Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Capital Punishment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Capital Punishment (3288 Views)

Poll: Capital punishment: for or against?

I love capital punishment: 33% (2 votes)
I don't like capital punishment: 66% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

The Solution To Corruption In Nigeria - Capital Punishment! / Imo To Build Second Varsity, Adopts Capital Punishment For Kidnappers / Capital Punishment: The Best Way to curb crime in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 11:46pm On Apr 12, 2008
Do you think that Nigeria should emulate most western nations and ban death sentence? On the other hand, do you think the death sentence in place for some crimes solved any problem since armed robbers increase everyday?

If you support the death sentence, do you also support th govt to add other crimes like drug peddling under the capital punishment like Buhari did?
Re: Capital Punishment by Seun(m): 11:53pm On Apr 12, 2008
Capital punishment should only be an option if all of the following apply:
- In cases of first degree murder.
- If there is overwhelming physical evidence supporting the conviction.
- If the victims (more than one) were tortured before they were killed.

Even in such cases, we should be careful because the death sentence is irreversible because: in countries like Nigeria, where the police is not equipped to properly investigate crime, it's very easy for an innocent person to be wrongly convicted. Better safe than sorry.
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

Do you think that Nigeria should emulate most western nations and ban death sentence? On the other hand, do you think the death sentence in place for some crimes solved any problem since armed robbers increase everyday?

If you support the death sentence, do you also support th govt to add other crimes like drug peddling under the capital punishment like Buhari did?

As someone who is 100% for capital punishment and someone who is not even anti-west, I don't believe Nigeria should try to do every thing as the west does it. It may not make sense to many in the west that capital punishment remain an option, I believe we have yet to see even close to 50% benefit from such a ban in the west and so there is no information to support that being the right choice or best way to go at all.
Re: Capital Punishment by doyin13(m): 12:16am On Apr 13, 2008
It is one method of population culling. . . . .Whats not to like?
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On Apr 13, 2008
doyin13:

It is one method of population culling. . . . .Whats not to like?

pssst** , I completely agree, I just didn't want to be the one to post it being that some already think I me a wicked racist , LMAO!!
Re: Capital Punishment by doyin13(m): 12:33am On Apr 13, 2008
Kobojunkie:

pssst** , I completely agree, I just didn't want to be the one to post it being that some already think I me a wicked racist , LMAO!!

Are you trying to say you love black people undecided tongue grin
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 12:40am On Apr 13, 2008
Capital punishment in Nigeria? Can it ever be abolished?
It seems u guys have forgotten jungle justice that is widely accepted in Nigeria.
That alone is capital punishment. . . . . .
Re: Capital Punishment by Seun(m): 12:45am On Apr 13, 2008
The question is should it be abolished, not can it.
Make your own judgment of what is right and tell us.

I for one would not like to be responsible for the hanging
of an innocent person based on circumstantial evidence.
Re: Capital Punishment by 4Play(m): 12:52am On Apr 13, 2008
A measure is only as good as its usefulness.A punishment that fails to deter or prevent crime is clearly not working.

The US has the highest murder rate in the Western world despite retaining the death penalty.Nigeria's armed robbery rate hasn't reduced one jot since we introduced capital punishment for armed robbers.

Surely,the execution of innocents should move us to see that this draconian punishment is beyond the pale for any civilized people.
Re: Capital Punishment by doyin13(m): 1:00am On Apr 13, 2008
4 Play:

A measure is only as good as its usefulness.A punishment that fails to deter or prevent crime is clearly not working.

The US has the highest murder rate in the Western world despite retaining the death penalty.Nigeria's armed robbery rate hasn't reduced one jot since we introduced capital punishment for armed robbers.

Surely,the execution of innocents should move us to see that this draconian punishment is beyond the pale for any civilized people.

@4play

That is if the aim of punishment is a simply to deter aspiriing criminals.

I have come to realise that symbolism, entertainment of the macabre kind, retribution, all come into play with the death penalty.

