Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? (52319 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. / Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by nurus: 8:23am On Apr 28, 2013
Fellow Nigerian Citizens,

On behalf of the patriotic and well-meaning peoples of the Middle Belt and the southern parts of this country, I , Major Gideon Orkar, wish to happily inform you of the successful ousting of the dictatorial, corrupt, drug baronish, evil man, deceitful, homo-sexually-c­­entered, prodigalistic, un-patriotic administration of General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida.

We have equally commenced their trials for unabated corruption, mismanagement of national economy, the murders of Dele Giwa, Major-General Mamman Vasta, with other officers as there was no attempted coup but mere intentions that were yet to materialize and other human rights violations.

The National Guard already in its formative stage is disbanded with immediate effect. Decrees Number 2 and 46 are hereby abrogated. We wish to emphasize that this is not just another coup but a well-conceived,­­ planned and executed revolution for the marginalized, oppressed and enslaved peoples of the Middle Belt and the south with a view to freeing ourselves and children yet unborn from eternal slavery and colonization by a clique of this country.

Our history is replete with numerous and uncontrollable instances of callous and insensitive dominatory repressive intrigues by those who think it is their birthright to dominate till eternity the political and economic privileges of this great country to the exclusion of the people of the Middle Belt and the south.

They have almost succeeded in subjugating the Middle Belt and making them voiceless and now extending same to the south.

It is our unflinching belief that this quest for domination, oppression and marginalization­­ is against the wish of God and therefore, must be resisted with the vehemence.

Anything that has a beginning must have an end. It will also suffice here to state that all Nigerians without skeleton in their cupboards need not to be afraid of this change. However, those with skeleton in their cupboards have all reasons to fear, because the time of reckoning has come.

For the avoidance of doubt, we wish to state the three primary reasons why we have decided to oust the satanic Babangida administration.­­ The reasons are as follows:

(a) To stop Babangida’s desire to cunningly, install himself as Nigeria’s life president at all costs and by so doing, retard the progress of this country for life. In order to be able to achieve this undesirable goals of his, he has evidently started destroying those groups and sections he perceived as being able to question his desires.

Examples of groups already neutralized, pitched against one another or completely destroyed are:

(1) The Sokoto caliphate by installing an unwanted Sultan to cause division within the hitherto strong Sokoto caliphate.

(2) The destruction of the peoples of Plateau State, especially the Lantang people, as a balancing force in the body politics of this country.

(3) The buying of the press by generous monetary favors and the usage of State Security Service, SSS, as a tool of terror.

(4) The intent to cow the students by the promulgation of the draconian decree Number 47.

(5) The cowing of the university teaching and non-teaching staff by an intended massive purge, using the 150 million dollar loan as the necessitating factor.

(6) Deliberately withholding funds to the armed forces to make them ineffective and also crowning his diabolical scheme through the intended retrenchment of more than half of the members of the armed forces.

Other pointers that give credence to his desire to become a life president against the wishes of the people are:

(1) His appointment of himself as a minister of defense, his putting under his direct control the SSS, his deliberate manipulation of the transition programme, his introduction of inconceivable, unrealistic and impossible political options, his recent fraternization with other African leaders that have installed themselves as life presidents and his dogged determination to create a secret force called the national guard, independent of the armed forces and the police which will be answerable to himself alone, both operationally and administrativel­­y.

It is our strong view that this kind of dictatorial desire of Babangida is unacceptable to Nigerians of the 1990’s, and, therefore, must be resisted by all.

Another major reason for the change is the need to stop intrigues, domination and internal colonization of the Nigerian state by the so-called chosen few. This, in our view, has been and is still responsible for 90 percent of the problems of Nigerians.

This indeed has been the major clog in our wheel of progress.

This clique has an unabated penchant for domination and unrivalled fostering of mediocrity and outright detest for accountability,­­ all put together have been our undoing as a nation.

