Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie (22433 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 07, 2013
modextus: never expected such Λ comment from anyone, this should be something we should be proud of.it shouldn't be something we should start digging out facts from.

This are the kinds of movies that should start making nigerians like myself pick intrest in home made movies.

bro, Villageboi is not one of those always dissing Nigerian stuffs, He is a constructive critic. I understand you though.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by semid4lyfe(m): 12:31pm On May 07, 2013
franciseromosel:

'Enlongated the novel unnecessarily',how?I don't agree with you,CA is so good dat she barely waste her details and words,every single scene was instrumental to the over-all novel. I feel HOAYS is about the best novel out of Nigeria and of course CA is a global brand,in the class of DAN BROWN

No comment but I can't hold back my laughter grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 12:39pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:
bro, Villageboi is not one of those always dissing Nigerian stuffs, He is a constructive critic. I understand you though.

Thanks bro. One of the things a number of Naija people on forums can't see is sometimes something is a 'debate' to bring about conversation and various views... we're trying to learn and we're trying to educate.

If only Modextus could highlight the exact comment in that post of mine then I could respond with 'why' better.

Additionally, it's possible he thinks 'facts' should not be brought into play here... for just an 'audience' member - they might not really care about them BUT for people interested in doing something in the industry facts are very important.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

Teehee, that our blogger friend is a funny guy.

The film industry is a fickle one. For me, even if it is shot on the moon it SHOULD be called a NOLLYWOOD film but there is a difference. For example I call evey Indian film Bollywood; Indians will want to 'honour-kill' you if you call the wrong film Bollywood... Duh?? Same as many US indie films not being called Hollywood.

Crew shouldn't really matter afterall all a number of brilliantly Yankee films have cinematographers and DPs with names ending in the letters '...SKI' na Polish or whatever people be that na! (could be because Poland has one of the best films schools in the world in Lodz).

Nollywood is good, Nollywood is great... proud to be Nigerian!

@bolded....this film is an international co-production...that has always been my stand.
I can call it a British/Nigerian Production....and since there's no difference, i can go ahead to call it British/Nollywood....No police go catch me. grin.

Do you notice that when hollywood films are shot on Locations, they handle the studio scenes in Hollywood, CA? British films make use of their studios as well. But, why they come use Tinapa for this one na?
You know what i think? I think in a well regulated country, the way this production is carried out, another country can't do it in US or UK...without needing to battle for some rights...or having to credit the industry hosting as part of the production.

Meanwhile, the major reason why i bolded that part in the thread post was just to indicate that (contrary to what some Nairalanders think), there are studios in Nigeria. Infact them plenty (independent mostly)

i think you should re-read the post which you replied, cos the one you quoted is halfway written; I mistakenly submitted it.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 07, 2013
rhymz: My guy, there is something you are not putting into consideration before making conclusions that Nigerians are not big on spending at cinemas or seeing movies in general.
The fact here is that investment is still coming in the way of "movie going" or going out of the house to see a movie at the cinemas. The greatest impedence here is not lack of interest to see these movies at the cinemas but the availabilty of major cinemas that actually get the viewing rights to latest movies soon as they are released. Apart from Lagos, Abuja and Portharcourt, there is hardly anywhere in Nigeria one can go out to see this movies. Trust me, they will hit the million dollar mark if it was that easy to just get tickets anywhere out side of these big 3 and see these movies either simulteneously or closely after previous showings at majors cinemas in major states.
You don't expect Nigerians in say owerri for instance to start travelling down say to Portharcourt just because they want to see a movie, that will be preposterous. There should be some effort as well by movie investors to spread standard cinemas like those of Silvabirds in other Nigerian towns, it does not always have to be Lagos PH and Abuja, more Nigerians live outside these states that want to see these movie at the cinemas too.

