Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? (1068 Views)

Teach Me How To Become A Programmer / Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / Who Is A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by WhiZTiM(m): 4:49am On May 04, 2013
Greetings and peace offerings from the land of sand and sun....!!!

I had a chat with someone earlier this year... And I Realized the usefulness and several advantages of a personal, and a tiny and technically inclined blog...
Now, I have come to a decision of setting up one....

$$$###$$$
You don't have to understand this.... Just share your opinions on anyone you know....

QUESTIONS arise and of-cause, constraints....
$$CONSTRAINTS
$$i am quite comfortable with php....
$$I've got no interest in having ANY OTHER deep knowledge of web-programming or ANY Web-framework... So please I would prefer the easier way...
$$I will need a Syntax highlighter to post code snippets
$$I have a domain with GoDaddy LCC
$$..diversification is a bit important, should in case I want to redirect a sub domain to a VPS server to run some funny services in future...(I guess this involves those Namesever, dns, blah blah blah>
$$... Simple Upload management and Downloads.... Large media files will NOT be posted ever.
$$... Simple user management (from Admin down to Unregistered viewers...
$$.... analytics NOT important.... But may be good if available...
$$.... Revenue generation not important for now.... But should be able to integrate a bit easily in future.

$$QUESTIONS
$$Should I host my website(blog) with them(GoDaddy)?
$Or who should I host it with?
$$What CMS should I use that will give me (widgets? Plugins?) syntax highlights for code snippets...?
$$Integration with Facebook and/or any code pasting or virtual source compilers??
$$Simple revenue generation? Ads?? Which Ad service provider? Google?
$$What are the estimated financial implications??

$WHAT else should I consider?

Please, recommendations... Contributions... and also, advise me ....cause I am a bit of a lazy n00b IN THIS KIND OF ENDEAVOUR
Thanks!
Timothy.....
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 6:44am On May 04, 2013
Please I need same advice
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by spikesC(m): 7:18am On May 04, 2013
I would have said wordpress, but i don't want to say one thing now and my oga at the top will come and say it's another thing
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Otuabaroku: 9:05am On May 04, 2013
Yes, with the general review, Godday is not bad idea. Concerning your requirement, WordPress would meet your requirement completely. About the revenue and advert, I advise you start with Google,when you have built enough traffic, you can decide to diversify to other advertisement options. About financial implication, it is up to you. If you want to get the job done by yourself, then, the money you will spend is that of hosting. If you want to contract it out, then it depends on the quality of job that you want .

My general advice, please venture into this if you think it is your passion and you have the perseverance to nurture it to the point it starts generating revenue. this is because, without this, you might find yourself abandoning it after the first year.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 9:05am On May 04, 2013
spikes C: I would have said wordpress, but i don't want to say one thing now and my oga at the top will come and say it's another thing
please how is wordpress better than blogger.com, cus from what i noticed wordpress is way far more expensive than blogger.com
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by spikesC(m): 2:26pm On May 04, 2013
Raymondenyi:
please how is wordpress better than blogger.com, cus from what i noticed wordpress is way far more expensive than blogger.com

expensive in terms of?

Wordpress gives you the chance to use your own top level domain.
It is totally customizable and has a wide development community
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by sarutobi: 2:26pm On May 04, 2013
Host should be namecheap, they even accept naira mastercard. They have a package for arnd 10dolls per month
CMS should wordpress. no other cms is better for blogging with all th plugin, widget, facebook integration etc stuff. its is free. just download and run the install script.
Ads should be adsense. its by far has the highest payout and u are backed by google's integrity (no cheating)

Goodluck.
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by sarutobi: 2:32pm On May 04, 2013
Host should be namecheap, they even accept naira mastercard. They have a package for arnd 10dolls per month
CMS should wordpress. no other cms is better for blogging with all th plugin, widget, facebook integration etc stuff. its is free. just download and run the install script.
Ads should be adsense. its by far has the highest payout and u are backed by google's integrity (no cheating)

Or to go the cheapest way, signup for a blogger or wordpress account and set up ur blog(free)+ hosting free. but getting templates for it can be a worry. Also ur address will be like whiztimblahblah.blospot.com or whiztimblahblah. except u purchase a domain name and point it to ur blog. The domain name will cost u like 10 dolls a yr.