This will ever remain our threat if not checked immediately. It is strongly believed that without the intrigues perpetrated by this clique and misrule, Nigeria will have in all ways achieved developmental virtues comparable to those in Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, India, and even Japan.

Evidence, therefore, this cancerous dominance has as a factor constituted by a major and unpardonable clog in the wheel of progress of the Nigerian state. It is suffice to mention a few distasteful intrigues engineered by this group of Nigerians in recent past. These are:

(1) The shabby and dishonorable treatment meted on the longest serving Nigerian general in the person of General Domkat Bali, who in actual fact had given credibility to the Babangida administration.

(2) The wholesale hijacking of Babangida’s administration by the all-powerful clique.

(3) The disgraceful and inexplicable removal of Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe, Professor Tam David-West, Mr. Aret Adams and so on from office.

(4) The now-pervasive and on-going retrenchment of Middle Belt and southerners from public offices and their instant replacement by the favoured class and their stooges.

(5) The deliberate disruption of the educational culture and retarding its place to suit the favoured class to the detriment of other educational minded parts of this country.

(6) The deliberate impoverishment of the peoples from the Middle Belt and the south, making them working ghosts and feeding on the formulae of 0-1-1- or 0-0-0 while the aristocratic class and their stooges are living in absolute affluence on a daily basis without working for it.

(7) Other countless examples of the exploitative, oppressive, dirty games of intrigues of its class, where people and stooges that can best be described by the fact that even though they contribute very little economically to the well-being of Nigeria, they have over the years served and presided over the supposedly national wealth derived in the main from the Middle Belt and the southern part of this country, while the people from these parts of the country have been completely deprived from benefiting from the resources given to them by God.

(cool The third reason for the change is the need to lay a strong egalitarian foundation for the real democratic take off of the Nigerian state or states as they circumstances may dictate.

In the light of all the above and in recognition of the negativeness of the aforementioned aristocratic factor, the overall progress of the Nigerian state a temporary decision to excise the following states namely, Sokoto, Borno, Katsina, Kano and Bauchi states from the Federal Republic of Nigeria comes into effect immediately until the following conditions are met.

The conditions to be met to necessitate the re-absorption of the aforementioned states are as following:

(a) To install the rightful heir to the Sultanate, Alhaji Maccido, who is the people’s choice.

(b) To send a delegation led by the real and recognized Sultan Alhaji Maccido to the federal government to vouch that the feudalistic and aristocratic quest for domination and operation will be a thing of the past and will never be practiced in any part of the Nigeria state.

By the same token, all citizens of the five states already mentioned are temporarily suspended from all public and private offices in Middle Belt and southern parts of this country until the mentioned conditions above are met.

They are also required to move back to their various states within one week from today. They will, however, be allowed to return and joint the Federal Republic of Nigeria when the stipulated conditions are met.

In the same vein, all citizens of the Middle Belt and the south are required to come back to their various states pending when the so-called all-in-all Nigerians meet the conditions that will ensure a united Nigeria. A word is enough for the wise.

This exercise will not be complete without purging corrupt public officials and recovering their ill-gotten wealth, since the days of the oil boom till date. Even in these hard times, when Nigerians are dying from hunger, trekking many miles to work for lack of transportation,­­ a few other Nigerians with complete impunity are living in unbelievable affluence both inside and outside the country.

We are extremely determined to recover all ill-gotten wealth back to the public treasury for the use of the masses of our people. You are all advised to remain calm as there is no cause for alarm. We are fully in control of the situation as directed by God. All airports, seaports and borders are closed forthwith.

The former Armed Forces Ruling Council is now disbanded and replaced with National Ruling Council to be chaired by the head of state with other members being a civilian vice-head of state, service chiefs, inspector general of police, one representative each from NLC, NUJ, NBA, and NANS.

A curfew is hereby imposed from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice. All members of the armed forces and the police forces are hereby confined to their respective barracks.

All unlawful and criminal acts by those attempting to cause chaos will be ruthlessly crushed. Be warned as we are prepared at all costs to defend the new order.

