Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria (29050 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Ask Me Any Question About Career In Dubai / Career Change: From IT To Investment/Business Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by roselynbas(f): 11:59pm On Sep 14, 2013
the_cia: Where are the Business Analysts ?

I have a lot of questions for the moderator:

1. The discipline of Business Analysis is not very prevalent here in Nigeria, except within the Telcos why is this so ?

2. Why do they not have many opening as regards BA's ?

3. Aside the role of a PM or Sales depending on the organisational structure, which other role can a BA migrate into ?

4. Aside the CCBA's and CBAP's , there seems not to be any other exams one can write too ?

I am not the moderator but I can answer some of your questions.

1 & 2) yes the BA role is not very prevalent here in Nigeria simply because many organisations don't know what it is. This role actually exist but it is either directed to the PM ( project manager) or the (quality assurance manager)QA.
3) QA, because all these boils down to improving the quality of the product, service, organisational structure and the general business.
4) Six Sigma certification from ASQ international, kindly google this to get more information. It is an incorporation of BA and PM.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by roselynbas(f): 12:03am On Sep 15, 2013
saintneo: More like Xavi, Iniesta things.

My problem with BA is that you can be dormant for long time. No movement up the ladder, just like Xavi & Iniesta in the Fifa football awards.

I better be a striker.

Why don't you move up the ladder in your own organization? You cannot have a BA, QA, Six Sigma or PM proper training and still that you should be moving up the ladder of anybody rather think out of the box on how to run your own company.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by bootlegaz: 1:16am On Sep 15, 2013
richoko60: Nice Thread, i wish we can have more threads like this, Please anyone can help with information on ORACLE ERP, SAP, BI, CISA etc and the career path to follow.
can anyone help with an advice for someone with Oracle database SQL, OCA, OCP but confused about the career path to follow between Information System Audit and IT business Solution with our present Nija situation.
currently umemployed but want to equipped myself with more skills
Thanks
I am not based in naija and wouldn't know how the job market is for information management. I think some companies in Nigeria are using SAP for their ERP . I was offered a job in Abuja as a consultant but the offer was not juicy enough for me to leave my base in states to naija.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by lymelyte(m): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2013
Funpeter: presently taken a course on informations management system hopes it helps later
Please @funpeter,where are you taking this course "information management system"?
I have been thinking heavily on taking this course.How do I go about it @funpeter?
God bless you as I Hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Funpeter: 12:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
lymelyte:
Please @funpeter,where are you taking this course "information management system"?
I have been thinking heavily on taking this course.How do I go about it @funpeter?
God bless you as I Hope to hear from you soon.
Am taking the course from one of the NIIT centers. You can check the out
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Funpeter: 12:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
bootlegaz:
Where(country) do you plan on pitching that course? Putting it to practice is what matters the most. Information technology is ambiguous, you have to choose area of specialty that aligns with your Major.If you love numbers then Analytics would be best bet for you. Hadoop, no sql, mysql and machine learning are all under information technology but used mostly by engineers.
Have a major in Statistics, definitely love numbers and also do u mean i dont need sql and mysql if am going for Analytics? Please ur advice will be appreciated.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Funpeter: 12:41pm On Sep 15, 2013
roselynbas:

send me a PM I can recommend where you can get your training. I have 2 years experience as a BA from some professionals.
should send u a PM also?
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Funpeter: 12:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
roselynbas:

send me a PM I can recommend where you can get your training. I have 2 years experience as a BA from some professionals.
Should i send u a PM also?
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by bootlegaz: 3:49am On Sep 16, 2013
Funpeter: Have a major in Statistics, definitely love numbers and also do u mean i dont need sql and mysql if am going for Analytics? Please ur advice will be appreciated.
Statisticians are in high demand in states. You need those aforementioned programs to be in big data business. Analytics make crazy money out here and the demand for them will increase to 34percent or more by 2020. If you can gain admission to states, and have enough money to finance your degree, you are set for life.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Funpeter: 9:02am On Sep 16, 2013
bootlegaz:
Statisticians are in high demand in states. You need those aforementioned programs to be in big data business. Analytics make crazy money out here and the demand for them will increase to 34percent or more by 2020. If you can gain admission to states, and have enough money to finance your degree, you are set for life.
Tanks man, is pity Nigeria does not value statisticians will work towards that.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by bootlegaz: 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
Funpeter: Tanks man, is pity Nigeria does not value statisticians will work towards that.
Work towards that. Look for a school that has a year masters program in states and apply to it.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by nnaiah: 10:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
4 - Thickening Your Skin

Business analysis does take a thick skin. Positive feedback is akin to gold but negative feedback is common.

In response to your questions, you’ll see eye rolls (or hear silence on the conference line where you’ll assume eye rolls are happening).

In response to your well-groomed requirements document, you’ll receive critical remarks – about the requirements themselves or the phrasing.

In response to your meeting invites, stakeholders will tell you they are too busy or just simply not show up at all, leaving you behind on your requirements development plan. (What, you didn’t have a plan? Don’t miss skill 7.)

