Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

My Childhood Car Fantasies - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Childhood Car Fantasies (750 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Childhood Car Fantasies by nuwell(m): 8:53am On May 08, 2013
When I was at that stage of life when children actually start voicing ‘serious’ decisions about their career aspirations, I decided I loved cars and wanted to be an engineer. My folks say I was handy with tools even at that age. They still recount how I dismantled my lil’ brother’s playswing and how my handyman dad couldn’t fit it together afterwards! As I write this now, I pause to wonder how that could be. Nothing dey strong pass that man o!

Anyway, I developed a fascination for cars so much so, that it morphed into a kind of psychic connection with them. I actually felt I could read their minds and gauge their moods! Remarkable? I didn’t think so. It wasn’t a big deal then. I think societal perceptions might have also influenced my views at the time.

Well, for some of the more popular brands then, a few of which I was privileged to ride in, I mentally made up a sort of mood/disposition chart which I would like to share with you. This is the first time it is going in print. Please enjoy. Here goes:

Car: Volkswagen Beetle
Distinctive Feature(s): Round headlights, smooth curves and edges (hubs and all), portable size, the mousy engine sound
Interpretation: Optimistic, open-minded, eager-to-please, friendly car (I actually felt I could drive this one at what age? Four perhaps). To me it was a child-like car. I didn’t think adults should drive them. They should rather buy them for their kids' use.

Car: Peugeot 504
Distinctive Feature(s): Headlight shape, unique boot shape and unconventional curves
Interpretation: Mr. Reclusive, not out-going, but efficient and business-minded. Always gave off the impression of a bespectacled and slightly short-sighted man. (The Station Wagon was my preferred long-distance journey preference). When the double-eyed headlight variety became available, that added some cynicism to its attitude.

Car: Mercedes Benz W123 (‘Regular’ Benz)
Distinctive Feature(s): Headlights, straight lines and that oh-so-heavenly front axle suspension when making a turn while stationary. The distinctive purr of the engine was the crown trait
Interpretation: Ah! This was the big boss – the car to have. The car of the ‘made’ and ‘arrived’ (watching Living in Bondage no help mata sef). Strict, no-nonesense demeanour but actually outgoing. Stately presence

Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by Ishilove: 9:15am On May 08, 2013
Nu-wel u well done o. You for kukuma talk sey you wan advertise your blog tongue grin cheesy
Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by nuwell(m): 9:20am On May 08, 2013
Ishilove: Nu-wel u well done o. You for kukuma talk sey you wan advertise your blog tongue grin cheesy

tongue
But seriously, can you show me how to import and paste a table? I had to paste that link 'cos I didn't know how to do so here.
Some help, anybody?
Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by Ishilove: 10:35am On May 08, 2013
nu-well:

tongue
But seriously, can you show me how to import and paste a table? I had to paste that link 'cos I didn't know how to do so here.
Some help, anybody?
Ask naptu2 or esere826
Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by flowers4me(f): 11:31am On Jun 18, 2013
Hi, Nu-well, i so like this your tortoise car! cheesy cheesy not kidding at all..
Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by nuwell(m): 11:40am On Jun 18, 2013
flowers4me: Hi, Nu-well, i so like this your tortoise car! cheesy cheesy not kidding at all..

Na so o! The ride been get level those days na
Re: My Childhood Car Fantasies by nuwell(m): 11:43am On Jul 18, 2013
Car: Volvo 240
Distinctive Feature(s): Box Headlights, straight lines and the distinctive growl of the engine.
Interpretation: To my mind at the time, this was the rival of the Mercedes W123. I don't recall what planted or established that conception but so it was. While I wasn't too fanatical of it, it seem to be a good car. I took a ride once in the roomy backseat of a family friend's Volvo240 sedan as a child and I couldn't get over the impression that I was sitting at the bottom of a high-walled box. Perhaps, the subconscious threat I felt it posed to my beloved Benz was what influenced my bias.

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Guru And Auto Wizard, Please Help *urgent * / My Suv 'jerks' And Eventually Sopped 'raising', Please Advise. / How Well Do You Know Cars? Can You Identify This One?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.