Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election (11780 Views)

Whoever Said GEJ Was Clueless? Tambuwal To/May Be Impeached Tomorrow / APC: Pressure Mounts On Tambuwal To Quit Presidential Race / Meaning Of "Status Quo": Court Ruling On Tambuwal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 28, 2013
2015: Pressure on Tambuwal to challenge Jonathan

The search in the North for a consensus candidate to challenge President Goodluck Jonathan in the 2015 presidential election may soon be over.

Although Jonathan has not signified an intention to seek re-election, there is serious speculation that he will.

Multiple sources told SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday that the region’s powerbrokers are rooting for the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, to run for President.

Our correspondents gathered that some senior politicians in the opposition mega party, the All Progressives Congress, have made overtures to Tambuwal to dump the ruling Peoples Democratic Party and be the APC flag bearer in 2015.

A former Head of State and presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 general election, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), and the National Leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Senator Bola Tinubu, reportedly held a private meeting with the Speaker last week to persuade him to join the mega party.

Some leaders of the North, in separate interviews with SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday, described Tambuwal as a credible alternative to Jonathan, stating that he would get their support, whether as the flag bearer of the PDP or APC. However, they stopped short of declaring the Speaker as the consensus presidential candidate of the region.

The Northern Elders’ Forum said although it had not decided on a consensus northern candidate for the presidency in 2015, Tambuwal’s “youthfulness and performance” as the Speaker made him an attractive option in the region’s bid to reclaim the presidency.

The spokesman for the forum, Dr. Paul Unongo, in an interview with one of our correspondents, said Tambuwal would get the support of many Nigerians, especially northerners, should he emerge the presidential candidate of any political party.

He said, “I have a very deep respect for the Speaker. He is an amiable and courageous young man who, I believe, has served his country well. He is somebody that I know that will enjoy the support of a lot of Nigerians.

“The Northern Elders Forum will support a candidate from the North. But we have yet to zero in on anybody, whether Christian or Muslim. However, with what Tambuwal has done as the Speaker of the House of Representatives, he looks quite attractive. If Tambuwal emerges as the candidate of any party he associates with, whether PDP or APC, we will be happy to discuss with him. And I’m sure he will enjoy the support of some of us.”

Another influential group in the North, the Coalition of Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals and Businessmen, noted that supporting Tambuwal was not based only on the preferences of the people of the region.

The coordinator of the group, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, told one of our correspondents that Tambuwal had the potential to turn the fortunes of the country around.

He said, “It’s not a question of a northerner throwing a challenge to Jonathan, it’s a question of what is good for Nigeria. Looking at the prospects, Tambuwal is good for Nigeria. What he did during the election that made him the Speaker was a very positive development for democracy in the nation and also a sobering warning to all the parties to be more internally democratic.

“Goodluck Jonathan and the gangs around him pose a very serious threat to us in this country by their sheer incompetence and irresponsibility. Competence and integrity are clearly lacking in the government and the Presidency, which Jonathan leads. I’m sure Nigerians will be more than happy to have an opportunity to support Tambuwal.”

Mohammed further described Tambuwal as a credible alternative to Jonathan.

“He is a kind of leader who will give alternative tendencies a chance to overthrow the PDP, Jonathan and all that they stand for. I believe Tambuwal will be a better leader and a better person for the presidency.

“I’m saying this because I know Tambuwal and I also know Jonathan. So, I can say, with some certainty, who is a better leader; Tambuwal or Goodluck. We have seen how Goodluck has performed or underperformed in the past few years as the President, and we have seen how Tambuwal has performed as the Speaker, clearly Tambuwal is a better leader than Jonathan.”

Similarly, the National President, Arewa Youths Consultative Forum, Yerima Shettimah, said Tambuwal could win the hearts of youths in the North but only if he was not sponsored by “northern politicians who contributed to the woes of the region.”

Shettimah said, “We saw Jonathan as a young man and we felt he came from a poor background like some of us. We felt that he was going to come up with our aspirations. At the end of the day, what happened? We want a young leader but not one that is being used by older politicians.”

The Arewa Consultative Forum, however, stated that it was too early to crown North’s consensus candidate, since all the northern aspirants had yet to declare their intention to run.