I also wanted to mention this but it skipped my mind. You are totally on point. If these movies can get upto that in just 3 cities(only the capital alone sef), i think they can get a handsome return for their investments even without the global audience; if there are cinemas in all 37 states/Territory. Not to talk of having in the towns and outskirts.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by omar22(m): 12:47pm On May 07, 2013
ShyM-X:

Hotel Rwanda gatts the juice.. Don Cheadle Rusesabagina murked it - and he should have won an oscar for his performance... Anyway, I trust Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Boyega to murk this one as well...

Definitely watching..

Are you trying to say Don Cheadles performance was better than Jamie Foxx'x performance in RAY? I think Sophie Okenedo was also nominated for her role....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 07, 2013
Abbey2sam:

I see your point, but its a gradual process......
And making films that will grab part of global audience, I think that where nollywood is lagging behind and will never make any tangible profit without global audience

Nice one from nollywood though

right now, I think Nollywood films are good enough to grab global audience....but they need to strike deals with world giant distribution companies. I think this is the only part Government is useful so far!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by omar22(m): 12:49pm On May 07, 2013
DarryOsh:
this got me thinking. Can hotel rwanda b considered a rwandan movie? I dont think so. So really what makes a movie nigerian or not

A Rwanda's story but a Hollywood production....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 07, 2013
i just hope they get the igbo acccent right and why was genevieve not given a bigger role in the movie......i always knew that she couldn't act
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by omar22(m): 12:51pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

right now, I think Nollywood films are good enough to grab global audience....but they need to strike deals with world giant distribution companies. I think this is the only part Government is useful so far!

grin grin

Well to market a movie world wide cost more than the budget of most Nolly stuff....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by omar22(m): 12:52pm On May 07, 2013
uche16: i just hope they get the igbo acccent right and why was genevieve not given a bigger role in the movie......i always knew that she couldn't act

And why should they get it right?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 07, 2013
DarryOsh:
this got me thinking. Can hotel rwanda b considered a rwandan movie? I dont think so. So really what makes a movie nigerian or not

I don't get these comparisons. Hotel rwanda wasn't an adaption of a book by a Rwandan Writer. It wasn't directed by a rwandan. They didn't have to somehow use some popular Rwandan actors for what ever reason. It wasn't funded by Rwandans. They didn't shoot part of the scenes in a Rwandan studio; Rwanda was just a location (and not solely, it was also shot in South Africa) etc....There's no way anyone can think Hotel Rwanda is a Co-production or a Rwanda film. The production of HOAYS is debatable.

Afterall said, it doesn't really matter undecided. Just watch film
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 07, 2013
londoner:

Well....because it was made for such a film as this.

It is said to host some of the best equipment for post production that Nigeria has. The studio should not be a project that does no reach its potential or just another waste of money.

IF the film ends up as one of international standards, including post production etc.....maybe people will not feel the need to go outside of Nigeria for certain things, including music vids.

I'm sick o the back teeth of seeing Naija artists jet off to SA.....just to come back with a video set inside or in a dark parking lot..........we need to back our own, where we can. That way, we can grow and learn, rather than just discounting what we have, from the get go.

@bolded, I've noticed that too. Its just inferiority complex, cos there's no need for that. If you have also noticed, most music videos shot outside Nigeria are not always as popular as the ones shot in Nigeria.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:07pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

@bolded....this film is an international co-production...that has always been my stand.
I can call it a British/Nigerian Production....and since there's no difference, i can go ahead to call it British/Nollywood....No police go catch me. grin.

Do you notice that when hollywood films are shot on Locations, they handle the studio scenes in Hollywood, CA? British films make use of their studios as well. But, why they come use Tinapa for this one na?
You know what i think? I think in a well regulated country, the way this production is carried out, another country can't do it in US or UK...without needing to battle for some rights...or having to credit the industry hosting as part of the production.

Meanwhile, the major reason why i bolded that part in the thread post was just to indicate that (contrary to what some Nairalanders think), there are studios in Nigeria. Infact them plenty (independent mostly)

i think you should re-read the post which you replied, cos the one you quoted is halfway written; I mistakenly submitted it.

