Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? (2764 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / What Would Make You Change Your Religion? / Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 25, 2013
I was discussing with a muslim friend sometime ago and a woman came to us, wanting to preach the gospel and share tracts. To my utter suprise, the muslim friend rebuked her and told her, "if you were born into a muslim family, you won't be doing this" and after he said that he walked away.

This got me thinking... So pls NL's what's ur take on this?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by wazobiaforu(m): 10:13am On Apr 25, 2013
More than 90% practice family religion and they are blind to see anything good in others.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by mumumugu(m): 10:46am On Apr 25, 2013
It influences it
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Areaboy2(m): 10:55am On Apr 25, 2013
9 out of 10 times.

Reminds me of a Jesuit quote;

"Give me the boy until he is 7 and I will give you the man" undecided
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2013
Does the family you are born to determine your religion?

Yeah. I've never heard any baby come out screaming Jesus or Allahu Akbar.. Give em a few years and their mind shall be 'trained in the way that they should go'...
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Yooguyz: 11:10am On Apr 25, 2013
Area_boy: 9 out of 10 times.

logicboy03 where did you get your "9 out of 10 times" statistics from?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 25, 2013
Yooguyz:
logicboy03 where did you get your "9 out of 10 times" statistics from?
Jesuspoa, why do you keep accusing people of having multiple ids? Do you think everyone's as jobless as you?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by alfaman2: 11:25am On Apr 25, 2013
musKeeto: Does the family you are born to determine your religion?

Yeah. I've never heard any baby come out screaming Jesus or Allahu Akbar.. Give em a few years and their mind shall be 'trained in the way that they should go'...

But one did come out with a quran. grin grin grin
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 25, 2013
alfaman2:

Lol... I remember that... Only God knows what kind of fetish sex could lead to that.. grin

1 Like

Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 25, 2013
Area_boy: 9 out of 10 times.

Is there anything wrong with that quote?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 25, 2013
musKeeto: Does the family you are born to determine your religion?

Is there something wrong in training a child?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There's nothing wrong with training a child. Just don't kill their curiosity.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by mazaje(m): 11:50am On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There is everything wrong in training a child to believe or hold on to mythical entities that do not exist in reality. . .
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 25, 2013
musKeeto:
There's nothing wrong with training a child. Just don't kill their curiosity.

May be I am very slow in the head but I still do not catch the drift...

If a parent is into religion and brings the child up in that way but still allow the child the freedom of choice when he is able to make them, does this translate to 'killing the child's curiosity'?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

If a parent is into religion and brings the child up in that way but still allow the child the freedom of choice when he is able to make them, does this translate to 'killing the child's curiosity'?
No,it doesn't.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 25, 2013
mazaje:

There is everything wrong in training a child to believe or hold on to mythical entities that do not exist in reality. . .

This is very interesting...

When the child asks you how you know these 'entities' are mythical, do you now say:

"I am your father, I know what is best for you, I say those entities are mythical so you must accept it"

That sounds like doing what you accuse 'others' of doing.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Yooguyz: 12:05pm On Apr 25, 2013
alfaman2:

That was an exceptional case, but however i am of the opinion that the family you were born into cannot determine your religion.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

If it ismy religion to eat sheit and have seex with animals, i should raise my child in such ways until he is 18- according to your logic?

You make the assumption that ur abrahamic religion is based on sense......

Note that eatin sheit and bestiality are not illegal in some places
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

When the child asks you how you know these 'entities' are mythical, do you now say:

"I am your father, I know what is best for you, I say those entities are mythical so you must accept it"

Strawman. Lies. Fail.

If my son asks me to explain how i know that yahweh is mythical, i would give him two solid reasons

1) he has self refuting qualities such as omnipotence and omniscience which are illogical and contrafictory like a 7foot midget

2) there exists the same evidence for yahweh as the tooth fairy- none. Thousands of years and the only shred of evidence for them is from unreliable strorybooks
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 25, 2013
***trumpet blasts*** the leader of the bandwagon comes forth...

Logicboy03:

If it ismy religion to eat sheit and have seex with animals, i should raise my child in such ways until he is 18- according to your logic?

Where exactly is this logic you talk about? All I see are questions asked...

Logicboy03:
You make the assumption that ur abrahamic religion is based on sense......

What assumption are you talking about? Please kindly quote where I made such assumption.

Logicboy03:
Note that eatin sheit and bestiality are not illegal in some places

You are the one talking about shyte eating man, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

Strawman. Lies. Fail.

If my son asks me to explain how i know that yahweh is mythical, i would give him two solid reasons

1) he has self refuting qualities such as omnipotence and omniscience which are illogical and contrafictory like a 7foot midget

2) there exists the same evidence for yahweh as the tooth fairy- none. Thousands of years and the only shred of evidence for them is from unreliable strorybooks

[size=20pt]STRAWMAN!!![/size]
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Lilimax(f): 12:16pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

There is nothing wrong in training a Child. Bring them up in the way of the Lord and not brain washing them to go for a suicide mission when they grow up.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by mazaje(m): 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Since when did you turn into Iheidinobi?. . .Well, to believe there are "divine messages" to begin with is simply unproven wishful thinking. All religions are inventions of men that is why we have many religions all claiming divine invention, but history has shown them to all be the works of men and their various superstitions. . .

