Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed (5482 Views)

Couple Enter Their Wedding Reception In A Tractor (Photos) / Church & Wedding Reception At Lagos Beach By Nigerian Couple (photos) / Pictures Of Lovely Wedding Reception Decorations And Cakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 2:54pm On May 08, 2013
Good morning,
I'm American and my guy is Yoruba. We're planning a wedding ceremony and reception this fall. I am seeking advice, ideas, suggestions on two things:
1) How to fuse traditions from both cultures at the reception to give guests from both cultures a peek at the other culture (Southern and Yoruba). This is what we have planned so far - - We plan on changing into traditional clothes at some point during the reception. We will play a mix of American and Nigerian music. And I'm surprising him with a Nigerian themed cake that I saw online where the couple is in Native dress and sitting on luggage or pillows. It will be the groom's cake. Also I would like to serve both Southern and Nigerian food. That brings me to my next request.
2) Any NLers living in Georgia or upper Florida (Tallahassee or Jacksonville) who can refer a good Nigerian (Yoruba) caterer?
I greatly appreciate your help!

2 Likes

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 08, 2013
I think you should move your thread to Events section.

How've you been? Long time. Congrats and best of luck. smiley Respect is the key to please a Yoruba man and his people and they'd love you forever , won't take a dime outta you wink take care.
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by devigblegble: 5:37pm On May 08, 2013
Happy for u miss, u'll enjoy the culture but above all wish u a happy married life in advance
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by zolajpower: 5:43pm On May 08, 2013
i hope you will be patience though cos yoruba men are known for polygamous marriage, albeit they are known to appreciate salutations. enjoy it grin
my account has been compromised and or hacked . I know my comments when I see them . Thanks need to change my password and username very fast . This real .

3 Likes

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by supaeagles(m): 5:43pm On May 08, 2013
Congrats!!, Hope your fiance is not on NL and reading all the wonderful surprises you are planning for him...

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by outrage: 5:44pm On May 08, 2013
This one your just emphasizing on the yoruba.. Relax now, we are all nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by outrage: 5:45pm On May 08, 2013
Booked space
make I go cool down come back
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by DisGuy: 5:47pm On May 08, 2013
SewaG.R.I.T.S:
Good morning,
I'm American and my guy is Yoruba. We're planning a wedding ceremony and reception this fall. I am seeking advice, ideas, suggestions on two things:
1) How to fuse traditions from both cultures at the reception to give guests from both cultures a peek at the other culture (Southern and Yoruba). This is what we have planned so far - - We plan on changing into traditional clothes at some point during the reception. We will play a mix of American and Nigerian music. And I'm surprising him with a Nigerian themed cake that I saw online where the couple is in Native dress and sitting on luggage or pillows. It will be the groom's cake. Also I would like to serve both Southern and Nigerian food. That brings me to my next request.
2) Any NLers living in Georgia or upper Florida (Tallahassee or Jacksonville) who can refer a good Nigerian (Yoruba) caterer?

ignorant me, didnt know americans had culture- anything thats not traditional african will do

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by babymama3: 5:52pm On May 08, 2013
SewaG.R.I.T.S:
Good morning,
Let me recommend a Chef to you
Chef Okon

http://nations-cafe.com/About.html

I attended a wedding in Georgia and he catered the food and it was the best food I had eaten in any Nigerian event
I am not related or affiliated with him in any way
I had to get his card in case someone ever asked or I needed to use him
His food is very very good,edikaikong soup,jollof,fried rice,stewed meat,moi moi ,suya etc
Very pleasant gentleman too
I know good food and this is one I can testify to

All the best in your upcoming wedding

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by amypaul(f): 5:54pm On May 08, 2013
zolajpower: i hope you will be patience though cos yoruba men are known for polygamous marriage, albeit they are known to appreciate salutations. enjoy it grin
Asiri, Amibo that was not her question. @Op everybody is not d same. Congrats in advance, I like ur courage.

3 Likes

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SlyIg(f): 6:00pm On May 08, 2013
Nairaland is really multi functional.
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SlyIg(f): 6:03pm On May 08, 2013
Lest i forget, congrats o.
But if you need the service of a moderator,please don't fail to contact Oga Seun to dash you one
Hope i didn't break any of the above rules and regulations pls.
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by nyerem(f): 6:07pm On May 08, 2013
***out of point tho***
Happy birthday 2 me.