Exactly... it is a British/Naija production. One of the things is the international industries have such complex contracts, deals, specs and all sorts of stuff that is harder to understand than rocket science. By the time one gets into Chain of Title, Clearances, Clauses, Errors & Omissions... for each film hundreds, and for some, possibly thousands of copyrights are being created during the making. Some think it's a walk-in-the-park pure glamorous industry... it isn't. And we know we Naija people & copyrights lol.

It's weird... just like some Hollywood films shot in Britain that are completely owned by Hollywood. Hollywood uses LOCATIONS all around the world. Personally I'd rather prefer to get into bed with the Brits, Canadians, French, Germans blah, blah but not Hollywood - they are deadly wink

lol @ the Bolded bit you highlighted I was joking there. At the start of this thread I mentioned it isn't 'Nollywood' as per say. It's a co-prod that can at most be called Nigerian.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:13pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

I don't think the Government will be of much use there. The films have to be very good and have to pass ALL of the 'paperwork' requirements. Even some really good indie US films cannot get a cinema or TV distribution deal because of a single lousy bit of paper.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 07, 2013
omar22:

grin grin

Well to market a movie world wide cost more than the budget of most Nolly stuff....

@Modextus, these are the kinda handles you should be attacking. wink
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

I don't think the Government will be of much use there. The films have to be very good and have to pass ALL of the 'paperwork' requirements. Even some really good indie US films cannot get a cinema or TV distribution deal because of a single lousy bit of paper.

true. But there are independent distribution companies. But as you said...lots of processes. But i think it will be easier if Government helps. I don't think what is holding Nollywood productions from global distribution is quality, but connections. But i think this will soon be over.

I watched an interview with Tony Abulu on Doctor Bello movie. He categorically said that there's now a form of contract between Nigerian and US Government to start screening Nigerian Movies (his movie debuted on US big screens which is a proof). I think they can pull such strings on Distribution as well.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 1:51pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

true. But there are independent distribution companies. But as you said...lots of processes. But i think it will be easier if Government helps. I don't think what is holding Nollywood productions from global distribution is quality, but connections. But i think this will soon be over.

I wa[b]tched an interview with Tony Abulu on Doctor Bello movie. He categorically said that there's now a form of contract between Nigerian and US Government to start screening Nigerian Movies[/b] (his movie debuted on US big screens which is a proof). I think they can pull such strings on Distribution as well.

@ Bolded - That is very good news.

On screening - screening a movie on US is screens is not a big deal... anything can be put on any cinema screen anywhere. One of the shorts I DP'd (Une Clope - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw) debuted at the Prince Charles Cinema here in London... it's absolutely not a big deal at all.

The BIG deal is getting a distribution deal... and that, I pretty much doubt the Govt can do that much about.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

@ Bolded - That is very good news.

On screening - screening a movie on US is screens is not a big deal... anything can be put on any cinema screen anywhere. One of the shorts I DP'd (Une Clope - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw) debuted at the Prince Charles Cinema here in London... it's absolutely not a big deal at all.

The BIG deal is getting a distribution deal... and that, I pretty much doubt the Govt can do that much about.
wao! Well, i know little about film distribution. I just know its a long process. I will try and look it up anyways.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:
wao! Well, i know little about film distribution. I just know its a long process. I will try and look it up anyways.

Yeah, it's a tough one... the best deals are the holy grail that all filmmakers want to get. And Hollywood have the money to smash their way into opening a film on 3000+ screens. Oh well, they practically own the cinemas in their pockets... historically Hollywood studios WERE the distributors... then I think their Govt come vex say they all be thief lololol.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 07, 2013
[quote author=]A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality. [/quote]

Probably the most sensible comment on this thread.

A lot of people need to understand the "business of film making"; having film making skills and 'doing' the film business are two separate things.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 3:51pm On May 07, 2013
:
A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality.

cnario:
Probably the most sensible comment on this thread.