It’s easy to think these reactions are about you and your skills. And while it’s great to leverage feedback to improve your skills, it’s important to separate yourself from the feedback as well so the business analysis process can do its job. Business analysis is an iterative process and a constant barrage of feedback is part of the game.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by nnaiah: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
5 - Writing Requirements Specifications

In a new business analyst role, typically there will be a few types of requirements specifications that are most commonly created. If you landed the job without those specific skills, you’ll want to review your organization’s templates and get familiar with what a good requirements specification should look like. Getting your hands on a few samples from fellow BAs inside your organization is also a good idea, as this will clarify exactly what you are expected to produce. Even if you have experience with a specification type, this is a good activity as standards tend to vary from one organization to another.

1 Like

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by nnaiah: 7:44pm On Sep 20, 2013
6 – Creating Visual Models

Most BAs tend to have a natural preference for either textual or visual models. Requirements specifications ideally include both types of information, as different stakeholders learn in different ways.

Unless your organization uses formal UML or BPMN standards, focus on learning to create simple visual models, such as workflow diagrams, information models, and system-context diagrams.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by opad(m): 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2013
I'm not an analytic numbers guy, not to good with numbers, Can i be a Business Analyst without this? I like IT though.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Aaneetar(f): 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
I have read a lot on business analysis of recent because I am very passionate about being a business analyst. This is for the business analyst professionals in the house. Please is there anyway at all to go about this, I'm very wiling to work with a BA just so I can get some on the job experience. Thanks
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by docchuks(m): 7:51am On Nov 20, 2013
Morphological and Performance Gap analysis article here for your reading pleasure
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by 88natzy(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
88natzy: Please fellow Nairalanders, I am a graduate of microbiology from one of the prestigious universities here in Nigeria, I am result oriented and can work under any condition.
I would like to get informations about job alerts, advice and constructive criticisms to my mails.
Iro18emma@yahoo.com or 88natzy@gmail.com
Also my BB pin is
75F6B2EB. Thank you!
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
Good day, how can I get your contact number. I have important issue to discuss with you.

Mine is 08155119090
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by sCross: 5:36pm On Nov 30, 2014
Event: BA Training
Hosts: London Academy Business Academy
Time frame: 2 days
Fee: 7,000 instead of the usual 50,000
Deadline: Monday 1st december
How to get it: Go to dealdey.com and search for business ananlysis

Have a great week ahead
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Redfox(m): 8:01am On Nov 10, 2015
SPSS 22.0 Training session live in Victoria Island. November 14 and 15, 2015. Saturday and Sunday.

To attend, please call in/indicate.

Note that the session includes complete SPSS 22.0 installation files, video and guide for dummies.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 16, 2015
am a 400 level business administration student with interest in sales/marketing including research and analysis and database management. i want to be a BA still an undergraduate tho but i really want to kick start early enough.practical skills in SPSS, excel, MS access etc... i can read codes, and can write web development code. i believe there more bigger brothers here to really help make a dream come true. i really appreciate this thread.
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by hernyhorla: 3:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
Please i need info on this professional body. i am a Technical consultant .

roselynbas:

Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by hernyhorla: 3:33pm On Apr 26, 2016
please any info when this type of offer will come up again?

sCross:
Event: BA Training
Hosts: London Academy Business Academy
Time frame: 2 days
Fee: 7,000 instead of the usual 50,000
Deadline: Monday 1st december
How to get it: Go to dealdey.com and search for business ananlysis

Have a great week ahead
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by sCross: 1:11pm On Apr 27, 2016
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by LegDoLand: 7:54pm On May 05, 2018
akinjosh:
This thread has been the most useful thread to me on NL. Dating bk 2 months ago, i neva knew who or what a business analyst does until i was invited for a interview at a telecomms coy for a business analyst, though the interview wasn't successful, i have been determined to learn all i can learn and take up a career as a business analyst. I have a Bsc degree in biochemistry with high knowledge of SQL. Can anyone help with directions(courses, degrees, skills) to take in order to have a career as a business analyst?

Hi AkinJosh,

I trust you have been well.

HAve you been able to kick-start your dream of being a reputable Business Analyst? I am interested in towing the same path soonest. Wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 6:48pm On Aug 15, 2018
following
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by FlynTech: 1:43am On Jan 31, 2020
Good morning all,

FlynTech Solutions Limited is about to launch in Nigeria.

We are a UK based Business Analysis, Data Analysis, Project Management, Scrum & Kanban training and consulting experts.

Visit our website: https://www.flyn-tech.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FlynTechSolutionsLimited
Contact us: enquiries@flyn-tech.co.uk

Many thanks

Donald
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by anuflourish: 5:22pm On Jul 30, 2020
Hello
This thread is exciting
It's been since 2013 but it's helpful to me in 2020
I just registered for my business analysis course to get ready for my ECBA exams
I would appreciate if anyone can contact me to put me through business analysis as a career.
I'm currently a business development executive
Here's is my digit
Re: Business Analysis As A Career In Nigeria by fykes(m): 7:15am On Jul 31, 2020
I have done business analysis over five years... It's just part of my making and training on the job as a project manager in the last 9 years.
I have had the privilege of developing and testing business models, speaking to investors about global trends and domestic peculiarities.
It's a fulfilling side of my career as a project manager.
I have no certifications as a business analyst but I have enjoyed and would love to pursue a formal certification.

I have also noticed, that the course isn't prevalent here bcoz most investors like to micro manage their funds and investments and not open to ideas. Do I blame them? Nigeria's business terrain is "shark infested" and lacks even the basics in honour.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Workers Shut Down Operations Of Ait/ray Power / EcoBank Sacks 50 Top Managers / What Good Skill Can A Lady Learn In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.