Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab (10266 Views)

Word Of The Day / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Join A Writing Group, Improve Your Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:02am On May 08, 2013
The importance of learning new words everyday cannot be over emphasized. So here Is one thread created for us to regain our youthful brilliance. Whether you're a student preparing for the SAT, ACT, or GRE, TOEFL or simply an unabashed logophile (or lover of words), this thread is for you. I'm actually preparing for GRE and this will contribute a great deal to the development of my vocabulary.

This is how it goes, each person would drop a word everyday (pls you must not drop more than a word in a day) including its pronunciation, usage, synonyms, and example ...

Lemme go first!

Word: logomachy \loh-GOM-uh-kee\,

noun:
1. a dispute about or concerning words.
2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words.
3. a game played with cards, each bearing one letter, with which words are formed.

Example: Their logomachy was far more stimulating to his intellect than the reserved and quiet dogmatism of Mr. Adeyinka.

Origin: Logomachy comes from the Greek word logomachia from the roots logo- meaning "words" and machy meaning "fighting."

Synonym(s): Didn't find any

2 Likes

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 9:20am On May 08, 2013
Inscient

In"scient\, a. [L. insciens, -entis, ignorant. See In- not, and Scient, Science.] Having little or no knowledge; ignorant; stupid; silly. [R.] --N. Bacon.
Webster's Revised
Inscient

In"scient\, a. [Pref. in- in + L. sciens knowing.] Having knowledge or insight; intelligent. [R.]
Gaze on, with inscient vision, toward the sun. --Mrs. Browning.

2 Likes

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 09, 2013
Hi! Hope your day is going on well! Well mine has been splendid... smiley don't forget to drop your word for the day. My word for the day is 'cockshy'- happy learning cheesy

WORD: cockshy (KOK-shy)

noun:
1. The game of throwing missiles at a target; such a throw.
2. An object of criticism or ridicule.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Old English cocc (rooster) + shy (to throw), of uncertain origin. Earliest documented use: 1836.

USAGE/EXAMPLE:
If you wants to take a cockshy at business for electoral reasons that's understandable. But I don't want it doing damage to the image of business, particularly in our schools.

The rabble of Edinburgh were all out ... to hurl their missiles of hate at that sure cock-shy."
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 09, 2013
Zachie I just saw your word- 'inscient'. I don't get the meanings. Can the word be used in both positive and negative light? It's kinda confusing :s

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 7:04pm On May 09, 2013
That is the beauty of the word. yes, it can.
and thanks for cockshy.
I just added it my wordlist
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 7:11pm On May 09, 2013
mel·lif·lu·ous (m-lfl-s)
adj.
1. Flowing with sweetness or honey.
2. Smooth and sweet: "polite and cordial, with a mellifluous, well-educated voice" (H.W. Crocker III).
[Middle English, from Late Latin mellifluus : Latin mel, mell-, honey; see melit- in Indo-European roots + Latin -fluus, flowing; see bhleu- in Indo-European roots.]
mel·liflu·ous·ly adv.
mel·liflu·ous·ness n.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 09, 2013
ZACHIE: That is the beauty of the word. yes, it can.
and thanks for cockshy.
That's cool! Kudos to you...
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 09, 2013
ZACHIE: That is the beauty of the word. yes, it can.
and thanks for cockshy.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by LarrySun(m): 8:00pm On May 09, 2013
cheesy

[Sorry, I'm not much of a pronunciation freak, and not all words have origins. I'll just give the words, their meanings, synonyms and usages. I hope you don't mind. This is cool]

Soubriquet (American Spelling: Sobriquet): [Noun] An informal name or title that you give somebody.

Synonyms: nickname, nomenclature, identity, diminutive, appelation.

Example: The pecuniary crimes in Nigeria has caused an opprobrious soubriquet of scorn by some other countries.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 09, 2013
Thanks for joining us, Larry-sun

Yes I agree with you, not all words have origin. But let's try as much as possible to share words that has origin cos it helps in remembering new words when one needs to use them.

