Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,347 members, 7,780,933 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:47 AM

EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) (5688 Views)

A Wapka Account For Sale With 4 Filemanager Supported Sites On It / Why The Drudge Report Is One Of The Best Designed Sites On The Web / Help! I Cant Find My Sites On Google.wat Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 11:26am On May 01, 2013
[size=16pt]Exposed: How To Host Your Websites,blogs and forums On a Free Virtual Private Server From Amazon AWS[/size]

What you get:
613mb RAM
15gb out bandwith
1 dedicated US IP
5gb of Amazon S3 storage
30gb of Amazon elastic block storage
32/64 bit platforms - microsoft server + linux server + redhat e.t.c
750hrs of Amazon EC2 - enough to run everyday/evermonth - non-stop
20gb of Amazon rds - mysql, oracle

**** Update: 5/8/2013 - Added Vid 1 - Registering For Amazon EC2 - https://www.nairaland.com/1275775/how-get-free-vps-server#15637896
**** Update: 5/9/2013 - Added Vid 2 - Connecting To Your VPS/Instance Using Putty Via SSH - https://www.nairaland.com/1275775/how-get-free-vps-server#15655010
**** Update: 5/13/2013 - Added Vid -3 GRA4 Wordpress Plugin Running on EC2 FOR JN - https://www.nairaland.com/1275775/how-get-free-vps-server#15698677
**** Update: 5/14/2013 - Added Vid -4 Installing A WebServer for Wordpress - https://www.nairaland.com/1275775/how-get-free-vps-server#15729330
Latest Update: 5/18/2013 - Added Vid 5 - Introduction to virtual hosts - https://www.nairaland.com/1275775/exposed-how-host-sites-free#15790022

......................................................Shared hosting will kill your Web Property .. eventually !
Running your personal blog or business site on a shared hosting is suicidal kiss ! Unless you can pay top dollar for first class hosting which at the end of the day cost's as much as an unmanaged Linux vps server.

......................................................Struggling for scarce resources !
On a shared host you may have hundreds of sites - depending on the amount of resources allocated to the machine (server)
And, all these sites on the host must share the resources available. Shared hosting usually comes bundled with lots of goodies - from the fantastico installer to many other perl, curl, php, web server modules you may never ever need. These inturn affects your sites speed and inhibits its performance.

......................................................Matt Cutts of Google Says - Site speed for SEO!
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/site-speed/
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/

......................................................Why shared hosting sucks!
Just like a sole-proprietorship where the owner enjoys the profits and suffers the losses - the same goes for any site on a shared host .

*You suffer slow down when any site on your shared host/server receives a high amount of visitors at a time.

*You suffer mails going to the spambox because they originate from a flagged ip.

*You suffer poor SEO placements because one site on your IP has been found employing dubious means for gaining serp placement, hosting warez/illegal software, Indecency of all sorts, hate or racial content or your IP just got bad REP+0.

* Your site times out or outputs "error connecting to database" if database is receiving a high number of connections

* You suffer terrible customer support, when you need it most.

...................................................... Why A Vps is suitable for your needs!
- dedicated USA ip
- full access and control
- Choose your web server settings and configuration.
- faster sites since you only install what you need
- Faster sites since you only host, your own
- safety from unknown google penalties since you run your sites your private vps.
- Add any module or component your software needs
- Experience world class hosting
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2013

Please ask your questions... will keep posting FAQ's below !