The spokesman for the forum, Anthony Sani, said, “I think it is too early to start talking politics to that level at this time, precisely because such talks will not only heat up the polity but distract us from governance. It is premature to talk of which candidate is qualified to be President and deserving of support, since we do not know all the aspirants yet. But when the time comes, nobody will tell us what to do.”

However, the Speaker’s office denied knowledge of any plans by the APC to pick Tambuwal as its presidential candidate.

His Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Imam Imam, told one of our correspondents in Abuja that talks about 2015 presidency were “distracting Tambuwal who has a four-year mandate, as a member of the House of Representatives, to serve.”

Imam added, “We have spoken on this issue (2015 presidency) several times and our position has not changed. The Speaker is preoccupied with serving his four-year mandate. He is about to enter the mid-term of the four-year mandate. All his efforts and attention are devoted to serving his term as a member of the House of Representatives. That is all we can say.”

www.punchng.com/news/2015-tambuwal-under-pressure-to-challenge-jonathan/
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 28, 2013
haryhorku: 2015: Pressure on Tambuwal to challenge Jonathan

The search in the North for a consensus candidate to challenge President Goodluck Jonathan in the 2015 presidential election may soon be over.

Although Jonathan has not signified an intention to seek re-election, there is serious speculation that he will.

Multiple sources told SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday that the region’s powerbrokers are rooting for the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, to run for President.

Our correspondents gathered that some senior politicians in the opposition mega party, the All Progressives Congress, have made overtures to Tambuwal to dump the ruling Peoples Democratic Party and be the APC flag bearer in 2015.

A former Head of State and presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change in the 2011 general election, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), and the National Leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Senator Bola Tinubu, reportedly held a private meeting with the Speaker last week to persuade him to join the mega party.

Some leaders of the North, in separate interviews with SUNDAY PUNCH on Friday, described Tambuwal as a credible alternative to Jonathan, stating that he would get their support, whether as the flag bearer of the PDP or APC. However, they stopped short of declaring the Speaker as the consensus presidential candidate of the region.

The Northern Elders’ Forum said although it had not decided on a consensus northern candidate for the presidency in 2015, Tambuwal’s “youthfulness and performance” as the Speaker made him an attractive option in the region’s bid to reclaim the presidency.

The spokesman for the forum, Dr. Paul Unongo, in an interview with one of our correspondents, said Tambuwal would get the support of many Nigerians, especially northerners, should he emerge the presidential candidate of any political party.

He said, “I have a very deep respect for the Speaker. He is an amiable and courageous young man who, I believe, has served his country well. He is somebody that I know that will enjoy the support of a lot of Nigerians.

“The Northern Elders Forum will support a candidate from the North. But we have yet to zero in on anybody, whether Christian or Muslim. However, with what Tambuwal has done as the Speaker of the House of Representatives, he looks quite attractive. If Tambuwal emerges as the candidate of any party he associates with, whether PDP or APC, we will be happy to discuss with him. And I’m sure he will enjoy the support of some of us.”

Another influential group in the North, the Coalition of Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals and Businessmen, noted that supporting Tambuwal was not based only on the preferences of the people of the region.

The coordinator of the group, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, told one of our correspondents that Tambuwal had the potential to turn the fortunes of the country around.

He said, “It’s not a question of a northerner throwing a challenge to Jonathan, it’s a question of what is good for Nigeria. Looking at the prospects, Tambuwal is good for Nigeria. What he did during the election that made him the Speaker was a very positive development for democracy in the nation and also a sobering warning to all the parties to be more internally democratic.

“Goodluck Jonathan and the gangs around him pose a very serious threat to us in this country by their sheer incompetence and irresponsibility. Competence and integrity are clearly lacking in the government and the Presidency, which Jonathan leads. I’m sure Nigerians will be more than happy to have an opportunity to support Tambuwal.”

“He is a kind of leader who will give alternative tendencies a chance to overthrow the PDP, Jonathan and all that they stand for. I believe Tambuwal will be a better leader and a better person for the presidency.

“I’m saying this because I know Tambuwal and I also know Jonathan. So, I can say, with some certainty, who is a better leader; Tambuwal or Goodluck. We have seen how Goodluck has performed or underperformed in the past few years as the President, and we have seen how Tambuwal has performed as the Speaker, clearly Tambuwal is a better leader than Jonathan.”

Similarly, the National President, Arewa Youths Consultative Forum, Yerima Shettimah, said Tambuwal could win the hearts of youths in the North but only if he was not sponsored by “northern politicians who contributed to the woes of the region.”

