Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,267 members, 7,780,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:16 PM

Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I (763 Views)

My Bold 5(sprint Branded) Displayed 'activation Required' On My Homescreen. / Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million / Secret To Start Your Own Mini Gsm Telephone Company With Zero Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I by Giftedgreen: 12:17pm On May 01, 2013
The look and function of a telephone might have evolved drastically, but when it comes to telephone courtesy, the basics remain the same. Courtesy is as important in speaking over the phone as in talking to people face to face.

Basic telephone etiquette requires politeness. Remember, being polite and cheerful does not cost anything, it will only go a long way to make the whole experience enjoyable and bearable for both parties

Your telephone etiquette creates an impression of your personality, education, family background and we tend to believe no one would love to look like an untrained monkey in this modern society.

Since poor phone manners can have a negative effect on your reputation. Let us look at the basic etiquettes that you should learn to observe
Time of call

The rule is that you should follow the nine-to-nine rule. This means that every phone call should be made between nine in the morning and nine o’clock at night. You should also try not to interfere with the work schedules of whoever you are calling.
Answering a call

Answering a phone call begins with a “Hello”. Not a rude and uninviting hello, but a friendly, welcoming and cheerful “Hello”. You do not receive a phone call with “Talon soro” nor “Onye ye kwo” or any other phrase in your local dialect.

After that, you should identify yourself. So basically, the right way of answering a phone would be by saying: “Hello, Emeka Adamu here”.

You could go ahead and politely ask who the caller is. The person on the other end of the line should identify him or herself, but frequently this is not the case.
Making a call

When placing a call, always state your name along with the name of the person you are calling. Example: “Hello, my name is Rebecca Osas. May I please speak with Ms. Maria Segun?”

After you both parties have identified each other, don’t just start speaking, before starting the conversation use warm greetings like “good morning”, “good evening” or “good noon” depending on the time.

During Calls

Always remember your voice should be considerably pleasant while interacting with the other person over the phone, even when you are having a bad day.

The person on the other hand can’t see your expressions so remember your tone should be apt to express your feelings in the correct form. Try not to sound overly anxious, aggressive or pushy. Your tone of your voice should convey authority and confidence.

While interacting over the phone, don’t chew anything or eat your food. If you were eating, finish you food before you dial the number. If you are reading, please leave the book aside, first concentrate what the other person wishes to convey and then continue with the book. Carrying out other tasks during a phone call is just rude.

After completing the conversation, don’t just hang up. Reconfirm with the receiver whether he has downloaded the correct information or not and do end your conversation with pleasant words like “Take care”, “nice speaking with you” and a warm bye. Never say Goodbye.
Answering some else’s call

It is advisable not to answer someone else’s call, but if it is inevitable or you are sure you have the permission to answer such a call the first thing to do is to identify yourself, ask who is calling and take a message if necessary.

For example, “Hello, I am Ireti Sunday, this is Thomas’ phone”. "Who may I ask is calling, please?" Then you respond to the answer with, "Just a moment please, I will be right back." If you have to put the caller off, say, "I am sorry but Thomas cannot come to the phone right now, May I, please, take a message?" Then the message is repeated back to the caller before saying good-bye.

When the requested party cannot come to the phone, it's best for the person who answers to not give a reason. The person usually shouldn't say that the unavailable person doesn't want to speak to a caller or that he or she is somewhere else — be it in the bathroom or at a doctor's appointment. A simple statement that the person isn’t available is enough.
Wrong Number.
If by mistake you have dialed a wrong number, don’t just hang up, do say sorry and then keep the phone courteously. A simple, "I'm sorry, I dialed the wrong number." would do the trick.
Missed Calls
If you miss a call, make sure you give a call back as the other person might have an important message to convey. Avoid giving missed calls at work places as it irritates the other person.
Interference

If there is any disturbance in the network, don’t just keep speaking for the sake of it; try to call after sometime with a better line. Decrease the volume of the television or turn off the speakers while speaking over the phone as noise acts as a hindrance to effective communication
Conclusion

Phone calls should be about communication between people. Without etiquettes, effective communication is going to be difficult.

In conclusion you should try your best and keep phone calls brief, but friendly.

http://www.giftedgreen.com/content/?q=Telephone-Etiquettes-To-Be-Displayed-At-All-Times-Part-I

1 Like

Re: Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I by infantrydoctor(m): 4:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
How come all these interesting write ups of Giftedgreen are not on front page. Pls we need them there even without comments
Re: Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I by Wisdomkosi(m): 4:42pm On Aug 23, 2014
No problem
Re: Telephone Etiquettes To Be Displayed At All Times – Part I by timilehing(m): 7:28pm On Aug 23, 2014
"ta lon soro" "onye n'ekwu" & hello no b same tin?abi make we con forget our own language cos of one yeye etiquette

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Beg MTN For Me / Etisalat BIS Data Capped!!!! / Powerful Ways To Make Your Blackberry Battery Last Longer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.