Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,378 members, 7,808,343 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging (7128 Views)

Linda Ikeji Blog: What You Must Know Before Start Blogging / Blogging! A Nice Profession Bastardized By Mediocrity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by oshobar(m): 9:07pm On May 09, 2013
So you want to become a blogging superstar huh? Earn the passive income online, do what you love, inspire people and work only a few hours a day? I know how that feels. The temptation is certainly there, to create a successful blog and live the life you always wanted. The main problem that prevents most bloggers from creating a successful business online is the very draw of success in the first place.

Some bloggers think it’s gonna be easy, that you will have to simply just apply some tactics and automate everything.. Then the money will start rolling in.

It isn’t like that. I’ve been at this game for over a year now. I’ve tried so many different things out there and failed a ton of times along the way.

Here are 9 realistic points of advice that can help you gain blogging success

1 – Be good at one thing

In the world of blogging there are so many different aspects to it all.

You can write, do videos, podcasts, webinars or just scout for something cool online to share with others.

It’s tempting to think that you need to do all of them for online success, but that’s not true.

Align yourself with your passion and what you’re good at. Then stick to that ONLY. Keep at it and soon you’ll be known as a professional of that subject in your field. This is how you have real focus online and eliminate distractions. Besides, you don’t want to be the jack-of-all-trades and end up becoming a watered down version of other bloggers.

Stick to one thing only and keep honing that craft. Personally, I only write. I don’t do video or podcasts. I’ve tried them before and not only did I not feel good about it, the content came out mediocre and ultimately useless.

2 – Then grow later

Many bloggers have this mixed up. It’s kind of understandable as all the talk of having massive amount of traffic, eyeballs and subscribers can easily get to you.

Yes, gaining exposure is important, but it’s useless to attract people to your blog filled with mediocre content. You’ve got to attract them, but then also make sure they STAY, and you do that only by being good at something and being recognized for it.

3 – Stop it with the tricks, tactics, hacks and whatever.

“Top 10 Twitter TRICKS…”

“This traffic LOOP-HOLE….”

“AUTOMATE your blog today…”

The list goes on.

Remember this now and forever: These are just tactics. They’re just the icing on the cake.

You need a strong foundation consisting of good content and then you need to create a strategy for yourself. This is why the tired, but true line, “Content is king” is still around. It matters the most. Be good at one thing and then you can grow with all these tactics, otherwise, it’s all going to crumble down as you don’t have a strong foundation with quality content.

4 – If it’s too good to be true, then it’s definitely not true

“Top 10 Twitter TACTICS to gain a million followers overnight”

“This traffic LOOP-HOLE accidentally made me $9,424!”

“AUTOMATE your blog today and earn $(insert another very specific number) while you sleep”

If it sounds too easy, it’s most likely not true at all.

Consider the fact that people, or the “gurus” who are trying to sell you on these ideas are complete scammers and liars.

Don’t fall for them.

Blogging is a business after all. It’s not going to be easy. If it’s as easy as simply buying some cheap “guru” product, then everybody would quit their job and start making tons of cash online today.

5 – It’s okay to spend money before you start making money online

When I started out blogging, like most others, it was my way out of the corporate 9 to 5. I thought it was going to be easy and hence, I didn’t need help at all. I ended up learning everything the hard way on my own. You can do that of course, but why not give yourself a little boost? Put in the money to start investing in a good training programme or even a mentor. These will help you learn things the right way and definitely speed things up.

You don’t want to start out feeling lost and lonely. Or worse, learn all the wrong things that will only slow you down or steer you in the wrong direction.

6 – That being said, you don’t have to do everything on your own

You aren’t the heroic solo-preneur who absolutely has to overcome everything on your own.

Again, it’s tempting to think that way since the internet is supposed to make everything “easy”.

Nope. You’re bound to run into some challenges and discover things you aren’t very good at.

Outsource the things you aren’t passionate about.

Like for me, I write all my content, but I outsource my design and programming, I merely give the directions from there.

It’s also okay to seek help. Put in the effort to ask questions and email other bloggers if they want to work together.

No business is truly a one man-show. Everybody needs help and people work together for success.

7 – Don’t quit your job just yet

How often have you heard of the successful guy who left everything behind to pursue his dream?

Or, they’ve even been fired from work and then they later call it, “The best thing that happened” in their life.

Those are certainly very inspiring stories, but that doesn’t mean you need to follow suit just like that.

This is life. We need to be real. We may have our dreams, but we also have responsibilities in life.

I left my job to do this myself. I paid for it later on when my savings depleted (thanks to a lot of partying).

