Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” (16590 Views)

Bayelsa Women Spread Wrapper For Dickson To Walk On (Photos) / Bayelsa Women Lay Their Wrappers On The Road For Gov. Dickson To Walk On (Pics) / ‘Blame Amaechi If APC Leaders’ Visit Turns Violent’ - Obuah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2013
“If you want to be leader of opposition, go to opposition”: Gov. Dickson takes on Gov. Amaechi

by Stanley Azuakola

Rivers governor, Rotimi Amaechi, and his Bayelsa counterpart, Seriake Dickson, do not have the most excellent relationship.

When the former governor of Bayelsa, Timipreye Sylva was involved in a running battle with the president, leading to his loss of the PDP ticket, Gov. Amaechi was one of those who strongly rooted for the ex-governor over the incumbent.

The relationship between Amaechi and Dickson two took a turn for the worse following the dispute in 2012 regarding the Soku oil wells, which is claimed by both Rivers and Bayelsa.

Naturally, Dickson belongs to the pro-Jonathan camp in the ongoing war being waged between the Rivers governor and Aso Rock.

Speaking to newsmen last weekend, Dickson cautioned Amaechi to focus on running his state, and leave the running of the nation to the president who was elected to do so.

Asked about the Amaechi-Jonathan brouhaha, Dickson said:

“You press people should not equate a provincial player with elected President of the Federal Republic. The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria cannot have misunderstanding with a provincial player as a governor of Rivers State or any other governor for that matter.

Dickson said: “As governors, we are elected to run our states, no more – no less. If you want the mandate to run Nigeria, you contest an election for it. Don’t do it through the back door. If you want to be a leader of opposition, you go to the opposition. What is happening is that people are taking advantage of our weak institutions and our fledgling democracy such that sometimes you don’t even know who belongs to where socially.

“So please, I’m not aware of any misunderstanding between the President of Nigeria and a provincial player like myself who is a governor of a state. You are demeaning the President and you shouldn’t do that in this country.”

He maintained the the forum of governors is not a forum for control of national politics, but a mechanism for peer review of governors.

“We, as governors are elected to manage our states. So the Governors’ Forum cannot be allowed to go on as a trade union. Of course, that is wrong!

“What has happened is that people are taking advantage of the development and discontent in our system to manipulate it to suit their individual whims and caprices. But what is wrong is wrong!

“Look at the United States Governors’ Forum where we even copied it from, you don’t see Governors’ Forum there coming to tell Obama what he should and what he should not do. We are provincial players, because our mandate is to lead our states, not to run the federation.

“Those who have a mandate to run the federation are the President, Vice President, the elected members of our National Assembly and the political leadership of the parties. Those are the people who have a platform. And if as a governor, I have any strong view on things that go on at the federal level, we have avenues; informal, formal – we have the National Economic Council. Over the years, I think what has happened, particularly in the PDP and it is very unfortunate that these focus on the Governors’ Forum is as a result of some developments in the PDP.

“It is unfortunate that it is rubbing off on the governors from the opposition parties. What has happened over the years is that governors of the PDP who became chairmen of the Governors’ Forum, all attempted to use it as a platform for playing national politics – a platform for occupying national political space. It is wrong! It shouldn’t be allowed! That’s why the idea of the PDP Governors’ Forum became necessary.

“But you see, because for now there is manipulation of facts and our institutions are not yet strong enough, including the media – you are doing a very good job but not yet strong enough. You see things being manipulated as if anybody is disturbing anybody, instead of saying no, this thing you guys are doing is wrong. People are saying as if “there is a crisis and somebody does not want somebody, no!

“The Governors’ Forum is simply a peer review mechanism; no more, no less! PDP governors have the right to have their own group because the right to association is a first law in a democracy! ACN governors and others, even councillors have associations.

“There is so much focus on what go on in the PDP; if you are in the PDP you will meet at the structure of the PDP to resolve problems, if you are not in the PDP you concentrate on your party and make strong efforts to defeat the PDP.”