A lot of people need to understand the "business of film making"; having film making skills and 'doing' the film business are two separate things.

Obviously there is something about the 'business' end of this film that you are privy to... care to share that with us all so we too know why you are certain it is the most sensible comment ever made?

I'm sure everyone else gets it's a film 'partly' funded by Nigerians, not even starring Nigerians (It stars 2 Brits, one of whom, by liberty, can be called Nigerian) and not even 'Produced' by Nigerians... yet it is 'Nollywood'.
There is something in the production contracts that you clearly know of and possibly have, please photocopy them and paste them here... Oh boy, you really do know of the business end of the film industry.

Oh silly me, I get it now, it's just the mysterious case of another Nigerian being sentimental & crying foul upon hearing the simple truth.
Dude, it's a co-production... and so what? Who cares? The simple thing is it is a very good thing for Nigerian filmmaking & Nollywood - end of!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Onuokwu: 5:22pm On May 07, 2013
Kingsley OGBITI: Go get your original copy when it comes out

When dem go release the film sef?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by vascey(m): 5:37pm On May 07, 2013
When the movie is screened and all the atrocities carried out by the Nigerian government displayed, all these accolades will turn to curses.

undecided
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by ozoemeka(m): 5:37pm On May 07, 2013
speedyboi: Take note of the bolded parts.

Source
where is omotola in this?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by babyboy3(m): 5:56pm On May 07, 2013
ozo_emeka:

She is not in it.............
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by DollyParton1(f): 9:20pm On May 07, 2013
I wanna see that movie badly..
I love the book, I hope the movie keeps the standard

Chimamanda Adiche is one of the finest writers from Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 9:03am On May 08, 2013
VillageBoi:

Exactly... it is a British/Naija production. One of the things is the international industries have such complex contracts, deals, specs and all sorts of stuff that is harder to understand than rocket science. By the time one gets into Chain of Title, Clearances, Clauses, Errors & Omissions... for each film hundreds, and for some, possibly thousands of copyrights are being created during the making. Some think it's a walk-in-the-park pure glamorous industry... it isn't. And we know we Naija people & copyrights lol.

It's weird... just like some Hollywood films shot in Britain that are completely owned by Hollywood. Hollywood uses LOCATIONS all around the world. Personally I'd rather prefer to get into bed with the Brits, Canadians, French, Germans blah, blah but not Hollywood - they are deadly wink

lol @ the Bolded bit you highlighted I was joking there. At the start of this thread I mentioned it isn't 'Nollywood' as per say. It's a co-prod that can at most be called Nigerian.
We are on the same page afterall smiley

VillageBoi:

Yeah, it's a tough one... the best deals are the holy grail that all filmmakers want to get. And Hollywood have the money to smash their way into opening a film on 3000+ screens. Oh well, they practically own the cinemas in their pockets... historically Hollywood studios WERE the distributors... then I think their Govt come vex say they all be thief lololol.
True the part you said most Hollywood distributors are their studios. I just wonder if Nigerian Government can make Tinapa studios an international distribution giant. grin yea I know I'm asking for too much; they will have to battle distribution rights here and there blah blah...but its not totally impossible, is it? undecided

ozo_emeka:
Who says she's there? And why must she be there?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 11:12am On May 08, 2013
speedyboi:
True the part you said most Hollywood distributors are their studios. I just wonder if Nigerian Government can make Tinapa studios an international distribution giant. grin yea I know I'm asking for too much; they will have to battle distribution rights here and there blah blah...but its not totally impossible, is it? undecided

That's very interesting... not sure if they can turn it into an international distribution hub BUT they probably can have a hand in turning it into a 'Nationwide' distribution hub.

The sad thing about Tinapa Studios is no one uses it. I think HOAYS is first feature film shot there (I might be wrong on that, let anyone that actually knows contribute some facts). As said before in a different post the location of the sudio is weird. It's not in 'Nollywood' filmmaking land (ie Lagos), regular Nolly budgets will not stretch far enough to fly cast, crew, kit down there and put them up in hotels... the whole thing just didn't make much sense to be located there. There is also another problem - even if it were in Lagos... no Nolly film would pay the prices Tinapa charges. Even HOAYS (not verified) got huge help from Cross River State Govt... I wonder why?

