Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) (22056 Views)

Fatal Accident Along Asaba Airport Road, Entire Family Dead... Graphic Photos / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos) / Photos From Tragic Accident Along Airport Road Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by dgitrader(m): 2:47pm On May 07, 2013
Even a roadsafety official is amoung the culprits in the picture.
But this isnt just a pedestran issue, poor or inadiquate town planning can be blammed for this also. Why should there be several bus-stops and residences along such a wide and busy highway?
The worst of this type of senerio is along the lagos-abeokuta expressroad, just before iyanapaja, its a breathtaking 40meters death race! For man, woman, young and old.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by greall1: 2:47pm On May 07, 2013
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by MrAboki: 2:50pm On May 07, 2013
[size=13pt]I just got back from Abuja last week and I must say that its rather unfortunate. Lets not forget the fact that this road is still under construction and I noticed that Julius Berger have started working on some sort of fence to stop that rubbish. But looking at it from another angle, I'm yet to see any signs of a pedestrian crossing on that road sha.[/size]
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by EXAMSMASTER: 2:50pm On May 07, 2013
Hope Your Feeling Good? Good Day , Am Here to inform you that u can now Flexs the in internet For Free at www.gurusanloaded.tk
www.gurusanloaded.tk where u get ur latest Hot Mtn,GLO, ETISALAT,& AIRTEL Unlimeted Freebrowsing Code [it is ur right to browse Free]
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 07, 2013
I live in Kubwa and I drive to the city centre and Jabi and I do this every weekday in rush hour traffic and sometimes when the road is relatively free. I always see some people risk their precious lives tryin to cross these roads. During traffic times there are reckless drivers who swerve from one lane to another at 80-130K/ph and when the traffic on these roads are less some drivers do 80-160k/ph. Why would any sane person attempt crossing such roads? Another issue is that our road designers/builders include little or no traffic furnitures on the roads, when they eventually include and construct a pedestrian bridge across the roads they don't design it to allow people with disability to easily use these bridges, another issue is that these bridges are turned into markets and bus stops/garages; as a result of these bridge markets and garages/bus stops traffic slow down occurs and some maniac behind a wheel especially trucks belonging to construction companies, government officials bank bullion vans commercial drivers and some private car owners come at high speed/ driving very dangerously blaring their horns and sirens. SMHV
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by MrAboki: 2:53pm On May 07, 2013
eledalo: I've noticed this on Ikorodu road, Lagos and lately on Funsho Williams Ave in Surulere.
Sometimes Nigerians blame leadership for their problems, but many times, we cause our own problems.

Imagine if someone is hit by a car while running across the road as these people are doing?
1. The driver of the vehicle gets into unnecessary trouble.
2. The pedestrian dies an untimely death!
3. The incident causes unnecessary gridlock for other road users.

Why? Someone wants to gain a few minutes crossing the road.
We don't need FRSC, LASTMA, Lagos Govt or FG to tell us to use pedestrian bridges where they exist.

[size=13pt]Just so you know, anybody that gets killed whilst crossing this road will simply be buried. The maximum problem the driver would get would be manslaughter charges which wont carry any jail or probation time. Except where a Zebra crossing exists or a sign that says pedestrians are crossing, I believe crossing such roads in Nigeria is an offence.[/size]
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by YoshiMaster: 2:54pm On May 07, 2013
dgitrader: Even a roadsafety official is amoung the culprits in the picture.
But this isnt just a pedestran issue, poor or inadiquate town planning can be blammed for this also. Why should there be several bus-stops and residences along such a wide and busy highway?
The worst of this type of senerio is along the lagos-abeokuta expressroad, just before iyanapaja, its a breathtaking 40meters death race! For man, woman, young and old.

kudos on mentioning the issue of inadequate planning. A highway shouldn't be a place for frequently stopping buses, and if they do have to stop as mandated by the government, then there should be adequate methods of safely evacuating all pedestrians dropped off by these buses.

Obviously in a situation where these safe options for pedestrians do exist and they choose to neglect them, then officials should do their jobs and "fine" them, please no arrests.