The spectators shall not be denied and the victims must draw retributive comfort.
Re: Capital Punishment by Nobody: 1:16am On Apr 13, 2008
Easy to say no to capital punishment if you are not at the receiving end of some wicked man killing your whole family (God forbid) or some kind of absurd atrocity with no sign of remorse on the killer's part, I would definitely want that killer dead before daybreak. So as for me it's yes to capital punishment for gruesome acts like the things above. As for drug peddling, rotting in jail is enough punishment for me.
Re: Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 1:21am On Apr 13, 2008
Easy to say no to capital punishment if you are not at the receiving end of some wicked man killing your whole family (God forbid) or some kind of absurd atrocity with no sign of remorse on the killer's part, I would definitely want that killer dead before daybreak. So as for me it's yes to capital punishment for gruesome acts like the things above. As for drug peddling, rotting in jail is enough punishment for me.
Didn't Gandhi say that an eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind? It's only the US that still has capital punishment among the first worlds and their crime rate is obviously higher. I think armed robbers in Nigeria will be more subtle if the capital punishment is out of their way.
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Apr 13, 2008
4 Play:

Is punishment only meant to deter or prevent crime or punishment mainly the consequence of an action?? I would consider punishment penalty for wrongdoing.  I don't believe capital punishment is necessarily going to prevent crime but I believe it has it's place as reward/penalty for the crime.

Needlelady:

Didn't Gandhi say that an eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind? It's only the US that still has capital punishment among the first worlds and their crime rate is obviously higher. I think armed robbers in Nigeria will be more subtle if the capital punishment is out of their way.

Who is Ghandi?? Are his words final for the human race?? I think it is faulty thinking to assume punishing criminals is only to deter or reduce crime rate cause we all know that is not the case in most all countries around the world. Speaking of capital punishment, Japan just executed 4 people this week and crime rate in that country is not even half as high as it is in Nigeria either. Should that then be argument for capital punishment??
Re: Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 1:25am On Apr 13, 2008
By Seun,
Capital punishment should only be an option if all of the following apply:
- In cases of first degree murder.
- If there is overwhelming physical evidence supporting the conviction.
- If the victims (more than one) were tortured before they were killed.

Even in such cases, we should be careful because the death sentence is irreversible because: in countries like Nigeria, where the police is not equipped to properly investigate crime, it's very easy for an innocent person to be wrongly convicted. Better safe than sorry.
Your footnote is enough to reconsider this capital punishment thing because it's better to let a criminal go scotfree than punish an innocent person. Besides, deathrow inmates are kept for years in the US before execution to insure 90% accuracy(after several appeals) but  they are easily killed in Nigeria before dusk. If people are left for years in Nigerian deathrow before execution, Ken Saro Wiwa would've been alive today.
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 1:28am On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

Your footnote is enough to reconsider this capital punishment thing because it's better to let a criminal go scotfree than punish an innocent person. Besides, deathrow inmates are kept for years in the US before execution to insure 90% accuracy(after several appeals) but they are easily killed in Nigeria before dusk. If people are left for years in Nigerian deathrow before execution, Ken Saro Wiwa would've been alive today.

Why bother locking them up at all when you could potentially be locking up an innocent man?? Why not let them all rome free out of fear that we may purnish the innocent?? Come on!! I mean there have been cases where innocent men have spent decades of their lives in jail only to be freed later on. Spread the fear even further and let's just not lock anyone up. Heck no punishment just cause
Re: Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 1:30am On Apr 13, 2008
As someone who is 100% for capital punishment and someone who is not even anti-west, I don't believe Nigeria should try to do every thing as the west does it. It may not make sense to many in the west that capital punishment remain an option, I believe we have yet to see even close to 50% benefit from such a ban in the west and so there is no information to support that being the right choice or best way to go at all.

Do you know that capital punishment has serial consequences? Most armed robbers in Nigeria showcase their brutality because they know the severe consequences if caught and capital punishment is a way to take them out of their misery as quick as possible. Wouldn't it be better to punish someone by living him/her fiorever in jail than taking him/her out of the misery through quick death?
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 1:32am On Apr 13, 2008
Capital punishment should be abolished. . . . It stinks.
No individual or group of individuals have the right to take the life of any human.
A man commits murder? Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life.

The purpose of practising capital punishment in USA/Nigeria has been defeated cos it doesn't serve as a deterrent to aspiring murderers!!!
Matter of fact, it seems countries that practice capital punishment produce more serial killers/drug dealers.
So much for the Human Rights Act that America always rant about!!!!

