Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

Maize Farming Startup - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming Startup (111139 Views)

Have You Ever Seen Black Maize Before? This Will Shock You / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. / Info On Maize Farming Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farming Startup by bawelat: 10:13am On Jul 26, 2013
lesgupnigeria,i saw ur post on a poultry thread on niraland and i sent an e-mail to you pls send me details of how to meet you to my mail box gbolahan.basheer@yahoo.com,apart from maize what other crop can one plant now with short gestation period how long will it take to havest tomatoes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Missktinz: 2:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
Lesgupnigeria:

It depend on the financial muscle and how much you really want to invest.
This is the right and best time to plant cassava.You can start with 1hectare of land.
I will give you the cost of production for 1hectare
Cost of production of cassava is as follows:
STAGE 1
Land lease: 5,000/annum
1st plough: 8,000
STAGE 2:
2nd plough :8,000
9month maturingCassava Stem +transportation: 20,000
STAGE 3
Planting: 9,000
STAGE 4
1st Weeding: 8,000
Fertiliser +Application:15,000
STAGE 5
2nd weeding: 8,000
Miscellaneous: 3,000
Harvesting : 7,000
TOTAL for 1Ha =#87,000
For 1Ha,yield is between 30-35tons and currently 1ton is #20,000
Revenue is 20,000*30=#600,000
Whopping #600,000 ,Thanks to the federal govt. policy on cassava.
We lease land in Ogun state for 5,000/Ha/annum.Machinery and labour are available in the area.

I'm
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 7:52am On Jul 31, 2013
PapaBrowne:

I will use the calculations given by @Olushowumn to butress my point.
Based on Olushowumn's calcultions, 1 hectare of land should produce 50,000 hills of corn which would equate to 200,000 cubs. An Igba(not sure what that means) would contain 400-600 cubs and could be sold for between 2000-4000 Naira. Lets use 500 cubs and 3000 Naira as average for an Igba.

So,
500 cubs = 1 Igbas = 3000 Naira.
200,000 cubs = 400 bags = 1.2 million Naira per hectare.
So your 7 hectare would yeild 8.4 million Naira.
Now that's good money. Or so it seems.

@PapaBrowne, your line of thought is great and I am highly inspired by your words. However, a quick look at the calculations (or the assumptions made in the calculations) shows that there are some fictitious figures somewhere! They are grossly overestimated. I can assure you with all confidence that 1 hectare of land can not yield you 1.2 million naira at least in 2013. Maybe that will be possible in 3013. grin If that is the case, nobody will be running after oil money.

That being said, in any business, it is important to understand 'everything' about the product you are dealing with. You have to know the alpha and omega of the product to maximise profitability. As I said earlier, I am still learning the ropes and the figures we see on the internet is one of the reasons why I need to do this myself and get first hand information. If you go into any business with the kind of figures we see here, you will definitely hit the rocks.

On the other hand, adding value to a raw material will always have its benefits. It is also important to understand the supply chain. Take two examples:

1. The large fashion companies in UK etc prefer to outsource manufacture of textiles to China and sell in UK. So they've learnt over time to operate downstream of the chain by simply producing in China and selling in UK.
2. Some major Oil and Gas companies explore for oil and sell processed crude and exit there. They choose to stay upstream and do not bother to go into refining.

There will come a time when I will for sure know the optimum entry and exit point of the maize supply chain.

Thanks for your contributions.

8 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by PapaBrowne(m): 11:48am On Jul 31, 2013
^^^^^
I agree with you somewhat on some points especially with regards to practicalities. The postulations I used are based on @Olushowumn's write-up and I assume them to be on point based on the fact that he is a farmer and his figures are not too far from established figures.
The purpose is not to state the real output but to show the potentially large difference between a product sold as raw materials especially in the international market [b]vs [/b]a product sold after value has been added.

My point is, if we create value for our products, we stand to benefit much more whether as individual businesses or as nations.