2 Likes

Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 9:23pm On May 02, 2013
Yes, you are correct but please tell anyone that is interested that aws is not like shared hosting– cpanel pre installed, auto script installer working, just a few clicks, you are a webmaster. Aws needs advanced networking knowledge to work on. Eg, I created instance to test a script. Amazon just created environment as I chosed Ubuntu, I have to manually install apache, php, mysql...
Creating a public html seems impossible as the system file need to modify so as to change the document root cannot grant me permission. I run every sudo file comd on earth, no show.
Talking of the shared hosting and resources, I think you are mistaking something. My website ( http://www.sergforum.com ) is currently hosted on trudigits.com, I am getting average of 55,000 hits/month and yet it is running smoothly.
And let me add that it is a bit security risk to host forum software on aws cloud plus many wordpress plugins cannot work on cloud environment.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Hackomania(m): 9:00am On May 03, 2013
J.N:
Yes, you are correct but please tell anyone that is interested that aws is not like shared hosting– cpanel pre installed, auto script installer working, just a few clicks, you are a webmaster. Aws needs advanced networking knowledge to work on. Eg, I created instance to test a script. Amazon just created environment as I chosed Ubuntu, I have to manually install apache, php, mysql...
And let me add that it is a bit security risk to host forum software on aws cloud plus many wordpress plugins cannot work on cloud environment.
I totally agree with you on these two observations.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 11:00am On May 03, 2013
J.N:
Creating a public html seems impossible as the system file need to modify so as to change the document root cannot grant me permission. I run every sudo file comd on earth, no show.
Talking of the shared hosting and resources, I think you are mistaking something. My website ( http://www.sergforum.com ) is currently hosted on trudigits.com, I am getting average of 55,000 hits/month and yet it is running smoothly.

1.Nice argument - but i think alot of guys on this forum will disagree, anyone who use fantastico to setup wordpress or joomla is a webmaster: these guys are bloggers (with all due respect), a webmaster builds and maintains sites - so at the least the must have intermediate to pro html/css skills. Which many Nigerian "webmasters" can barely boast off.

2.Secondly, Amazon aws cannot be compared to any shared host - it's simply a semi-managed vps. User's will be running their blogs/sites using world class resources (nobody has the firepower aws has got) currently, pinterest, instagram and many other startups are running their sites on aws servers.

2.1. It is true that AWS, requires networking knowledge but not advanced - you only need to understand basic LINUX (basic commands), you may have to research a little but Linux has a huge load of info on the net for obvious reasons. Many bloggers are self-taught and i doubt memorising 5 or 6 basic commands would pose a problem.

Once you launch your instance(server) all you need to do is to SSH in, update and fireaway - nothing special.[/sup]

2.2. You were unable to create/edit/modify files because you had not[b] granted appropriate permissions to the "user" on that directory [/b] or your user is not part of a group who has permission's to create/edit/modify files in that directory.

2.3. Your site sergforum.com does not receive 50K hits a month. From the looks of it, their is no way it gets 2K+ unique hits/month There are many varieties on hits on the web - the real hits are unique views. Your site, is only a year old, could you tell us how you make 50K hits/month ? (viral, seo , refferal)

I if you did 50K hits/month - Trudigits might[/b]slam you a violation (your on a shared host): fair usage policy (read the terms and conditions).

From the 2nd image, your host has 186 other sites clamouring for [b]scarce server resources
, what do you think will happen, if 30 - 40% of these site spike to 2K - 5K hits/day. ......-- sergforum.com ::reponse - [host unavailable]

Get, your site on a site checking service there are many free one's available - it will tell you how many times your site was offline for some odd reason.

3.AWS EC2 SECURITY: AWS has a firewall for your EC2 VPS, you can configure it via terminal or from the console, you need to open ports you need and close ports you do not need.

3.1. You can also only login via SSH using encrypted keys. And, from your firewall you can enforce only a single IP to have power to login and make changes or similar. Most hacks, are not done via server but application - hence your wordpress, joomla or forum install must have a significant level of security. Linux servers are known to be reasonably secure.

See more here: http://aws.amazon.com/articles/1233
--
All wordpress plugins, will work on AWS , as long as you have the requirements - even shared hosts have problems with certain plugins - where you need to mail support to enable or disable a feature/function.

Note, that several wordpress plugins do not work, because of other reason not related to the host:

* Bad plugin development - poor coding
* Outdate plugin's
* Plugin does not work on current wordpress version
* User unable to configure/understand how to use plugin
* Other plugin's preventing current plugin from working
* e.t.c

Most times it is easier to find an alternative plugin, it will save you time and stop you from tearing you hair out and cursing the host to blazes.