Source

5 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by black9jaberry: 10:41am On Apr 25, 2013
Dickson i hope that you wont fall out with GEJ.........Remembering Timipreye Sylva and his supportive days (laughing in china)

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 25, 2013
^^^
Some Nairalanders have such impressive powers of recall, they could give an elephant a good run for its money grin

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Kabikala(m): 2:17pm On Apr 25, 2013
black9jaberry: Dickson i hope that you wont fall out with GEJ.........Remembering Timipreye Sylva and his supportive days (laughing in china)

Timipre Sylva got into trouble because he failed to support GEJ when he needed it most. During Yar'Adua's Saudi Arabia sojourn, he chose to align himself with those trying to stop Jona' from becoming president. He is paying the price now.

I think Dickson has learnt his lessons well and he is doing the smart thing to survive in this kind of times: support Jonathan.

3 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by seunfly: 2:54pm On Apr 25, 2013
black9jaberry: Dickson i hope that you wont fall out with GEJ.........Remembering Timipreye Sylva and his supportive days (laughing in china)
Kabikala:

Timipre Sylva got into trouble because he failed to support GEJ when he needed it most. During Yar'Adua's Saudi Arabia sojourn, he choose to align himself with those trying to stop Jona' from becoming president. He is paying the price now.

I think Dickson has learnt his lessons well and he is doing the smart thing to survive in this kind of times: support Jonathan.
But where are those who supported him during that trial? They have also become his enemies, now his best friends are strange faces who came when it was good and are giving him advice that is good to them.
I remenber then when Governors forum held him hostage it was Alao Akala publicly and Rotimi Amechi undground that stood by him against Bukola saraki led governors forum.
Where was Apabio, peter obi, Orubebe, chief Edwin clark, Tony Anenie, Bode goerge, Bamanga tukur and all his present day jolly ministers even militants were busy enjoying yaradua's amnesty? Now the coast is clear they dine with captain and advice him to trow his true friends overboard, who will help him out again if the the storm start like b4?
My advice to Oga jona is stop listening to those peaple around him that gives him all ds advices because he will see them no more when another storm start against his ship.

16 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by oshyno(m): 3:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
I bet this is d more reason most of this governors dont conduct local govt election in their various states and even wen they do, they hand pick them.The fear forming chairmen's forum. Bloody hypocrites . All of dem.

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Omen100(m): 3:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
seunfly:
But where are those who supported him during that trial? They have also become his enemies, now his best friends are strange faces who came when it was good and are giving him advice that is good to them.
I remenber then when Governors forum held him hostage it was Alao Akala publicly and Rotimi Amechi undground that stood by him against Bukola saraki led governors forum.
Where was Apabio, peter obi, Orubebe, chief Edwin clark, Tony Anenie, Bode goerge, Bamanga tukur and all his present day jolly ministers even militants were busy enjoying yaradua's amnesty? Now the coast is clear they dine with captain and advice him to trow his true friends overboard, who will help him out again if the the storm start like b4?
My advice to Oga jona is stop listening to those peaple around him that gives him all ds advices because he will see them no more when another storm start against his ship.

THANK YOU MY BROTHER, YOU DEY TALK SENSE BUT YOU FORGET TO INCLUDE PASTOR. TUNDE BAKARE THE PREPONDERANT OF PRESIDENT JONATHAN'S PRESIDENCY.

6 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 25, 2013
Dickson is perfectly right, Governors Forum is supposed to be a Peer Review Mechanism where Governors meet to exchange ideas on how to run their States, not where they meet to wrestle national powers and decide what should go into SWF etc. Amaechi needs to drop his thuggish attitude and focus on his primary mandate within and not without Rivers State. If he is against PDP, he should vacate PDP to opposition, where hierarchy is sacrificed on the alter of regionalism and nepotism.

18 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by seunfly: 3:49pm On Apr 25, 2013
Omen100:

THANK YOU MY BROTHER, YOU DEY TALK SENSE BUT YOU FORGET TO INCLUDE PASTOR. TUNDE BAKARE THE PREPONDERANT OF PRESIDENT JONATHAN'S PRESIDENCY.
I did not forget them, i just use those two as example.
How can i forget Pastor Tunde Bakare the no one anti kitchen cabals, the Lagos based democrasy activist groups, Dora Akunyili the only insider that could summon courage to chellenge other ministers and turai, saharareporter, , Wole Soyinka and during his pdp strugle Obj
all of them are now his enemies. The only one i can remember among them that is still with him is Ruben Abati and i believe they would have had serious clashes within themselves.

