Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,850 members, 7,802,724 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre (2326 Views)

Any Rehabilitation Centre In Lagos / Setting Up A Healthcare Facility In Nigeria / How Can Stroke Be Cured? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by y2kplus: 8:58pm On May 02, 2013
Please, I need information on how to go about setting up a post stroke rehabilitation unit. From my research, our hospitals have capacity to provide stroke care after it occurs with a bit of in-house rehabilitation. It is the lack of community after care that I am interested. Is there a possibility of having a state government support with infrastructure?
Anyone with any idea of how many of such centers we have in Nigeria?
We have Social Workers and Occupational therapists to manage the post discharge care. We can link in with surgeries and state hospitals for medical referrals.
This will be a model based on the UK health care system but paid for service or referred by any sponsoring state. What are the hurdles? Will it be feasible? We hope to work from two angles namely:
1. Drop in based therapy
2. Admission based therapy
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by silvasurfa(m): 1:42pm On May 11, 2013
Hi Y2kplus,

Your project is indeed laudable as the challenges of post stroke rehabilitation can be daunting. Unfortunately, in these parts of the world, we are stymied by a dearth of public records (data) and a shallow pool of dedicated health care professionals, social workers or volunteers to draw from.

Concerning your query on the number of such centres available presently in Nigeria (and possibly any other related enquiries you might have), a good place to start might be the Medical Rehabilitation Therapists (Registration) Board of Nigeria (MRTB). MRTB was established by Decree 38 of 1988/Acts M9 LFN 2004 for the regulation and control of the under listed professions in the Health Sector in Nigeria: Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Clinical Audiology, Osteopathic Medicine, Chiropractic Medicine and Prosthetics & Orthotics.

The board is located at Yaba (opposite the old market). You may obtain additional information from their website, www.mrtbnigeria.org.ng

I hope it helps.

If you would like to talk more, you could send me a mail.

My very best wishes.
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by y2kplus: 6:41pm On May 15, 2013
Hi Silvasurfer

You are one in a million. Short, sharp and straight to the point. Thanks for the link and very useful information. I read somewhere today that we have neuro-physio therapists in Nigeria and trained in our Nigerian Universities.
Silvasurfer, what is your view on starting on a 'Make it Simple' model first? Assessing people in their homes and providing equipments and adaptations? Do you think well off Nigerians will buy into this idea?
Meanwhile, I will visit the link you sent.

Regards
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by silvasurfa(m): 1:56am On May 17, 2013
Hi y2kplus,

I'm glad to have been of help.

1) You are right about the presence of neurophysiotherapists in Nigeria. In fact, the physiotherapy curriculum in Nigeria has, over the years, been expanded to accommodate 4 specialization areas for now; Orthopaedics & Sports physiotherapy, Neurological physiotherapy, Ergonomics & Industrial physiotherapy and Cardiopulmonary physiotherapy. Neurological physiotherapy is the fastest growing area of specialization following othopaedics & sports physiotherapy (which has traditionally been perceived as the mainstay of physiotherapy practice).

2) The 'MIS' model you proposed has been in practice for awhile and is quite popular with middle-upper class Nigerians (but not because of the reasons you might think). Challenges of accessibility to healthcare and the welcomed convenience of obviating mind-numbing traffic are huge plusses.

However, there are some formidable challenges that have to be considered if the model is to become not only more common place but financially viable as well. Typically, most people see a physiotherapist for the first time upon referral from a Doctor - in order words, the perception of physiotherapy and what services it can offer is quite low. In addition, and especially considering the class of Nigerians you are targeting, there is a 'status' attached to travelling abroad for medical treatment that goes beyond just having access to world-class medical facilities. My point here being that even among the informed and well-to-do population, an assurance of an accurate diagnosis and comparable quality of treatment/service is no guarantee that they will stick around.

You can hit me up directly at silvasurfa365@gmail.com

As always, my warm wishes
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by y2kplus: 7:48am On May 18, 2013
Hi Silvasurfa,

I cannot but say a big thank you for your nourishing information and guidance on my subject matter. Enlightening. Please check your inbox.

Best Regards
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by silvasurfa(m): 8:18pm On May 18, 2013
Hi Y2kplus,

Thank you for your email and for your approbation.

Please allow me sometime to get back to you on the issues you raised in the mail.

Its been a pleasure.
Re: Setting Up An After Stroke Rehabilitation Centre by y2kplus: 8:19am On May 19, 2013
Your effort and support is highly appreciated.

Regards

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Hospital Sells Zobo Drink In A Blood Bag? / See 10 Serious Problems Girls With Big B00bs Face / Homecare Services Is Needed In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.