Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:54 PM

"If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters (1520 Views)

What President Obama Tells Donald Trump To Do(photo) / Obama Tells LGBT Crowd He Sees A Tidal Wave Of Gayness Sweeping The Nation, “fro / President Barack Obama's Daughters at the Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 12:03am On Apr 26, 2013
President Obama says he and the first lady have a strategy to discourage their daughters from ever getting tattoos.

He told "Today Show" anchor Savannah Guthrie they've already warned Sasha and Malia there will be consequences should they decide they want to get inked.

"If you guys ever decided you’re going to get a tattoo, then mommy and me will get the exact same tattoo, in the same place. And we’ll go on YouTube and show it off as a family tattoo," the president said he tells his daughters. "And our thinking is that might dissuade them from thinking that somehow that’s a good way to rebel."

During the conversation that aired on "Today" Wednesday morning, President Obama also addressed his wife's earlier slip-up when she called herself a single mother.

He said as a person who frequently makes verbal flubs of his own, he was inclined to cut "my wife or anyone some slack" in such cases.

"There’s no doubt that there’ve been times where Michelle probably felt like a single mom. I know that before we got here, when I was running for the U.S. senate, when I was running for president, there were times when I wouldn't see her for a week, and she was still working and having to look after the girls.

She definitely, I think, understands the burdens that women in particular tend to feel if they're both responsible for child rearing and they're responsible for working at the same time," he explained.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/04/24/obama-family-tattoo_n_3147286.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 12:43am On Apr 26, 2013
I have always admired President Obama and Michelle for the way they've handled their daughters growing up in what has to be incredibly challenging circumstances. He's a good family man. And the decision on the tatoos? Right on.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 26, 2013
I don't really like tattoos on women, tbh...

I admire the Obama family and how close-knitted the family is...
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more: I have always admired President Obama and Michelle for the way they've handled their daughters growing up in what has to be incredibly challenging circumstances. He's a good family man. And the decision on the tatoos? Right on.

Err... Don't you think they need a son to complete the equation? lol
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 12:46am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:
I don't really like tattoos on women, tbh...

I admire the Obama family and how close-knitted the family is...

Same here... cool
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 26, 2013
Malia and Sasha should get a tatto of the CFC crest

1 Like

Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more:

Same here... cool

Err... You need to get with kats or coogar to replicate that.. lipsrsealed

Personally, I think the Obama family exemplifies why being best friends with your kids is the best way to prevent them from being delinquent...
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:51am On Apr 26, 2013
CFCfan: Malia and Sasha should get a tatto of the CFC crest

bwahahahahahaha

hell fire missiles!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 12:51am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

Err... Don't you think they need a son to complete the equation? lol

I think so, but Michelle has past it now, don't you think?
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

bwahahahahahaha

hell fire missiles!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Nah, Heavenly arrows would be better cheesy
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 12:54am On Apr 26, 2013
CFCfan: Malia and Sasha should get a tatto of the CFC crest

grin grin grin grin

I would have loved that... cool tongue
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more:

I think so, but Michelle has past it now, don't you think?

Erm... With modern technology, that shouldn't be a problem....

Perhaps, they aren't really bothered about it..
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 12:55am On Apr 26, 2013
CFCfan:

Nah, Heavenly arrows would be better cheesy

Lmao.... Joker...
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 1:01am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

Erm... With modern technology, that shouldn't be a problem....

Perhaps, they aren't really bothered about it..

Yeah, you are right. I think they aren't bothered about it. But if it were a proper african man ( you know what I mean in this context) he would have been bothered not having a male child. No?
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by White007(m): 1:03am On Apr 26, 2013
Let me understand the logic here: to discourage your children from doing something inappropriate, you threaten them to do the same inappropriate stuff.. Now if my son decides to let us say smoke pot or take a prostitute, do I need to do the same in order to discourage him?!

1 Like

Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 1:16am On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more:

Yeah, you are right. I think they aren't bothered about it. But if it were a proper african man ( you know what I mean in this context) he would have been bothered not having a male child. No?

That's because of the importance attached to male children and family in the patrilineal African culture(s)/societies... However, I doubt the matrilineal cultures/societies in Africa would care about the sex of the child, tbh...
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 1:17am On Apr 26, 2013
White007: Let me understand the logic here: to discourage your children from doing something inappropriate, you threaten them to do the same inappropriate stuff.. Now if my son decides to let us say smoke pot or take a prostitute, do I need to do the same in order to discourage him?!