Thanks for sharing the word Soubriquet. I googled the pronunciation, and I found- /"s@U.brI.keI/

Etymology
From French sobriquet (“nickname”), from
Middle French soubriquet (“a chuck under
the chin”).

Do you know the word 'opprobrious' is also new to me? cheesy I just found out it means 'shameful' or 'dishonourable'.

Well done and thanks for joining us smiley

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 09, 2013
Ooooooops! Double post
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by luvmijeje(f): 10:49pm On May 09, 2013
Larry-Sun:
cheesy

[Sorry, I'm not much of a pronunciation freak, and not all words have origins. I'll just give the words, their meanings, synonyms and usages. I hope you don't mind. This is cool]

Soubriquet (American Spelling: Sobriquet): [Noun] An informal name or title that you give somebody.

Synonyms: nickname, nomenclature, identity, diminutive, appelation.

Example: The pecuniary crimes in Nigeria has caused an opprobrious soubriquet of scorn by some other countries.
He has come o. Pecuniary and opprobrious just to break down the word soubriquet, abeg softly.

1 Like

Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 7:13am On May 10, 2013
^^^
Looool I'm learning!
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 11, 2013
WORD: snafu \sna-FOO, SNAF-oo\,

noun:
1. a badly confused or ridiculously muddled situation:
A ballot snafu in the election led to a recount.

adjective:
1. Rare. in disorder; out of control; chaotic:
A snafu scheme that simply won't work.

verb:
1. Rare. to throw into disorder; muddle:
Losing his passport snafued the whole vacation.
There was no snafu in the five-year plan.
There was a deliberate strategy of recycling very-low-grade nuclear waste in building materials.
He'd say it was a snafu, by no means the first, from what I hear. Anyway, no sense in making a fuss.

ORIGIN: Snafu is a neologism that originated as an acronym for "s(ituation) n(ormal): a(ll) f(ouled) u(p)." During World War II, soldiers used the phrase to describe the general disorder of war.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 1:34pm On May 11, 2013
pi·quant
/ˈpēkənt/

Adjective
Having a pleasantly sharp taste or appetizing flavor.
Pleasantly stimulating or exciting to the mind.
Synonyms spicy - pungent - poignant - racy - savoury - savory

Get creative and correct: say no more `pepperish`, instead, say Piquant
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 12, 2013
WORD: nocebo /nocebo/
/nəʊˈsiːbəʊ/, /nɒˈsiːbəʊ/,

Noun
Chiefly attrib., esp. in nocebo effect, nocebo response. A detrimental effect on health produced by psychological or psychosomatic factors such as negative expectations of treatment or prognosis, cultural beliefs about illness, personality traits, etc.; spec. adverse effects reported after administration of a placebo.

ETYMOLOGY:  classical Latin nocēbō I shall cause harm or be harmful, 1st singular future indicative of nocēre to harm, after placebo n. 

USAGE:
1. It is somewhat surprising that little attention has been drawn to the existence of the contrary effect [to the placebo]—which I may call the nocebo reaction.

2. Financial reward for illness thus functions as a powerful nocebo, a nonspecific force creating and exacerbating illness.

3. Patients experiencing the nocebo effect..presume the worst, health-wise, and that's just what they get.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 12, 2013
Well done, Zachie smiley
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by ZACHIE: 3:21pm On May 14, 2013
Kofsy
Your post was hidden. I wonder what may have touched the hearts of the mods to do that.
By the way, I have a grouse with NOCEBO.
It is non-English in most dictionaries I know.
Tell me, is it a foreign word?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 10:12am On May 16, 2013
WORD: circadian \sur-KEY-dee-uhn, -KAD-ee-, sur-kuh-DEE-uhn\,

adjective:
noting or pertaining to rhythmic biological cycles recurring at approximately 24-hour intervals.