All radio stations are hereby advised to hook on permanently to the national network programme until further notice.

Long live all true patriots of this great country of ours. May God and Allah through his bountiful mercies bless us all".

April 22,1990.
Lagos,Nigeria.
MAJOR GIDEON ORKAH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by luvablesam(m): 9:22am On Apr 28, 2013
Though i was a kid then i truly wishd this coup realy went thru.Naija wud av bin a beta place by nw trust me

11 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by White007(m): 10:17am On Apr 28, 2013
Same here. I was a kid then, but I could remember vividly all that happened then, and i was fortunate or should i say unfortunate to be in a military barrack then. We saw first hand all the intrigues, counter coup and power play that took place after Orkar's announcement. After the coup failed or look like it was gonna fail, we started seeing so many J5 buses abadoned inside and outside the barracks. A lot of military guys that partook in the coup were abandoning their military gears for civilian clothing. I happen to know a military family friend that partook in the coup ( Major Mukoro), he was later killed along with so many junior officers. It was a sad day for those brilliant young officers, and also a sad day for Nigeria.

I think the coup failed, cuz of those 5 northern state that Orkar mentioned in his broadcast. We remembered in the initial stage, it had popular support even within military, but all of sudden everything started collapsing. We heard Abacha has retaking the Bonny camp barracks, Doddan barracks and there was one Major Biu who took the ikeja cantonments and 242 recci battalion from the coup plotters.

Had it been successful, maybe Nigeria would have been a better Nation today. Look at 23 yrs after the failed coup, Nigeria is still deep in corruption, nepotism, lots of dishonesty, get-rich-quick syndrome, space age kleptomania, parochial tribalism/sectionalism, 'me first' syndrome, indiscipline everywhere.

What a pity !

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by nurus: 12:21pm On Apr 28, 2013
Moderator.This is an educative piece.Kindly move it to Front page.

3 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Btruth: 9:48am On Jul 31, 2013
cool
.........I'll be back.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by mondob2k(m): 10:58am On Nov 16, 2013
From that speech u know its already a failed coup. He hasn't gained full control and he's already seceded the north. Surely power brokers from there won't support his coup.

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by truefact: 11:12am On Nov 16, 2013
With this truth coming from MB, it's now evident, that the core north wanted to make the rest of Nigeria their slaves, thanks to the igbos for haven been always so opposed to the hausa-fulani.

9 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by citizenY(m): 11:30am On Nov 16, 2013
[b]On behalf of the patriotic and well-meaning peoples of the Middle Belt and the southern parts of this country, I , Major Gideon Orkar, wish to happily inform you of the successful ousting of the dictatorial, corrupt, drug baronish, evil man, deceitful, homo-sexually-c­­entered, prodigalistic, un-patriotic administratio[/b]n of General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida.

The guy derailed immediately he opened his mouth.

7 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by juman(m): 8:22pm On Nov 16, 2013
Hmmm.

One nigeria is nigeria's problem.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by GoldCircle: 5:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
But why did the coup fail? so many theories that do not address the question... I wish I could get an insider's perspective on why this coup failed.

was it in execution or in planning? I quite agree also that the opening line of Orkar's speech was insensitive. He would have left that out for subsequent speech.

your opinions though..

2 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 02, 2014
frontpage things. This guy sounded brilliant. one of the most courageous homo sapien that has existed. he refusedto escape even when he had d oppor. to.we need men like this. but ultimately..we al need Jesus-The Prince of peace

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by edo3(m): 7:30pm On Dec 02, 2014
I was a kid then just wakin up from mat when alarm blew,but then d military was all i ever wanted because of dat coup..I love adventures N challenges.. R.I.P Gideon.

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Blackfire(m): 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2014
[quote
author=truefact post=19576982]With this truth coming from MB, it's now
evident, that the core north wanted to make the rest of Nigeria their
slaves, thanks to the igbos for haven been always so opposed to the
hausa-fulani. [/quote]

there was a country...

