Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? (3769 Views)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / Farmers In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by naijacutee(f): 11:28am On Apr 16, 2008
Just curious - Is there anyone who grows crops for a living on Nairaland?
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by lacicrips(m): 3:45pm On Jun 18, 2009
I used to back then when I was in the village. I really miss those days. Hope to go back again, even if it's just a week.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Thethy(m): 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2009
I am into animal husbandry full time,i.e snail and grasscutter farming.
You can check my profile.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by topsy25(m): 2:48pm On Jul 02, 2009
Wish to go for crop farming, but my work is not given me the time needed. What can i do?

@Thethy,

How's is the snail business doing
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by femo2000(m): 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
Does anyone have an idea what is the yield per hectare for the following crops in Nija

1, soya beans cheesy
2, Maize smiley
3, Sorghum
4, Wheat grin

Your answers will be apreciated. tanx
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Fhemmmy: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
femo2000:

Does anyone have an idea what is the yield per hectare for the following crops in Nija

1, soya beans cheesy
2, Maize smiley
3, Sorghum
4, Wheat grin

Why dont you try to contact the ministry of agriculture, they might be able to get you the necessary info.
I think that is what they are there for.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by superior1: 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2009
yep, i am one
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Ejiogbe(m): 5:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
Yes, i do. I am into full time maize and cassava planting cum processing.

Crop farming is highly profitable. Hi Topsy25, it is possible to engage in farming by proxy, if your job

is disturbing.You only need to do a lot of planning and organization , plus weekend farm site inspection.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by stagger: 9:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
for me, i'm going into cow business.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by naijacutee(f): 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2009
femo2000:

1, soya beans cheesy
2, Maize smiley
3, Sorghum
4, Wheat grin

Have you not heard that "what you sow, you shall reap"? The yield depends on what you plant there in the first place. This is the root of our 419 culture! Trust Nigerians to be more interested in the money at the end, than the hardwork at the beginning.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by captured(f): 7:48am On Jul 03, 2009
My mum is the pro and am her righthand man.
we are into cat fish, smail and pigs.
we also grow enough vegetables so we dont buy ewedu, moi moi leave, orange, banana, mango and coconut
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by FBS: 8:40am On Jul 03, 2009
Now I can say that it used to be fun in those days. growing cassava, yam, tomatoes, pineapple etc. . .
Them good old days. wink
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Nezan(m): 9:44am On Jul 03, 2009
This one na online farming abi?
grin
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by bidemmi: 2:09pm On Jul 03, 2009
you can`t know for sure the yield per hectare of a particular crop. it depends on a lot of factors like breed of crop whose seed you are planting, the soil type of your farm land (history, location, slope,etc), how you apply the required fertilizer, weeding, a lot of things.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by steaming(f): 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
@thethy, i followed your link and was very impressed by what i read. Nice one i must say! Music to my ears.

i have printed them out to study extensively at home. You would be hearing from me soon by God's grace.

thanx alot!
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Thethy(m): 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ steaming,
Thanks for your comments.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by prtiflower: 10:47am On Jul 04, 2009
This thread is very interesting. I always loved having my Little farm as a child. I think there is so much to be gained and money to be made in Agriculture in Nigeria (Not to mention the employment that it will create). I totally want to go into farming in the future. The snail link was also "music to my ears"!!
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by MrCrackles(m): 10:53am On Jul 04, 2009
Farmers on nairaland? shocked grin
I thought i was the only one. . . . . .I grow cannabis! tongue
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by royalicon(m): 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2009
Few i guess. I practiced snail farming.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by oge4real(f): 6:58pm On Jul 04, 2009
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Taito007(m): 8:42pm On Jul 04, 2009
I am into catfish farming and believe me it a good business (if you know what you are doing). Planning and organisation is the key thing like in any business.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by lacicrips(m): 10:19am On Jul 05, 2009
Farming is a very lucrative business, I don't know why so many Nigerians run away from it. They have this idea that farming is only for the villagers, what an absurd thinking.

I'm gathering some money now to go invest in my grandfather's lands that are scattered all over the village. I'll come tell you my story soon.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by ElRazur: 2:03pm On Jul 05, 2009
Thethy:

I am into animal husbandry full time,i.e snail and grasscutter farming.
You can check my profile.

Nice one. I would consider calling you to discuss a few things once am in naija. I love shi.t like this. cool
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Nezan(m): 10:23am On Jul 06, 2009
wy dm dy?
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by favcom(m): 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2009
used to farm those days in the village. it was very basic farming but it was fun.
kind of miss it now
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Thethy(m): 9:48pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ ElRazur ,

I will be expecting to hear from you when you are in Naija.

Thanks.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by nagoma(m): 10:30am On Jul 08, 2009
I have tried farming in the past but the result wasnt so good (yam and Maize)  so I gave up. I have gathered  the courage to resume farm work this year. The rains came late this year so I am in still planting after clearance and the first ploughing. I have planted 10 hectres of ground nuts and millet. I have also  planted some beniseed and beans. It is very promising as I have better plans for supervision this time. The challenge is water as farmers are totally dependent on the rains which can fail in some parts of the coutry. I also have a small orchard of 300 orange trees and 250 special breed of mango. I intend to expand this . I have made 2 harvests from a small fish pond ( I started fish farming 15 months ago )- It is really good if you have the logistics right ; I will expand that as well.
Re: Are There Any Farmers On Nairaland? by Thethy(m): 11:37am On Jul 08, 2009
@ nagoma,

I realize you have interest in farming. Incorporating grasscutter farming in to you maize & cassava farming project will yield good return.Read free materials on grasscutter farming @ http://www.articlesbase.com/article-tags/grasscutter-farming-in-nigeria

Thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Withdraw Your Paypal Funds,receive Paypal In Nigerian Bank Account / Wearetogether.ng COVID-19 Stimulus Package By Nigerian Startups. / How To Make Money On Fiverr And Upwork Without Doing Any Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.