If you agree that 1 hectare of land would produce on average 200,000 ears of corn, then the calculations are still on point. At 50 Naira per piece of boiled or roasted corn(a simple value), 200,000 ears of corn would produce 10 million Naira is the value that one hectare would eventually produce. Now that's in theory. In practice, a whole lot of other factors begin to come to play and that figure definitely would shrink but it doesn't change the eventual value the corn will eventually be marketed at.

You are right about oil companies and textile companies. The funny thing is that they added value at one end of the chain and are selling at greater prices. A chinese company produces a shirt for say $10 and a little bit of branding is added to it by Ralph Lauren and it is eventually sold for $100. Its the value adder that benefits more.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 7:30am On Aug 01, 2013
Your analysis is ok only that Olushowumn missed it somewhere.

I just did a mini research online and from the information I gathered, 1 hectare can yield maximum 20,000 ears of corn (assuming global current best practice for maximum yield). So I do not agree that 1 hectare can produce 200,000 ears of corn.

See the links below:
http://www.clover.okstate.edu/fourh/aitc/lessons/upper/cornmath.pdf
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080922165626AAPpkC8
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_ears_of_sweet_corn_will_come_out_of_an_acre

To convert acre to hectare, multiply by 0.4.

I will explore the various options you have stated for adding value. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 9:04am On Aug 02, 2013
@MEGAINVEST, BRING MORE FACTS TO BACK YOURSELF UP... I'M NOT INTO THEORY.... SO MY FIRST CRITIQUE ON YOUR ANALYSIS IS THAT YOU ARE CONVERTING TO HECTARE, IT SHOULD BE 2.5 FACTOR AND NOT 0.4 FACTOR AS THATS CONVERTING BACK TO ACRES... AND IT MUST BE NOTED: THE SPACING USED IN PLANTING... SO LET ME TAKE THE PAIN TO ANALYSE THE BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO AND ANY OTHER SPACING IS STRONGLY ADVISED AGAINST DUE TO HIGH RISK LEVEL WHICHA BEGINNER MAY NOT BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND AND MANAGED...

AS OF TODAY, I HECTARE = 10,000SQM WORLD OVER, WHILE 1 ACRE = 4040SQM...
NOW LETS IMAGINE WE HAVE 100M X 100M DIMENSION AS 1 HECTARE... AND YOU PLANT AT 0.4M(WITHIN.ROW SPACING) AND 0.8M (BETWEEN ROW SPACING)
YOU WILL HAVE 31,125 HILLS BY THAT SPACING, IF YOU NOW HAVE 2STANDS PER HILL, IT WILL BE 62,250 MAIZE PLANTS.... SO IF YOU HAVE 2 EARS PER PLANT, YOU WILL HAVE 124,500 STANDS... NOW THERE ARE TECHNIQUES TO MAKE 1 PLANT CARRY 3 EARS WHICH WILL NOT BE STATED HERE... FOR THOSE DARING SOUL, YOU CAN TRY 3 SEEDS PER HILL...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 9:11am On Aug 02, 2013
@MEGAINVEST... NOW FOR THE DARING SOULS WHO MIGHT TRY 3 STANDS PER HILL... YOU WILL HAVE 93,750 PLANTS/HECTARE... LETS ASSUMED THAT AFTER ALL AND DONE, YOU HAVE 80,000 PLANTS/HECTARE.. YOU CAN GET 160,000EARS PER HECTARE..

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THE POINTS MORE CLEAERE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 10:55am On Aug 02, 2013
Sorry I got the acre to hectare conversion wrong. The analysis you have above is more realistic. Thanks.

Pls share your techniques for the 3 ears per plant. wink
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:53pm On Aug 09, 2013
Missktinz:

I'm really interested in this. Can you explain further? Do you provide the land also? What's the average cost of renting machinery? You mentioned you charge 20000 naira to manage per year, do you do 100% management or just partial. Please explain or send me more information to ceekaybee01@yahoo.com

Yes,we do 100% management inclusive free land with rentage of machinery @ #16,000 for the Land peeparation- 1st and 2nd ploughing.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
Missktinz:

