Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,179 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates (16694 Views)

PSC Bars Policemen From Carrying Vips’ Handbags, Umbrellas / List Of Private Jet Owners In Nigeria (pictures) / Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by etunoman76(m): 7:14am On May 06, 2013
The revolution sweeping through the nation's aviation industry is likely to cause discomfort to private jet owners as a new policy introduced by the Federal Government has come up with stringent conditions for their operations.

The long awaited National Civil Aviation Policy, 2013, which took the Federal Government over one year to prepare, was finally unveiled on Friday with severe rules for private jet owners in the country.

The policy has barred individuals with private jets from carrying their friends and business associates on board the aircraft, stating that only members of their families are allowed aboard.

It states further that companies with private jets are permitted to carry only their employees or members of the Boards of Directors.

Moreover, the policy has also directed that the identities of all passengers onboard any private jet must be made known through a manifest before air traffic control clearance will be sought.

It states, "Approval or clearance from the Director-General, NCAA, will not be required from Nigerians operating non-revenue flights with appropriate insurance policies in the following cases: "For private aircraft owned or leased by individuals, only the family members of the owner/lessee of the aircraft will be permitted on board as passengers; "For private aircraft owned or leased by companies or corporate entities, only the employees and members of the Board of Directors of the company will be permitted on board as passengers.

"For aircraft belonging to non-scheduled or scheduled operators, only the employees and members of the Board of Directors of the company or the corporation may be permitted on board as passengers; all operators will declare the identities of all passengers on non-revenue charter flights in the appropriate general declaration forms prior to obtaining ATC clearance.

"Nigerian carriers operating revenue passenger charter flights will be required to have a current non-scheduled or scheduled operator permit with operations manual that contains flight duty time limitations, which will be strictly monitored on regular basis."

Similarly, the Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, has directed that all foreign-registered private jets will no longer be allowed to stay in the country beyond 15 days as recommended by the NCAP.

She, however, said foreign-registered private jets on special mission in Nigeria would be allowed to stay for only 60 days, following a special approval from the office of the minister.

Part VII of the NCAP 2013, which deals with general aviation (private jets), read in part, "Retention of foreign registered aircraft in Nigeria will not be permitted beyond a period of 15 days from date of entry. However, the Minister of Aviation may, in certain circumstances, grant the extension of this period for up to 60 days."

The development will affect some pastors, business moguls, governors and politicians, whose private jets are currently carrying registration of countries like the United States, United Kingdom and South Africa among others.

Over 70 per cent of private jets in the country are carrying foreign registration, a former Managing Director of Aerocontractors Airlines, Captain Akin George, has said.

Some industry chief executive officers said the new policy might force most of the business moguls and pastors, whose private jets are currently carrying foreign registration, to fly their jets outside the country every 15 days in order to comply with the policy.

The other option for owners of private jets with foreign registration is to de-register them and subsequently register them in Nigeria, some industry experts have said.

"I think what the government is saying is that most of these people should go and de-register their planes and put them on Nigerian registration," an industry CEO, who pleaded anonymity, told our correspondent.

Some business moguls and pastors, who have their private jets registered in foreign countries are: Pastor Enoch Adeboye of the Redeemed Christian Church of God; Pastor David Oyedepo of the Living Faith Church; President, Christian Association of Nigeria; Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, Alhaji Aliko Dangote of the Dangote Group; Mr. Jimoh Ibahim of Global Fleet; Chief Mike Adenuga of Globacom; and Chief Harry Akande.

State governments, whose jets carry foreign registration numbers, include Akwa Ibom and Rivers states.

The policy has, however, attracted criticisms from industry stakeholders with only a few supporting it.

On the declaration of the identities of all passengers on board a private jet flight, aviation experts said there was no where in the world where such a rule was obtainable; adding that the filing of manifest for private aircraft was not known in international aviation circle.

They said no single country required filing of manifest for local travel in a private aircraft.

An aviation expert and former Military Commandant, Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Group Captain John Ojikutu, said the demand for passengers' manifest on private aircraft could only be the responsibility of the State Security Services.