I believe it has more to do with the type of relationship and interaction(s) they have with their children....
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 26, 2013
White007: Let me understand the logic here: to discourage your children from doing something inappropriate, you threaten them to do the same inappropriate stuff.. Now if my son decides to let us say smoke pot or take a prostitute, do I need to do the same in order to discourage him?!
*Falls from Tonto Dikeh's roof* grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 1:23am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

That's because of the importance attached to male children and family in the patrilineal African culture(s)/societies... However, I doubt the matrilineal cultures/societies in Africa would care about the sex of the child, tbh...

That's exactly my point.

African men attach too much importance to a male child. I have seen instances where they ( african men)divorce their better halves for not having a male child. As if it is the fault of the women.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by White007(m): 1:26am On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

I believe it has more to do with the type of relationship and interaction(s) they have with their children....

If any parent ever reaches a point where he or she has to use such means as duplicity or copy then that parent has failed... Parenting with success is not achieved by means of compromise...Rather it is achieved by the effective administration of love and firmness without any compromise of values or negotiation.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 1:44am On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more:
That's exactly my point.

African men attach too much importance to a male child. I have seen instances where they ( african men)divorce their better halves for not having a male child. As if it is the fault of the women.

Lmao... That's just ridiculous!

I think that has more to do with the society and the Machismo attached to having male children... grin
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 1:50am On Apr 26, 2013
White007:
If any parent ever reaches a point where he or she has to use such means as duplicity or copy then that parent has failed... Parenting with success is not achieved by means of compromise...Rather it is achieved by the effective administration of love and firmness without any compromise of values or negotiation.

I think friendship and interaction are also important in raising children... When parents have a "friendship" with their kids - the kids are more likely to be free around them, and it would be easier for them to talk to their parents with no holds barred... However, effective administration of firmness would create a cordial relationship albeit still distant - with extreme fear...

Anyway, a combination of both would be a perfect choice...
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Jenny20(f): 11:54am On Apr 26, 2013
Be careful Mr President, your kids are far more devious than you give them credit. You might want to wait a few weeks before getting your copycat ink. Just in case they get a temporary tattoo.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 4:09pm On Apr 26, 2013
Hmmmmm....
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 7:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
Shymexx, what's cooking? undecided undecided
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 7:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao... That's just ridiculous!

I think that has more to do with the society and the Machismo attached to having male children... grin

You think it's ridiculous, but this things do happen. African men have a thing with a male child. Some of them can go to any length just to get a male child, even at the risk of divorcing or marrying more than one wife.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by slimyem: 8:00pm On Apr 26, 2013
A Naija parent dare not use this caution line on their child no matter the kind of relationship they have with such child.It doesn't make sense.

What would they tell them about slipping up and getting pregnant?

The Obamas are lucky it'll work on their kids though.
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2013
[quote author=Feed me more]Shymexx, what's cooking? undecided undecided[/quote

Nothing - missing me, no?

Gatts a little something for you, anyway... undecided
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2013
Feed me more:

You think it's ridiculous, but this things do happen. African men have a thing with a male child. Some of them can go to any length just to get a male child, even at the risk of divorcing or marrying more than one wife.

Well, not all African men do that - those who do are in the minority... grin
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Feedmemore(f): 5:50am On Apr 28, 2013
[quote author=ShyM-X][/quote]

*thinkingAloud*

What shymexx got for me smiley
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2013
Feed me more:

*thinkingAloud*

What shymexx got for me smiley

Where have you been hiding? undecided
Re: "If You Get Tattoos, So Will We" Obama Tells Daughters by isalegan2: 3:19pm On Apr 28, 2013
Feed me more:

That's exactly my point.

This is not an African problem. Please read about what Chinese do to ensure male children. Before the time of Prophet Muhammed (SAW) some Arab tribes used to bury alive unwanted female children.

ShyM-X:

Err... You need to get with kats or coogar to replicate that.. lipsrsealed

Personally, I think the Obama family exemplifies why being best friends with your kids is the best way to prevent them from being delinquent...

"Best friends" koo, conjoined twins nii. You better know I am the lord and master in this house! Best friends with my kids. Bwahahahaha.

Hmm. Okay, I don't have kids yet. tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

ISIS Beheads American Journalist (*** Warning: Graphic Content ****) / Melissa Rivers Files Lawsuit In Mother Joan Rivers’ Death / Rare Picture(coloured) Of Queen Elizabeth Ii

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.