Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? (1016 Views)

Custom Bulksms Portal. Is It Worth It? / Does It Worth It? / Ad Sense Earnings: Is It Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by Frameboxx: 3:18am On May 03, 2013
I want to know your opinion. Is it worth it for one to travel to India and be trained in web development?
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by yawatide(f): 10:04am On May 03, 2013
IMHO, even traveling from wherever you are to the US, with its superior infrastructure (compared to Nigeria), to learn web dev doesn't make sense. For something like medicine, pharmacy or other professions along that line, yes, but not web dev. Stay where you are and learn there.

Sure, you could travel out for a conference but not for the sole purpose studying web dev.

Good luck!
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by Frameboxx: 11:41am On May 03, 2013
@Yawatide, pls thank u for your humble opinion. But pls does that mean medicine is more superior than web development? I understand why you said that. Basically, we grew up and directly or indirectly been taught that there is a super-course. that is why a parent can vow that his or her child must study medicine, law or engineering or study nothing. I have seen people that traveled overseas to study music. Can u beat that? Africa is still lagging behind in terms of knowing and properly teaching multimedia web technology. If one can afford it, i believe it's not out of place to travel to India or any other place for that matter to study web development.
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by yawatide(f): 1:35pm On May 03, 2013
OP,

Granted, yes, Medicine is superior to Web development (for one, the former involves years of specialized training and directly involves human life. The latter doesn't. I mean, you can pick up the basics of web dev in a day, if you are up for it) read what I wrote in context, which I probably didn't make clear (apologies in arrears).

My overall point:
How can one study to be a good doctor in a place where you need generator to run an operating room, use old books, sometimes are reusing sterilized products, where there is no steady supply of water and electricity, etc etc? You need to study medicine in a place where everything is at your disposal. That way, if you are in a position where you lack something, you make do with what you have. Web dev on the other hand is different - for one, I learned PHP in 2 weeks. Tell me, which medical field can one pick up everything there is to know in 2 weeks. Hopefully, you get my point. I have told my kids from an early age that I want them to be doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, business people and engineers. Why? These professions have been around from the foundations of this earth and will never go away.

Having said the above, I am definitely not in favor of parents who force their kids to take JAMB 10 times, just so that they can qualify for medical school and so the parents can boast that their kids are doctors. Every one has their own talents. Identify the talent early and groom it, whatever it may be.

1 Like

Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by 185mikel(m): 12:30am On May 04, 2013
@yawa-ti-de
Did you read books to learn php in 2 weeks or did you get someone to teach you? and after the 2 weeks, did you understand php perfectly?
And if one with knowledge of html want to learn php, can studying books(PHP) help to understand the subject? if so, what book can you recommend on php? Thanks in advance.
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by yawatide(f): 6:27pm On May 04, 2013
1) I learned PHP on my own, via a (php4) ebook a fellow nairalander gave me. I would have loved to have someone teach me but I no longer have time for that. I would love to share it with you but unfortunately, the pc the book was on is no more and I think you should be learning the latest php version. How would I go about finding such a book? Go to amazon and search, note the one with the most stars, read the worst comment for that book and if it doesn't apply to you, google for the ebook. Of course, make sure your antivirus program is on point wink

2) No, I didn't know PHP perfectly. No one knows anything perfectly. You learn and add to what you know over time. With what I learned, I was able to put up a website, complete with a mysql database that you could add to, update, delete and search on.

3) How one learns is, and should be a personal preference. I prefer the traditional learning environment since I still believe in the human aspect but, if money and/or time is an issue, get a book and learn on your own. Of course, interact with others to learn from them.

Good luck!
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by mickey5000(m): 10:14am On May 05, 2013
good
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by 185mikel(m): 10:26am On May 05, 2013
Thank you yawatide, i've gotten an ebook on php5 for beginners. if you can study and learn on your own, i believe i can as well. cheers
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by yawatide(f): 1:07pm On May 05, 2013
^^^ Yep, as long as we share the same basic human DNA, you can do whatever I can do, and vice versa wink

Start with a simple project upon completion and gradually build upon that with every one, or use the same project and add something new.

Remember, for every problem you encounter, there will be someone else who has encountered a similar problem. Google for it and I bet you, you will find the solution.

Good luck!
Re: Is It Worth It To Travel To India To Study Web Development? by teemy(m): 1:15am On May 07, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
^^^ Yep, as long as we share the same basic human DNA, ...
lol, really?

(1) (Reply)

Another CSS Challenge / Egypt Distributes Locally Produced Tablets To University Students / My Adsense Was Taken Down By Google.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.