Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,122 members, 7,807,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Is Going For Masters Better For Me - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Going For Masters Better For Me (2091 Views)

Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Rich4god(m): 12:51am On May 09, 2013
Hello all... Am about finishing my NYSC and I have the intention of purchasing a Masters form to further my education. The question now is... Is it better for me to keep searching for job and forget about the Masters, or should I just start my Masters degree now. Thanks.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by sexy74(m): 5:57am On May 09, 2013
Let this guide you always
" Always move from known to the unknowm."
If masters is certain go for it that does not stop you from looking for a job.

1 Like

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by segsxpendable(m): 6:04am On May 09, 2013
how can we advice you when you've failed to tell us the course you read in your first degree...we need more info about your academic career
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Rich4god(m): 12:06am On May 10, 2013
segs_xpendable: how can we advice you when you've failed to tell us the course you read in your first degree...we need more info about your academic career
Read Chemical Engr and still want to do my masters in same field.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by AjanleKoko: 10:27am On May 10, 2013
Rich4god:

If you want to build a house for your dog . . . then go ahead and build one.
But it might not fit your dog wink grin cheesy cool

1 Like

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Rich4god(m): 3:22pm On May 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

If you want to build a house for your dog . . . then go ahead and build one.
But it might not fit your dog wink grin cheesy cool
Meaning...?
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by olajideonline(m): 3:37pm On May 10, 2013
Nobody will be able to answer that question for you. You are the right person to answer it when you are able to identify your long term goals.

B.sc is a short term goal or probably a goal that has been achieved.
M.BA or Msc is long term+++++. i hope you understand the plus.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Otuabaroku: 8:32pm On May 10, 2013
@op. It is always advisable to work with your first degree to get work experience. During this period, you would have gained a great insight in your field to know if you actually need to pursue Masters degree or not. Mind you, if your first degree can not give you the job you are looking for as a fresh graduate now, it is not guaranteed that your Masters would.

So,concentrate your effort now to getting job and experience. In this field, experience counts more than certificates.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by ayommyjay(f): 6:25am On May 11, 2013
[quote author=Rich4god]
This Ĭ§ what I always tell our graduates,u finished B.sc Mechanical Engr,u re not sure of getting job with your first certificate u still want to pursue another certificate' wimp'.if u re hungry for more knowledge y can't u go n learn practical aspect of your field instead of additional paper n less clue of practical aspect of what u learn in skool.Go to nearest mechanic shop in your area n learn work S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡​ that u can create 1,then after u can go for master even Phd to package yourself n distinct among other mechanic shop in your area.Gbam

1 Like

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by AjanleKoko: 11:14am On May 12, 2013
Rich4god:
Meaning...?

Meaning, the best thing to do is use a ruler.
With a ruler you can measure your dog. Up and down, and even sideways.

Then you have a perfect Dog House. Unless your dog decides to walk on his hind legs grin grin wink tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 12, 2013
Rich4god: Hello all... Am about finishing my NYSC and I have the intention of purchasing a Masters form to further my education. The question now is... Is it better for me to keep searching for job and forget about the Masters, or should I just start my Masters degree now. Thanks.

Hello,

Let me make one thing clear to you, engineering is a practical course, no amount of certificates can make you a better engineer.
Sadly one thing they have refused to drum into our heads, especially for the engineering graduates is that, an engineer, can never be made in the classroom, he/she is made in the field.

If you have a good GPA, you could jostle for the few available entry level opportunities, if you don't succeed then look for an alternative (gain practical experience my guy)

A masters certificate will add little or no value, to you, except if you by chance find yourself at Havard grin grin
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by thurpee(m): 3:46pm On May 12, 2013
[quote author=ayommyjay][/quote]
Chem engr dey learn for mechanic workshop?

1 Like

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Rich4god(m): 8:16pm On May 12, 2013
Sorry guys, I fail to point out something... I want to venture into academics line (ie being a lecturer). Am still looking for work with my B.Eng degree,all i want to know is, will having a masters degree give me an edge in going into the academics line.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 12, 2013
Rich4god: Sorry guys, I fail to point out something... I want to venture into academics line (ie being a lecturer). Am still looking for work with my B.Eng degree,all i want to know is, will having a masters degree give me an edge in going into the academics line.

Haba you, for talk this one before na....

Definitely you will need to get even your PhD to be considered for lecturing these days...
I dunno of other schools o, but where I graduated from, you either have a PhD or show evidence that you are pursuing one, to become a lecturer. In fact all lecturers that were still on masters degree level were told to start their PhD or get the boot.