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by biafranqueen: 6:12pm On May 08, 2013
Buka Lounge caters
5475 Memorial Dr
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
(404) 292-2852

Also Toyin

495 Pat Mell Rd SW
Ste 105
Marietta, GA 30060
(404) 835-7702
These are the two I eat at when I attended trade shows in Atlanta both very good Congrats may this union last 4ever and a day
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SlyIg(f): 6:17pm On May 08, 2013
nyerem: ***out of point tho***
Happy birthday 2 me.
Rule no.1 broken by her!
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 08, 2013
zolajpower: i hope you will be PATIENCE though cos yoruba men are known for polygamous marriage, albeit they are known to appreciate salutations. enjoy it grin
gbaaagggaaaunnn
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by Rocktation(f): 7:02pm On May 08, 2013
Oh well, you have it all sorted out then. Fusing cultures doesn't get better than dancing to some music, serving foods, and dressing in accordance with the different cultures.
All the best.
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 08, 2013
Happy married life dear.why dont you use an african setting/decoration as your high table where you and your husband will seat then use your own cultural decoration for the seats/arrangements of guest so that there will be a touch of african and american issshhhh.you get my point then in the serving of guests,there can be african meals and american meals.something like eba/ efo riro and or your local food served to enable the guests make their choice.as for the music.you can play a mixture of nigerian songs and american songs e.g you can play 2 of flavours songs and play 2 of beyonces songs.you get,just get a good dj that will do that for you but above all be respectful to your inlaws but firm,let your yes be yes and your no be no.dont try so hard or go out of your way to impress your inlaws just be you.cheesy

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 7:49pm On May 08, 2013
jidegirl12: I think you should move your thread to Events section.

How've you been? Long time. Congrats and best of luck. smiley Respect is the key to please a Yoruba man and his people and they'd love you forever , won't take a dime outta you wink take care.

Duly noted :-) Thanks jidegirl...I'm well, thanks for asking and thanks for the well wishes. He's a great guy and has a really kind heart. I'm looking forward to a lifetime and more :-)
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 7:53pm On May 08, 2013
supaeagles: Congrats!!, Hope your fiance is not on NL and reading all the wonderful surprises you are planning for him...

Lol...I hope not too o... In case he does I do have a few other surprises up my sleeve too ;-) Thanks for the well wishes :-)

1 Like

Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 7:56pm On May 08, 2013
outrage: This one your just emphasizing on the yoruba.. Relax now, we are all nigerians.

No offense intended but from the few years that we have been together I know how important his Yoruba heritage is to him...plus there are differences in food and language.
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 8:00pm On May 08, 2013
baby_mama:
Let me recommend a Chef to you
Chef Okon

http://nations-cafe.com/About.html

I attended a wedding in Georgia and he catered the food and it was the best food I had eaten in any Nigerian event
I am not related or affiliated with him in any way
I had to get his card in case someone ever asked or I needed to use him
His food is very very good,edikaikong soup,jollof,fried rice,stewed meat,moi moi ,suya etc
Very pleasant gentleman too
I know good food and this is one I can testify to

All the best in your upcoming wedding

Thank you so much...just what I was looking for. I appreciate!
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 8:02pm On May 08, 2013
biafranqueen: Buka Lounge caters
5475 Memorial Dr
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
(404) 292-2852

Also Toyin

495 Pat Mell Rd SW
Ste 105
Marietta, GA 30060
(404) 835-7702
These are the two I eat at when I attended trade shows in Atlanta both very good Congrats may this union last 4ever and a day

Thank you so much for the info and the well wishes :-)
Re: Planning A Cross Cultural Wedding Reception-ideas Needed by SewaGRITS(f): 8:07pm On May 08, 2013
Thank you all for the congrats and well wishes :-) :-) I appreciate the suggestions too. I would love to have more info, so keep it coming. Thanks again! Much love :-)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Simple And Classy Wedding; Total Expenses N805,000. All Expenses Covered To T / How To Register Yourself Online To Join Oriflame In Nigeria / Full List Of Gospel Ministers For Abuja Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.