I have gone in the wrong direction - So 'National' distribution hub. I like that idea but I don't know how the Fed Govt can make it work since A) - it's a studio and they don't really distribute B) - It's in the middle of nowhere useful.

It's just a shame to see it go to waste like many other 'white elephants'. They can't rely on some co-production every few years to use it. Ah, I'm twiddling my thumbs... I have no ideas. Tinapa is a tough one.

Didn't there use to be an Ogunde film village or something? Was it ever built? Anyone know anything about it? Oh dear, I just googled it... another project abandoned and left to rot away... Oh well, we Nigerians can be a ridiculously stupid lot sometimes.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 08, 2013
VillageBoi:

That's very interesting... not sure if they can turn it into an international distribution hub BUT they probably can have a hand in turning it into a 'Nationwide' distribution hub.

The sad thing about Tinapa Studios is no one uses it. I think HOAYS is first feature film shot there (I might be wrong on that, let anyone that actually knows contribute some facts). As said before in a different post the location of the sudio is weird. It's not in 'Nollywood' filmmaking land (ie Lagos), regular Nolly budgets will not stretch far enough to fly cast, crew, kit down there and put them up in hotels... the whole thing just didn't make much sense to be located there. There is also another problem - even if it were in Lagos... no Nolly film would pay the prices Tinapa charges. Even HOAYS (not verified) got huge help from Cross River State Govt... I wonder why?

I have gone in the wrong direction - So 'National' distribution hub. I like that idea but I don't know how the Fed Govt can make it work since A) - it's a studio and they don't really distribute B) - It's in the middle of nowhere useful.

It's just a shame to see it go to waste like many other 'white elephants'. They can't rely on some co-production every few years to use it. Ah, I'm twiddling my thumbs... I have no ideas. Tinapa is a tough one.

Didn't there use to be an Ogunde film village or something? Was it ever built? Anyone know anything about it? Oh dear, I just googled it... another project abandoned and left to rot away... Oh well, we Nigerians can be a ridiculously stupid lot sometimes.

No need for National distribution....almost every 'responsible' independent filmmaker in Naija has a studio which distributes. From Kunle Afolayan's Golden Effects Studios, Obi Emelonye's Nollywood Factory, etc. So it's highly unnecessary.

Contrary to what you said, I don't think the studio is a white elephant project. It doesn't have to be in Lagos for serious filmmakers to use it, It's just that; most independent filmmakers have their own studios.

And about the price; I've learn't that in Naija, Things have to be expensive to clear away the 'nuisance' and 'unserious elements'. You think if the studio were cheap it wouldn't have been taken over by mediocre filmmakers?

What i think is that; the Tinapa studios should be the one to start projects (just like Hollywood studios and every other Public studios), and it should be massive budgets. And of course professional filmmakers will be hired to execute the productions.

The area Tinapa can be useful in distribution is to go Global (Atleast within Africa for a start). Even Alaba guys dey distribute movies Nationwide, That's no big deal!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 7:50pm On May 08, 2013
speedyboi:

No need for National distribution....almost every 'responsible' independent filmmaker in Naija has a studio which distributes. From Kunle Afolayan's Golden Effects Studios, Obi Emelonye's Nollywood Factory, etc. So it's highly unnecessary.

Contrary to what you said, I don't think the studio is a white elephant project. It doesn't have to be in Lagos for serious filmmakers to use it, It's just that; most independent filmmakers have their own studios.

And about the price; I've learn't that in Naija, Things have to be expensive to clear away the 'nuisance' and 'unserious elements'. You think if the studio were cheap it wouldn't have been taken over by mediocre filmmakers?