I'm really interested in this. Can you explain further? Do you provide the land also? What's the average cost of renting machinery? You mentioned you charge 20000 naira to manage per year, do you do 100% management or just partial. Please explain or send me more information to ceekaybee01@yahoo.com
Re: Maize Farming Startup by mayorde(m): 2:35am On Oct 12, 2013
please i nid information(detailed) on how i can go into maize planting, perhaps mechanised one. Am sure if i can get detailed information ranging from cultivation to selling i will be able to raise the required start up capital.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Ademat7(m): 11:46am On Oct 12, 2013
I have got harvested maize in my barn/store,hw do I market or who want to buy.
NB:they've nt been shell contact m adematinfo@gmail.com
Re: Maize Farming Startup by cranky: 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
megainvest: Sorry I got the acre to hectare conversion wrong. The analysis you have above is more realistic. Thanks.

Pls share your techniques for the 3 ears per plant. wink

@ Megainvest, You did not get the conversion wrong!

1 acre is approximately 0.4 hectares.

So converting from acre to hectare, simply multiply the value by 0.4. What this meeans is that 100 acres = (100*0.4) hectares = 40 hectares.

@Olushowunm, you even colloborated him when you said 1 hectare is 10,000 sqm while an acre is 4040 sqm. Is 4040sqm not 0.4 of 10,000 sqm? That means that there are 2.47 acres in 1 hectare. Why are you confusing him by telling him he's wrong?

To re-interate again, 1 acre = 0.405 hectares.
1 hectare = 2.47 acres

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by osca234: 5:35pm On Oct 12, 2013
Lesgupnigeria:

If you want to dry,shell and bag your maize,thats when you can add those cost.We are selling directly from farm to the market.
We do free harvesting for our clients we manage land for,thats why we are not including that cost.
You need 6bottles of insecticide/1Ha with each going for #1000 throughout the growing season of maize.
We dont have bird problem in our own area.
Tell your friend to always mix the corn with Avian plus.

@lesgroup what is the function of this avian plus when mixed with the corn?
Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 7:45am On Oct 13, 2013
@Cranky... My calculations on acres and hectares are right and you are the one who needs further investigation, maybe you only hear it and not practicalize it!!!

Then 2.47acres and 2.5acres is just playing on your mathematical knowledge as its the answer you get when you round to i decimal place.

And no land measurement is ever accurate, is either over the desired measurement or below.

Finally, the acre or hectare is not in anyway stoping productivity, so don't deviate the topic into real estate...

We are farmers and will remain so!!!

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by cranky: 8:41am On Oct 13, 2013
olushowunm: @Cranky... My calculations on acres and hectares are right and you are the one who needs further investigation, maybe you only hear it and not practicalize it!!!

Then 2.47acres and 2.5acres is just playing on your mathematical knowledge as its the answer you get when you round to i decimal place.

And no land measurement is ever accurate, is either over the desired measurement or below.

Finally, the acre or hectare is not in anyway stoping productivity, so don't deviate the topic into real estate...

We are farmers and will remain so!!!

Chief, 1 acre is 0.405 hectares! That is fact!! What concerns one's mathematical knowledge with this? If you have contrary information that is not available to anyone else, kindly share.

According to your own words, if land measurement is never accurate, does it mean that if I wanted to buy 10 hectares of land and the final measurement comes to about 7 hectares, then the land is 10 hectares? No!! The size of land is exactly what is measured, not what is desired. A 1 hectare land is 1 hectare irrespective of whether I desired it to be 3.5 hectares. The only thing that varies is what we in Nigeria call plots. A standard plot of land in Lagos and most of the South-West states is 120 ft X 60 ft, while in most Eastern and South-South states, it is 100 ft X 50 ft.

Crop farming is all about real estate! Please don't confuse this farming with gardening. If you don't know simple conversion if you see it, how do you hope to be a good farmer then? Someone said multiply the number of acres by 0.4 to get it in hectares, you said he's wrong because 1 hectare is 10,000 sqm while 1 acre is 4040 sqm. For goodness sake, what is the difference? Why tell him he's wrong? Pls note that an acre is actually 4046.9 sqm, not 4040 sqm. You can check this FACT with your phone. It does not matter which phone as even the lowest Nokia phone has a converter.