Please, keep asking question - i will do my best to offer answers, assistance and support. You have my nos ! smiley

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 11:45am On May 03, 2013
While saying 'Webmaster' I was a bit sarcastic but lets look at the fact, anybody how manages website ( be it blog,forum,cms...) no matter his/her knowledge is a WEBMASTER.

Not comparing Amazon AWS with shared hosting just saying you are greatly underrating some quality shared hosting.

About amazon and security?

Very very unsecured! I know Instagram and others are running in AMAZON AWS. Reddit is also running there ( I guess) but you must know that the likes of Instagram have their own dedicated AMI plus engineers must be working round the clock for the security. You said it's easy to run and maintain AMazon aws without network knowledge? I doesn't stop in installing the web servers etc, just started there. Make one mistake in your chmod and see many Nigerian hackers beating drums and dancing in your server.

In summary: what amazon did is to create an quality environment for you to run your app. Its up to you to maintain everything yourself. Leaving Amazon aws in the hand of in experienced programmer is suicidal.
I prefer choosing with nothing install and do everything myself so as to know how to manage it fully.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 11:54am On May 03, 2013
@ UncleJ

Sergforum is less than 1 year old, its actually 7 months old.If you think I am lying then its your business. LOL @ 2k unique/month. Talking of my traffic source - Google. Some of the threads in the forum have over 25k page views. My Unique is 19k/month. As of Trudigits slamming my account, I don't know why he haven't. He is actually a great guy.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 12:19pm On May 03, 2013
J.N:
While saying 'Webmaster' I was a bit sarcastic but lets look at the fact, anybody how manages website ( be it blog,forum,cms...) no matter his/her knowledge is a WEBMASTER.

Not comparing Amazon AWS with shared hosting just saying you are greatly underrating some quality shared hosting.

About amazon and security?

Very very unsecured! I know Instagram and others are running in AMAZON AWS. Reddit is also running there ( I guess) but you must know that the likes of Instagram have their own dedicated AMI plus engineers must be working round the clock for the security. You said it's easy to run and maintain AMazon aws without network knowledge? I doesn't stop in installing the web servers etc, just started there. Make one mistake in your chmod and see many Nigerian hackers beating drums and dancing in your server.

In summary: what amazon did is to create an quality environment for you to run your app. Its up to you to maintain everything yourself. Leaving Amazon aws in the hand of in experienced programmer is suicidal.
I prefer choosing with nothing install and do everything myself so as to know how to manage it fully.

Well, i cant agree with you on the webmaster issue, neither can i agree with other statements you have made here.

1. Their is a difference between hacking a wordpress/joomla/forum installation and hacking a server . In this case, Amazon aws is providing you the CPU resources to run a server - much like an empty laptop with all components but no OS.

It's up to you the user to choose - windows, OSx, Ubuntu e.t.c . The operating systems are maintained by other engineers you regularly update security policies and so on, thats why on windows 7 (which is what i use) i recieve updates from time to time.

Amazon AWS, give you the option to choose what OS you want to run, it also offer windows servers:

All OS'es get frequent updates, even wordpress updates consistently to battle and control hacking. Its not that easy to hack a server, hackers attack application's mostly (take note).

As for your chmod, in my experience its not an issue. Becuase, you should not chmod any file or folder when you do not understand why.

This is a simple explanation on the chmod concept: http://forums.devshed.com/showpost.php?p=1705674&postcount=2

J.N:
@ UncleJ

Sergforum is less than 1 year old, its actually 7 months old.If you think I am lying then its your business. LOL @ 2k unique/month. Talking of my traffic source - Google. Some of the threads in the forum have over 25k page views. My Unique is 19k/month. As of Trudigits slamming my account, I don't know why he haven't. He is actually a great guy.

Well, i apologise - if i underestimated your account, i came to my conclusion based on the evidence at hand. Can you please post a detailed screenshot of your stats panel. smiley
I am sure other guys, i included would like to feed our eyes.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by marketingtips: 12:43pm On May 03, 2013
AWS is not recommended for starter web master.

requires too many work, And many custom coding to
secure your apps which will make you frustrated
unless you are a coder yourself.