There’s really nothing wrong with holding on to a job while working on your dream at the side.

If you want to quit your job. Then do it when it’s realistic. Make sure you’ve a substantial amount of savings left aside and also a clear direction and purpose on what to do next.

8 – Ignore everyone and don’t underestimate yourself

Maybe this point is a bit contradictory to seeking help online, but hear me out.

In business, you definitely need to learn all the concepts, theories and also get some help from others.

But you will eventually hit a point where you need to call the shots on your own. This means believing in yourself and doing what you think is right.

And trust me, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

I used to lack a lot of confidence in myself, so much so that I had to get an “Okay” from some other blogger or get the virtual green light by reading up a lot about something online.

I ended up not taking action at all. I also got very confused as everybody else seems to swear by their methods and kept telling me what to do. (This will happen A LOT).

When I finally decided that I would do things my way, real, tangible results came. Don’t ever underestimate yourself. Ignore what others say especially when deep down, it doesn’t feel right to you.

Once you’ve studied and learnt enough, just take action. You’d want to create a business you can truly call your own anyway.

9 – It gets easier

And finally, yes, it gets easier.

It’s going to be tough at first, but it gets easier.

So work hard, believe in yourself and keep pushing.

Online success will come and your dreams will come true

SEE YOU AT THE TOP!!!
SEGUN BABS

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by oshobar(m): 9:51pm On May 09, 2013
smiley

1 Share

Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by africainbusines: 2:03pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hi oshobar,

You have indeed explained the true reality behind blogging. Many people just think they can buy a domain name, host it and slap it with contents, then expect to start making money the next day.
It does not work that way.
Using myself as a personal example, I have been blogging for the past 4 years and what thing I discovered is that I am still learning. Making money with a blog is tough but achievable.
It requires being focused, dedication, commitment and you just have to work hard.
I recently re-launched my blog to focus much more on blogging and helping people understands the strategies to launching a successful blog. It can be seen through my blog here[https://mamzanzi.com/]

1 Like

Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by Nobody: 7:56am On May 25, 2017
41k likes www.facebook.com/maosaspage for 29k, . .
35k likes www.facebook.com/FansOfEazi for 22k
. . 107k Group www./448155652039472 for 32k
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by Ennyforeal(f): 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2017
how can I get ur contact its very important pls
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by jacyhelen(f): 12:08am On Jul 24, 2017
Good info....its sad that everybody including my self is into blogging but for me,i made sure am JSUT into affilate marketing.
Dont wish to compete with any body cos in blog world,almsot everything has been written and posted on the internet.
pls i need help on how to make money in affiliate marketing.
my email is sweetjacyhelen@gmail.com
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by IyiolaOwabumowa(m): 5:26pm On Jul 25, 2017
Here's the post, it's 5000+ words long so I can't post it here, enjoy!

Read the post : http://theincomeblogger.com/traffic-generation-tips
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by Nigerianwriters: 11:59am On Aug 08, 2017
And if you are an upcoming writer, there's one place you can get all the information you need about writing. Check [url]nigerianwritersforum.com[/url]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by yogeshkhetani(m): 6:42am On Aug 14, 2017
This is pretty much well written. Congratulations for those who have become new bloggers. It will be hard for you to fetch money as you seek. You can easily go dejected when you don't earn. For this you will need https://yogeshkhetani.com/blogging-motivation/
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by bobbyANSELEM: 7:32pm On Jul 25, 2019
5 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE GOING INTO BLOGGING.

At first when I started blogging I was inexperienced. I knew absolutely nothing about SEO and that was my major regret.

So, i decided to write this piece of article to bring to your awareness on major SEO Tips you need to know before starting up your blog.

Follow this link to read the major SEO Tips you should know before starting up a blog
Re: 9 Important Things You Should Know Before You Start Blogging by Dbc687: 10:07am On Jul 30, 2019
Apple’s Siri has recognized Davido’s Blow my mind as the most popular song in the world. In a video we sighted, a man could be seen in an interactive session with Siri, when he asked the bot to play the most popular song in the world, and Boom!! Siri played Davido’s blow my mind. Siri is Apple’s voice-controlled personal assistant and she, or he, has been around for several years now.
https://www.dbc.com.ng/2019/07/davidos-blow-my-mind-is-most-popular-song-in-the-world-apples-siri-says-media-users-react/

(1) (Reply)

Guys Guys Guys! Who Else Played This Amazing Childhood Game? (pic) / Yoruba Actors Are Not Paupers, Look At Me - Madam Kofo / origin of dab dance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.