Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,763 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table (1841 Views)

When Last Did You Eat On Your Dinning Table? / 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette / ~Proper Etiquette Dinning Table (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 06, 2013
Twenty Definite No-No’s
1. Don’t put liquid of any kind in your mouth while there is still food in it. Swallow first. The only exception is
if hot food is scalding your mouth and a cold drink is applied as first aid.
2. Don’t spit inedible objects into your palm and put them back on your plate. Use an inconspicuous
motion to remove the fish bone or whatever with your thumb and forefinger. Then, place it on your
bread and butter plate.
3. Gum! Never at the table.
4. Don’t chew with your mouth open.
5. Don’t talk with food in your mouth.
6. Don’t replenish the supply of food in your mouth before you have swallowed the previous mouthful.
7. Don’t blow your nose using your napkin, its sole purpose is to wipe your mouth.
8. Don’t use your napkin, handkerchief, the tablecloth or anything else to clean your silverware. If it isn’t
clean, discreetly ask the waiter for another piece.
9. Don’t fiddle with your silverware. You will look nervous and make others edgy.
10. Don’t leave the coffee spoon in your cup while drinking from it. Similarly, don’t treat the spoon and cup
as a musical instrument making clinking noises as you stir.
11. Enjoy you meal quietly! Don’t smack you lips or heave sighs of satisfaction after swallowing.
12. Holding two items of food in two hands is unacceptable.
13. Don’t try the “boarding house reach”, ask someone to pass you any item that is out of arms reach.
14. Don’t share someone’s food by spearing it with a fork and guiding it across the table like a toy airplane!
The correct way is to pass the person your bread plate or main plate and request a little of the food be
put on it.
15. Don’t mash all the food together in the center of your plate.
16. Don’t dunk!
17. Don’t apply cosmetics at the table – not even lipstick
18. Elbows off the table!
19. Never read at the table if anyone else is present.
20. Don’t lean back on the rear legs of your chair. You could break the chair, or worse your neck!etc…
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by Caracta(f): 11:42pm On May 06, 2013
lol @ elbows off the table.

I think i need to get that into my head. I plead guilty cheesy

Pls add "pinging" to the list. It's annoying!
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by israel007: 12:15am On May 07, 2013
The elbow just finds its way there even without my permission
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by braine(m): 12:41am On May 07, 2013
Noted. cool
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by dgb4(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2013
Caracta: lol @ elbows off the table.

I think i need to get that into my head. I plead guilty cheesy

Pinging follow? I dont think its a bad habit! its a choice!

OP, thanks for educating us, we learn everyday, am 5% guilty sha tongue

moderators, oya, u guys should move this thread to FP, no bi only tonto dike una go the flaunt there everyday!
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by Nobody: 5:25am On May 14, 2013
2 4 5 .. my kids annoy me with those angry
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by dgb4(m): 6:43am On May 14, 2013
SniperInADiaper: 2 4 5 .. my kids annoy me with those angry

sorry ma,
print this article and use it as sunday school for them grin
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:58pm On May 23, 2013
Very guilty of Number 8! shocked Didnt even know it was ill mannered at the table. Chei.
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by sophieLL(f): 9:12am On May 24, 2013
I learnt so much. The rule of number 20 is what I often do.
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by AKO1(m): 3:05pm On May 24, 2013
Really loved this!

I'm fine with "pinging" if you're with the right crowd and at the right place (e.g. with friends or live tweeting a dinner awards ceremony).

But I'd add no earphones!
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by fuckluv(f): 8:13am On May 27, 2013
I plead guilty of no 10. I do that a lot.
israel007: The elbow just finds its way there even without my permission
That's it! I knew it to be a bad habit but then...
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by Sijo01(f): 8:45am On May 27, 2013
temiosunrinde:
4. Don’t chew with your mouth open.

How's this possible
Re: 20 Things You Should Not Do At The Dinning Table by Sijo01(f): 8:49am On May 27, 2013
Caracta:

I strongly oppose this motion.

(1) (Reply)

Evening Bitter Leaf And Spinach Egusi Soup In Atlanta, Ga. / Food Cooked With Firewood And Food Cooked With Gas, Which Tastes Better? / Teach Me How To Make Delicious Toast Bread Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.