@ Kobojunkie,

U ask why lock em up? I ask why kill em?
Killing em aint gonna bring the dead victims back, will it?
Re: Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 1:35am On Apr 13, 2008
Why bother locking them up at all when you could potentially be locking up an innocent man?? Why not let them all rome free out of fear that we may purnish the innocent?? Come on!! I mean there have been cases where innocent men have spent decades of their lives in jail only to be freed later on. Spread the fear even further and let's just not lock anyone up. Heck no punishment just cause
You remain adamant in an issue that can make somebody useless over a simple mistake. I don't think you'll be singing the same song if  your relation or you falls into that loophole. It's easier for us to cast stones when we are in the clear. I have a friend who supported Bush even when he is farting in  her face but when she lost a relation in the Iraq war, her story and ideology changed.
Re: Capital Punishment by Needlelady(f): 1:36am On Apr 13, 2008
No individual or group of individuals have the right to take the life of any human.

The purpose of practising capital punishment in USA/Nigeria has been defeated because it doesn't serve as a deterrent to aspiring murderers!!!
Matter of fact, it seems countries that practice capital punishment produce more serial killers/drug dealers.

@ Kobojunkie,

You ask why lock em up? I ask why kill em?
Killing em aint going to bring the dead victims back, will it?

Tell them jackal. 5 stars.
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 1:44am On Apr 13, 2008
In all honesty, i just think American Civil Liberties Union aint doing enough protecting the rights of individuals.
This is one of the reasons i can't stand USA . . . The whole system sucks.
The system sends a criminal into Prison and he comes out as an animal. . . . They are never reformed.
They release a more hardened lag into the system only to commit again in a matter of weeks.
America's re-offending rate will make the Israelites in the wilderness look like complete saints.
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 1:45am On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

Do you know that capital punishment has serial consequences? Most armed robbers in Nigeria showcase their brutality because they know the severe consequences if caught and capital punishment is a way to take them out of their misery as quick as possible. Wouldn't it be better to punish someone by living him/her fiorever in jail than taking him/her out of the misery through quick death?

Well,  why deny them what they want?? If death is what they want, then give it to them. I don't think it is better to punish anyone by living him forever in jail, catering to him during that time. I say if death is what they want, then give it to em and save society millions of dollars in the process.

Jackal.:

The purpose of practising capital punishment in USA/Nigeria has been defeated because it doesn't serve as a deterrent to aspiring murderers!!!

@ Kobojunkie,
You ask why lock em up? I ask why kill em?
Killing em aint going to bring the dead victims back, will it?

The claims in bold are not even close to true. Please do your research. Japan still has capital punishment legal and alive and well. And Japan also happens to have one of the lowest crime rates in the world. You are trying too hard to link ban on capital punishment to lower crime rate and it does not work at all cause that is not even the case in the world out there. States in America that have bans on capital punishment still have high crime rates compared to the rest of the world. Please do some research for crying out loud. I say kill them cause they asked for it. They even went ahead and commited crime knowing full well what the reward/penalty for such is. Why think you know better by denying them what they ask for in this case?
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 1:46am On Apr 13, 2008
Jackal.:

In all honesty, i just think American Civil Liberties Union aint doing enough protecting the rights of individuals.
This is one of the reasons i can't stand USA . . . The whole system sucks.
The system sends a criminal into Prison and he comes out as an animal. . . . They are never reformed.
They release a more hardened lag into the system only to commit again in a matter of weeks.
America's re-offending rate will make the Israelites in the wilderness look like complete saints.

This is just rubbish,  go back and do some research!!

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/y/homicide.htm
http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/reference/crime_world.html
Re: Capital Punishment by lucabrasi(m): 1:53am On Apr 13, 2008
violence will only  induce more violence,i think it should be totally abolished and the right realist system of tackling crime should be thrown in the bin as well,it didnt deter or eradicate crime in new york and other places it was practiced so i dont see it working in nigeria
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On Apr 13, 2008
Needlelady:

You remain adamant in an issue that can make somebody useless over a simple mistake. I don't think you'll be singing the same song if  your relation or you falls into that loophole. It's easier for us to cast stones when we are in the clear. I have a friend who supported Bush even when he is farting in  her face but when she lost a relation in the Iraq war, her story and ideology changed.

Good for you but that does not mean we should all run in fear of punishing the innocent into a paralyzed state. We owe it to society to punish all crimes and if the person is found guilty, it is up to government to ensure that justice is served and that the punishment fits the crime. In the first of first degree murder, if a person knowing that death is the consequence and decides to take the life of another, I am all for society demanding the penalty be his own life.

