Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) (22055 Views)

Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) / Photos From Tragic Accident Along Airport Road Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 9:45am On May 07, 2013
I waited long to see where i could post this topic but found out that there was no section for traffic situations in this country and i think Seun should do something about it cos i do not know why we have Autos and Car talk sections which to me are very similar.

Now to my post: i noticed the impunity with which commuters along the Airport road Abuja put their lives at great risk by abandoning the pedestrian bridges newly built for them rather they run across the dangerous wide road, sit on the road dividers just to cross the road with the bridges very close to them, some even cross the roads right under the bridges.

funny enough, we have the road safety spots at the city gate and lugbe but they seem not to be concerned about what these people do cos they even stand by the road while commuters run across the road at lugbe.

commuters running across the expressway

commuters sitting on road dividers waiting to cross the expressway

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by eledalo: 11:33am On May 07, 2013
I've noticed this on Ikorodu road, Lagos and lately on Funsho Williams Ave in Surulere.
Sometimes Nigerians blame leadership for their problems, but many times, we cause our own problems.

Imagine if someone is hit by a car while running across the road as these people are doing?
1. The driver of the vehicle gets into unnecessary trouble.
2. The pedestrian dies an untimely death!
3. The incident causes unnecessary gridlock for other road users.

Why? Someone wants to gain a few minutes crossing the road.
We don't need FRSC, LASTMA, Lagos Govt or FG to tell us to use pedestrian bridges where they exist.

9 Likes

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Meddler(f): 2:04pm On May 07, 2013
The same along Kubwa express. So senseless people intentionally putting their lives at risk. I've only noticed two pedestrian bridge in Kubwa that's actually utilized - Galadinma and the bridge before Galadinma.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by keyword(f): 2:04pm On May 07, 2013
Too bad for some people. Sometimes simple rules are made for ∕̴Ɩ reason
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by yuzedo: 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
Whenever i'm driving and these dolts start this expressway-crossing, i'm more worried about them smashing my car windscreen and body-work than of them dying the gruesome deaths they so eagerly seek.. I mean, are you mad ni?!?! Some people deserve to be flogged.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by djjoad(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
Nice write up..good observation...but i feel the topic is somehow inappropriate..
Maybe cos of the Nigerian mentality...i was expecting to see large, deep potholes...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Krucifax(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
Mr Poster. Very good observation. While i agree that more should be done to educate pedestrians about the hazards and dangers of crossing high speed motor ways, i also think there should be more investment in the construction of pedestrian bridges, or underground walkways.

I personally have been to parts of Abuja where there was literally no other way to get from one side of the road to the other except by running in front of some mad Abuja drivers that seem to be aiming to kill everybody in front of them!
As a matter of fact if you are not physically fit, crossing some roads in Abuja is a first class ticket to the afterlife!!

3 Likes

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by robinfemi: 2:05pm On May 07, 2013
dis 1 na way excerise oh. No b death trap at @
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by yuzedo: 2:06pm On May 07, 2013
By the way, i drive a big jeep! Feel free to PM me, ladies... wink grin

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by jude33084(m): 2:07pm On May 07, 2013
no pedestrians bridge across that wide road?
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by pasatoti: 2:07pm On May 07, 2013
no road sefty man i dey c 4dat pic? [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by stargalameena: 2:08pm On May 07, 2013
the worst is area1,Begger express road..thank God for d new foot bridge which is yet to be completed
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by MSItachi: 2:13pm On May 07, 2013
See ROAD SAFETY OFFICIAL Leading them Safely across

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by ITbomb(m): 2:14pm On May 07, 2013
That ain't no death trap , it is a crossing
Just wait , look left then right then left again .
Watch out for keke and cross . The way u were taught in primary school
Simple as that.
When u have photos of DEATH TRAPS AS in DEEP POT HOLES
Pm me

2 Likes

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 07, 2013
Sheer stupidity.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 07, 2013
I remember when the pedestrian bridges were not in place, may people reckoned, and rightly so, that government was insensitive to the plight of the ordinary people. Now that these bridges have been put in place, it is a shame that pedestrians have failed to take advantage of them. The one near Mopol bus-stop Nyanya, has only been patronized by sport people, while the one at Maraba market has been populated largely by beggars and petty traders, since pedestrians have refused to use them. What a shame!
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by christokuty: 2:18pm On May 07, 2013
signing death warrant
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 07, 2013
ITbomb: That ain't no death trap , it is a crossing
Just wait , look left then right then left again .
Watch out for keke and cross . The way u were taught in primary school
Simple as that.
When u have photos of DEATH TRAPS AS in DEEP POT HOLES
Pm me
Why look right, left, up and down when there is a pedestrian bridge?
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by beeba: 2:19pm On May 07, 2013
Its quite a dangerous trend here in Abuja. I think the authorities should engage traffic controllers similar to LASTMA to arrest and fine offenders.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by YoshiMaster: 2:20pm On May 07, 2013
I would say pedestrians aren't catered to well enough in this country.