If you think is very simple to setup, kindly
outline the steps required to setup a forum,blog etc

that might point folks in the right direction
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by LoveDecay(m): 1:49pm On May 03, 2013
Yup, the guy talking bout vps server is right. Shared hosting is suicide, especially for SEO. Nobody tells you that site speed is important for seo... nobody.

A friend told me this long time ago, am using linode its cost $20/month, he manages the vps while i concentrate on making money. wink

sharedhost my a.ss

1 Like

Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 03, 2013
My views so far

Many wordpress plugins will not work in cloud hosting. They will simply tell you sorry this plug in cannot work in this environment.
Post your stats screen shot: No, sorry. As I said before, it's your business if you think I am lying.
Writing custom app is different from installing open source like wordpress, forums, etc.
Comparing amazon vps with shared hosts is noughts as it aught to be compared with physically hosted vps. Seo improvement in amazon ec2 – I am agree with it because they give a dedicated ip.
Talking of hosting I prefer physical dedicated server hosting because of its rugged performance, cloud is prefared by many due to its availability.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 10:07pm On May 05, 2013
marketingtips: AWS is not recommended for starter web master.

requires too many work, And many custom coding to
secure your apps which will make you frustrated
unless you are a coder yourself.

If you think is very simple to setup, kindly
outline the steps required to setup a forum,blog etc

that might point folks in the right direction

Like, i said earlier many blogger "webmasters undecided" are self-taught. I dont see how configuring vps for wordpress/joomla/drupal or a forum is any different.

Infact, it will help the blogger "webmaster" develop interest in how his site works and how to best maintain it. Alot of guys just use fantastico and have very little understanding of how the application they are installing runs on the server and some cant even identify basic files.

I encourage everyone to develop interest in rolling out sites on vps (cloud). Cos, cloud computing is taking over and the only guys left using shared host will never see their content on the face of google's top index.

The more server configuration [match] the less they rank. Nigerian's need to learn to build and deploy simple servers.

I am not an expert, but i took the time to study this, and it seem to be a major ingredient in why some site do better on serps and other never make it .
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 10:08pm On May 05, 2013
J.N:
My views so far

Many wordpress plugins will not work in cloud hosting. They will simply tell you sorry this plug in cannot work in this environment.
Post your stats screen shot: No, sorry. As I said before, it's your business if you think I am lying.
Writing custom app is different from installing open source like wordpress, forums, etc.
Comparing amazon vps with shared hosts is noughts as it aught to be compared with physically hosted vps. Seo improvement in amazon ec2 – I am agree with it because they give a dedicated ip.
Talking of hosting I prefer physical dedicated server hosting because of its rugged performance, cloud is prefared by many due to its availability.

1. Many wordpress plugins will not work in cloud hosting. They will simply tell you sorry this plug in cannot work in this environment.

You are not serious are you?

Secondly, many hosting services don’t provide full control over the compute resources being provided. Using Amazon EC2, developers can choose not only to initiate or shut down instances at any time, they can completely customize the configuration of their instances to suit their needs – and change it at any time. Source http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/

2.Post your stats screen shot: No, sorry. As I said before, it's your business if you think I am lying.

Am beginning to doubt you know, what your talking about, nobody hesitates to provide proof of his claims. Proving, what you said will only increase the credibility of your claim. cheesy

3.Comparing amazon vps with shared hosts is noughts as it aught to be compared with physically hosted vps.

What do you mean by a physically hosted vps - all hosting is done physically, not so ?

4.Talking of hosting I prefer physical dedicated server hosting because of its rugged performance, cloud is prefared by many due to its availability.

Woa, speaking of dedi boxes. Only sites like nairaland e.t.c may need dedicated servers. You only need such servers if you are performing heavy duty processing, database requests e.t.c . A VPS is just like a partition on a drive but it can be started and stoped independently and it is still identified as a lone entity, hence the low cost, since you dont pay cost for power consumption or hardware maintenance e.t.c

Prefering a dedicated server is like shooting a mosquito with a double barrel, for one the cost are so high and finding a team that can guarantee 99% uptime/reponse time - is no joke, since you pay for the whole machine.