Like I have mentioned earlier, punishing crime is not necessarily best seen as way of detering future crimes but more of societies way of penalizing those who see it as their place and right to trample on the right of others and the laws of the land. There is no definitely research out there that proves or supports the claim that no death penalty equals less crime. None. Even here in the USA, some states have a ban on it and crime in those states remain high compared with many other places in the world. South Africa happens to be one of the countries with no Capital punishment but homocide rates in that country remains extremely high if not the highest in the world today.
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 2:00am On Apr 13, 2008
Kobojunkie:

This is just rubbish, go back and do some research!!

What a heap of applesauce!!!!

I dont need to do any research to tackle u on capital punishment.
Dont even bring Japan into this cos we are talking about countries that rant about Human Rights.
If European countries and the UK can abolish capital punishment, i see no reason why America should not follow suit.
It's a shame that things normally take 5 centuries to change in the USA. . . . .It took em 300 years to abolish slavery when most countries in the western world changed their stand on it.

Keep killing lags. . . . how has it reduced the crime rate?
More violence in the prisons. . . . prison rape, assaults, thuggery, etc is what u get.
People that are supposed to be reformed go back into the system meaner than before and they re-offend in a matter of weeks.
How has ur capital punishment worked for y'all?
Buncha murderers!!!
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Apr 13, 2008
Jackal.:

What a heap of applesauce!!!!

I don't need to do any research to tackle u on capital punishment.
Dont even bring Japan into this because we are talking about countries that rant about Human Rights.
If European countries and the UK can abolish capital punishment, i see no reason why America should not follow suit.

Maybe not all americans judge or see human right as you do. Human right demands justice be served and honoring the right and demand of the murders is actually part of parcel of human rights move as well. Should we deny them what they want cause we have convinced ourselves in our heads that we know better for them?? Isn't that the problem with the whole ONE SIDED approach to human right? I am all for human right, the right of the criminals to get what they deserve. That should be top on the list as well, LMAO!!

It's a shame that things normally take 5 centuries to change in the USA. . . . .It took em 300 years to abolish slavery when most countries in the western world changed their stand on it.

Keep killing lags. . . . how has it reduced the crime rate?

Again, if you check the meaning of the word punishment or capital punishment itself. There is no part of it that says it is to reduce crime rate. That is actually your own personally inclusion and not part of what punishing crime is all about in the real.

More violence in the prisons. . . . prison rape, assaults, thuggery, etc is what u get.
People that are supposed to be reformed go back into the system meaner than before and they re-offend in a matter of weeks.
How has your capital punishment worked for y'all?
Buncha murderers!!!

So your own idea of human rights is essentially calling for us not to lock up prisoners at all?? BRILLIAnT I TELL YA, YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!! LMAO!!!
[quote][/quote]
Re: Capital Punishment by 4Play(m): 2:08am On Apr 13, 2008
doyin13:

@4play

That is if the aim of punishment is a simply to deter aspiriing criminals.

I have come to realise that symbolism, entertainment of the macabre kind, retribution, all come into play with the death penalty.
The spectators shall not be denied and the victims must draw retributive comfort.

I don't think most people would agree that "symbolism,macabre entertainment and retribution" should be determining factors as to whether a human being's life should be terminated.We might as well reinstate the Roman Empire's gladiator events.

The only worthy pertinent factor from the aforementioned is "retribution" but one has to wonder whether a termination of life is a harder punishment to bear for a criminal than the prospect of spending a lifetime behind bars.

One important point is also lost;the criminal justice system is not a 100% efficient.Innocent people,especially in a place like Nigeria,are regularly at the receiving end of undeserved punishment.Capital punishment applies an irreversible punishment in a system notorious for its glaring errors.
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 2:15am On Apr 13, 2008
@ Kobojunkie,

Your level of comprehension is appaling.
Where did i say criminals shouldn't be locked up? Of course they should be punished for their crimes but DON'T KILL EM.
American judges are just savages, they are animals!!!
I stand on the side that it is morally wrong to KILL.