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by chiboy11(m): 9:01pm On Dec 02, 2014
Whaoo so Educative,but y did d coup fail, caan any1 xpand on it beta

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by nickxtra(m): 9:45pm On Dec 02, 2014
White007:
Same here. I was a kid then, but I could remember vividly all that happened then, and i was fortunate or should i say unfortunate to be in a military barrack then. We saw first hand all the intrigues, counter coup and power play that took place after Orkar's announcement. After the coup failed or look like it was gonna fail, we started seeing so many J5 buses abadoned inside and outside the barracks. A lot of military guys that partook in the coup were abandoning their military gears for civilian clothing. I happen to know a military family friend that partook in the coup ( Major Mukoro), he was later killed along with so many junior officers. It was a sad day for those brilliant young officers, and also a sad day for Nigeria.

I think the coup failed, cuz of those 5 northern state that Orkar mentioned in his broadcast. We remembered in the initial stage, it had popular support even within military, but all of sudden everything started collapsing. We heard Abacha has retaking the Bonny camp barracks, Doddan barracks and there was one Major Biu who took the ikeja cantonments and 242 recci battalion from the coup plotters.

Had it been successful, maybe Nigeria would have been a better Nation today. Look at 23 yrs after the failed coup, Nigeria is still deep in corruption, nepotism, lots of dishonesty, get-rich-quick syndrome, space age kleptomania, parochial tribalism/sectionalism, 'me first' syndrome, indiscipline everywhere.

What a pity !
Point of correction, Major Umukoro was not killed. He, like Col. Nyiam, escaped to the U.S where he enroled into university lecturing and later became a Prof of Criminology in a university there. I think he should be the country now, since he has nothing to fear, as they were granted pardon by Gen. Abdusalam Abubakar. But for a few communication gap, the coup would have been a huge success. Although, I lost my step dad(staff Sergeant M. Adomokhai), who was one of the anchor men of the coup. He was executed along with the unlucky officers. One painful thing was that even when they(military police) came at night to arrest them in SIB, Ojo cantonment, he had every opportunity to escape, but being a galant officers that he was, he opted to face whatever penalty awaits others like him. When a guard asked him to leave that he, as the guard is willing to face any query for the escape, he declined and insisted that he is a gallant soldier and he would not retreat. He was actually the last soldier standing on the coup day. He was executed along with others. Rest in peace daddy Adomokhai, aka 'Bode'

15 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by pazienza(m): 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2014
Orka( corn) and his middle belt people were the agents of death unleashed on Igboland by the Northern-South west gang up. The bulk of the Nigerian Army that brought death to Biafra,were of middle belt origin, likewise their leader,Gowon.

I have no pity whatsoever for him,and those that got caught up in his coup. It was Karma that caught up with them all.

One Nigeria was built on the blood of Ndiigbo, and have since been sustained by the blood of those that helped create her.

5 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by iconize(m): 10:36pm On Dec 02, 2014
I think Naija would have been a better place if this coup had succeeded.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by GoldCircle: 9:21am On Dec 03, 2014
Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by jonnieoneng: 7:02am On Jan 19, 2016
[quote author=White007 post=15456307]Same here. I was a kid then, but I could remember vividly all that happened then, and i was fortunate or should i say unfortunate to be in a military barrack then. We saw first hand all the intrigues, counter coup and power play that took place after Orkar's announcement. After the coup failed or look like it was gonna fail, we started seeing so many J5 buses abadoned inside and outside the barracks. A lot of military guys that partook in the coup were abandoning their military gears for civilian clothing. I happen to know a military family friend that partook in the coup ( Major Mukoro), he was later killed along with so many junior officers. It was a sad day for those brilliant young officers, and also a sad day for Nigeria.