What i think is that; the Tinapa studios should be the one to start projects (just like Hollywood studios and every other Public studios), and it should be massive budgets. And of course professional filmmakers will be hired to execute the productions.

The area Tinapa can be useful in distribution is to go Global (Atleast within Africa for a start). Even Alaba guys dey distribute movies Nationwide, That's no big deal!

Ah I get what you mean now. I've been talking about something different.

The studios you mentioned are just like production offices/outfits... not studios as I meant. Tinapa, I was made to understand (remember I've not been there), is a 'studio' in the sense of a purpose-built 'filming' studio... you know a huge thing sometimes many, many times the size of a plane hangar where you can build massive sets for full control of your filming... I was talking about, practically, giant structures with sound stages and everything else. Not the "My film company is called VillagBoi FACTORY STUDIO" grin

Studios in the sense of - (Pinewood Studios UK and Stone Street Studios Newzealand - both used to film The Hobbit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcYXlFUBPNs

These studios do not make films, they are just where you build GIANT sets if needed. They also do not DISTRIBUTE films. So purpose-built filming studios like this is something Nollywood doesn't really use, hence Tinapa possibly going to waste. Stone Street Studio NZ is 8 acres of land and Pinewood UK is is possibly over 200... they are almost cities!

The confusion stemmed from what I meant by 'studio'... Hollywood Studios like MGM, Universal, Warner Bros and so on are 'film production' companies that also happen to have 'purpose-built filming studios'... that's what Tinapa is supposed to be. Even here in the industry people do loosely use 'studio' to mean production company or so.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 12:58am On May 09, 2013
VillageBoi:

Ah I get what you mean now. I've been talking about something different.

The studios you mentioned are just like production offices/outfits... not studios as I meant. Tinapa, I was made to understand (remember I've not been there), is a 'studio' in the sense of a purpose-built 'filming' studio... you know a huge thing sometimes many, many times the size of a plane hangar where you can build massive sets for full control of your filming... I was talking about, practically, giant structures with sound stages and everything else. Not the "My film company is called VillagBoi FACTORY STUDIO" grin

Studios in the sense of - (Pinewood Studios UK and Stone Street Studios Newzealand - both used to film The Hobbit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcYXlFUBPNs

These studios do not make films, they are just where you build GIANT sets if needed. They also do not DISTRIBUTE films. So purpose-built filming studios like this is something Nollywood doesn't really use, hence Tinapa possibly going to waste. Stone Street Studio NZ is 8 acres of land and Pinewood UK is is possibly over 200... they are almost cities!

The confusion stemmed from what I meant by 'studio'... Hollywood Studios like MGM, Universal, Warner Bros and so on are 'film production' companies that also happen to have 'purpose-built filming studios'... that's what Tinapa is supposed to be. Even here in the industry people do loosely use 'studio' to mean production company or so.

*sighs* I ended up getting a lecture on the use of a studio embarassed. But, did i sound so bush? embarassed?

Okay forgive my ignorance, but i've always thought Golden Effects especially was a medium/small size filming studio; I just guessed Nollywood Factory grin. the reason for my thinking was because; he uses sets for some scenes in his movie, and i used to think it was his studio he's using. Well thanks for clarifying it is just a production outfit.

However, it seems you got the point i was making. Many Hollywood studios have distribution hubs which distributes globally! And i thought Tinapa could be something like that. They just have to make exceptions though (i.e, A film doesn't have to be filmed in their studio for them to help distribute; They will also help distribute other independent productions that are of good quality by 'World' standards).

Meanwhile, what do you think about using Tinapa for 'massive' budgets? And hiring highly qualified script writers, and others..
It's high time. In Nollywood, it has always been independent filmmaking....Tinapa can change that by being a full blown production company! All these can be done, what is needed is proper planning. Unfortunately, that has always been a deficiency in Nigeria sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Download Latest Nigerian Nollywood Movie With Ease! - 2016 Movies / Nini Evicted From The Big Brother House / Court Stops Multichoice From Increasing Dstv Subscription Rates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.