Ohhh Maaaa Daysssssssssss, You are a bigger clown than i thunk.
What's the essence of practising capital punishment if its not to serve as a deterrent? Is it a TV show?
I insist the purpose of practising it has been defeated in a country like the USA.
How is your government different from the murderers who killed in the 1st place?
The grotesque thang about it is some Americans actually leave their residence to watch people executed. . . Buncha sadistic twats!!!!
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 2:21am On Apr 13, 2008
Jackal.:

@ Kobojunkie,

Your level of comprehension is appaling.
Where did i say criminals shouldn't be locked up? Of course they should be punished for their crimes but DON'T KILL EM.
American judges are just savages, they are animals!!!
I stand on the side that it is morally wrong to KILL.

EXCUSEZ MOI,  but you pointed out them being in Jail and being violent even there,  I am sorry if I interpreted that, following your own logic so far, to meaning that you are against them being locked up in jail so the violence and rape does not continue , LMAO!!!  Well,  I am glad you have your own idea of what morality is and I have mine. So I stand on the side that it is MORALLY RIGHT to KILL MURDERS( serving their human right to get the just reward for their action(crime)), LMAO!!! ( seriously hoping we try to drag God into this ) LMAO!!

Jackal.:

Ohhh Maaaa Daysssssssssss, You are a bigger clown than i thunk.
What's the essence of practising capital punishment if its not to serve as a deterrent? Is it a TV show?
I insist the purpose of practising it has been defeated in a country like the USA.
How is your government different from the murderers who killed in the 1st place?

uuummm,  Capital Punishment is a form of punishment and I don't know if you punish your kids for entertainment or on TV shows, LMAO!!! You can insist all you want fact remains there is no solid proof of such claims and so you are just trying to connect invisible dots where no point exists. Government serves the people,  murderers do not. Do I need to give you a lecture on government now??LMAO!!!
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 2:29am On Apr 13, 2008
@ Kobojunkie,

U just don't get it, do u?

When u have a system that permits capital punishment. . . . . the prison is always going to be violent.
Prisoners will have that violent mentality. . . . what do u expect from a death row inmate? He is going to be killed anyways so why not kill a few before his number is called. . . .This is why American prison system is full of filth.
Let it be known that few innocent people are caught in the ugly schitzo as well. . . . How is that an effective measure?

Compare European prison systems to yours and u will weep for America.
Why kill a serial killer? Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life. . . . . .That is enough punishment.
Taking a man's freedom would hurt a man more than sitting him on an electric chair!!!!!!
Re: Capital Punishment by Jackal1(m): 2:34am On Apr 13, 2008
U keep missing the point like a free-throw shot!!!

A man goes on a shooting spree and kill innocent citizens. . . He gets arrested, charged n sentenced to DEATH.
He gets killed for killing people. . . . He is a murderer, your government is also a murderer.
Do u get it now? How is your government different to the criminal. . . . . Both of em are murderers.
Blimey, even Jesus Christ forgave the killers on the cross!!!!
Re: Capital Punishment by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Apr 13, 2008
Jackal.:

@ Kobojunkie,

You just don't get it, do u?

When u have a system that permits capital punishment. . . . . the prison is always going to be violent.
Prisoners will have that violent mentality. . . . what do u expect from a death row inmate? He is going to be killed anyways so why not kill a few before his number is called. . . .This is why American prison system is full of filth.
Let it be known that few innocent people are caught in the ugly schitzo as well. . . . How is that an effective measure?

Compare European prison systems to yours and u will weep for America.
Why kill a serial killer? Let him rot in jail for the rest of his life. . . . . .That is enough punishment.
Taking a man's freedom would hurt a man more than sitting him on an electric chair!!!!!!

But Jackal,  There is NO DATA That supports your claim that violence in prisons are commited mostly by death-row inmates. There is no direct correlation between prisoners being violent and deathrow. Why would you conclude that is the case though?? Majority of the violence in prisons is not from prisoners on death-row and I believe many of the death-row inmates would take offence for you making such an unsubstantiated claim.

The prison system have over 2 million prisoners in jail, of whom only a few hundred are actually in on death-row. http://www.ccadp.org/inmates.htm (feel free to count them) http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=9&did=188 .

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=9&did=188#year

I seriously urge you to research these things.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=1397

I included this last one here so you pay particular attention to the months spent on death row information as many of those on death row today have been on the list of those on death row for over 10 years. It is easy to assume the numbers are growing without understanding that many of those who are there today have been there over 10 years. Some going on 20 years that they have been on that list.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Privatisation Has Failed, Says Jonathan / Kaduna Government Reduces Curfew From 24hrs To 1pm - 5pm / Peter Obi Is Doing A Good Job In Onitsha.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.