Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG (18992 Views)

Cancellation Of 2nd Choice Option In JAMB UTME 2014 / Nigeria UTME Candidates Download Cheat-sheets And Answers Through Mobile Phones / Yabatech 2010 Utme Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 28, 2013
1.2 M UTME Candidates Won't Gain Admission - FG

The Federal Government on Saturday said of the 1,735,720 students  that registered for this year's Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, only 520,000 will gain admission.

Addressing journalists at the Federal Government College, Suleja, Niger State, after monitoring the examination, Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufai, blamed this on the low-carrying capacity of the tertiary institutions in Nigeria.

She said, "The major challenge is a country like Nigeria having 1.7 million sitting for examination. The space we have is 520,000 for federal, states, private universities, polytechnics and colleges of education.

"If one million passed, what are we going to do with the rest 500,000? We will not expand the carrying capacity without expanding the facilities.

"What are we going to do with the large number of  students out there? I feel the pain. Mr. President is very much concerned. If you have students that have passed examination and they cannot have access, you can imagine their thought in the long run."

Rufai called on private firms and individuals to invest in tertiary education.

Responding to a question on the high fees charged by private universities, she said the legal department was looking into the ministry's right to challenge the fees.

Although she agreed that private investors had the right to recoup their money, the minister said government would consider legal options to regulate the situation.

The minister also denied knowledge of any White Paper recommending the scrapping of the UTME and the National Examination Council.

She said, "It has become a very controversial issue. I have made a statement before the National Assembly that the Federal Government has a white paper on this. I'm not aware that NECO and JAMB will be scrapped. If we are not aware, what are we going to make an analysis out of? Government has not taken decision on that."

Rufai further blamed improper shading of answer sheets by candidates for non-release of their results.

"If they don't shade their papers correctly, they may not have results," she added.

Meanwhile, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has arrested a middle-aged man who was identified as Isaac, for alleged impersonation at one of the Dual Based Test centres in Abuja.

The JAMB Registrar/Chief Executive. Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, said the registration number on his slip and answer sheet did not tally.

"The owner of the slip is from Enugu. He came here  to impersonate another person. He had been handed over to civil defence who will hand him over to the police," he said.

Meanwhile, no fewer than nine candidates were feared dead, while six were injured in an auto crash on the Aba-Port Harcourt Expressway on Friday.

The victims were said to be on their way to their examinations centre.

Police Public Relations Officer, Abia State Command, Mr. Geoffrey Ogbonna, confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Aba.

He said seven persons including the driver died instantly, while two others died later in hospital.

Ogbonna said the candidates were travelling on a Hiace bus with number plate Rivers XY 249.

He explained that the driver, around 10.40am rammed into a truck with number plate Lagos XC 109 SLK, which was parked off the road at Obeaku-Ihie, Ugwunagbor Local Government Area of Abia State.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/1-2-m-utme-candidates-wont-gain-admission-fg/
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 28, 2013
Too bad!
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by usomine007(m): 11:09am On Apr 28, 2013
Jamb is just another money making venture for the FG...waste of precious time.I just pity the poor candidates

3 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Onyiclassic(f): 11:09am On Apr 28, 2013
kai
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by mebad(m): 11:09am On Apr 28, 2013
space still reserved.. i neva ready talk
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by tonididdy(m): 11:10am On Apr 28, 2013
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 28, 2013
Sad but true.... Thank God I gained admission years ago.
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Appliedmaths(m): 11:13am On Apr 28, 2013
Joke of the decade.Then why did you rguster them in the first place?,oh I get it na to coner money 4 d govt abi...*shame!

1 Like

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Appliedmaths(m): 11:13am On Apr 28, 2013
Joke of the decade.Then why did you register them in the first place?,oh I get it na to coner money 4 d govt abi...*shame!
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by mozinta: 11:13am On Apr 28, 2013
Nigerian Youths,which ways? Now we are starring in our own movie...it is either we are gaining or loosing,never get the matter confusing...
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by launique: 11:13am On Apr 28, 2013
smh so sad
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Missonas(f): 11:14am On Apr 28, 2013
FG knew dat only 520,000 wud most lykly be admitted and yet sold d forms to abt 1.7m candidates?height of insentivity on the masses!and they tawking abt mega universities when they cant even manage the mini ones we have.yea ryt mr president is concerned bt wat will dat do 2d studnts dat studied hard,passed and would still be denied admission?

3 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by tspun(m): 11:16am On Apr 28, 2013
we are use to it. There is no bad news dats is new in nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 28, 2013
And this woman opened that A.NUS she calls Mouth,Shamelessly to Announce that the tertiary Institutions can't take more than 500K. Who's fault is it then? The students i presume... Some people just dont know how to Talk.
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by OmolodMilkman93(m): 11:17am On Apr 28, 2013
It is a dismal bismal, It is regrettably lugubrious that in a country so blessed with milk and honey(oil), the future of the youths is threatened by lack of educational facilities.

