Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,921 members, 7,799,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ (15003 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Medicine/surgery(mbbs) / How I Made It To Sweden From Nigeria To Study For My Master’s Degree / Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by RoblesOg(m): 11:37pm On Apr 25, 2013
The National Economic Council, NEC, on Thursday approved the conversion of one university in each of the six geo-political zones to a ‘Mega University.”

The recommendation for the conversion was part of those contained in the report of the Peter Obi-led Technical Committee on the recommendations of the Needs Assessment of Nigerian Universities, CNANU. All the recommendations were approved, Mr. Obi, Governor of Anambra State told journalists after the meeting.

See details at: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/131416-nigeria-to-create-six-mega-universities.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by IGBOSON1: 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2013
UNN should be chosen for the south east.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by coputa(m): 12:08am On Apr 26, 2013
What is mega university..what value will it add to the graduates and the economy except that it will give government cronies and contractors mega pay..this is a sign that our leaders are bereft of ideas that will turn the economy around,..what we need now is a mega vocational institutions in the six geopolitical zones...our graduates are stranded because they cannot offer anything or practice what they 've learnt in the university....can reading and writing alone create the needed opportunity for school leavers...as a growing economy such as ours we need graduates with skills and purpose..

51 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by kazeem1086(m): 12:14am On Apr 26, 2013
Gud dream 4 nigerian buh wen is it goin 2 cum tru. I pray it wil nt jst end on paper work, i beg federal govt shld tak action imediately. God bless nigeria
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by kazeem1086(m): 12:18am On Apr 26, 2013
I suggest ABU for North-West zone, OAU for South-West zone and Ilorin for North central zone

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 26, 2013
They have not been able to maintain the "mini" universities but want to go "mega" gaga ?

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by braine(m): 2:11am On Apr 26, 2013
Mega universities? It doesn't even make sense. So the others will be what? Mini universities? Common! Provide Mega Employment plans please!! undecided

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by musiwa24: 2:47am On Apr 26, 2013
i get upset like millions of nigerian do. when they see this jonathan 6 zones. nigerian never agreed to 6 zones..

look the western niger of nigeria is more populated than the east or the north.. the only thing they will get out of 6 zone is 1. how can majority get 1 out of 6. it is unfair to have the majority get the least. that is not a fair process.

a better system could be pre independent arrangement.. where kwara and kogi is west.. benue, taraba is east..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by ochukoccna: 5:11am On Apr 26, 2013
Nigerian government and their love for cliches
Which one is mega-universities again undecided undecided
All our current unis need is greater autonomy and better funding
Will the 'mega' status bring about world class ideas and world changing cutting edge research
Tbe leading edunational lights such as MIT,Stanford,Harvard,Oxford etc have no 'mega suffix' but bless mankind with the intelligence of the human mind while too many African intellctuals keep bringing forth shittty ideas
Wetin be black man problem

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Tolexander: 5:24am On Apr 26, 2013
Another plan to bring about political unrest and academic dichotomy.

Now that all schools are neither tagged mini nor mega, there is still the feeling among nigerian students base on superiority of a school to the other. The creation of mega schools will make those who are not opportuned to be admitted to the mega schools to be looked down upon as if they aren't in school.

It will be very unwise for some students to be enjoying the a modernised educational facilities while the others that sat for the same jamb with them to be under archaic system of learning.

Very sure the admission into these mega universities won't be based on merit but nepotism, cronysm and favortism just like the NDA and co.

Another problem is which of the existing schools will be chosen that won't cause any problem in each geo-political zone

Instead of these mega university initiative, why can't they just disburse this fund to the existing schools to lift their standard a bit.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 26, 2013
coputa: What is mega university..what value will it add to the graduates and the economy except that it will give government cronies and contractors mega pay..this is a sign that our leaders are bereft of ideas that will turn the economy around,..what we need now is a mega vocational institutions in the six geopolitical zones...our graduates are stranded because they cannot offer anything or practice what they 've learnt in the university....can reading and writing alone create the needed opportunity for school leavers...as a growing economy such as ours need graduates with skills and purpose..
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 26, 2013
in the south-west, between OAU and UI and UniLag...who go get the dough ?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by bidis: 7:32am On Apr 26, 2013
they should build vocational institutions all over the place not mega universities d jobless graduates hav they employed them

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 26, 2013
We sure love our phrases in Nigeria.