Now to some other claims you've made like an hectare containing up to 160,000 ears of corn...I did not want to respond to this initially, but since you now think you are an expert at this, I'll respond now. Your figures are wrong!!! How can you say that? That is very misleading. I was like "does this guy even own a farm?" then I went back and read your earlier posts and saw that you don't even own a farm (there is a difference between owning land that can be used for farming and owning a farm, you know) yet you claim to know it all.

At 160,000 ears sold at even N10 each is N1,600,000 very few months. Why don't we leave this very optimistic and sci-fi attitude and be realistic even for once? That is how someone will take this information and go and establish a farm only for him to start wondering what is happening to his farm. I am a farmer and I know what I am saying. I can post pics of my farm here for you to see.

I admire Megainvest because he is practicing what he is talking about. There is also one other thread here on this forum about Palm Plantation that you get to see practicing farmers discussing, not some guy that has internet access and so much idle time. In fact people like you are many on this forum; some will tell you there is so much money in catfish production, while others will tell you about the millions (and maybe billions) you can make in poultry (meat and egg production) and then some poor guy who's been looking for a business will jump into it thinking they are that profitable. Now don't get me wrong, there is money in these ventures but not as most posters present them.

It is not easy out there! Pls leave wishful thinking aside and be realistic. Why don't you even try the 1 hectare first and see if you get 160,000 ears.

Please don't come here claiming you know when you are actually not practicing. Let practical farmers share their experiences. We have been in this farming business for years.

And another advice: try to read other people's comments and make sure you understand them before replying so you don't appear confused.

Thanks.

9 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by PapaBrowne(m): 10:44am On Oct 13, 2013
@Cranky
You might be a practicing farmer, but do you consider that you might not be practicing properly. While experience counts for so much, it also has a way of hindering progress especially when we choose to close our minds to potential for improvement. Its common knowledge that farming practices in Nigeria are very outdated and expectedly would result in poor yields. Do you consider that you practice might be outdated?
What kind of seedlings do you plant with? What kind of spacing do you apply? What kind of nutriets do you feed your soil with?

Now I ask these questions because from all I have seen, Olushowunm hasn't said anything different from what is the standard internationally.
Most farmers plant between 30,000 to 50,000 plants of corn per acre. Based on your conversion at approx 2.5 acres= 1 Hectare, that should give you between (30,000- 50,000) x 2.5= 75,000-125,000 plants per hectare. Now if each plants averages 1-2 ears that leaves us with an average 150,000 and 250,000 ears per hectare. So how is that different from what Olushown has postulated. The links and googlecut outs belwoe show what average per acre planting is.

Africa has been punching below its belt for ages and producing yields that are about 25% of world averages. Do you consider that your farming practice might just restricted to African standards which implies that there is huge room for improvement?

http://varietytrials.tennessee.edu/weightsmeasures/pdfdocs/conversions.pdf

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/crops/CornPlantDensity04.htm

Re: Maize Farming Startup by cranky: 11:20am On Oct 13, 2013
@PapaBrowne,

150,000 to 250,000 matured and sizeable ears per hectare? You'll be very lucky if you get 50,000 good enough ears. The rest will be something you'll probably discard or what birds would have eaten.

Pls don't use that to make financial projections, I beg you.

Like I said before, everything looks easy and rosy on paper/internet. It is only when one starts practicing that he'll know for sure.

I am not against having 250,000 ears per hectare, but I surely do not subscribe to people sharing just a part of the story. Why would someone tell me I can get 160,000 ears per hectare when he can't go further (or does not even know) to tell me what percentage of that will actually have economic value at harvest? You want to run your economics with that value? You'll be disappointed at the end o! That is how some innocent guy will just run his economics based on these values and then cry "witch" later when he doesn't get the predicted outcome.

There is more to this farming thing.

Just my 2 cents.

@Megainvest, please continue sharing your practical experiences....many people will be inspired by it.

Me? I'm not arguing anymore. A word, they say, is enough for the wise.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 11:44am On Oct 13, 2013
@Cranky, i'm quite happy and also dissapointed in you: kind of mixed feelings.