I have used the pedestrian bridge and thought it was uber-cool, but I have also been forced by circumstance sometimes to cross the road "bare", after feeling depressed upon looking left and right with no pedestrian bridge in sight.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Ninilowo(m): 2:58pm On May 07, 2013
djjoad: Nice write up..good observation...but i feel the topic is somehow inappropriate..
Maybe cos of the Nigerian mentality...i was expecting to see large, deep potholes...
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Ninilowo(m): 3:05pm On May 07, 2013
pasat oti: no road sefty man i dey c 4dat pic? [color=#000099][/color]
Na him. Foolish people na to dey find person wey no wear seat belt dem sabi
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 07, 2013
The Nigerian mentality is the issue as far as I am concerned. We are hard to adapt to new ways of doing things. We so much believed that 'nothing dey happen'

Though, if there is a barricade fenced-wire in-between the lanes along the major bus-stop; just like the ones still under construction in Area 1, no reasonable Nigeria would neglect the pedestrian bridge to walk across in this manner.

Heaven help those who help themselves.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Pius007: 3:12pm On May 07, 2013
I appreciate your great observation. Please inform those contractor handling the pedestal bridges before Mabushi and Banex junctions in Abuja to hasten up.They started the construction work last year up till now yet to be completed.My friend, I don't know how long it takes to construct about three pedestal bridges. That particular spot has claimed more than a hundred of lives because of the rush.The latest was on Monday last week, a young guy was crushed and dead at the spot.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by rezzy: 3:28pm On May 07, 2013
touch_me_hard:

If they construct a pedestrian bridge there, will you use it? Somebody is here observing that people stubbornly refuse to use available pedestrian bridges, and here you are asking for more. undecided

With wat i saw that day, i will gladly use it. If i won die, abeg, no be motor go kill me.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Godson201333(m): 3:30pm On May 07, 2013
ammyluv2002: I totally agree with you @ poster, a lot of people have lost their lives already on that road even last frIday around 11Pm @ car wash junction one babe was hit by a car & she died instantly (so I heard sha) most people don't uSe the bridge including me maybe is laziness or something but is very risky, even the drivers are not helping matters plus the road safety guys. I'm always scared whenever I'm crossing that road yet I do it daily.

Then you gotta stop doing it!
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by hafeesa: 3:36pm On May 07, 2013
undecided
yuzedo: By the way, i drive a big jeep! Feel free to PM me, ladies... wink grin

Seriously? undecided what does that have to do with the post? Smh
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 07, 2013
Chasitty001: I can't see over-head bridges around that spot. I guess that explains why people have to cross.

[url=our-naija-men..com/] Click Here [/url]
I lives in that area now and there are over_head bridges there,some people can just be somehow stubborn.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by MrAboki: 3:43pm On May 07, 2013
hafeesa: undecided

[size=13pt]If you are inside Jip, then you would not need to be crossing road like a zebra..

And I heard he also lives in Banana island.

PM me so I can hook you up with him. He is a bigger boy o!

[/size]
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by nijanigga: 3:46pm On May 07, 2013
Who cares, do Nigerians value life of course not.Why are you worried with Nigerians crossing roads illegally? Nigeria is a lawless country so you have lawless people period
We have more goats and cows living in human regalia.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 4:03pm On May 07, 2013
dgitrader: Even a roadsafety official is amoung the culprits in the picture.
thank you very much, i think inappropriate or maybe inadequate planning is partly responsible for this but i you have to remember that many settlements along the airport road are illegal so i think the plan was made for the permanent structures that are expected to occupy the road.

on the other hand, the presence of Road Safety is expected to put checks on such notorious behaviour of the commuters but as you can see, even the road safety official is a culprit.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by khanivorous(f): 4:10pm On May 07, 2013
freechat: I remember when the pedestrian bridges were not in place, may people reckoned, and rightly so, that government was insensitive to the plight of the ordinary people. Now that these bridges have been put in place, it is a shame that pedestrians have failed to take advantage of them. The one near Mopol bus-stop Nyanya, has only been patronized by sport people, while the one at Maraba market has been populated largely by beggars and petty traders, since pedestrians have refused to use them. What a shame!

