Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 (7417 Views)

Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy / President-Elect To Emerge Today-Jega / Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by kingingkinging: 10:18am On May 09, 2013
•Nigeria’s wealthiest reside in Abuja, Lagos
Obinna Chima
The planned rebasing of Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is expected to raise Lagos State to Africa's 13th biggest economy by 2014, a report assessing the respective economies of the 36 states of the federation has shown.
In its latest report titled, “Nigeria Unveiled: Thirty Six Shades of Nigeria” Renaissance Capital (RenCap), an investment and financial advisory firm, also said that with a per capita income of approximately $4,000, which is more than double the national average of $1,700, the wealthiest people in Nigeria reside in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Abuja’s per capita income is equivalent to that of Tunisia and Ukraine.
With a per capita income of $2,900, Abuja is followed by Lagos with second wealthiest residents in the country, which puts it at par with Morocco and Sri Lanka.
The report showed that while much has been written in recent years about Nigeria’s rising economic significance, very little is known about the country’s 36 states.
It said Lagos State’s economy would be equivalent to the Ghanaian economy post-GDP rebasing, adding that the heart of Nigeria’s $284 billion GDP economy is clearly in Lagos.
Rencap said: “We base our analysis on states’ internally generated revenue, which make up 15 per cent of state government revenue, and consumption data, as proxies for state income.
“Lagos State produces about 12 per cent of Nigeria’s GDP, which is equivalent to $32 billion by 2013 ending. Post rebasing, which we now expect in early 2014, we estimate a 40 per cent upward revision in the country's national income.
“By our estimates, the Lagos State economy will become Africa's 13th biggest economy in 2014 at approximately $45 billion – equivalent to that of Ghana.”
According to the report, Nigeria’s second wealthiest state is in the north. “ Kano State is Nigeria’s second wealthiest economy, with an economy of $17 billion, by our estimates, which is equivalent in size to Botswana’s economy.
“Kano State is the anchor state of poorer northern Nigeria. Historically, Kano State has been a commercial and agricultural state. In pre-colonial times, Kano city, the state capital, served as the southernmost point of the famous trans-Sahara trade routes.
“Kano State has produced some of Nigeria’s most influential and wealthiest people, including Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote. Interestingly, Dangote’s great grandfather, Alhassan Dantata was the wealthiest man in West Africa during the colonial period.
“Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi’s grandfather held the influential position of Emir of Kano,” the report said.
The RenCap report further showed that Jigawa, which is bordered by the Republic of Niger to the north, is home to Nigeria’s poorest people, with average per capita income of $850, which puts it at par with that of Zimbabwe.
“We believe the state’s low per capita income partially reflects its very low rate of urbanisation. Nine out of 10 people in Jigawa State live in rural areas.”
In terms of demographics, the report stated that the populations of Kano and Lagos State – Nigeria’s most populous states – are equivalent to that of Portugal.
“Kano and Lagos are each home to 7 per cent of the country’s 170 million population, implying that each has a population of an estimated 10 million people,” the investment firm said in the report.
The report also delved into other areas of the north-south divide showing that there is a notable difference between both regions in terms of household sizes.
“Nigeria’s (richer) south-west states have smaller household sizes than its (poorer) northern counterparts. As is true globally, middle-class families tend to have fewer children, and invest more in each individual child.
“The states with the biggest household sizes are the two northern, neighbouring states of Bauchi and Gombi, where households are, on average, made up of over seven people.
“Lagos is among the states with the smallest household sizes – (4.9 people). Given that Lagos State is the most densely populated state in Nigeria, and its average household size is relatively small, the implication is that property prices (per square metre) must be expensive compared with those in other states,” the report stated.
The report also showed that Lagos has the highest net primary school completion ratio in Nigeria at 70.6 per cent, adding that the south-west population is more likely to have completed primary school than its counterparts in northern Nigeria.
“The most educated workforce in coming years will also be apparent in the south and south-west, where at least 60 per cent of the children complete secondary school.
“We think education levels in the south and south west are likely to spur even faster growth, as we have seen in emerging markets globally.”
Focusing on the middle class, the report said consumer companies are likely to find the greatest opportunities in states with the greatest purchasing power such as Lagos, Abuja, Oyo, Osun, Kaduna and Nassarawa, as well as the Niger Delta states.
It also stated that there are opportunities for banks to expand services and employees into states with a combination of high income and high population density, adding that this would provide the footfall required for branch expansion.
According to the report, states with such opportunities include Anambra, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Osun.
Continuing, it said: “Consumers are more likely to buy branded goods in the FCT, Lagos, Delta and Rivers States. This, we infer from these states’ relatively low food spend/total consumption expenditure, which implies relatively high discretionary income.
“We think these states may also drive air travel, and may prove to be higher value-added customers for telecoms companies.
“We believe food retailers have expansion opportunities in states beyond the southern region that are characterised by relatively high food spend, such as Nassarawa, Niger and Kaduna

SOURCE: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-to-emerge-13th-largest-economy-in-africa-by-2014/147109/
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by veraponpo(m): 10:53am On May 09, 2013
This is a good thing. Front page pls.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by mandarin: 2:50pm On May 09, 2013
Lagos to Emerge 13th Largest Economy in Africa by 2014? I believe it should be among the top ten economies due to a large informal sector. I however do not believe in the 170 million population figures given. Over the years Nigeria's population has been disputed as shams and it will be very erroneous to build estimates on such contested figures against all obvious socio- economic factors that determine population growth.
I think Nigeria needs to evolve a political arrangements that will take off the essence of population.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by phantom(m): 3:02pm On May 09, 2013
This news would have been a lot better if too much power didnt rest in the hands of the federal government.let them just allow fiscal federalism and watch this country move forward with the speed of light.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by gbokukueba(m): 3:12pm On May 09, 2013
Today it will be Lagos is the 3rd worst city to live in tomorrow it will be Lagos is the most expensive city after it will be the 13th largest economy... reports, reports and more reports...