I am only here to spread the word regarding vps/ec2 and others'. Dedicated server are only needed for super-mega sites!
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Gmmail(m): 5:13pm On May 06, 2013
GAE is yet another free alternative for python developers. The era of shared hosting is slowly fading away smiley
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 10:53pm On May 06, 2013
Gmmail: GAE is yet another free alternative for python developers. The era of shared hosting is slowly fading away smiley

Have a little experience in google appspot, learnt to install a web proxy using it. What else can it be used to do, i have no programming experience can it host html/css
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Gmmail(m): 11:34pm On May 06, 2013
UncleJJ:

Have a little experience in google appspot, learnt to install a web proxy using it. What else can it be used to do, i have no programming experience can it host html/css

upload your files with the sdk installed on your system. GAE support most python frameworks. check out thier page for supported options.it may not work with relational database, this should not be an issue if you are hosting html/css
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 11:54pm On May 06, 2013
Gmmail:

upload your files with the sdk installed on your system. GAE support most python frameworks. check out thier page for supported options.it may not work with relational database, this should not be an issue if you are hosting html/css

smiley Will definately work on this soon !
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 7:58am On May 09, 2013
Video 1 - A Quick Overview Of Amazon EC2 (240p,320p,480p,720p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CDp98EDvj4
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Gmmail(m): 2:00pm On May 09, 2013
Amazon 101 tutorial.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 09, 2013
@ UncleJJ

Looks like this is leading us to no where, I can't believe that somebody disagrees on the security loophole of cloud hosting, I simply cant.
Talking of wordpress plugin, try to install this GRA4 Social Network for WordPress,let's see how it goes.
Why is cpanel not working in Amazon EC2 environment? Can you please show me any Cpanel that can work on Amazon EC2, and have you ask your self, why?

I said Cloud hosting and physical hosting to point out the difference, the dedicated server has a static dataceter while cloud is cluster in different locations.Dedicated servers depends on hardware accelerator for maximum performance.Cloud depends of software accel.

Whatever, please have a nice time.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 8:02am On May 10, 2013
J.N:
@ UncleJJ

Looks like this is leading us to no where, I can't believe that somebody disagrees on the security loophole of cloud hosting, I simply cant.
Talking of wordpress plugin, try to install this GRA4 Social Network for WordPress,let's see how it goes.
Why is cpanel not working in Amazon EC2 environment? Can you please show me any Cpanel that can work on Amazon EC2, and have you ask your self, why?

I said Cloud hosting and physical hosting to point out the difference, the dedicated server has a static dataceter while cloud is cluster in different locations.Dedicated servers depends on hardware accelerator for maximum performance.Cloud depends of software accel.

Whatever, please have a nice time.

1.Looks like this is leading us to no where, I can't believe that somebody disagrees on the security loophole of cloud hosting, I simply cant.

Can you please share, these security loop holes. You keep "repeating" this statement and have made no explanation/mention of these security loopholes you have identified.

2.Talking of wordpress plugin, try to install this GRA4 Social Network for WordPress,let's see how it goes.

Ha ha... you should have said, you needed help installing a plugin. But, i thought you have a "sweet" shared hosting provider. Is'nt this plugin running on that network. I would love to help but, i have a lot of things to do. Still; i will try to have a look at this social network plugin, cant promise when. tongue

NOTE: Since, what you get is an empty box and you pretty much install the software into the box. Your plugin maybe missing some dependencies. Please, send the programmer and email - asking him about the minimum requirements the plugin needs to run. I am sure that will fix, your problem. smiley

3.Why is cpanel not working in Amazon EC2 environment? Can you please show me any Cpanel that can work on Amazon EC2, and have you ask your self, why?

Are serious - i dont think you have any experience on this issue ! Everybody know cpanel/plesk are commercial - you pay $20 a month for a license. embarassed Cpanel will run on your vps but why do you need it - are you trying to start some lame - cheapskate shared hosting server (that's wack).