USAGE/EXAMPLE:
My circadian clock, which puts me to sleep at night and wakes me up in the morning in a regular twenty-four-hour fashion, has a larger arc that seems set at twenty-four weeks.
Even a guard on night duty succumbs to the body's natural circadian rhythms and would be far from alert.
The Jungle, 2010Circadian was first used to apply to the "circadian rhythms" of the body, primarily our daily internal cycles of hunger, rest and wakefulness.

ETYMOLOGY:
It comes from the Latin roots 'circā' meaning "about" and 'di' meaning "day".
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 11:01am On May 16, 2013
Hi Zachie. How are you doing? I was banned. I don't know if any of the so called "super mods" will be civil enough to give me a reasonable reason for that.
Regarding 'Nocebo' it is a medical term. In medicine, a nocebo is a harmless
substance that creates harmful effects in a
patient who takes it.
It is a Latin for "I will harm", so we can say it's a foreign word cos it originated from Latin.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 7:38pm On May 16, 2013
Hi. This is a nice thread I must say. I'm also preparing for GRE and TOEFL.

I would paste GRE words here but I don't fancy these 'origin tales'. cool

Word: Chicanery.

Noun.

Meaning: deception, trickery.

Word: Veneration.

Noun.

Meaning: To show great respect.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 16, 2013
You're welcome Shola! There is no problem, you can drop your words without their etymology.
I'm happy to hear that you are also preparing for GRE. When do you intend to take the exam? Have you done your registration?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 10:45pm On May 16, 2013
I should do my registration next week. I'm planning to do my GRE by August and TOEFL by October. You?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 2:32am On May 17, 2013
sholay2011: I should do my registration next week. I'm planning to do my GRE by August and TOEFL by October. You?
Wow! I plan august too grin grin how do you intend to go about your registration? Are you using an agent?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 3:51am On May 17, 2013
kofsy:
Wow! I plan august too grin grin how do you intend to go about your registration? Are you using an agent?
I am registering with a company that (cant remember the name but sounds like MET) deals with all these exams and travelling abroad. They have a branch in Akure with their head office in lagos.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 3:52am On May 17, 2013
kofsy:
I am registering with a company that (cant remember the name but sounds like MET) deals with all these exams and travelling abroad. They have a branch in Akure with their head office in lagos.

So, paying through them, does that mean I'm using an agent? grin
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 9:12am On May 17, 2013
Yes Shola, they are called agents. How much did they charge you?
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by sholay2011(m): 10:39am On May 17, 2013
kofsy: Yes Shola, they are called agents. How much did they charge you?
50k for GRE and 42k for TOEFL. I know dats quite expensive compared to agents in other places but that's the only agent I know in Akure.

I'm reading on my own. No coaching lessons.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 11:33am On May 17, 2013
sholay2011:
50k for GRE and 42k for TOEFL. I know dats quite expensive compared to agents in other places but that's the only agent I know in Akure.

I'm reading on my own. No coaching lessons.

shocked shocked shocked 50K? That's ridiculous! Me I don't plan using any agent o! I will do the reg myself. But I hope you know you'd have to come to lagos or abuja to write the exam? Considering the fact that those are the only two places you can find a GRE test center in Nigeria.
I'm also preparing on my own! No coaching lessons... Have you started serious reading? I'm not really serious with my own studying yet o. Perhaps we can become study/reading partner cheesy cheesy cheesy just to motivate each other!
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 11:37am On May 17, 2013
WORD: motza \MOT-ser\,

noun:

a large amount of money, especially a sum won in gambling.

USAGE:
More profit, higher share price. These people I've been talking about own swags of shares. Each share price rise, they make a motza.

ETYMOLOGY:
Motza is Australian slang that possibly came from the Italian word mezzo meaning "half" or from the Yiddish word matzo meaning "unleavened bread." Regardless of its origin, it entered English in early twentieth century.
Re: Word Of The Day- Improve Your Vocab by Nobody: 11:41am On May 17, 2013
Zachie dear, I've not heard from you lately... Hope all is well? I miss your presence here o!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Souloho19 Wins July 5k Award / Whats The Most Interesting Novel You've Ever Read? / Those Days In Command Sec School Ipaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.