4 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Gbawe: 4:12pm On Apr 25, 2013
At the end of the day, Amaechi should remain strong. All the GEJ boys will attack him yet he is the sort Nigeria needs i.e resolute characters who are mentally strong, are not intimidated easily and can hold their own. We can all remember Turai, Ruma, Muhthar, Aondoakaa and Ibori carrying on as if Yar Adua's position meant they could do as they pleased to anything and anyone. Where are those characters today? Meanwhile opinionated men like Amaechi will always endure - especially in the era of politics Nigeria is evolutionarily heading towards.

Amaechi fought the vindictive malevolence of OBJ to be Governor whereas this Dickson character was virtually ushered into Bayelsa State house by the Presidency. Dickson can shoot his mouth now because the Presidency is behind him but we will see what the future brings for those who fought for and deserve where they are and those promoted above their Station like Yar Adua, GEJ, OBJ, Dickson et al. Has anyone ever wondered why OBJ cannot even thrive in SW Politics when things became about merit, innate ability, intellectual strategy/mobilisation and political winning nous? Is it not obvious OBJ and his kind are bullies who cannot swim in a river of merit?

We will see where a suck-ups and establishment tool like Dickson will be in a post-GEJ future and where independent-minded Amaechi can reach. where are the Yar Adua boys today? Amazing how Nigerians act as if there is no tomorrow.

39 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by SlyIg(f): 4:15pm On Apr 25, 2013
Its all politics!
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Okijajuju1(m): 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2013
Well said...

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by otokx(m): 4:27pm On Apr 25, 2013
SlyIg: Its all politics!

No permanent friends, no permanent enemies, only permanent interests, so lets just enjoy the show.

3 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Lilimax(f): 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2013
otokx:

No permanent friends, no permanent enemies, only permanent interests, so lets just enjoy the show.
Na so! All for there selfish interest undecided

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by safarigirl(f): 4:46pm On Apr 25, 2013
This coming from the President's houseboy? It's safe to say Seriake is still kissing assss.

Bayelsa with all it's oil is still one of the poorest states in Southern Nigeria.

Instead of him to focus on making Bayelsa one of the top earning states (like Rivers is) he is here fighting another man's war.

Mtchew. Shameless excuse for a leader

8 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by peruso: 4:50pm On Apr 25, 2013
Gbawe: At the end of the day, Amaechi should remain strong. All the GEJ boys will attack him yet he is the sort Nigeria needs i.e resolute characters who are mentally strong, are not intimidated easily and can hold their own. We can all remember Turai, Ruma, Muhthar, Aondoakaa and Ibori carrying on as if Yar Adua's position meant they could do as they pleased to anything and anyone. Where are those characters today? Meanwhile opinionated men like Amaechi will always endure - especially in the era of politics Nigeria is evolutionarily heading towards.

Amaechi fought the vindictive malevolence of OBJ to be Governor whereas this Dickson character was virtually ushered into Bayelsa State house by the Presidency. Dickson can shoot his mouth now because the Presidency is behind him but we will see what the future brings for those who fought for and deserve where they are and those promoted above their Station like Yar Adua, GEJ, OBJ, Dickson et al. Has anyone ever wondered why OBJ cannot even thrive in SW Politics when things became about merit, innate ability, intellectual strategy/mobilisation and political winning nous? Is it not obvious OBJ and his kind are bullies who cannot swim in a river of merit?

We will see where a suck-ups and establishment tool like Dickson will be in a post-GEJ future and where independent-minded Amaechi can reach. where are the Yar Adua boys today? Amazing how Nigerians act as if there is no tomorrow.