Goodluck.
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by spikesC(m): 2:48pm On May 04, 2013
For hosting, i use inmotionhosting.com
Never had a downtime before wink

2 Likes

Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 04, 2013
Raymondenyi:
So your better means cost, good luck on next project.
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 04, 2013
spikes C:

expensive in terms of?

Wordpress gives you the chance to use your own top level domain.
It is totally customizable and has a wide development community

Okey! Thanx boss, I'll do just rhat I am gonna create a blog right away, with wordpress, cus it even seem the blogger.com is not giving me n what I really need , thankx so much, I really appreciate, pls feel free to drop more ideas I'll really appreciate this in no small way!
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by spikesC(m): 4:02pm On May 04, 2013
Raymondenyi:

Okey! Thanx boss, I'll do just rhat I am gonna create a blog right away, with wordpress, cus it even seem the blogger.com is not giving me n what I really need , thankx so much, I really appreciate, pls feel free to drop more ideas I'll really appreciate this in no small way!

errrm..i support standalone wordpress on your own domain/hosting than
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by WhiZTiM(m): 7:16pm On May 04, 2013
Otuabaroku: Yes, with the general review, Godday is not bad idea. Concerning your requirement, WordPress would meet your requirement completely. About the revenue and advert, I advise you start with Google,when you have built enough traffic, you can decide to diversify to other advertisement options. About financial implication, it is up to you. If you want to get the job done by yourself, then, the money you will spend is that of hosting. If you want to contract it out, then it depends on the quality of job that you want .

My general advice, please venture into this if you think it is your passion and you have the perseverance to nurture it to the point it starts generating revenue. this is because, without this, you might find yourself abandoning it after the first year.

Best of luck.

....Thanks for the heads up....
No, I am not contracting it out to anyone... What's the point of paying someone to design a site when I have absolutely no user base? and would probably grow very very very slowly?? And there are simple web templates to use for CMSs..??
I have a passion for it.... I have currently budgeted about N30, 000(max) as a small capital for it for 1year... (hosting, Internet subscriptions, contingencies, etc)
...I would do a few jobs to compensate for that money.... (I am an undergraduate student partially sponsoring myself)....

Well... Another reason for having the site is for some sort of Reference and a Portfolio....
...from the economic point of view... After some 6 to 7 months, when I may probably have some handy stuff up there... I may get a bit more lucky in outsourcing freelance programming jobs locally and over the Internet....

Also, I would pay, for the Hosting on a 1year upfront.
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by WhiZTiM(m): 7:17pm On May 04, 2013
spikes C: I would have said wordpress, but i don't want to say one thing now and my oga at the top will come and say it's another thing
Thanks... A lot Amigo :-) ..: - )
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by WhiZTiM(m): 7:21pm On May 04, 2013
sarutobi: Host should be namecheap, they even accept naira mastercard. They have a package for arnd 10dolls per month

Or to go the cheapest way, signup for a blogger or wordpress account and set up ur blog(free)+ hosting free. but getting templates for it can be a worry. Also ur address will be like whiztimblahblah.blospot.com or whiztimblahblah. except u purchase a domain name and point it to ur blog. The domain name will cost u like 10 dolls a yr.

Goodluck.
Thanks a lot for the info!!!!
I actually own http://whiztim.com
And I have a subdomain, http://blog.whiztim.com routed to my account.
....It seems blogger ain't that costumizable....
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by WhiZTiM(m): 7:23pm On May 04, 2013
OK... So, first conclusion..... GoDaddy.com will be my hosts and Wordpress would be my CMS!!
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 04, 2013
please what is CMS? and how do I pay for the hosting up front; also please I'll waanna know what is the advantage of hosting a website. thanx my big brothers in the house in advance. I need urgent answers please
Re: A Programmer's Personal Blog~~ Questions? by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 05, 2013
I juat opened a Blog with wordpress, please how do I connect it to google adsense, ples need an answer, I tried googling it, but couldn't mek ot useful information from the next. thanx in advance

(1) (Reply)

Advice Need For A 12yr Old Who Wants Computer Knowledge / Is This Really Possible To Do? Can You Do This? / Online Ping Website Tool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.