Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,203 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? (656 Views)

He Got Me Pregnant And Left Me To Suffer / A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome / Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by 234pearl: 6:02pm On May 08, 2013
I remember tagging along when my mum went shopping every last Saturday of the month. I always drew one heavy step after another because that was my least favourite chore – grocery shopping. The market was always messy and when we passed the butchers’, oh, that stench! And I always wondered if it was the same piece of meat exposed on wooden tables, which also had flies hovering over it, that we were going to put into our pot of stew!

Sometimes we would buy so much and have to carry so many bags. When we had to stop to buy another item, I would drop the bags to rest my hands, and sometimes, forget that I kept the nylon with the pack of Maggi cubes on the okro seller’s table! We would get home and begin to look for Maggi. I would then remember the okro seller’s stand, miles away. My ears would remain sore for days from pulling and twitching.

As much as I hated going to the market, I still went with mum on every trip. I had to help. It was the least I could do considering that she was going to grind the pepper with a grinding stone (yes, grinding stone! My dad claims the taste of blender-stew is different!) and “wash” beans for moi-moi with a protruding belly.

It became more difficult when I first left for boarding school. Mum was in her third trimester and she had to do the market trips alone. She was always easily exhausted as she dragged the heavy bags home. She couldn’t bargain as well as she used to. She had to sit to rest at every stall she bought an item from. When asked why she did all of that, she’d say ‘such is the fragrance of motherhood, the pact of every African woman’.

Thirteen years later, when asked about my mum’s household care pattern, I say that method is called ‘suffer-head theory’. Yes, I do not believe the fragrance of motherhood is to overwork oneself. Grind pepper with stones? If you don’t like the taste of blender-stew, please add more curry!

My life is much easier. I do not do market trips anymore. My family eats very healthy too. The secret? I buy my groceries online! I draw up a list of the items I need and log on to any one of the grocery sites. My favourite being www.jaramall.com. I buy all I need and have them delivered to my home. When no one is available to receive the groceries at home, I request for them to be brought to my office and I take them home. And my groceries are always fresh and well-packaged – no flies or stench!

I am a 21st century woman and even at that, my family stays healthy! So, whose household care pattern do you dig? Mine or my mum’s?
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by greatgod2012(f): 7:09pm On May 08, 2013
By style, by style, you just advertised your nline business to us.
Wishing you more sales o
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by Igabe(f): 8:42pm On May 08, 2013
)) ˚°◦ahahahahaha....laughing in latin words. Not bad any way.
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by Godmother(f): 9:15pm On May 08, 2013
Nice advertising strategy. I have bookmarked ur site. I just wonder. How much d delivery charges will be
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by 234pearl: 11:41am On May 09, 2013
Godmother: Nice advertising strategy. I have bookmarked ur site. I just wonder. How much d delivery charges will be

Thanks! Delivery is free within Lagos!!!
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by raymondati: 11:50am On May 09, 2013
Godmother: Nice advertising strategy. I have bookmarked ur site. I just wonder. How much d delivery charges will be

Oboy!!! the delivery is free oh. WOW!!
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by vanitty: 12:20pm On May 09, 2013
I am a 21st century woman . . . well I think I am but I am still guilty of the suffer-head strategy if that is what it is called.

I just don't have the time to be buying foodstuff one by one, I will rather buy everything in bulk. The only thing I can say I still buy quite regularly is bread, milk and eggs.
Also, I am a bit iffy on buying foodstuff online especially perishable items that needs to be freezed.

On that saturday that I have scheduled for food shopping, everyone in my household knows and cooperate fastfast grin grin

Very nice website though wink
Re: Suffer-head: Is That The Fragrance Of An African Woman? by Godmother(f): 6:31pm On May 09, 2013
Free delivery shocked This is impressive!

(1) (Reply)

Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods.nafdac Please Take Note! / Things You Have To Do As A Mother / Share Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.