Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. (2204 Views)

Learning Resource Center(lrc) From Programmers/developers/coders / Are There Any Christian Coders/programmers? / Beginning Coders Get Dirty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by SayoMarvel(m): 2:28pm On Apr 17, 2008
Computer = Hardware + Software. We have programmed computers and i believe we should get a telescope and look far ahead of us and ask ourselves this question, "Can there ever be a technological development that is greater and better than computer?". I want you people to answer this question that is bothering the mind of many programmers. I want you to also share the reason for your answer.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by Ghenghis(m): 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2008
Yes, the modern computer is truly great in terms of the social changes it has brought into our lives but i'm sure we ca still do better.
So let me dream and ask a few questions

1) Would the discovery of time travel be better than computers
2) Would the discovery of cold fusion be better than computers
3) What of the discovery of the cure for aids
4) , Cryogenics
5) , Robotics
6) planets that humans can relocate to
7) the vehicles to take them there , shocked

There loads of stuff humans can discover, we've only just started ,
So let everyone get busy and not think Computers are the peak of human ingenuity, after all we're still talking about a discovery thats at least 50 years old(Von Newman machine)
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by Hayorbahmy(m): 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2008
If there would be any other invention or technological developmement that would be greater than the computer (which has a very high possibilty) it would be traced back to modern computer because of the indispensable nature of the computer(it is used in all areas,sectors and walks of life) and like Ghengis said we would have the robots(which is mainly Artificial Intelligence),Cryogenics etc.
But they would all have their root in computers.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by javalove(m): 7:41pm On Apr 17, 2008
There cannot be any invention greater than computers ---why? Cos computers have become indispensable to our lives such that any new invention or discovery would need computers for it success. There can only be better computers, maybe computers that, ---- i dont know actually but i feel there cannot be inventions greater than computers. Future inventions would need them Robotics, HIV/AIDS and all have their solutions revolving round computers,
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by Ghenghis(m): 8:18pm On Apr 17, 2008
@javalove you just like computers (we all like them but , )

If you really think about it , what are the major advancements in computing these days ?

Computers haven't really change in the last 50 years, they've basically gotten smaller ,

For instance which is more important the invention of the transistor or computers
The cure for small pox, polio vaccine or computers

Ability to do open heart surgery,

You've forgotten that computers are really just a tool, like a cool screw driver or drilling machine ,

The problem with computing these days is that its mostly the problem,
its not pervasive enough
there's so much attention given to it (unnecessarily)

That's why for example, you have more IT people in banks than bankers
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by javalove(m): 8:42pm On Apr 17, 2008
@Gbenghis

Hmmm, well said, open heart surgeries and all that would not have been possible without computers. Its more than a tool. Its the father of all inventions and no invention would stand on its 2 legs without them.

Its getting smaller, ? Sure and better too, Computers dont mean laptops or desktops A mobile phone could be reffered to as a computer and al other stuffd
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by uspry1(f): 9:31pm On Apr 17, 2008
Cool discovery of touch-screen LCD TV projector visually without using computer and keyboard anymore! Just like the cartooned "The Jetson".
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by allonym: 11:22pm On Apr 17, 2008
And I can trace the origin of computes back to electronics and concepts in math. So, what is your point. Computes didn't just appear fully formed. There is plenty of technological and mathematical achievements that are needed to make it possible. Also, any future development requires more than just computes. No matter how you slice it, a compute is just a glorified calculator or abacus. It only does exactly what it is told to do.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Apr 18, 2008
I think the next level is to move from hardware to bio-ware( programming for the human mind and body). I believe there are scientists working on such already. Allowing people access information and process it by power of mind and have the information wired out to the right places. One application would be with disabled people. In the area of robotics,more and more money is being pumped into such.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by aphoe(m): 9:24am On Apr 18, 2008
one can hardly tell whats going to be next, people who have tried predicting the future of technology have usual failed. we are supposed to expect far more that what we now have - something that we dont have names for right now nor we can imagine.

but let me borrow a few points from Philip Emeagwali's prediction of the future of IT in the next 100 years
[list]
[li]the PC will be as powerful as todays internet[/li]
[li]telepathic mail (t-mail) will replace e-mail. you will be able to send and receive emails without a computer gadget[/li]
[li]femi kuti and janet jackson of those days will be able to perform live on the same sage in say south africa, while they in their respective countries[/li]
[/list]

some of them might sound funny and stupid but remember that IBM's chief said in the 1950s that only about 2 PCs would be sold outside the Research and business fields. he was totally wrong
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by sbucareer(f): 10:28am On Apr 18, 2008

Digital circuitry and computers have been the ever greatest man achievement in the last century. Any new advancement will follow this trend. If you understand digital electronics the basis for most technological break through, you will find out that every technology on earth today uses some form of digital encoding signals for communication.

However, binary, the method of this communication has begun another big research in the last decade. We are now beginning to understand nanotechnology , biotechnology , these technologies are the core descendant of modern digital circuitry.

Furthermore, for us to design any system that could operate at the level of matter on the atomic and molecular scale, that would be the beginning of our end as an advance civilization. Remember that every force there is an opposite and equal force. If we look at the break-through of new technologies, the demographic of our earth is been shaped by it invention.

Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by javalove(m): 7:10pm On Apr 18, 2008
i m loving this discussion, kudos to u starter,
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by luckyCO(m): 12:16pm On Apr 23, 2008
We could have an invention greater than computer but the invention must be traced to modern computing. Meaning that computer practice would be used to achieve the process like someone said here.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by SayoMarvel(m): 11:51am On Apr 27, 2008
I don't think there can be another technology better than computer, simply because any new invention will be computer-oriented. But looking into the future, i predict that a time will come when we will use java.io.*; package to open the input/output stream of the human brain, remove corrupt thoughts in form of viruses. No more crime, no more corruption. Don't see too far, its step by step and let the future unravel what it holds.
-peace out.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by kambo(m): 3:43pm On May 06, 2008
will there a be a technology greater than the computer? yes. if enuff knowledged is diffused and most of the students in third world countries have access to the kind of information researchers in 1st world countries have then we would have more 'processors' i.e human minds,working on the myriads of problems needed to usher in the new era. for now most break thrus happen in the west ,cuz the research and learning conditions there are more conducive.
physics is the backbone of the modern computing age cuz if a way of using electrons to encode data werent discoverd we would have the RAM's on the pc. if physics finds a way of finding out why matter has weight and reversing it, then we in a new age some how,
a thief can zap all the cars in a car lot put it in his pocket and unzap them some where else. if nano technology ,still physics ,can alter ,microscopically genetic structure of metals,rubber etc, then cars will not squash during an accident, etc.
as a matter of fact, the computer age would have been delayed if not for the rush to put a man in space due to rivalry betw US and USSR ,this made them task the 'human processors' , human minds, they had to produce an answer. in the same vein the scientific discoveries during WW2 was accelerated cuz of crises , but today what are 3rd world presidents thinking of - lands , cars , money- while large ,very large quantities of processors use their invaluable gifts, their minds , to think about making a living, what to eat, regular sex and of course Silly Arsenal and FA cup stuff. not as if these stuff aint good,
but its more like what we are celebrating as break thru's could be accelerated.in fact to theoreticians , the achievements we see today will look so primitive ,if and only if , knowledge is produced . that's why ,stallman is right. knowledge should be free.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by SayoMarvel(m): 4:15pm On May 07, 2008
kambo:

will there a be a technology greater than the computer? yes. if enough knowledged is diffused and most of the students in third world countries have access to the kind of information researchers in 1st world countries have then we would have more 'processors' i.e human minds,working on the myriads of problems needed to usher in the new era. for now most break thrus happen in the west ,because the research and learning conditions there are more conducive.
physics is the backbone of the modern computing age because if a way of using electrons to encode data werent discoverd we would have the RAM's on the pc. if physics finds a way of finding out why matter has weight and reversing it, then we in a new age some how,
a thief can zap all the cars in a car lot put it in his pocket and unzap them some where else. if nano technology ,still physics ,can alter ,microscopically genetic structure of metals,rubber etc, then cars will not squash during an accident, etc.
as a matter of fact, the computer age would have been delayed if not for the rush to put a man in space due to rivalry betw US and USSR ,this made them task the 'human processors' , human minds, they had to produce an answer. in the same vein the scientific discoveries during WW2 was accelerated because of crises , but today what are 3rd world presidents thinking of - lands , cars , money- while large ,very large quantities of processors use their invaluable gifts, their minds , to think about making a living, what to eat, regular sex and of course Silly Arsenal and FA cup stuff. not as if these stuff aint good,
but its more like what we are celebrating as break through's could be accelerated.in fact to theoreticians , the achievements we see today will look so primitive ,if and only if , knowledge is produced . that's why ,stallman is right. knowledge should be free.

do we all agree with this man?
if yes what then will the so proposed future technology look like? BIO-ware?
u're kidding me.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by davidt(m): 2:40pm On May 12, 2008
I'm surprised nobody is talking about time travel, probably because it is merely a far-fetched dream.

Actually, I strongly believe humans would get to a stage where we would be able to manipulate the time-space continuum. Although, this may have disastrous consequences, I believe this would a wonderful discovery that would change the world as we know it.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by steepe(m): 4:18pm On May 12, 2008
@Geghis You are right on point, Computers are only just the beginning of Technology in fact I dare say they are the rudiments of technological advancement
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by logica(m): 12:28am On May 13, 2008
@davidt

can i c a schematic of a theoretical time machine from u? make it as high-level as possible.
Re: Thoughest Question To Answer. Even Top Coders May Fail. by Kobojunkie: 12:37am On May 13, 2008
SayoMarvel:

do we all agree with this man?
if yes what then will the so proposed future technology look like? BIO-ware?
u're kidding me.

Bio-ware is already being tested in research labs around the world. Not too long ago we celebrated the first Bionic man and woman. There was of recent a case where a paraplegic had chips installed in his brain to help him navigate the internet with his mind and access information with ease and there has been talk of being able to program and access information straight from and to the brain from the wire with wireless access.

(1) (Reply)

Help With C# Code / How To Make Money With Your Mobile Apps At Playjoor.com.ng / Marek Cygan Wins Google Code Jam 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.