"The need for passengers' manifest on private aircraft, if required, can only be the responsibility of the State Security Services, and in the case of private aircraft on international flight, the Nigerian Immigration Service," he said.

On the policy allowing only family members and employees/members of Board of Directors on board private aircraft owned by individuals and corporate bodies, respectively, industry experts said the rule was not practicable.

An aviation lawyer, who spoke under condition of anonymity, said, "This new policy means that pastors and business moguls who own private jets cannot carry business associates or friends on board their aircraft. Also, if the jets belong to their churches or companies, it means they cannot carry on board their family members.

"Contrary to this policy, the acceptable standard all over the world is that private aircraft owners are given opportunity by law and regulation to put the aircraft to use for the purpose for which they are being bought."

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/private-jet-owners-barred-from-carrying-friends-associates/
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by guy1234: 7:51am On May 06, 2013
Simply one word:madness.

3 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by aminho(m): 7:57am On May 06, 2013
Then GEj should tell us who he is flying with in his Nig Air force fleet cus only patience and baby elephant will be allowed in meaning no more rides 4 labaran maku and reauben abbati

27 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Omen100(m): 8:14am On May 06, 2013
I am kind of like thinking out laud right now, are they trying to tell me or us now that, Bishop Oyedepo can't ferry Pastor. Adeboye or vise-vase, they are all jokers.

2 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by kokoA(m): 8:21am On May 06, 2013
Wetin concern me? undecided I get jet? If dem want make dem ban private jet sef.

5 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Nobody: 8:35am On May 06, 2013
What madness, was the jet bought with their money? Haba, I won't be surprised if that part of the policy was smuggled in to try and justify the amaechi incident.

This is the fight of the elites, they should do their stuff.

7 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by firstolalekan(m): 8:49am On May 06, 2013
Hmn!

PDP.

Peopld decieving people!

All na wash.
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by ebamma(m): 8:50am On May 06, 2013
wetin concern me, i never even buy bicycle not to talk of private jet, atleast by the time were i go get money to buy jet the law go change
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Truckpusher(m): 8:51am On May 06, 2013
aminho: Then GEj should tell us who he is flying with in his Nig Air force fleet cus only patience and baby elephant will be allowed in meaning no more rides 4 labaran maku and reauben abbati
Omg! Are you this dumb?

7 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by KnowAll(m): 8:51am On May 06, 2013
These are one of those rules written in d staturory books but cannot be enforced. Obviously it can be enforced when a Governor like Rotimi Amechi is marooned somewhere with other VIP's on board the NCAAP or whatever their acronym is would turn around and remind d Governor he is not allowed to carry any other person on board except his immediate family.

Pertinent question though? If d plane belongs to d state as purported by d Governor does that not give d commisioners and family, special adviser's & family, LG Chairman, Councillors, state civil servants and their families, state teachers, lecturers, state reps in house of reps & senate in fact d whole citizens of d state d same right to ride on d plane, since d plane was bought or leased using d state's commonwealth.

If this law is challenge in court it will be defeated wholesomely without any doubt.

14 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Dee60: 8:52am On May 06, 2013
Another display of incompetence.

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by AmmyMummy(f): 8:52am On May 06, 2013
No problem, am dumpin dis my jet 4 gud

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Truckpusher(m): 8:53am On May 06, 2013
blink182: What madness, was the jet bought with their money? Haba, I won't be surprised if that part of the policy was smuggled in to try and justify the amaechi incident.

This is the fight of the elites, they should do their stuff.
Seriously! You should be going back to kindergarten ok...

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by KingsleyOGBITI(m): 8:54am On May 06, 2013
Whoa so what will happen if a Church want to invite another Minister from another church and bring the person with their private Jet.