Shettimah said, “We saw Jonathan as a young man and we felt he came from a poor background like some of us. We felt that he was going to come up with our aspirations. At the end of the day, what happened? We want a young leader but not one that is being used by older politicians.”

The Arewa Consultative Forum, however, stated that it was too early to crown North’s consensus candidate, since all the northern aspirants had yet to declare their intention to run.

The spokesman for the forum, Anthony Sani, said, “I think it is too early to start talking politics to that level at this time, precisely because such talks will not only heat up the polity but distract us from governance. It is premature to talk of which candidate is qualified to be President and deserving of support, since we do not know all the aspirants yet. But when the time comes, nobody will tell us what to do.”

However, the Speaker’s office denied knowledge of any plans by the APC to pick Tambuwal as its presidential candidate.

His Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Imam Imam, told one of our correspondents in Abuja that talks about 2015 presidency were “distracting Tambuwal who has a four-year mandate, as a member of the House of Representatives, to serve.”

Imam added, “We have spoken on this issue (2015 presidency) several times and our position has not changed. The Speaker is preoccupied with serving his four-year mandate. He is about to enter the mid-term of the four-year mandate. All his efforts and attention are devoted to serving his term as a member of the House of Representatives. That is all we can say.”

Where are my glasses?

3 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by rhymesteey(f): 11:25am On Apr 28, 2013
Issokay!
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 28, 2013
...whatever is decided,please do it for the good of Nigeria...
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by quest003: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2013
mobuch:

Where are my glasses?
u nid a brain as wel , quoting the whole content makes no sense.

13 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by teskyg: 11:26am On Apr 28, 2013
Why must Northern presidential candidate always come from Hausa- Fulani muslim extraction?So we don't have a competent candidate from the middle belt aned a christian to compete as well.We will have to draw the line in the North.We in the middle belt have our eyes wide open and won't support any attempt to mislead us into this 19 Northern states alliance anymore.We know who to support when the time comes.

21 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by donwilly3: 11:30am On Apr 28, 2013
ok nooow make we see wetin go hapen but i wil run if a norterner becom d presido undecided
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 28, 2013
I think we need to get out of the habit of pressuring people who dont want to run to contest election

this has been the bain to our current democratic experiment

OBJ was in Jail and had no plans to run and he was plucked from no where
Yar'adua was planning to go back to classroom after Katsina Governorship and we drafted him from No where
Jonathan was not talking about Federal Politics when he was made VP and dumped on the Nation

All of these leaders were clearly not prepared for leadership because they were not thinking about it.

If Tambuwal wants to run let him come out and say so and also tell us his policies!!!! This madness about pressuring people to run for office they are not wishing for is killing our democracy

If Tambuwal wants to run let him grant a press conference and tell Nigerians how he will be better than Jonathan!!!!!

20 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by gysl1973: 11:32am On Apr 28, 2013
haryhorku: 2015: Pressure on Tambuwal to challenge Jonathan

k

pls dont insult me for quoting the page i just want attention just like Buhari and tinubu is seeking attention in Nig.

6 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Arysexy(m): 11:33am On Apr 28, 2013
surely they shall gather, but fall is theirs! must northern muslims always represent the north? islamic agenda. Arewa has never projected any christian northerner for presidency. y?

2 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 28, 2013
dead on arrival

2 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by 15: 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
It's TIME we re-focus, re-engineer and re-align our efforts resources, physically mentally spiritually and otherwise

We need a revolution
What is a revolution
What and how do we want Nigeria to be
What do we stand to gain
How do we go about revolution
What are risks
How do we handle the risk
How do we sustain the revolution
How will the coordination be

1 Like

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Scarpon(m): 11:36am On Apr 28, 2013
I will not vote for anybody above 40

1 Like

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 28, 2013
Lmaoooo u wanna fight against the power of incumbency. cheesy

He might end up becoming a Minister under APC 2015
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 28, 2013
teskyg: Why must Northern presidential candidate always come from Hausa- Fulani muslim extraction?So we don't have a competent candidate from the middle belt aned a christian to compete as well.We will have to draw the line in the North.We in the middle belt have our eyes wide open and won't support any attempt to mislead us into this 19 Northern states alliance anymore.We know who to support when the time comes.
Gbam!
I always wonder, the north has more illiterates than any region in Nigeria, they didnt show any approval for the motion for nigerian independence in 1953, one third of the president and head of state came from them all muslims with the exception of Gen. Yakubu Gowon. Yet they still claim right to rule the country and all other regions are bowing? What meaningful development came from them to benefit their region and even the country at large.
Abeg, am tired of this north trying to assume leadership when they dont have the capacity to rule

3 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 28, 2013
Scarpon: I will not vote for anybody above 40
Then don't register at all. Even in the USA you need adequate track records from your past.