And to the crux of the matter, i have rested my case on acre-hectare conversion. If you like use 0.4046 or 0.405 or 0.4 or 0.404. Thats left for your judgement, i'm not a real estate agent but a farmer. If you have seen a perfect 1 acre or 1 hectare measurement without +/- 0-1 % error, then you must be living in the moon.
Then for the maize farming, you are practical farmer and i'm a theoretical farmer: well, will you be opportuned to accept my challenge, can i visit your farm and you do likewise.
Then concerning the maize ears potential/hectare, that case have been put to rest since when, if you think you are man enough, take the gamble and care for your farm properly and see if its possible or just a bullshit as you insinuate.
I have tried different spacing techniques and i have learnt a lot that i will never share here because of people like you.
Spacing and plant population is critical in any crop production.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
Wow it's hot in here! Good thing I finally have some Updates from my practical experience. My total yield was about 13.5 tons giving about 1.9 tons per hectare. This is way below the mark of 3 tons per hectare I expected.

There are a few reasons I identified for this. Some of the corn was eaten by pests, some were stolen and few plants did not produce healthy cobs.

As for the conversions and standard yields, I finally have a grip of it. The following are Given facts:
1. one acre is 0.404 hectares.
2. 1 hectare will contain 2.47 times the maize in one acre if planted uniformly.
3. Maize yield can range from as low as less than 1 ton per hectare in Africa to over 20 tons per hectare in some parts of USA. On the average, Chile / USA produce at about 11 tons/ha, with Nigeria at 2tons/ha.
4. In terms of ears of corn per hectare, a representative figure is difficult to mention but a yield of 75,000 ears per hectare can be considered as excellent production in the leading countries.

I am happy to have my own experience and willing to learn more. It is quite clear that making an investment decision based on balloon internet figures can ruin you.

5 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by cranky: 8:34am On Oct 14, 2013
@Megainvest, more power to your elbow!

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by eposho: 9:24am On Oct 14, 2013
Wow, am highly impressed at everyone. More grease to all.
Am in need of corn sheller , if you have one or know where to get a good/modern one pls contact me@
Atenifarms@yahoo.co.UK.
Thanks.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 1:25pm On Oct 14, 2013
@Megainvest, well its all good, but take note that the hybrid maize that was given by GES is not doing very well across all fields, but take note of planting materials in your next farming project.
Also, i will advise you first used manure on the field before ploughing so it will be properly mixed with the soil. Then, since you have farmed on the same field before, take note of those portion that the maize was stunted and did not grow well, so you can increase fertility by adding more manure.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by jick4life(m): 5:47pm On Oct 14, 2013
im an animal scientist,and a student of funaab.
my i.t was same as f.p.y where we planted different crops.we planted 15 hectares of corn which will b sold to nestle company.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2013
osca234:

@lesgroup what is the function of this avian plus when mixed with the corn?
The avian plus kills any bird that attempt to feed on the corn plant.
You can also hang Alarm Bells on the farm to ward-off the birds.
For.more.info visit www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Ozonna(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2013
megainvest: Wow it's hot in here! Good thing I finally have some Updates from my practical experience. My total yield was about 13.5 tons giving about 1.9 tons per hectare. This is way below the mark of 3 tons per hectare I expected.

There are a few reasons I identified for this. Some of the corn was eaten by pests, some were stolen and few plants did not produce healthy cobs.

As for the conversions and standard yields, I finally have a grip of it. The following are Given facts:
1. one acre is 0.404 hectares.
2. 1 hectare will contain 2.47 times the maize in one acre if planted uniformly.
3. Maize yield can range from as low as less than 1 ton per hectare in Africa to over 20 tons per hectare in some parts of USA. On the average, Chile / USA produce at about 11 tons/ha, with Nigeria at 2tons/ha.
4. In terms of ears of corn per hectare, a representative figure is difficult to mention but a yield of 75,000 ears per hectare can be considered as excellent production in the leading countries.

I am happy to have my own experience and willing to learn more. It is quite clear that making an investment decision based on balloon internet figures can ruin you.