Yes some people crossing the highway might seem crazy, but maybe we need flyovers at every major bus stop, so that people wouldn't have to walk 8 miles to find one.

For the people crossing these highways the way they are now, I will urge them to do so very carefully, and not to be like some who just expect the drivers to be so focused and caring, to slow down for them.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Godson201333(m): 2:24pm On May 07, 2013
Oh my brother,Its a pity I have seen at least 2 people died this way,One happened today at Lagos-Abeokuta expressway just before iyana ipaja,Its a big expressway and i see no reason why people ignore the pedestrian bridge.Its too bad but drivers too gotta becareful ..
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by pure123: 2:24pm On May 07, 2013
DID ANYBODY NOTICED THE UNIFORMED GUY IN THE 2ND PIX?

D DISTANCE TO THE PED MIGHT B FAR....BUT IT RATHER Late than to be LATE
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by PlotsandHouses: 2:25pm On May 07, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
I would say pedestrians aren't catered to well enough in this country.

Yes some people crossing the highway might seem crazy, but maybe we need flyovers at every major bus stop, so that people wouldn't have to walk 8 miles to find one.

For the people crossing these highways the way they are now, I will urge them to do so very carefully, and not to be like some who just expect the drivers to be so focused and caring, to slow down for them.

A very good point made by @Yoshi-master. Pedestrian crossings (flyovers) and perimeter fencing will go a long way to helping change people's behavior in these situations. It's clear pedestrians were not factored in when designing these roads. Of course it won't stop some people trying but it would at least offer them the alternative.

Follow our blogs on interesting property topics at plotsandhouses.com/blog
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 07, 2013
e bi lyk say motor neva mash their head
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by DeIneffable(m): 2:27pm On May 07, 2013
eledalo: I've noticed this on Ikorodu road, Lagos and lately on Funsho Williams Ave in Surulere.
Sometimes Nigerians blame leadership for their problems, but many times, we cause our own problems.

Imagine if someone is hit by a car while running across the road as these people are doing?
1. The driver of the vehicle gets into unnecessary trouble.
2. The pedestrian dies an untimely death!
3. The incident causes unnecessary gridlock for other road users.

Why? Someone wants to gain a few minutes crossing the road.
We don't need FRSC, LASTMA, Lagos Govt or FG to tell us to use pedestrian bridges where they exist.
well that is not the case in Abuja, the roads are wide and pedestrian bridges are not as close as they should be ref: NICON and BANEX bustop. I got lucky this morning

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by ITbomb(m): 2:27pm On May 07, 2013
freechat: Why look right, left, up and down when there is a pedestrian bridge?
Cos what is up there across the pedestrian bridge is not what u would like to see .
And when the bridges are a kilometre apart and where I am going is in between with a wide empty road in front of me.
Come @OP , are u in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by kekakuz(m): 2:28pm On May 07, 2013
My house is just a stone trow from here. Τ̲̅ђέ fact is that there is a pedestrian bridge just 30meters before Τ̲̅ђέ scene you are seeing but people would not use it simply because they don't want to use Τ̲̅ђέ new bus top. So ΨђåƮ you are seeing there is a bunch of lazy very lazy people who don't want to climb. Τ̲̅ђέ bridge.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by rezzy: 2:33pm On May 07, 2013
I rememberd crossing one express road like that on saturday. I dont know the name of the road but i know i came out from Magodo GRA phase II gate and cross over to Ikeja (Alausa). The road is deadly, it surely needs a pedestrain bridge.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by touchmehard: 2:38pm On May 07, 2013
This trend is sheer disregard for one's life. As for me, i'ld rather walk some meters to use a pedestrian bridge than rush across a busy road. What if I don't get to d other side of the road at last, but rather wake up in a hospital? God forbid bad thing. It pays to do things the right way because short-cuts do not pay and are always risky.
Just as it is done in Lagos Sate, I'll recommend that the men on uniform on Airport road, Abuja and in other places should be empowered to arrest pedestrians crossing the roads, when there are pedestrian bridges.

(@ OP, your title is misleading)
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by touchmehard: 2:40pm On May 07, 2013
rezzy: I rememberd crossing one express road like that on saturday. I dont know the name of the road but i know i came out from Magodo GRA phase II gate and cross over to Ikeja (Alausa). The road is deadly, it surely needs a pedestrain bridge.

If they construct a pedestrian bridge there, will you use it? Somebody is here observing that people stubbornly refuse to use available pedestrian bridges, and here you are asking for more. undecided
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by ammyluv2002(f): 2:43pm On May 07, 2013
I totally agree with you @ poster, a lot of people have lost their lives already on that road even last frIday around 11Pm @ car wash junction one babe was hit by a car & she died instantly (so I heard sha) most people don't uSe the bridge including me maybe is laziness or something but is very risky, even the drivers are not helping matters plus the road safety guys. I'm always scared whenever I'm crossing that road yet I do it daily.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) / Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.