I think the coup failed, cuz of those 5 northern state that Orkar mentioned in his broadcast. We remembered in the initial stage, it had

Major Mukoro u mention is alive.He escaped becos he was a COWARD.U GOT UR FACTS VERY WRONG BRO,BE CAREFU

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by jonnieoneng: 7:23am On Jan 19, 2016
pazienza:
Orka( corn) and his middle belt people were the agents of death unleashed on Igboland by the Northern-South west gang up. The bulk of the Nigerian Army that brought death to Biafra,were of middle belt origin, likewise their leader,Gowon.

I have no pity whatsoever for him,and those that got caught up in his coup. It was Karma that caught up with them all.

One Nigeria was built on the blood of Ndiigbo, and have since been sustained by the blood of those that helped create her.

UNLEASHED ON IGBOLAND U SAID.IF NZEOGWU AND CO HADN'T PLANNED A ONE-SIDED COUP,THE STAGE 4 D WAR WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SET.ALSO, UR ANCESTORS TOT IT WISE TO INVADE THE NIGER DELTA AND MID WEST WHICH IS PART OF YORUBA LAND.U GUYS GOT WHAT U DESERVED.BY THOSE ACTIONS IT WAS CLEAR TO ALL DAT UR REAL MOTIVE WASN'T BIAFRA,BUT A TOTAL IGBO DOMINATION OF NIJA.IF OJUKWU HAD STOP AT PURELY IGBO LAND,HE MIGHT HAVE SUCCEEDED.BUT TYPICAL OF IGBOS U ALWAY THINK U ARE BETA THAN OTHERS.AND U AINT

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by jonnieoneng: 9:33am On Jan 19, 2016
chiboy11:

I AM NOT AN AUTHORITY WHEN IT COMES TO DIS MATAS,BUT I HAVE COMMON SENSE.THE COMMON SENSE TELLS ME THAT THE COUP FAILED BECOS OF THE FOLLOWING
1.IT WAS HASTLY PLANNED AND EXECUTED.UNLIKE OTHERS WE HAVE WITNESSED.
2.D PLOTTERS DID NOT CAPTURE OR KILL D MAIN PILLARS OF SUPPORT 4 IBB.HOW CAN D COUP SUCCEED WHEN ABACHA,RASAKI,AIHKOMU AND CO ARE ON D LOOSE
3.ORKA DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH MEN TO PROSECUTE D COUP.
4.SOME OF D TINS HE SAID PITCHED EVEN SOME OF HIS MEN AGAINST HIM.
5.ORKA FAILED TO GET THE ACTUAL SIZE OF THE PROBLEM HE WAS TRYING TO CONFRONT.IBB REGIME IS LIKE A HYDRA,HAVING MANY HEADS.CUTTING 1 HEAD IS NOT ENUF TO KILL D MONSTER.

I THANK GOD THE COUP DIDN'T SUCCEED BECOS ORKA IS NOT INTELLIGENT ENUF TO HANDLE NIJA,WE WILL ONLY HAVE A NIGERIAN VERSION OF IDI AMIN.THE MANNER,CRUDENESS AND CRUELITY OF D COUP EXECUTION SHOWS DAT THE SUCCEEDING JUNTA WOULD HAVE BEING *$&@@*#.JUST LIK 66-67 RELOAD

4 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Mujtahida: 6:29pm On Jul 02, 2017
pazienza:

Your pain runs deep. Your soul has been seared and your humanity twisted. Karma for Orkar and his men abi even when they acted in the interest of the middle belt and the South? Ok, well and good. Was it karma that Igbos were killed in the North after the coup carried out by Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Gbulie, Okafor in 1966 with 98% selective killing of Northern and Western origin politicians and military men? Is that the logic?

4 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by pazienza(m): 7:37pm On Jul 02, 2017
Mujtahida:

Your pain runs deep. Your soul has been seared and your humanity twisted. Karma for Orkar and his men abi even when they acted in the interest of the middle belt and the South? Ok, well and good. Was it karma that Igbos were killed in the North after the coup carried out by Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Gbulie, Okafor in 1966 with 98% selective killing of Northern and Western origin politicians and military men? Is that the logic?