Personally, I don't envisage any "mega university" being built from scratch. Not only is this economically unviable, there is also the bigger question of quality, at time when existing universities do not have enough qualified lecturers.

In the absence of more useful information, I would assume that "mega university" simply means more satellite/annexed institutions, operating as part of tighter federated structure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by kazeem1086(m): 8:28am On Apr 26, 2013
@ braine. Buh this wuld inturn create employmt atleast in educational sector. Dont u tink it dat way
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 26, 2013
Mtcheeww__I laugh at Federal Goverment
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by coputa(m): 8:55am On Apr 26, 2013
The proposed mega university is for the children of the elite; currupt politicians and their accomplices and the mini universities,which is ill equipped are for the masses...the rich against the poor,the line of battle is drawn,.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nightshift(m): 9:24am On Apr 26, 2013
Another ego massaging tag for Nigerians - in the 70s it was my Mercedes is bigger than yours; now, it would be i'm studying in a mega university!! Do we really need more class warfare in this country?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Lilimax(f): 10:11am On Apr 26, 2013
They want to toil with the already fallen education system. They should know that Universities are not Politcal parties where a MEGA party can be formed. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by churific(m): 10:11am On Apr 26, 2013
Instead of just creating "Mega Universities," I hope they focus more on the quality of the education and eliminating the unnecessary costs and barriers to the students who will be dying to get into those "Mega Universities."

The PEOPLE are the UNIVERSITIES, not the buildings!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Scarpon(m): 10:12am On Apr 26, 2013
we have enough university please
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2013
whatever happened to the poor 9 universities that could not admit up to 500 persons?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by chymystique(f): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2013
And if Students graduate frm d so called MEGA University... R dey gonna ve Mega Employment sharply? undecided

This is jst anoda way of channellin Naija Funds for thr personal Use.. Hehe.. I knw ma own tym to Chow naija moni is Soonst! wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by superior1: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2013
Mega University Project, Mega Stealing and Looting

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Ilaje44(m): 10:19am On Apr 26, 2013
maxwello.yg:
in the south-west, between OAU and UI and UniLag...who go get the dough ?

Very simple! Carrot and stick politics should do the magic there. I already know which it would be sha, but there is a string attached. If this particular university allows Joe to change it's name to M...G, it should get it.

Cough... Mega Abiola... Coughs... of Lagos. Thats all!
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Oblitz(m): 10:21am On Apr 26, 2013
ALBERT EINSTEIN MAY BE WRONG AFTER ALL. SPEED OF LIGHT IS NOT CONSTANT ACCORDING TO RECENT STUDIES https://www.nairaland.com/1270412/speed-light-not-constant-new
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by dridowu: 10:21am On Apr 26, 2013
What is Mega University ?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by gerrardomendes(m): 10:22am On Apr 26, 2013
not necessary. but if i kan get d kontract...i'll b just fyn.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:22am On Apr 26, 2013
I think we need something like mega vocational centres.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by anitank(f): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2013
They are yet to tackle the main issues, they are dabbling into irrelevant things. SMH!
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by gudugudumeje: 10:26am On Apr 26, 2013
There is nothing like mega - university anywhere.

It is in the figment of imagination of the confused men. That is those in power who cannot understand what university - delivered services can translate to mean and be fulfilled and can as well be realised substantially in line with changing time and contemporary challenges.

NIGERIANS SHOULD EXPECT MEGA - FRAUD AND MEGA - RASCALITY intellect fraudsters as outputs of such places. This is particularly so with the present calibre of people in the universitiies that the Nigeria's system of higher education has not enabled and facilitated to make work productive and be paid for with endowments.....
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by kcjazz(m): 10:27am On Apr 26, 2013
If the current universities are not running at full capacity due to funding and personnel issues why go Mega, that's like buying a bus to replace a car after having a first child. Its amazing that people get paid to bring up stuff like these.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. / Photos From A Nairalander's Convocation / UNIBEN Block Student’s Graduation For 3 Years, Say ‘too Busy’ To Compile Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.