Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,335 members, 7,808,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? (8740 Views)

Anybody With Idea Where To Buy 2 Wheels farm tractor / Bank Accounts And People You Don't Wanna Send Money To - Part 1 / Opening A Boutique In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 3:44pm On Apr 12, 2008
Hi fellow NLanders, I am into phone booth buisness although I make alot of profit daily, sometimes up to N1000, but I am not too comfortable with it, not only because of the sun, the stress and too much time devoted to it(7:30am-9:00pm) but also because I want to move ahead in life. So I decided to set up a boutique. Pls can anyone give me any useful information on how to set a small boutique(the cost and the prosedures), not just the normal roadside boutique, but the one that i will have an AC in, and I will sit inside the shop, not seating outside the shop calling passerby to come and buy. And again pls I need to know an wholeseller shop where I can buy goods for sale. And the right place to set up a small boutique in Lagos.
Pls fellow nairalanders and the guru in boutique biz answer me.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 12, 2008
Okay, first you need to decide what you want to sell in your boutique.

Figure who your target market is. Are you targeting everyday Nigerians who will buy regular quality stuff or wealthy Nigerians who want high end luxury?

Also, you need to find a building/shop, and negotiate rent

Then you either need to find a wholesale supplier (inside or outside Nigeria)

Depending on what you are selling in your boutique, you need to figure out how you are going to handle importation and customs

Then there's the question of how many people you will employ, how you are going to drive customers to your shop, advertising costs, etc,

Figure out all this stuff and try and write a business plan, and project how much you expect to sell per month, and if your projected profits can cover your overhead costs, then it's a good idea
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by outlaws(m): 10:13am On Apr 13, 2008
Hey poster, you will be in a better position to compete with your competitors if you get your goods from China.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by funkybaby(f): 10:56am On Apr 13, 2008
First of all, depending on what part of Lagos you stay, you can make good money. If you stay in the suburbs- oshodi, mushin, ipaja, ajegunle and the likes, its best you stock your shop with clothes made and imported from China.

If you stay in highbrow areas-ikeja, lekki and the likes, then clothes from Europe and US should be what should be stocked in your shop.

All you need is a small shop(you could consider using 'container'), a carpenter to construct small racks for clothes, a little corner as changing room. Make sure you also install good burglary proof iron bars around the shop to forestall robbery attacks.

I will advice that you do not get a sales boy or girl yet until you've found your feet in the business. Those people most times could be dishonest.

You want to place AC in your small shop? Lol. Have you considered the epileptic electricity supply? The cost of a generator that will power at least 1horse power generator? The cost of purchasing diesel or fuel? Save all the luxurious for later when the big money start coming in. You could install an AC but i suggest you buy those small 'tiger generators' to power your standing fan and bulbs.

Mandillas at Lagos Island is the best place to buy in wholesale price and quality clothes imported from China. The big time importers bring their cargo straight here. Ask how i know-i have a Ibo friend that is into the China import business. At mandillas, you will get variety of wears.

You can also get quality and original Italian wears on the Island as well. There are mini-warehouses located in some buildings along Broad street and environs. But they do not come cheap oh!

Excluding the cost of renting your shop, with 100-150 thousand naira, you can purchase your first set of goods at Lagos Island.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 2:22pm On Apr 18, 2008
Thanks all of u, at least I now know the cost of buyin my first goods. how much does it cost to rent a shop in a busy area?
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by naijacutee(f): 11:33pm On Apr 18, 2008
Great post, funkybaby. . . Can I just add that the area where you decide to set up your shop should also determine which of funkybaby's suggestions you get stock from. You wouldn't want to buy expensive stuff if your shop is located in an area where people aren't used to ostentacious items. Also, you wouldn't want to buy too cheap stuff if your shops is located in an area where people aren't afraid to splash out for good stuff.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 2:39pm On Apr 21, 2008
Thanks all of u, at least I now know the cost of buyin my first goods. how much does it cost to rent a shop in a busy area?
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by naijacutee(f): 8:22pm On Apr 21, 2008
WafiJoe, I'd suggest you actually get up and go round and find out what areas are busy and how much it costs to rent shops there. There are several busy areas in Lagos, and several different price ranges. . . You are the one who wants to start the shope, therefore you should make an effort to do the research. It you had a specific question like : "How much does A sell for?" or "Does anyone have a shop to let on B road?", we on this forum would be in more of a position to help/answer.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by johnadey(m): 8:11am On Apr 22, 2008
You can make it big within 6 months if you get your products directly from Vietnam ( A better alternative to China)

Im in Vietnam presently, I can be of help when you are ready.

mail adeyemoj@gmail for further discussion.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by funkybaby(f): 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2008
@naijacutee
Thank you o jare.

@wafijoe
You seem not to have read my post very well and you practically want to be spoonfed.

Are you expecting us to tell you the wholesale cost of one dozen of jeans or the rent payable for a shop at Badagry?

You have to go out and get these info yourself. Its called 'market survey'. I have already told you that with 100-200 thousand naira, your shop should be fully stocked.

You can decide to open a shop around the neighbourhood you stay. This allows you to open your shop for longer hours, on sundays, avoid traffic, etc.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 11:06am On May 01, 2008
thanks to all of u
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by yinkausa(f): 7:31am On May 02, 2008
john, i was looking into that kind of business myself but it will be very hard to bring name brand product from china to america. i was looking into opening a boutique here. will $20,000 buy me a full container of goods to sell in nigeria and do you have any idea if people will buy those stuff in bulk. i dont want to open a shop, i just want to be able to use that money to buy stuff from china to make money because i want to use that money to buy a land in lagos.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by yinkausa(f): 7:34am On May 02, 2008
i have been looking at different website from china manufacturer, i saw alot of stuff there that will be good to sell. i saw the prices too, cheap
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by abujabooks(f): 1:48pm On May 02, 2008
@funkybaby,

I like your business sense. I will send you an email.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 4:09pm On May 04, 2008
hmmmmm tongue , interestin $20,000. Use it well, its ma advise
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by yinkausa(f): 4:54pm On May 04, 2008
@wafijoe, that is why i am looking for something to invest the money , i want to use the money to make a little bit of extra so i can buy a land in december and fence it.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by WafiJoe(m): 5:17pm On May 04, 2008
i want u to beware of fraudsters in 9ja
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by realcash4y(m): 3:30am On Aug 12, 2010
hello my fellow friend how is everything over there.a boutique business is a nice business and profittable but it determine where the shop is located.to start it fully you can get a shop.if you to have insufficient fund you can start small,by buying your product from does goes to import
good because is going to be cheap and if you known you have the fund you can import the good straight from importer.
makesure you locate it to a real market area.also make sure you make cash book recordind.stay bless.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by InfinityB: 11:49pm On Dec 29, 2010
Wholesales clothing shoes and accesories for kids at great prices call 08023963849, 07042409850
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by meee1: 11:00am On Jun 20, 2011
@Funkybaby, you are good. Thanks a lot
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by LordCiricee: 10:39am On Dec 30, 2012
For wholesale of children's wears(newborn,3-6 months etc) from London at cheapest price....email me on alana.iyke@yahoo.com for further discussions.
Re: Wanna Start Up A Boutique, Anybody With Idea Of The Cost? by Homeyfav: 10:19am On Nov 01, 2017
pqiyrt[]'

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do Plain T-shirts(round Neck) Cost Around Lagos When Buying In Bulk / The story behind MMM Zimbabwe and Nigerian non-participants' intents. / Car Hire And Keke Maruwa Business.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.