What Karma do you speak of? Were Igbo civilians involved in January coup?

Noticed how you conveniently left Ademoyega out on your list, typical Yoloboid.

9 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by walemoney007(m): 8:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
Orkar should not have sacked the 5 northern state when e took over,that was the biggest mistake.
He should have done that when he is fully settled

2 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by walemoney007(m): 8:22pm On Jul 02, 2017
pazienza:

gush most of the IBO's have seen on nairaland are some of the most stup!d people have seen in my life.
Why the hell do you have to tag that guy as a Yoruba guy.
You are so fool!sh

6 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Jlow2: 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2017
the military then was so corrupt dat northern junior officers dnt take orders from der southern superiors, infact der was a cartel called the supreme junior miltary council formed by core northern junior officers ,on the day of the coup ojo barracks was down,bamaiyi was still tryin to hold dem off at ikeja contanment,ibb was on the run, cos dodan barracks was on heavy fire,lagos was in disarry,the coup plotters had information that abacha was at his guest house in ikoyi with a woman dey searched for him der but never saw him(jazz)wen abacha got information about d coup he placed a call to ibadan ,and trucks of soldiers from the barracks moved to lagos and countered the coup,orkar was over confident because the regime was so corrupt making it so vulnerable,he made the broadcast because the wer in control,after that attempted coup came the rise of abacha,i remember at aburi ojukwu asked gowon wer is d "commander in chief" (aguyi ironsi) gowon was mute,press and sum civillians wer excused, he was killed said gowon, later ojukwu told him that dis will be avery bad precedence if dos behind it wer not brut to justice,it will encourage indiscipline in the army and nigeria as a whole,the events of 1966 brut nigeria to it knees till date

7 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Mujtahida: 10:01pm On Jul 02, 2017
pazienza:

Oh you are asking me about which karma? Go and talk about karma to the wives of Sardauna, to Elizabeth Pam, the children of Okotie Eboh and Ademulegun, Maimalari's wife etc. They are in a good position to tell you more about karma.

But you see, unlike you whose heart has become the citadel of bitterness and tribal vengefulness, I am sure this people will show love rather than gloat. Why am I sure? In 2001, at the age of 65 years, Elizabeth Pam, a Northerner and the widow of Lt. Col James Pam went to see Humphrey Chukwuka in Enugu the former capital of Eastern Region. She was 30 years old in 1966 when Chukwuka took James away and never returned him to her as promised. Elizabeth did not call for justice as an alternative to the loss of her beloved husband neither was she avid for tribal accusations that was common to Chukwuka’s people. She just uttered those difficult words: “I forgive you.” She died soft on 10 of May 2011 surrounded by her children and her illustrious moral superiority. Amazing Grace.
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/06/nigerias-first-coup-biafra-british-secret-files-part-two/11/

Everybody read the post and commented as people whose humanity is intact. Only you, only you decided to gloat, to rubbish the sacrifices of this men because of 1966. You who have murdered sleep, you shall sleep no more since you cannot show grace.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Mujtahida: 10:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
walemoney007:
gush most of the IBO's have seen on nairaland are some of the most stup!d people have seen in my life.
Why the hell do you have to tag that guy as a Yoruba guy.
You are so fool!sh
He more than anyone of us because of what happened in 1966 ought to understand the pain of the loss this people suffered and their sacrifice. They waged a gallant battle against the darkness that holds this nation bound. Not even Ojukwu who witnessed the butchery suffered by Igbos after the first coup could have said the utterly callous word this young man vomited here.

2 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by pazienza(m): 10:38pm On Jul 02, 2017
Mujtahida:

Oh you are asking me about which karma? Go and talk about karma to the wives of Sardauna, to Elizabeth Pam, the children of Okotie Eboh and Ademulegun, Maimalari's wife etc. They are in a good position to tell you more about karma.