You are just one of those hustling comedians
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 28, 2013
Just like any other nigerian, Tambuwal has the right to vote and be voted for.

Nigerians have suffered too much politically, any opposition that can send shivers down the spines of mr. President will be welcomed by nigerians.

2015 is a crutial election that may make or mar nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 28, 2013
Dunno why but am just comfortable with the young man.

1 Like

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by victorD3: 11:45am On Apr 28, 2013
TB Joshua should please predict who will contest or win now o not coming after 2015 election to claim he predicted GEJ will massively win.

1 Like

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Afam4eva(m): 11:48am On Apr 28, 2013
teskyg: Why must Northern presidential candidate always come from Hausa- Fulani muslim extraction?So we don't have a competent candidate from the middle belt aned a christian to compete as well.We will have to draw the line in the North.We in the middle belt have our eyes wide open and won't support any attempt to mislead us into this 19 Northern states alliance anymore.We know who to support when the time comes.
[size=14pt]I was also wondering why they didn't consider Senator David Mark who is even closer to Aso Rock by the virtue of the fact that he currently wields a more powerful office. It seems the core North does not regard the middle-belt.[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by teskyg: 11:48am On Apr 28, 2013
Its becoming irritating for people to think North hold d Ace in deciding who becomes the President.2011 election was a clear pointer.All Muslims in the North Voted for Buhari and not GEJ.most votes from the North came from minority christains and middle belt.
We will finally clear their doubts in 2015.

5 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Kingspin(m): 11:55am On Apr 28, 2013
Who is tambuwal to the people of Nigeria when will this country change for good.There is so much politics than dealing with the real issue.I still ask again who is tambuwal...rather than a speaker of the house who have achieve so little or notin.we are headin no where wit this set of people.

1 Like

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by SUBMARINE: 11:58am On Apr 28, 2013
Is APC a party 4 +ve change or a return 2 aboki-yoruba supremacy.? Let all APC supporters seeking 4 d return 2 d old order know dat d MB, SS & SE are solidly behind GEJ since they have decided 2 treat them as slaves. 2015 d so called masters wil bcom wat they wish d MB, SS & SE.

2 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by toluls(m): 12:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
Let's wait and see how it all plays out.

TLS.
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
So APC is shopping for Presidential Material from their so called "Corrupt" PDP ?

It therefore means that APC has nothing to offer as a political party as none of its members is qualified to be President which could be the reason they keep shopping for Candidate from the Almighty PDP. LOL

Very Shameful.

17 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 28, 2013
for the first time in many months, my post in on first page. I will do thanksgiving in my church. Lol. Thanks seun and crew

2 Likes

Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 28, 2013
SUBMARINE: Is APC a party 4 +ve change or a return 2 aboki-yoruba supremacy.? Let all APC supporters seeking 4 d return 2 d old order know dat d MB, SS & SE are solidly behind GEJ since they have decided 2 treat them as slaves. 2015 d so called masters wil bcom wat they wish d MB, SS & SE.

after 4years in power does GEJ have any records to run on?
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by UncleJJ(m): 12:19pm On Apr 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]I was also wondering why they didn't consider Senator David Mark who is even closer to Aso Rock by the virtue of the fact that he currently wields a more powerful office. It seems the core North does not regard the middle-belt.[/size]

If David mark, declares interest uncle Jonathan may not make it, eventhough he has not officially declared (Jonathan) interest.
Re: Pressure On Tambuwal To Challenge Jonathan In 2015 Presidential Election by lacasa: 12:20pm On Apr 28, 2013
Tambuwal can pass for Nigeria, i'm oк with this arrangement if it is eventually agreed upon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garba Shehu: APC NEC Did Not Hold Meeting At FEC Chamber / Adeleke Presents ₦‎1.528 Billion Bond Certificates To Retired Workers In Osun / How Best To Honour Abiola - Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.