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by dahdah: 3:20pm On May 09, 2013
PIDGIN ISN'T ALLOWED ON NAIRALAND, I FOR COMMENT ON THIS BUT I DEY FEAR WETIN SEUN GO DO IF I TYPE IN PIDGIN...I NO ONE GO AGAINST RULE NUMBER 21

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by phantom(m): 3:23pm On May 09, 2013
dahdah: PIDGIN ISN'T ALLOWED ON NAIRALAND, I FOR COMMENT ON THIS BUT I DEY FEAR WETIN SEUN GO DO IF I TYPE IN PIDGIN...I NO ONE GO AGAINST RULE NUMBER 21
Clown!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by dahdah: 3:25pm On May 09, 2013
phantom: Clown!
ARE U ALRIGHT?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by icekenkey(m): 3:25pm On May 09, 2013
This is good news. However, let me point out one inaccuracy: According to the CIA World Fact Book, Ghana's economy stands at $83.18 billion and not $45 billion. Ghana's per capital income is $3,300.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gh.html

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by solomon111(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2013
Kudos to the FG
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 09, 2013
Eko oni baje ooo
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 09, 2013
solomon111: Kudos to the FG
what did fg do

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by elampiro(m): 3:37pm On May 09, 2013
13th in Africa. That sounds shameful.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Krasid(m): 3:47pm On May 09, 2013
elampiro: 13th in Africa. That sounds shameful.
you sound shameful.Understand the thread,they are comparing lagos to other countries in africa.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Capnd143(m): 3:50pm On May 09, 2013
elampiro: 13th in Africa. That sounds shameful.
i cant quite understand! Is it that you are a fool or u want to become one? Do you think it is easy for a state economy to compete against a whole nation ? Get your facts right bro! It is Lagos against African countries.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ektbear: 3:57pm On May 09, 2013
Interesting. Some of the things here are surprising to me.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by dridowu: 4:03pm On May 09, 2013
Lasgidi , the only original state in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by HOTWATER(m): 4:51pm On May 09, 2013
Just wish that the gov in Lagos could do well to provide Water in Lagos . It still baffles me that 13yrs into our democracy , Lagos cannot boast of available good water for lagosion. We all will be a lot better for it.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ninja4life(m): 5:30pm On May 09, 2013
Hmm south west oni baje o our governors needs to invest in moreeducation,health and infracstructures even if we are been neglected by d fg.kudos and also we donot want only statistics we want to see development not only growth by them investing in education.oduduwa a gbe wa o
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Samxiulee: 5:40pm On May 09, 2013
Placing osun above,ogun,oyo and anambra states makes this statistics questionable,
Btw am a Lagosian
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 09, 2013
lagos is not just s state competing against other countries. It is a 3500square km, 20percent or more of it is covered with water, competing with several countries. It is also a state with almost no mineral resources except aquatic life, competing with mineral rich countries.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 09, 2013
souldust: lagos is not just s state competing against other countries. It is a 3500square km, 20percent or more of it is covered with water, competing with several countries. It is also a state with almost no mineral resources except aquatic life, competing with mineral rich countries.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by PeterKbaba: 9:28pm On May 09, 2013
Wow.... Nice
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Rhino5dm: 9:39pm On May 09, 2013
Can't wait to have Lagos as the New capital of Oodua republic by 2015. Make efery bodi hansa him papa name. cool

Gotta love the sight of VGC.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by eriegua83: 10:12pm On May 09, 2013
I taught Fashola said Lagos economy is rated above that of uk nd some foolish lagosians believed him. So what is this now?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Rhino5dm: 10:23pm On May 09, 2013
eriegua83: I taught Fashola said Lagos economy is rated above that of uk nd some foolish lagosians believed him. So what is this now?

Is that what you taught? Indeed, you are the most foolish of all. Go back and read what he said, that is, if your low IQ won't betray you once more.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 09, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
Make efery bodi hansa him papa name. cool

Really? Like seriously? cry
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:09pm On May 09, 2013
veraponpo: This is a good thing. Front page pls.
na who die?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by rosebowl01(m): 11:21pm On May 09, 2013
Wrong! According to CIAFactbook, Ghana's GDP (OFFICIAL EXCHANGE RATE) is $40.2 Billion. Lagos' GDP after it is rebased is projected to be more than that of Ghana's entire economy. If Lagos' GDP in terms of Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) is considered, then it is more than Ghana's $83 Billion.
Mind you, Ghana's GDP is already rebased/revised upwards. Nigeria has not done that yet.

icekenkey: This is good news. However, let me point out one inaccuracy: According to the CIA World Fact Book, Ghana's economy stands at $83.18 billion and not $45 billion. Ghana's per capital income is $3,300.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gh.html

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Rhino5dm: 11:31pm On May 09, 2013
berem: Really? Like seriously? cry

Yes oo! Peaceful or violent disintegration of Nigeria is a must!
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 09, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Yes oo! Peaceful or violent disintegration of Nigeria is a must!
I think I'll go with peaceful. don't wanna experience war.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ratty4: 12:16am On May 10, 2013
Lasgidi all the way

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo Of 1983 Newspaper On How Buhari 'diversified' Economy With Soldiers / Meet Udom Gabriel Emmanuel - Profile of Akwa Ibom State Governor Elect / 2017 British And Commonwealth Remembrance Day Service Held In Abuja (photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.