I almost got hit by a vehicle at that mopol junction few years back.. Since then I stop at the pedestrian bridge and stroll...how I survived that day is a miracle
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by nijanigga: 4:14pm On May 07, 2013
khanivorous:

I almost got hit by a vehicle at that mopol junction few years back.. Since then I stop at the pedestrian bridge and stroll...how I survived that day is a miracle
So that you can warn other goats and cows.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by clemz85(m): 4:21pm On May 07, 2013
why worry? this is nigeria a nation with great faith and nothing will happen syndrome

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Wadosky(m): 4:42pm On May 07, 2013
My colleague ran over and killed a pedestrian dis morning near dantata bridge.
They didn't make enough pedestrian bridges along dt airport road.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by gerald09(m): 6:07pm On May 07, 2013
That is the problems of some illiterate Nigerians in lagos they had to start charging dem for not using the pedestrian work b4 they started using it, they use seat belt only cos the FRSC told em to, must allow children play in the car with out seat belts, and if u try to tell dem, dey tell u y are u praying for sometin horrible. Most so called educated Nigerians lack the basic safety procedure for the road. They neva check the cars b4 driving, they overspeed @ d slightest chance, dey don't fasten the seat belt for kids and they will neva use pedestrian work even when provided for the. They just enjoy blaming the government for very stup*id decision that leads to there death or serious injuries.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by olajide8(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2013
This is a very serious issue * in my words the government is looking for how to reduce the population of Nigerian's, by purposely building pedestrian bridges at miles from where people actually cross the roads* I don't know what the intent is but its quite insane in abuja - for example people cross the roads at area 3 junction, and area 1 roundabout in abuja (Garki), but the government decided to construct and build a pedestrian bridge in the middle of nowhere, between area 1 and area 3, and we know our people they hate doing walking exercise, so they just alight from a commuter bus turn around the bus, and gbam! they hit the express, now who do we blame the architects and surveyors that chose the location or government that don't consider the actual points people cross or people themselves that are lawless, what a situation a tri-parte level of total decadence
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 07, 2013
angry
yuzedo: By the way, i drive a big jeep! Feel free to PM me, ladies... wink grin

Do you also have a 'big' pot belly?! angry

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 07, 2013
hafeesa: undecided

Honey, it's his advert for online dating. And that does not need to have a focus on any topic...

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by oloriooko(m): 7:35pm On May 07, 2013
olajide_07: This is a very serious issue * in my words the government is looking for how to reduce the population of Nigerian's, by purposely building pedestrian bridges at miles from where people actually cross the roads* I don't know what the intent is but its quite insane in abuja - for example people cross the roads at area 3 junction, and area 1 roundabout in abuja (Garki), but the government decided to construct and build a pedestrian bridge in the middle of nowhere, between area 1 and area 3, and we know our people they hate doing walking exercise, so they just alight from a commuter bus turn around the bus, and gbam! they hit the express, now who do we blame the architects and surveyors that chose the location or government that don't consider the actual points people cross or people themselves that are lawless, what a situation a tri-parte level of total decadence

but i think where people cross the road should not actually determine where to position the bridge cos if we have proper town planning, the people cannot determine where to position the bridge. furthermore, positioning a pedestrian bridge should not be at the junction but some meters away from it.

we need to learn to be orderly in this country and value our lives instead of carelessly flinging lives to the expressway in the name of "bridge is too far from my junction".

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by Werehkpe: 7:43pm On May 07, 2013
the second picture is funny ooooo. No b road safety official wan follow masses run across road? ha h ah ah ha.

"sare 9ja style"
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by stpat1(m): 8:23pm On May 07, 2013
djjoad: Nice write up..good observation...but i feel the topic is somehow inappropriate..
Maybe cos of the Nigerian mentality...i was expecting to see large, deep potholes...

exactly. the topic is kinda misleading. You said death traps and we are not seeing any.
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by slimmoney(m): 8:29pm On May 07, 2013
A lil girl had an accident on dat same airport road last week friday nd died on d spot, just becos of dis I don't care attitude her body parts was crushed in2 three, we just had 2 check her contact 2 inform her family dat dia daughter has gone.

1 Like

Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by fckyourman: 10:15pm On May 07, 2013
Re: Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:33pm On May 07, 2013
oloriooko: I waited long to see where i could post this topic but found out that there was no section for traffic situations in this country and i think Seun should do something about it cos i do not know why we have Autos and Car talk sections which to me are very similar.

Now to my post: i noticed the impunity with which commuters along the Airport road Abuja put their lives at great risk by abandoning the pedestrian bridges newly built for them rather they run across the dangerous wide road, sit on the road dividers just to cross the road with the bridges very close to them, some even cross the roads right under the bridges.

funny enough, we have the road safety spots at the city gate and lugbe but they seem not to be concerned about what these people do cos they even stand by the road while commuters run across the road at lugbe.

commuters running across the expressway

commuters sitting on road dividers waiting to cross the expressway

thats not a death trap but people putting their live at risky

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) / Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.