I cultivated 4 hectares of maize dis year. Harvested it this July and made quite a loss which I must confess is my fault because I was an absentee farmer who handed over my farm to a guy that claims he's an expert consultant. At the end of the day I made a loss. I'll still return next year sha.

However, I've learnt so much already and this is what I learnt.

1. Always make sure that your farm is not too far from the market

2. Never be an absentee farmer. Make sure your farm is close to where you live and if its not, rent a house in that village. If you must be an absentee farmer, then tell the person that will takia of the farm that you are willing to give him 5-10% of the net profit if the maize does well (I might do this nxt year cos my leased farm land is in the east)

3. Don't manage money. Make sure you have enough money for weeding (2ice), fertilizer (2ice),labour. etc

4. If you want to maximize your profit (maize), try planting early maize or late maize. One of the reasons I made a loss was because of my timing.

5. There is more money in selling fresh than threshing and bagging it.

6. Know the right herbicides/pesticides to use and how to use them.

7. Pray to God for a favorable weather. After my 1st fertilizer application (which is 2 weeks after planting), rain no gree fall for like almost 2weeks angry

8. Pray to God to turn away Fulani herdsmen from your farm angry angry angry. The week I was supposed to harvest, a Fulani herdsman was butchered to death by one of the locals because the Fulani man and his cows scattered the local's rice farm. I postponed my harvest by 1 week to allow things to cool down before the Fulani men think that i'm from the village and attack me when im harvesting.

These are the few things I can remember for now. Truth is that there is so much money to be made from Agric. I'm still getting experience and working hard/saving money because I hope to go back and start an Integrated farm in the near future. Cheers wink

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2013
Thanks Cranky, Olushowunm, Lesgupnigeria and Ozonna for your contributions. I will surely be applying these learnings.

There are obviously some other things we can learn from farmers outside Nigeria. I wonder what the Americans and Chileans are doing differently to obtain the kind of yields they have.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by alajimeche: 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
Good day,I saw ur post and I am very interested in going into farming especially maize and cassava. But I have some fears.my fears are,how do I get a land hectares.at how much.if harvest my crop are there ready buyers like breweries.how much can I make say per Hester of maize or cassava. Will two million nairaland be enuogh to go into commercial farming. I wil really appreciate your kind response. My email is Ameche.okafor@yahoo.com
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 11, 2013
@ Cranky, I think it's time we gave some practices a trial, a trial might convince u atimes. See, things are changing dis days, and to meet up with d challenges in agriculture, we have 2 give some practices a trial by adopting latest techniques. I must tell u, dat's why europe, america & asia are far ahead of africa. Dis same plant population u guys were arguing on, a zimbabwean big time farmer who's my friend told me 2 try dis same pp. Likewise an indian farmer told me same. I'm giving it a try come next farming season by his grace. I was surprised when I visited our association office 2 wks ago & I was told d criteria 4 farm inspection to access loan next year will be strictly 20,000 stands of cassava/ha instead of d usual 10,000 stands/ha. With dis, in about few weeks, d plants will attain full ground cover & inhibit weed growth, so u will have to carry out only 1 weeding & ur yield will not be affected. I still cant believe what I was told anyways, until I personaly give a trial come next season. Practices are changing for improvement everyday.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by alajimeche: 9:59pm On Dec 11, 2013
@ajayitp.please can u help out with my question above .please I will be glad for a tip
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Nobody: 6:51am On Dec 12, 2013
alajimeche: @ajayitp.please can u help out with my question above .please I will be glad for a tip

The 1st thing I will ask u is ur location. Which state are u based? Besides that, how prepared are u to go into it? Farming is neva a child's play. It takes those who have crossed d rubicorn 2 excell in it. Are u ready 2 go into it as d only business u have(full time or part time)? When u answer these, then we'll know what 2 do. No need 4 private mail, all will be said here 4 others 2 benefit.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by adelegan1: 8:58am On Dec 13, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PICTURES..The Construction Of Free Range Snail Farming System. / Sebastian Suski: The Longest Cucumber In The World - Guinness World Records / Unbelievable: 100pcs Of Tubers Of Yam For N9,000...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.