2 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by tohirah(f): 11:18am On Apr 28, 2013
Hmmmmmm ......... And they expect me to read for jamb when after passing jamb sef,there is no assurance. So tired of this country. Calling private sector to intervene; I wonder how many jamb applicants can afford the private universities
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by jossy26: 11:23am On Apr 28, 2013
Open and distance learning all the way, that's what the developed countries are doing. Effective online technology, prompt customer service etc are the necessary tools required to succeed in such system. The NOUN is a good idea, FG needs to pump more money into it to be more effective and in turn gives more students access to higher education

1 Like

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by gysl1973: 11:24am On Apr 28, 2013
ABEG WHO GET LINK OF HOW TO JOIN MILITANT? I HEAR SAY ONE KIDNAPPING FIRM DEY RECRUIT FOR DELTA
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by ujchief(m): 11:25am On Apr 28, 2013
I remember last year the vice chancellor of Unizik decrying the inability of qualified students gaining admission due to the strict restriction and quota given to them by the NUC. Its unfair that students who have met all the criteria for gaining admission cannot be admitted based on the quota system. He gave an instance using the law faculty of the school, where the NUC mandated that not more than 110 students will be admitted whereas over 200 students qualified for the admission.
The NUC should look into this. Some universities have the capacity to admit more students but are forced to admit within the allocated quota of each department.

The system needs to be reviewed already. I recommended that students be admitted per semester, where we will have two streams per academic year. By so doing, more students will be admitted.

2 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by gen2briz(m): 11:29am On Apr 28, 2013
Make the remaining 1millon plus go form a militant group,at least our shoeless president go grant them amnesty and their salary go dey okay pass people wey graduate

2 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by kaysy(m): 11:31am On Apr 28, 2013
Wow!... That's too bad

Good Luck to all JAMB 2013 Candidates, those that chose Yabatech as their choice of school should click this link below to Join our Online Community Forum

http://www.facebook.com/events/146026642232769/

Meet All Yabatech Post UTME 2013 Applicants and share Information. Good Luck
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 28, 2013
So what's the moral of this Lesson?

We av a larger population that's unemployed.
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by sholay2011(m): 11:34am On Apr 28, 2013
Goddamnit!!! This is sad. I think the Nigerian populace nneds to be reorientated about education.

Not everyone is created to have BSc or HND in life. And that doesn't mean they are lesser beings. Some have skills, talents and stunning abilities that can only be developed outside the 4 walls of a lecture room.

What happened to vocational trainings, talent agencies and so on? And the discrimination of people that attend thses places shud be cropped to encourage footballers-to-be, actors-to-be, IT gurus-to-be and so on to flex their abilities and intellects.

Most successful Hollywood actors didn't attend a University. Most arsenal players that some old men here in naija would almost give themselves heart attack over while watching their game didn't go to Harvard or Oxford University to get a degree so they won't be crucified by the society for not being graduates.

Education is wonderful 'cos we can't do without our doctors, agriculturists, engineers, accountants and even, some of us won't know how to speak and write correct English, but it isn't meant for everybody!

17 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Odunharry(m): 11:34am On Apr 28, 2013
and how do they expect student to feel?it means the rest 1.2m will cme back again addng to the numbr of those who will sit for the exam cme next year..this is not encouraging at all,what is nuc,fme n the govt doing abt it.
Anyway,it survival of the fittest
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Odunharry(m): 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
ya,sch is not for evrybody but who no like be graduate?evrybody wan get kpali evn celebrity too
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by ZN2: 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
It's not about calling on the private firms to just "set up universities" per se.

Because in the end, the school fees would still be so high that a lot of them can't afford it (especially with the private institutions).
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by donwilly3: 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
i no no wetin i go do now e be lyk say i go run go ghana or gambia go 4 ma university
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by ujchief(m): 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
gysl1973: ABEG WHO GET LINK OF HOW TO JOIN MILITANT? I HEAR SAY ONE KIDNAPPING FIRM DEY RECRUIT FOR DELTA

Click here to download the form;

www.foolsparadise.com

Thank me later
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by churific(m): 11:39am On Apr 28, 2013
Nigeria and their ways...The educational system is shit and needs to change.

How can you deny admission to 1.2 Million serious students as if they're getting their education for free?

In the United States, no matter how poor you do on any entrance examination, there's always a school willing to accept and educate you because they know how important it is for everyone to be educated AT THE RIGHT TIME.

By the age of 23, I already have 2 bachelor degrees and 1 Masters and you have people in Nigeria still struggling in their late 20s just to enter university.

THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE!
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2013
Untill the majority who are still at it got to undstnd with a changed mind-set, that skill acquisition and professional exams could also fuel ur dream, until they realised dt ur talents pushes u better than anything else, we will never get anywhere!
Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by ednut1(m): 11:47am On Apr 28, 2013
what are dey doin wit d 6k 4rm jamb form times 1.7m, education tax nd education trust fund, 9ja we hail

2 Likes

Re: 1.2M JAMB-UTME Candidates Won't Have Admission - FG by Dkobo(m): 11:49am On Apr 28, 2013
Thank God am a business man!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tragedy As LAUTECH Final Year Student Dies A Day To Project Defense / ASUU: FG Set To Release N23bn To University Lecturers – Education Minister / See Senate’s Motion On LAUTECH Strike (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.