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by johndwayy(m): 8:55am On May 06, 2013
The policy is just a political move to prevent those giving Jonathan headache ahead of 2015 campaign.Its a good way of restricting opposition movement.What will Nigeria as a nation benefit from this new policy? Veri soon private cars will be restricted to carrying only family members. See hw innovative nigeria is and some people are saying that dis government is not despotic.smh

11 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by yuzedo: 8:56am On May 06, 2013
oH God! So how will I carryed my freind and well-wisher and babes when I want to go from Banana Island to anywere? My grate frend alaji dannyboy. Dangote will be very hartbroked becors we plan to do Nelly party in d sky. GEJ is your fault. Oh am cryin in my big jip embarassed embarassed angry

6 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by dulphines: 8:56am On May 06, 2013
Let me quickly go and re-register my Jet.
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by playcharles(m): 8:59am On May 06, 2013
no problem....Psquare it seemz u guyz wont be gettin free ride on my jet anymore... go get urs

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by ooofreezy(m): 8:59am On May 06, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shuow!!! this policies are just too ambiguos and its only a matter of time before such policies are been violated and rendered ineffective.
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by duality(m): 9:00am On May 06, 2013
honestly, some use their private jets as commercial airlines. when you see private jets flying like commercial, something is definitely wrong somewhere. however, some grey areas need to be looked into. Nigeria needs effective regulation and that is what will save this country. unfortunately, we always look at things from the political angle.

If you keep using your private car to load obalende- CMS, one day that Agbero man will challenge you. Its natural. But in Nigeria people must always read political meaning to every thing.

4 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Nobody: 9:01am On May 06, 2013
Rubbish.

I thought they were introducing a 50% tax on all private jets in the country.

Hiss...

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by WIZGUY69(m): 9:01am On May 06, 2013
I SWEAR 2 GOD! UNA JUST DEY PLAY....STUPID LAW! COME TO THINK OF IT HOW MANY JET SEF DID WE HAVE IN NIGERIA.. WEY ALl DIS LAW DEY GUIDE...DEY RE JUST DISCOURAGING PPLE 4RM OWNING PRIVATE...(wetin hapen b say money wey i wan use buy jet i go go use am arrange convoy dey cause go slow b dat)

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Fogman(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2013
All this because of 2015

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Fogman(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2013
All this because of 2015
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by MadCow1: 9:03am On May 06, 2013
WTF is this shit?!

Its like saying that a Man cannot carry his friends inside his own car. This is some major bullshit.

2 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by solomon111(m): 9:03am On May 06, 2013
Very good.
They should make the purchase of private jets 'unpalatable'.
Btw,if owners of private jets starts carrying everybody,then it would adversely affect commercial airlines which could lead to a devastating effect on the economy.
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by idupaul: 9:05am On May 06, 2013
Arrant nonsense..This govt is full of dullards who have no respect for sensibility and logic of even the minutest proportions

6 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by codedguy1(m): 9:05am On May 06, 2013
They will soon start telling us who should enter our cars and houses.

What is wrong with these people sef?

3 Likes

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Nobody: 9:05am On May 06, 2013
This guys re crazy. . . Me wei de prepare to buy my own jet next month. . Them mean say i no go flex go shoppin in dubai wit my baby girl? Madness de worry them sef!
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by chiswaggs: 9:07am On May 06, 2013
Which also means I can carry only my family members in my car! Has everybody in Nigeria really gone mad? Is this in an effort to witch-hunt Rotimi? This your president is actually M**.
Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by Ishilove: 9:09am On May 06, 2013
yuzedo: oH God! So how will I carryed my freind and well-wisher and babes when I want to go from Banana Island to anywere? My grate frend alaji dannyboy. Dangote will be very hartbroked becors we plan to do Nelly party in d sky. GEJ is your fault. Oh am cryin in my big jip embarassed embarassed angry
Yuzedo's alter ego, Sweetus, is so blaady hilarious!! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Private-Jet Owners Barred From Carrying Friends And Associates by iamswizz(m): 9:09am On May 06, 2013
g

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Kinsman Takes Buhari To Court Over Certificate Issue / Kasimu Abdulkarim Takes Over From Jude Egbudom As GOC 2div. Nigerian Army / Buhari To EFCC: Return N10bn To NBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.