On the other hand, it is still important to get the practical experience, it will help you become a better lecturer on the long run.

1 Like

Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 05, 2013
Go and write GRE joor and move your a*ss to the States for your PhD
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Rich4god(m): 9:22am On Jun 05, 2013
Nigayoyo: Go and write GRE joor and move your a*ss to the States for your PhD
And your point is...
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by giftbox: 1:45pm On Jun 05, 2013
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by AjanleKoko: 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2013
giftbox: i have an issue too, studied elect engineering, 2.1, with ccna, but searched for job till i got one soo off my field, as a sales personnel, i have no job satisfaction there, wanna get msc form @ unilag n resign, dunno what to do, cos i would prefer an engineering job. what do u advice me plsss

Which jobs have you looked for in your field?
What skills have you tried to acquire outside your certificates?
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by giftbox: 4:57pm On Jun 05, 2013
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On Jun 05, 2013
giftbox: @ajanlekoko, i have looked for graduate trainee jobs in engineering, I.T, but most times dnt proceed even after the 2nd/3rd interviews. am an armature web designer, and i teach well too. please what is your advice?
i am desperately looking for an I.T. or engr job not necessarily the pay now but the experience, and i am a fast learner.

Hmm.
Most likely those jobs you interviewed for, you competed with people who have some measure of experience.
Have you thought about getting some practical training? For example in IT or telecom.
There are some good training courses you can do on the side, while you do your sales job to make a living. There's TTC Mobile, and some other companies. Apart from that, try to learn some sys-admin skills like Windows, UNIX/LINUX, even programming (not web designing, every Tom Dick and Harry is a designer these days). That Cisco certification is only useful if you can find a job that will expose you to Cisco equipment.

You need to take time and money, make personal sacrifices, to develop yourself, if you want a job in your area of specialization, you have to work harder to get it. That's what I did, way back in 1998, and I didn't even have a 2:1. It's not impossible for you to do. Just focus less on Shell and Chevron for now (though keep doing their aptitude tests whenever they come up).
Hope this helps.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 05, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
Most likely those jobs you interviewed for, you competed with people who have some measure of experience.
Have you thought about getting some practical training? For example in IT or telecom.
There are some good training courses you can do on the side, while you do your sales job to make a living. There's TTC Mobile, and some other companies. Apart from that, try to learn some sys-admin skills like Windows, UNIX/LINUX, even programming (not web designing, every Tom Dick and Harry is a designer these days). That Cisco certification is only useful if you can find a job that will expose you to Cisco equipment.

You need to take time and money, make personal sacrifices, to develop yourself, if you want a job in your area of specialization, you have to work harder to get it. That's what I did, way back in 1998, and I didn't even have a 2:1. It's not impossible for you to do. Just focus less on Shell and Chevron for now (though keep doing their aptitude tests whenever they come up).

Thank you sir for this.

Personally I have decided to develop myself till I become good enough, 'not to be ignored' anymore.
Engineering is a fantastic field, and its great if you have the practical experience.
I truly see Nigeria moving from a certificate oriented society to a skill oriented one, so am gonna keep working hard at self development.
Thanks again for the tips,
Hope this helps.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Obiwannn: 2:52am On Dec 20, 2014
sexy74:
Let this guide you always
" Always move from known to the unknowm."
If masters is certain go for it that does not stop you from looking for a job.

st. Thomas Aquinas.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 20, 2014
Keep the masters application going if you can afford it, but make sure you start off a career NOW. You can combine both. If it is an either... or..., then get a job, and forget the Msc for the meantime, unless your dream is an academic career.
Re: Is Going For Masters Better For Me by asalimpo(m): 8:22pm On Dec 20, 2014
If u can afford it go for a phd.
It doesnt matter whether u wanna teach or not, being @ d cutting edge of ur field qualifies you for certain rare opprtunities.
Esp. If u get to leave d country.

The bsc is usually rudimentary,
you learn century old facts, learn the basics of many things.
The msc too is kinda pale and a rehash, not much different from bsc except some deeper coverage is done on certain subjects.
The phD is the killer one, you are not going to b spoonfed concepts like is done in bsc and msc but you will b required to produce original research tht cud impact d field of ur study by advancg d frontiers of knowledge.
Not tht bsc n msc dont make an impact but theyre plagued with shallowness of topic coverage.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria, knowledge is nt appreciated. Money is.

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Document Printing And Binding In Lagos, Nigeria / How To Earn 20,000 Naira A Day Or Even More Without Leaving Home? / Professional Female Drivers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.