Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,951 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Too Much Freedom In Nigeria ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Too Much Freedom In Nigeria ? (545 Views)

Biafran Athlete Dedicates Victory To Biafra Freedom In Luxembourg / A Call For America To Support Freedom In Kurdistan&biafra. / Buhari's Statement On AIT: A New Dawn For Press Freedom In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Too Much Freedom In Nigeria ? by Curiouscity(m): 6:15pm On May 04, 2013
As we arrive home from the farm about midday today, my wife, Nkechi, reminded me the need to observe our conjugal siesta as soon as we can. Her reason being that when the kids are back from school later in the day, we will no more have such luxury as we occupy a single room that serves as a living room, bedroom, dining room and study for me, my wife, and my three kids.
We were still taking our `nap’ when we were ‘awaken’ by the sound of our kids singing one the of their marching on their way from school. As they came nearer, the wordings of the songs became clearer. Here is the lyrics of their marching song:
Nigeria, my country, the land of liberty and freedom!
On entering the house, my first son, Bassey, asked his mother the difference between liberty and freedom. My wife who didn’t know the answer in turn asked me, and I couldn’t recall the answer immediately, so I had to find my Oxford dictionary(by Michael West). I was still searching for the dictionary when my daughter, Teju, curiously asked; “Daddy, what are the freedom we have as Nigerians?”. Before I could muster courage to compose any answer, their lunch was served and all their attention was now on the meal. While hoping Glory will not remember her question again after their lunch, I quickly said to myself, “yes, we have freedom in this country, but what are those freedom and how do they benefit me?” Here are the things that came to my head;
Freedom to be unemployed many years after finishing ‘standard six’.
Freedom to break any rule or law provided I have money to settle the men/women in uniform or belong to a class(I don’t mean the one with a teacher) .
Freedom to forgo farming and fishing as oil spills have destroyed our fresh water sources and our farmlands.
Freedom from any form of taxation except I work in the civil service or cooperate institution. Thank God I’m just a farmer!!
Freedom to drive, ride, or walk on any side of the road provided I can shout down on any other road user who dare to question me.
Freedom to complain anything the government does or doesn’t do even when I don’t know what it means to be a follower and will keep quiet as soon I’m approach for appointment or contract.
Hmmm!! When that political appointment comes, I will be free to treat the public funds/assets as if they are my private money/properties. If anyone questions me, I deal with him/her be sending the state agents against the person.
Freedom to be (s)elected to any public office provided I have godfathers and promise to pay my due to them. My duty is to make sure I satisfy my godfathers, after all I have my freedom.
Freedom to stay without power(light) for weeks and if I don’t like that, I’m so free to buy a private generator(‘I pass my neighbour) . Meanwhile Papa Tunde just bought his own, but no money to buy fuel.
Freedom to play my four battery turn table record as loud as I can, any neighbour that does not like that should go buy his/her own.
Freedom to block our street anytime Nkechi gives birth and we go for child dedication or any Owambe I feel like throwing with my palm oil money.
As a Christian, I’m free to live in the Northern part of the country provided I am ready to meet my saviour any time an Almarjiri is ready to go for his 72 virgins.
Which one again oooo!! Still thinking, I will come back with more. Meanwhile let me answer this man knocking my door as if I sent him to go and buy generator without money for petrol.
But before I go, I think I now know the difference between Liberty and Freedom as it applies to my own case. ‘Liberty’ means having the power to choose whatever I want to do, while ‘Freedom’ is the state of not being held accountable for my bad choices that mostly lead to civil and criminal offense(please quote me NOT).

1 Like

Re: Too Much Freedom In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 04, 2013
Will be back!!

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Fear Of Kidnap Grips Governors / Problem Of Nigeria: Who? / Imo Governor, Okorocha Formally Joins APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.