I wish I can see you and give you a kiss .... It been ages I heared such incisive truths.
Thank you well done

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by ProfOwah(m): 5:08pm On Apr 25, 2013
this dickson/amaechi cats n dogs play saf! why should this 2 brothers continue to fight against dem self n dare broda mr Gej? O' may God help us oooo
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 25, 2013
eGuerrilla: ^^^
Some Nairalanders have such impressive powers of recall, they could give an elephant a good run for its money grin
I never knew elephants use currency grin grin. Just messing with u bro
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Verbes: 5:13pm On Apr 25, 2013
[size=18pt]2015.[/size]
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Dee60: 5:14pm On Apr 25, 2013
All the opportunistic PDP people are busy fighting Amaechi but the real people remain with him. Carry on, Rotimi Amaechi, man of destiny. Their envy cannot stop you. Your performance is stellar and that is what Nigeria needs.

2 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Asemo11(m): 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2013
safarigirl: This coming from the President's houseboy? It's safe to say Seriake is still kissing assss.

Bayelsa with all it's oil is still one of the poorest states in Southern Nigeria.

Instead of him to focus on making Bayelsa one of the top earning states (like Rivers is) he is here fighting another man's war.

Mtchew. Shameless excuse for a leader
•̸№ mind that village man way get big leg way •̸№ day fit wear shoe notin him sabi

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Josegun(m): 5:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
Rotimi is of the larger heart. Praying that he overcome of these come & chop politician that lack understanding even to rule their palour.

2 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by ninja4life(m): 5:30pm On Apr 25, 2013
Politics is d survival of d fittest so no be today make dem carry go bunch of fools.
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 25, 2013
Fighting the powers that be can be deadly
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by bros856: 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2013
Dickson should please stop insulting Amechi. Dickson should remember he has never stand or won an election before. GEJ usher him into politics straight to National assembly and to governorship position by arrangement, same way GEJ was arranged by OBJ. Amechi stood election, lost it, went to court fought and won. Dickson is a baby compare to Amechi.

2 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Chillypelly(m): 6:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
Wonders shall never end. Imagine naive Police Coporal turn Governor ass licker cum Presidential house boy flex fragial balls with a strong voice like Amaechi. I hope his SA on rumour mongering is empowered to work in every state government house...

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Apr 25, 2013
[size=14pt]I think i have to write a book title "Politics for dummies"...

People like Seriake Diskson whose mouth run like a newly commisioned public tap in Gbaramatu kingdom are myopic and never look at the future. While in politics, there are no permanent friends but interests, one has to be very careful not to be too explicit in showing who they're for or against. I remember how Tmipre Silva worshipped Jonathan but where is he today? He should learn to employ wisdom when talking about things like this. No one knows tomorrow. Amaechi could be a vice president, or senate president tomorrow and he will regret his actions.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by brixton: 6:30pm On Apr 25, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=14pt]I think i have to write a book title "Politics for dummies"...

People like Seriake Diskson whose mouth run like a newly commisioned public tap in Gbaramatu kingdom are myopic and never look at the future. While in politics, there are no permanent friends but interests, one has to be very careful not to be too explicit in showing who they're for or against. I remember how Tmipre Silva worshipped Jonathan but where is he today? He should learn to employ wisdom when talking about things like this. No one knows tomorrow. Amaechi could be a vice president, or senate president tomorrow and he will regret his actions.[/size]

Timipre silva worshipped Jonathan? Is that before or after yar adua? My guy politics is all about the winning team...
Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by OdionOdion: 6:41pm On Apr 25, 2013
This political war is NOT between Amaechi and Jonathan but between Amaechi and WIKE.Wike helped Amaechi to fight Omeha to become governor,now this same wike is the one fighting Amaechi using his Aso Rock contacts.No one should blame GEJ or Dickson but the arrogant and ingrate Amaechi

3 Likes

Re: Dickson To Amaechi:“If You Want To Be Leader Of Opposition, Go To Opposition” by Symphony007: 6:44pm On Apr 25, 2013
Ironically he talks about governours tending to their states but he spends more time in abuja than yenegoa. Pres. Jonathan is really displaying political short sightedness by setting fire in the state that delivered the most votes to him in the 2011 election, the national PDP leadership is even warning him, because PDP is on the verge of collapse in the most consequential state in south. It's gonna be the beginning of the end for PDP if the rivers state fall in line with lagos politically.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

From Now On, Nigerian Prisoners Must Be Well Fed, Taken Cared Of – Aregbesola / FG Orders Closure Of Polytechnics For General Elections / Nigerian Troops Recapture Two Strategic Local Governments From Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.