But you see, unlike you whose heart has become the citadel of bitterness and tribal vengefulness, I am sure this people will show love rather than gloat. Why am I sure? In 2001, at the age of 65 years, Elizabeth Pam, a Northerner and the widow of Lt. Col James Pam went to see Humphrey Chukwuka in Enugu the former capital of Eastern Region. She was 30 years old in 1966 when Chukwuka took James away and never returned him to her as promised. Elizabeth did not call for justice as an alternative to the loss of her beloved husband neither was she avid for tribal accusations that was common to Chukwuka’s people. She just uttered those difficult words: “I forgive you.” She died soft on 10 of May 2011 surrounded by her children and her illustrious moral superiority. Amazing Grace.

Everybody read the post and commented as people whose humanity is intact. Only you, only you decided to gloat, to rubbish the sacrifices of this men because of 1966. You who have murdered sleep, you shall sleep no more since you cannot show grace.

But we all know that coup was Awolowo masterminded, and not Igbo.
Igbo civilians never killed any one.
Why should the Karma for Nzeogwu and Ademoyega actions be on Ndiigbo and not on Nzeogwu and co and Awolowo the masterminded of the coup?

It's on record that Orka people waylaid and massacred innocent Igbo civilians in Makurdi, many of who ran away from the core North and headed towards the East.

How exactly can you find relationship between the two scenarios?

6 Likes

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Caseless: 10:51pm On Jul 02, 2017
Read other post-coup speech and you'd see that we can't get out of this again...until the end of time*in 2pac's voice*
Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by Mujtahida: 3:50am On Jul 03, 2017
pazienza:

But we all know that coup was Awolowo masterminded, and not Igbo.
Igbo civilians never killed any one.
Why should the Karma for Nzeogwu and Ademoyega actions be on Ndiigbo and not on Nzeogwu and co and Awolowo the masterminded of the coup?

It's on record that Orka people waylaid and massacred innocent Igbo civilians in Makurdi, many of who ran away from the core North and headed towards the East.

How exactly can you find relationship between the two scenarios?
You were the one that found relationship between Orkar's coup in 1990 and karma for 1966. I am only mirroring your own logic back to you. Why should the actions of Orkar's people in 1966 fall on Orkar?
When I give your logic back to you, you will say I am turning logic on it's head. Orkar's people did something in 1966 and therefore Orkar should bear the Karma in 1990 but when Ifeajuna and co did something, the Karma should not fall on his people in that same 1966? This is your logic. Not mine. You can link Orkar to his people but you don't want to link Ifeajuna to his people. You have no idea how Karma works. And mind you, it was you and not me who invoked Karma here.
Awolowo did not mastermind any coup except the coup in your mind where your hate filled imagination has usurped historical facts.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:29am On Jul 03, 2017
chiboy11:

There are many reasons but the main reasons were
1. April 22 was not the original date for the coup. The date had to be moved back when the organizers feared they would be exposed. A (coup) reconnaissance party coming from a meeting of the conspirators encountered a night police patrol team days before (at Obalende if I recall correctly). The entire police patrol including the commanding inspector of police were arrested and detained but there were fears that their disappearance would cause discovery of the plot.
2.Bamaiyi and Abacha organized a counter coup with Hausa troops and young officers. Southern officers were timid and inactive.
3. The main assault force could not capture IBB mainly due to resistance offered by the Dodan barrack guards and IBB's ADC Col UK Bello.

The failure has nothing to do with the broadcast.

Look up accounts of the coup online especially that by Dr Nowa Omogui on dawodu.net.
I should not fail to acknowledge the bravery of Major Gideon Orkar, Salibar Umukoro, Sgt Ademokhai and other brave men executed by IBB. There is evidence that many officers who took part in the coup remained undiscovered because Gideon Orkar Major Umukoro and others steadfastly refused to give them up despite torture.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Meets Chris Smith, US Congressman At Capitol Washington DC / Benue State Belongs To The Fulani By Right Of Conquest - Prof. Labdo Muhammad / Fela Durotoye Under Serious Prayer With Family As He Awaits Result (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.