ALL religions have been proven to be human messages and human ideas that were inspired by human minds and written/printed by human hands, and therefore they do not have the qualification to be called "divine" or supernatural in any way, shape, or form. All religions are nothing but the ideas and cultures of humans. . .

The concept of "divinity" is a concept created and developed by human minds out of their imagination and remains a fictional production until proven otherwise. I will tell my child and provide him with evidence that all gods are man made. . .For example 3000 years ago there was no god called Jesus because that god idea had not yet been invented. . .2000 years ago the god called allah never existed because he had not yet been conceived yet. . .The most powerful god in ancient egypt 4000 years ago was Ra(The sun). . Now that god is dead because people no longer believe in it. .

In conclusion, to answer your question, I will tell my child that all gods are man made and do NOT exist in reality. . .They only exist in the minds of those that accept that hypothesis, as such no god can be shown to exist on its own independent of human, stories, human writing, human societal acceptance and what every human chose to say or attribute to their god because humans created all the gods they worship. . .Gods do not exist in reality, only the god idea is what exist. . .

1 Like

Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 25, 2013
Lilimax:
There is nothing wrong in training a Child. Bring them up in the way of the LOrd and not brin washing them to go for a suicide mission.

Let me get this straight...is teaching the child the act of going on 'suicide mission' part of what you mean by bringing up a child?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 25, 2013
mazaje:

Since when did you turn into Iheidinobi?. . .

The above is empty man! just empty!!

mazaje:
Well, to believe there are "divine messages" to begin with is simply unproven wishful thinking. All religions are inventions of men that is why we have many religions all claiming divine invention, but history has shown them to all be the works of men and their various superstitions. . .

ALL religions have been proven to be human messages and human ideas that were inspired by human minds and written/printed by human hands, and therefore they do not have the qualification to be called "divine" or supernatural in any way, shape, or form. All religions are nothing but the ideas and cultures of humans. . .

The concept of "divinity" is a concept created and developed by human minds out of their imagination and remains a fictional production until proven otherwise. I will tell show my child with evidence that all gods are man made. . .3000 years ago there was no god called Jesus because that god idea had not yet been invented. . .2000 years ago the god called allah never existed because he had not yet been conceived yet. . .

You just succeeded in telling us your view about the ish man and it does not constitute proof of the non-existence of God. I also have own opinion on the matter...

mazaje:
In conclusion, to answer your question, I will tell my child that all gods are man made and do NOT exist in reality. . .They only exist in the minds of those that accept that hypothesis, as such no god can be shown to exist on its own independent of human, stories, human writing, human societal acceptance and what every human chose to say or attribute to their god because humans created all the gods they worship. . .Gods do not exist in reality, only the god idea is what exist. . .

Okay, cool! Now you are permitted to indoctrinate your child with the above but some other parent is not permitted to share his/her faith with his/her child?

Seems like double standards to me man!
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Lilimax(f): 12:27pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Let me get this straight...is teaching the child the act of going on 'suicide mission' part of what you mean by bringing up a child?
more like it shocked shocked
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

[size=20pt]STRAWMAN!!![/size]

See this dubious cow. He asked a question and then claimed a strawman when given a valid answer he didnt like

Note the question n answer in bold in his comment:

striktlymi:

Then notice my reply:

Logicboy03:

Strawman. Lies. Fail.

Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

Okay, cool! Now you are permitted to indoctrinate your child with the above but some other parent is not permitted to share his/her faith with his/her child?

Only a religious mind can call teaching a child logic “indoctrination”
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
Lilimax: more like it shocked shocked

Sorry man but suicide bombing is not part of what I see as bringing a child up.
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by mazaje(m): 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi:

The above is empty man! just empty!!

Its not. . .

You just succeeded in telling us your view about the ish man and it does not constitute proof of the non-existence of God. I also have own opinion on the matter...

It is not my opinion but a statement of fact. . .All gods and religions are man made, you can not show that any god exist on its own independent of what men have written and stated about what ever form and concept of god they chose to invent. . Some invented many gods(polytheist) others one god(monotheist) all with different concepts how these god they created will guide and help them. . .Men created all the gods that is why we have different gods and different religions, some gods are alive because men chose to believe in them(jesus, allah, vishnu etc) others are dead because no one believes in them any more(zeus, ra, thor, sol etc).This is a statement of fact not an opinion. . .

Not indoctrinating any child with anything, just telling a child the truth and s statement of fact. . .Can ANY god be shown to exist on its own independent of human, stories, human writing, human societal acceptance and what every human chose to say or attribute to such a god or gods?. . .Can you show that any god exist on its own?. . .if yes point to such a god. . .The fact that you are here telling me about the existence of a god proves my point. . .
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 25, 2013
striktlymi: ***trumpet blasts*** the leader of the bandwagon comes forth...

Where exactly is this logic you talk about? All I see are questions asked...

What assumption are you talking about? Please kindly quote where I made such assumption.

You are the one talking about shyte eating man, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Ihedinobi has taugt you how to live in denial abi?
Re: Does The Family You Are Born Into Determine Your Religion? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

Only a religious mind can call teaching a child logic “indoctrination”

You call comments you cannot subject to the scientific process logic?

#I laugh in tongues!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Giving For God's Service / Churches That Abuse / The Atheists Were Right!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.