But, if your looking for a GUI/web interface - look at "webmin" "zpanel" "ispconfig3", they are free. Webmin is the safest so far - as i heard it uses a self-signed authentication key to give administrative access. Never tried it though, but you should find loads of infomation regarding this.

3.I said Cloud hosting and physical hosting to point out the difference, the dedicated server has a static dataceter while cloud is cluster in different locations.Dedicated servers depends on hardware accelerator for maximum performance.Cloud depends of software accel.

Again, this thread is about cloud hosting not dedi boxes.

For your perusal:
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/cloud/cloud_hosting.htm
http://www.techxav.com/2010/05/01/cloud-hosting-vs-dedicated-hosting/
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 8:37am On May 10, 2013
Video 2- Connecting To Your EC2 VPS/Instance Using Putty Via SSH (240p,320p,480p,720p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMi7LVLllo

NOTE: Difference between burst.net and digitalocean.

Digital ocean is more expensive as you get more RAM, while burstnet isn't. However, digitalocean is using SSD disk, while burstnet server run on RAID disks. It is common knowledge that SSD's are much faster than RAID's.
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 10, 2013
* It is funny UncleJJ thought he can help me *
You ask me which wordpress plugin will not work on Amazon ec2, I showed you one you in turn think you are Mr helper. Some guys over here are seriously laughing at this post.
I am also sure I did not tell you I need cpanel, I said cpanel will not work in amazon ec2, the environment is not suitable for it.
The weakest point of cloud hosting is security, ftp is a complete suicide over there.

* Busy UncleJJ, it's unfortunate you are not free to install wordpress plugin to this newbie*
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 4:31pm On May 10, 2013
J.N:
* It is funny UncleJJ thought he can help me *
You ask me which wordpress plugin will not work on Amazon ec2, I showed you one you in turn think you are Mr helper. Some guys over here are seriously laughing at this post.
I am also sure I did not tell you I need cpanel, I said cpanel will not work in amazon ec2, the environment is not suitable for it.
The weakest point of cloud hosting is security, ftp is a complete suicide over there.

* Busy UncleJJ, it's unfortunate you are not free to install wordpress plugin to this newbie*

1.You ask me which wordpress plugin will not work on Amazon ec2, I showed you one you in turn think you are Mr helper. Some guys over here are seriously laughing at this post.

Let me refer to your statement: Talking of wordpress plugin, try to install this GRA4 Social Network for WordPress,let's see how it goes. wink

2.Some guys over here are seriously laughing at this post.

Dude, so far so good - i have alot on my plate but i still take out time to share information - i am giving back to the community. If other's are laughing at "my post" in particular, its because they lack vision ! Talkless, spending a few minutes on google or yahoo to verify my findings.

3.I am also sure I did not tell you I need cpanel, I said cpanel will not work in amazon ec2, the environment is not suitable for it.
Ok, my bad i mis-interpreted your statement. But, can you explain - why cpanel will not work on amazon ec2 ?

4.The weakest point of cloud hosting is security, ftp is a complete suicide over there.
True, FTP is a security risks. However, you will find that:
(i)you can disable username/password authentication on SSH - amazon has done this by default.
(ii) give user rwx rights only in his folder or site or similar.
(iii) disable ftp/ftps, now the only way a user can upload files is by SFTP - which using public/private key. You can use Winsftp to upload files.

5.* It is funny UncleJJ thought he can help me * & * Busy UncleJJ, it's unfortunate you are not free to install wordpress plugin to this newbie*
cool
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 10, 2013
Dude, so far so good - i have alot on my plate but i still take out time to share information - i am giving back to the community. If other's are laughing at "my post" in particular, its because they lack vision ! Talkless, spending a few minutes on google or yahoo to verify my findings.
Which I tried to complement and explain more, you never tell them one or two things on running Amazon EC2 instances, the technical level it requires and of course that security challenges in running gpl scripts with it, or you are offering to be helping them and maybe pocketing something, looks like you are not the father Christmas you are professing to be.

