, bully, etc". Please, lets keep to these rules for paece sake.

Siena, am really not happy with the content of your post here and the intention of creating this thread. Am still trying to understand why you started this thread? To lay complain or to paint the section moderator, the Admin and the forum bad? How come you didnt state who or what banned you and hid your post? You made it look like the section moderator banned you and hid your post for no just cause. Was it not stated in your profile that it was Antispambot that banned you and hid your post? Since when did Ikenna351 become Antispambot? Please, lets be fair to each other. Now, because of the content or tone of your post, smartchoice had assumed that i did the unjust ban and asked that i clearify the section rule to everyone. How unfair!

My co-mods have been complaining to the Admin that the report button and PM dont work anymore or work once in a while and refused to notify that one have a report mail or PM. Some us could attest that sometimes, you would see a notitication in the forum that you have mail, but you wont receive any mail. The Admin, Seun, knows about this issue and is doing his best to rectify it. No one would set up a business and wont do his/her best to keep it running, profitable and growing. Am not his spokesman but am very aware that he is really tackling the report & PM issues.

Its possible that the Admin didnt get your PM, the same way i didnt receive yours. I read your post and quickly checked my action's folder and saw that you did sent me a PM on 21st April, at 9:43pm, but i didnt receive anymail. I could even see the content of the mail there, but how would i know i have a mail when i didnt receive any?

You talked about having direct contact with a moderator, but my personal email address and personal phone number are clearly stated in my signature. How many moderators have their personal contacts displayed for everyone to see? Has anyone sent me a mail or called me via the email address and phone number without my picking the call or replying the mail? You have my phone number and we do chat through it via Whatsapp. I recalled i saw a message from you via whatspp 2 days ago or so. But for somedays now, i have been busy with work and dealing with some personal issues that i have not chat with anyone via that application. The only message i got from you was "hi" twice. And by the time i checked my unread messages, it was late in the night to chat, thinking probably you wanted us to discuss personal stuffs. If you had stated this issue you had with spambot in that message, i would have treated the matter immediately by unbanning you and making the post in question seen again. At least, a forum member, a friend too, yesterday sent a message to me via the same whatspp. He asked a question. It was hours later, late at night, that i opened the application, read the message and replied him immediately, which i believed he would see and read the next morning. Please, Siena no one intentionally banned you and hid your post. And i didnt receive any PM or report mail from you. You can ask any other moderator you know about the spambot, PM and report button issues, if no one wants to believe me.

Please, lets not be opening thread for issues like this when we have a complaint and suggestions thread. Its clearly stated in the forum rules.

I will take care of the post in question as soon as i post this. And i apologise on behalf of the forum for the issues that you encountered.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Posts, Unnecessary Banning And No Moderator Contact. by Seun(m): 6:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
Ikenna351's comment about the complaint thread is on point. Thread locked so discussion can continue on complaint thread. Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/1036696/comments-complaints-suggestions

1 Like 1 Share

(1)

Between Toyota Corolla 2010 And Toyota Camry 2009 / Who Knows About This Car / Un Ending Delay With Classic Terminal Apapa Area Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.