*Let me refer to your statement: Talking of wordpress plugin, try to install this GRA4 Social Network for WordPress,let's see how it goes.*

Exactly! Not, please - sir, guru... my fingers are burnt, I have being trying to install this plugin but I have no idea, can you please squeeze out your time and do it for me, remember, God loves cheerful givers.

On FTP -
No operating system comes with ftp, you have to install one yourself and set the authentication yourself in the confg file.This also shows why GPL script is not adviceable in amazon ec2 cos most of them needs ftp authentication to transfer something like plugins, mods...
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 11:01pm On May 10, 2013
security challenges are inherent in any site, web application or similar . even the big boys have been hacked even Google,Facebook, twitter.

why do you keep raising this issue. shocked

sites on shared host have also been hacked.

about the technical aspect, you sincerely think at the rate at which technology is moving, individuals with little or no technical expertise will be able run successful ventures on the net without suffering huge deployment and maintenance cost: relative to their spending power.

the painful truth is that shared hosting is losing its appeal and value. installing sites on a vps is technical, yes but it can be learnt. we all must have the courage to move with times or suffer the consequences.

about the father Christmas allegation. I am sure you have seen the vdo's I have posted. why would i share the knowledge if I want to make money of it. however, if i do gain some monetary return out of it. would it be a crime?

as for your social plugin i have not even taken a look at it. I currently have my hands tied to learning to configure - Nginx.

since you have an instance, can you post the error you get when you install it.

in regards to ftp, ofcourse the Os, does not come with ftp. i use a windows computer and all most every app was downloaded and installed by me.

and by default you don't need to set much in the config files, just a few lines.

stop making this look like rocket science. its easier than it looks.

for your information, i have no programming background, I just determined to keep my destiny in my hands. cool

J.N:

Which I tried to complement and explain more, you[i][/i] never tell them one or two things on running Amazon EC2 instances, the technical level it requires and of course that security challenges in running gpl scripts with it, or you are offering to be helping them and maybe pocketing something, looks like you are not the father Christmas you are professing to be.

Exactly! Not, please - sir, guru... my fingers are burnt, I have being trying to install this plugin but I have no idea, can you please squeeze out your time and do it for me, remember, God loves cheerful givers.

On FTP -
No operating system comes with ftp, you have to install one yourself and set the authentication yourself in the confg file.This also shows why GPL script is not adviceable in amazon ec2 cos most of them needs ftp authentication to transfer something like plugins, mods...

Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 4:53pm On May 11, 2013
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 7:34am On May 13, 2013
Vid -3 GRA4 Wordpress Plugin Running on Amazon EC2 - JN said "let's see how it goes".
JN challenged the almighty Amazon EC2's viability. Citing various shortcomings, from security to blah blah blah. He also mentioned this plugin (GRA4) would not work, he claimed it returns some error. But, here it is - alive and well on Amazon EC2 !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YorzNJxhgZQ
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 11:57pm On May 14, 2013
Vid 4 - Installing A Webserver for Wordpress pt1. 240p,320p,480p.720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C418ApF1IeQ

Vid 4 - Installing A Webserver for Wordpress pt2. 240p,320p,480p.720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAygQdXX30
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by UncleJJ(m): 7:28pm On May 18, 2013
Vid 4 - Introduction to virtual hosts 240p,320p,480p.720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUrKxcmk5RM
Re: EXPOSED: How To Host Your Sites On A Free VPS From Amazon AWS (613mb RAM) by uken73(m): 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
Why can't we respect other ppl's opinion and stop fighting/quarelling abt nothing. You guys seem to have all the time in the world for this dispute. Your arguements are really giving me insights to more hosting pros and cons, but it doesn't have to be in the form of a fight. Sm1 has a nice idea and believes it will help others, so he chooses to share it. You have your doubts, you share it. It helps. People can analyse these and make their decisions. But it will be nice if it can always be kept professional.

It will be very nice to see opinions being respected and not causing fights.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Upload More Than One File At Once Into My Cpanel? / Web Design Job - I Need A Web Designer Of The Highest Calibre / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Sharing Adsense With A Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.